Masala Mama India Pale Ale - Minneapolis Town Hall Brewery

Masala Mama India Pale Ale
No picture uploaded.

Minneapolis Town Hall Brewery visit their website
Minnesota, United States

(Beer added by: Jason on 01-01-2003)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Masala Mama India Pale Ale Alström Bros
AgentZero

4.5/5  rDev +3.4%

A - Clear amber color with a nicely soapy looking white head. Some chunk lacing as I drank which faded into some fine stick as time went on.

S - Really hoppy, a nice amount of citrus, but not too grapefruity, subtle pine notes make up the hop profile. Subtle malt backbone that doesn't detract from the hops or make it to carmelly.

T - I think this might be my favorite IPA, even moreso than PtE and PtY. Would want to do a side by side for comparison. Nicely bitter resin taste with pine notes blends in with the citrus. It's slightly sweet, and balanced by the bitterness which does not become overpowering. The malt backbone is there, but complementary.

M - Finishes bitter, a bit puckering, but not too bad. Definately a medium bodied IPA, with some great carbonation to make it refreshing.

D - Could drink this all day, a great thirst quencher too if you're thirsty.

05-12-2010 14:55:40 | More by AgentZero
kbeals

4.25/5  rDev -2.3%

Growler sent to me by younger35.

A- Dark amber/copper in color with a frothy, billowing white head on top. Excellent lacing left behind, a flawless appearance.

S- Tons of tropical fruits, grapefruit, pineapples, oranges with a hint of pine. The amount of citrus in it leads to a very sweet smell, some of it could be from malts, very caramel like with a bit of toffee.

T- Loads of citrusy hops, pineapple and grapefruit once again. Finishes off very bitter, exactly what I expected. The rating for this could be little higher, but there was just nothing that blew me away about the flavor. It was still good but not over the top good.

M- Medium body, slightly prickly mouthfeel. Hop resin lends an oily characteristic to this one, very pleasing.

D- Very good, easily knocked back two pints of it and probably would have drank more if I didn't have to drive.

Thanks again, Dan! An outstanding brew.

05-09-2010 13:44:08 | More by kbeals
GbVDave

4.68/5  rDev +7.6%

Poured from a 64oz growler into three pint glasses. Thanks to Steve and Chris for the assist! Extra special thanks to Phil and Amanda for bringing this back from MN!

A: Pours a clear copper gold. Sticky off-white head sports good retention, but sadly, hardly any lace was left behind. Carbonation was active.

S: As soon as I cracked the growler, I could smell the hops. I held my freshly poured glass at arms length and I could smell the hops. Yes! A true "three footer." Glorious tropical aromas of apricot, mango, grapefruit, and pineapple with cut grass, caramel, and wildflowers thrown in for good measure.

T: Same as above with the only chink in the armour being that we found the tropicality of the flavor seemed to die off slightly as we closer to the bottom of the growler. Maybe our senses just got used to it?

M: Spicy, prickly, and very sticky. Hop oils stuck to everythingg!

D: Unbelievable and legendary. Worth every bit of the hype!

05-08-2010 23:54:42 | More by GbVDave
mdfb79

4.6/5  rDev +5.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Received a growler of this in a trade with cope0021, thanks man! Poured into my SN 30th Anniversary tulip.

a - Pours a reddish amber color with one finger of off white head that has great retention and lacing. Light carbonation evident.

s - Smells of citrus fruits and hops, especially grapefruit. Also smells of smooth caramel malts. Hint of pine.

t - Tastes of citrus and piney hops, grapefruit, and some smooth caramel or bready malts. Nothing is too overpowering and no real bitterness to it. Quite enjoyable.

m - Medium body and light carbonation, very smooth and creamy.

d - This is a great IPA. At 5.9% ABV this is insanely drinkable; I feel like I could drink this all day. The smell and taste is a great combination of hops and malts and several things are notciable, yet nothing overpowers it. This is not a crazy hop bomb and does not have a lot of bitterness to it, but if you like balanced IPA's you'll love this. Would highly suggest checking out.

04-30-2010 21:35:35 | More by mdfb79
ahalloin

4.45/5  rDev +2.3%

Live review at Town Hall.

A: Brought to me straight from the tap with a full two finger width head of off-white. Fluid appears as a bold goldish copper color. More copper than gold. A slight haze creeps through the beer.

S: As soon as the pour finished, my nose was in the glass. A two-timing Pinnochio wouldn't have beaten my nose for a sniff. The waft of hops is absolutely intoxicating!! I brew my on sometimes and this aroma beat the beautiful unleashing of a vacuum sealed package of cascade hops!! I feel like I'm sniffing the vine on an early fall day. Bursting with floral citrus, this aroma is second to none. Sweet grapefruit with earthy undertones permeate this magnificent bouquet.

T: The taste is very nicely balanced: hops being the focal point with some residual sweetness to balance out the bitterness and citrus. Bitter finish comes out on the slighter side of dry with a tiny bit of lingering caramel.

M: The mouthfeel is good with a medium-low carbonation.

D: The drinkability is good with a pleasing citrus hop profile and dry bitter finish that I find highly consumable.

This is one of the greats.

04-30-2010 19:03:10 | More by ahalloin
olympuszymurgus

4.6/5  rDev +5.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I'd like to thank the mully..beautiful!

The package arrives, like on Christmas days of yore, I tear through the packaging to retrieve the innards. The growler I place in the fridge for another day.
One day passes...
I remove the tape seal and then the cap. With a hiss, the growler reveals a fiery aroma of grapefruits. I giggle and pour into three glasses. As the amber liquid bubbles and releases more and more grapefruit, I begin to notice the subtler piney and crystal malt flavors. It is an astounding smell, one of the best smelling IPAs I've experienced. The hops punish the palate with reasonability (Everything we do is reasonable) whilst the caramel malt sets the tone with unfermentables to make the body a touch bigger. Finishes very dry with the starches and hop finish combo. Absolutely excellent

04-30-2010 07:11:00 | More by olympuszymurgus
BeerFMAndy

3.98/5  rDev -8.5%

64 oz growler shared and poured into an American tumbler pint. 5-5 written on cap. (Tapped over DLD weekend and brought down).

Thanks, Beerwolf77, for having me come over to share this guy.

A - Poured into the pint, the beer was a lightly hazy golden orange-amber color with a thin tan head floating on top. Good retention held on for a while and left the small area of glass coated in thin lace.

S - The aroma is low but good with a nice aromatic hop nose of flower pedals and grapefruit citrus with pine resins and a nice caramel and toast backbone. A solid IPA aroma all around.

T - The flavor has a strong pine and hop resin kick to the taste followed up by a pretty potent bitter grapefruit citrus finish. The Backbone that holds it all together is a good balance of toasted caramel malts.

M - Masala is medium-bodied and fairly smooth with a pretty decent carbonation sparkle to the finish. It's also got to have pretty high IBUs cause it's got one bitter kick to it.

D - The bitterness is pretty strong, not that deters very much, but otherwise its a really good IPA with solid drinkability. It's definitely not something I'd session but two pints would be a tasty treat.

04-29-2010 12:15:19 | More by BeerFMAndy
MrMcGibblets

4.47/5  rDev +2.8%

thanks to FreshmanPour77 for bringing me a fresh growler in great condition.
A: clear light amber, slight chill haze disappears quickly, nice creamy eggshell head is dense and lasting. gobs of lace.
S: oranges, grapefruit mostly with some resiny pine and toffeeish malts.
T: above flavors continue with light/medium sweet caramel malts very well balanced by smooth yet prominent bitter hops.
M: frothy, lively. just under medium in body. a crisp yet lingering and drying bitter finish.
D: great stuff and under 6% abv which i like.

04-26-2010 14:00:40 | More by MrMcGibblets
BarrytheBear

4.28/5  rDev -1.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

About time I've rated this beer

Growler into a Duvel tulip

Murky copper pour that settles nicely with a thin head that covers the entire surface

I have a difficult time pinning down this beer, as each time I've had it yields a different result. Inconsistent batches? Power of suggestion? Incompetent rater of beers? You decide.

Aroma yields grassiness, hint of pine, and faint citrus. Have to really agitate the hell out of this to pull out much on the nose.

Really nice tastes of grass, melon. faded grapefruit, and a very mild bitterness at the finish with a fair smack of malt. Quite clean on the back end.

Appropriate carbonation, medium bodied, enjoyable.

04-06-2010 01:32:12 | More by BarrytheBear
Lunch

Maryland

4.55/5  rDev +4.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

Served from a 64oz. growler acquired from a trade with chixdighops and nbeattie (Thanks!) into my Brooklyn Brewery snifter at the appropriate temperature (03/20/10)

A: Pours darker than expected and looks like a DIPA. Nice dark golden copper with a slight mahogany hue, capped with 2 finger of an off-white head. Great retention and lots of lace left on the inside of the glass.

S: Great nose that is intense with pine and citrus hops. A nice sweet malty backbone as well.

T: Well...this certainly lives up to the hype! The palate is hit with some many intense flavors with pine and citrus hops dominating along with a fairly sweet, but never cloying, caramel/toffee malt. Layer of tropical fruit, orange, mango, lemon, pine, grapefruit, and some citrus zest.

M: Medium to full-bodied with some appropriate carbonation that was lively yet creamy. Perfect in every way.

D: It is shocking that this beer is 5.9% as it is so complex and so full flavored, but I must say that this is extremely easy to drink and it certainly drinks like a 5.9% IPA or even below.

Overall this was a great IPA and my first beer from Minneapolis Town Hall Brewery. Lives up to the hype and then some. Thanks again Megan and Nick! Highly Recommended.

04-01-2010 19:05:57 | More by Lunch
champ103

4.18/5  rDev -3.9%

A huge thanks to GregMcQ for sharing this with me and some other BA's.

A: Pours a copper/orange color. A perfect, frothy, two finger white head forms with excellent retention. Sticky lace is left in rings. Really impressive coming from a growler.
S: Juicy hops up front. Citrus, pine, grapefruit. Some buttery malt balances everything out well.
T: Follows the nose. Tons of juicy hops. Citrus, pine, grapefruit. A substantial bitterness, but it does not overpower. Well balances with some residual sweetness lingering.
M/D: A medium body. Very crisp and dry. Creamy and smooth at the same time. So easy to drink. A relatively low alcohol IPA, and something that is not just bitter. I can put a few away with no problem.

This is an excellent IPA, and I am not a big fan of the style. I really enjoyed this. So much hop flavor going on. That is the key, hop flavor, not bitterness. Highly recommended.

03-22-2010 14:46:19 | More by champ103
hayesez

Indiana

4.43/5  rDev +1.8%

"Justn" sent this to me from St. Paul in a recent trade. Sat in my fridge for one day before opening.

Split with three buddies after a day of NCAA men's March Madness upsets! Poured into Rose Polytechnic beer glasses.

Pours a deep bronze that begins very cloudy but quickly separates to a frothy light tan head and a crystal clear amber body. The thick three-finger head very slowly retreats to a thin bubbled cap that remains throughout the entirety of the beer. Thick bubbled lace is left the entire way down, with distinct rings left at each intermission. Very impressive.

From the moment I uncapped this one, I could smell those cascade hops. Sweet citrus - grapefruit, orange and probably several others that I can't separate. Nice flowery aroma to complement the fruit.

A very full bodied beer with a heavy malt backbone. The hops are definitely out front, however, with the citrusy palate presenting itself as I had hoped given the smell. Sweet citrus transitioning quickly to a crisp, clean bitter finish. Definitely grapefruit in there as well as others, I'm sure - not quite as sweet as the smell. This medium-bodied brew has a wonderfully creamy feel to it that is balanced by just the right amount of carbonation. The finishing bitterness ended up being a bit too much by the end of my third glass, but this is the only thing I can think of to detract from the taste.

Overall, just an outstanding brew. There is a lot of hype surrounding this beer. Last May, I was supposed to have my first pint (at the brewery) the night before my buddy's wedding. However, my wife had to go and get pregnant nine months earlier. I managed to get numerous phone calls from the wedding party that night, gloating over what I was missing. Well, even after travelling 600 miles in the back of a truck, this one lived up to its reputation. A quality beverage indeed!

Consumed: 3/21/2010

03-21-2010 06:51:59 | More by hayesez
armock

4.18/5  rDev -3.9%

Thanks to GregMcQ for sharing a growler with me and some other BAs.

A - Poured a copper color with a white head that leaves lacing behind all day

S - Is a nose full of hops giving off citrus scents

T - Follows the nose its hops juice lots of citrus hops everywhere

M - This beer has a medium body with medium carbonation to it

D - This is a very good IPA with a good taste that makes me wish I could have more its worth hunting down to try

03-16-2010 21:58:15 | More by armock
PeprSprYoFace

4.78/5  rDev +9.9%

Thanks to younger for this brew. Shared with my homebrew club out of the growler.

Pours a clear red amber color. Very nice head and lacing.

Aroma screams hops. Lots of juicy fruits and mostly citrus. Maybe a little peaches. Nice maltiness.

Flavor is excellent. Lots of hops but mostly flavor hops. I love tons of flavor hops as opposed to bittering hops. But bitter is good too. The malt plays very nicely with the hops. Sooo tasty.

Mouthfeel is perfect. Surprised the carbonation survived so well in the growler.

Overall I would bathe in this stuff and pound a whole keg to myself. Very tasty.

03-13-2010 05:04:15 | More by PeprSprYoFace
mykie73

Oregon

3.15/5  rDev -27.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

Was looking forward to trying this. Thanks Ipafool for sharing your growler.

a) bubbly head that would not go away. Amberish pale color which seems like it will have a large malt backbone. Head looks great.

s) without a doubt the best part of this beer. tropic, floral, citris, pineapple. smells awesome.

t): and it falls apart here. It's not bad but I think it's much more of a pale ale than anything. I tasted some grapefruit and a lot of flowers. I imagine it would taste better with fresh hops as it has that floralness to it. finishes more sweet than dry (like stone) to my palate but there is indeed some lingering bitterness in the aftermath

m): carbonated,coated mouth adequately.

d) we had a growler with four people, but people did not want to drink more than one glass. It's sesionalbe and easy to drink...I was just more, for a lack of better term, bored with it. The growler was in good shape and only 4 days old....overall, the appeal of this beer is a mystery to me. Next time, I visit my sister, I'll have to try it on tap. Glad I tried it though. It was a great smelling beer.

03-05-2010 21:55:23 | More by mykie73
cpetrone84

4.68/5  rDev +7.6%

A-pours a brilliant glowing reddish copper color liquid that has a nice op haze. the head is thick, pillowy, off white in color. Lots of head from an aggressive pour that has huge retention and sticks all over the glass. Looks so good!

S-the nose is big and hoppy, good caramel malt with floral notes hitting the nose hard, extremely oily and juicy, tons of grapefruit take over and don't quit with plenty of pine to accompany. Big time single IPA, very impressive nose!

T-the taste is big, thick and syrupy. floral esters are light but present, strong caramel malt to balance the huge hop presence, grapefruit comes in hard and the taste is quite big. A big time oily hop flavor, hints oily pine, more grapefruit bitterness at the finish that doesn't linger at all. this is a hop-a-rific beer!

M-smooth and creamy, full to medium body. wow is this thick and syrupy, creamy but smooth. Light carbonation, crisp finish but not biting at all. it is wet and juicy throughout coating the mouth completely.

D-this is an exceptional beer, notes of balance with big time hop flavors, great mouthfeel, easy drinking. This would rival most double IPA's for supremecy, gives the feel of a pliny, right up there with anything else, the only thing that keeps it from the perfect score is the huge oily hops that do seem to stick a little

03-02-2010 23:54:43 | More by cpetrone84
kjyost

Manitoba (Canada)

4.22/5  rDev -3%

Enjoyed this beer while meeting other BA's. Had this on both cask and on-tap back to back. Either way a great beer.

On cask, the beer is served an orangish- yellow with a rich fluffy white head atop it. The aroma has aromatic hops, although not nearly as strong as when on-tap. The beer has a wonderful bitterness and aroma that is well balanced atop a somewhat dry, yet malty body. The bitterness is softer in the cask version of this beer.

The cask version has a beautiful light and fluffy mouthfeel that is unlike any other beer I have tried and finishes bitterly and lingers nicely.

One of the best IPAs I have ever had.

Serving type: cask

02-24-2010 01:15:54 | More by kjyost
beerwolf77

4.5/5  rDev +3.4%

Spent the evening with friends at Town Hall and got to finally enjoy this beer.

My pint arrived at the table with a two finger white head. The Mama is a rusty red orange and fairly clear. Spotty lace left around the rim.

The aroma is pure hoppy goodness. Floral and juicy hop cones fill my nostrils with an array of citrus and pine.

The flavor is mouth watering grapefruit and oranges. Some pine resin but more sweet then bitter. How this isn't classified as a Double IPA is beyond my comprehension. Spectacular layers of flavor.

Medium body with a juicy finish. Moderate carbonation.

Overall a great beer. I'm so glad I was able to get to Town Hall to sample this world class brew.

02-16-2010 01:48:00 | More by beerwolf77
Tiklmelmo

4.53/5  rDev +4.1%

A - Slightly cloudy burnt orange / golden color with a quarter inch of thin head that does leave a fair bit of lacing for as little as there was of it.

S - Serious burst of fresh hoppy grapefruit and pine aromas. Smells like there's a handful of hops in my glass.

T - Big bitter grapefruit, with moderate to low malt character. Plenty of piney resiny goodness as well. Top notch. Only thing keeping this from a 5 is a hair more bitterness in the finish than I'd prefer.

M - Pretty full-bodied. Nice mouthfeel with moderate carbonation. Nothing bad to say here.

D - Polished off the first pint pretty darn fast. It's going to be no problem finishing this growler.

Very nice IPA. Has the big body and complexity of something with a lot more alcohol, but in a good way (no hot alcohol flavors). If you're looking for huge fresh hop flavor, this is right up there with the best.

02-07-2010 01:45:48 | More by Tiklmelmo
Wisconsinality

4.33/5  rDev -0.5%

Poured from growler into Duvel Tulip.

A- Pours a nice amber that is transparent. About a half inch worth of head that dissipates quickly and leaves some good lacing on the side of the glass. Tiny bubbles make their way up the side of the glass.

S- A nice array of floral hops with a little bit of pine in there. The malt is barely detectable over the burst of hops. Also there seems to be a faint grassiness in there.

T- The first taste is a rush of hops that is surprisingly smooth without a lot of bitterness. Pretty piney much like the smell and there is barely any malt to speak of. This tastes almost like a DIPA but without the alcohol peaking through.

M- As it should be, this is a medium bodied brew with nice carbonation. What intrigued me was there wasn't the up front bitterness that usually accompanies an IPA. I like.

D- When I was at the brewpub I was able to have three of these and was able to get the full effect every time. No real palate fatigue to speak of and since it has a low ABV, it makes for a great session beer. It's a shame that you can only get it at the brewpub and it is 6 hours from Milwaukee. If you get a chance, do so, you won't be disappointed.

02-05-2010 05:07:09 | More by Wisconsinality
weatherdog

4.4/5  rDev +1.1%

Served in a pint glass on cask at the brewpub

The beer was freshly poured as it came to our table evident by the cascading bubble action still happening in the glass. It was a crystal clear orange color with a frothy off white head that kept its position throughout the whole pint. Nice layers of lacing coated the glass as well. The whole appearance really impressed me.

The smell was loaded with orange and grapefruit. It was heavy, fresh, and juicy. The taste was very much the same with the exception of an introduction of the right amount of bready malt to slightly balance the bitterness. This is my first IPA on cask and I'm not sure if its the beer, the oxygen or the low carbonation but it is the smoothest bitterness and most easy drinking silky smooth beer. Up front is is juicy fresh citrus fruit that seemingly glide down your throat and as soon as it's gone you find yourself taking another sip. Just a great well rounded IPA.

I visited the brewpub exclusively to have this beer which I had heard so much about. It lived up to my expectation and was probably the best IPA experience I've had so far. Drinking this beer on cask in front of giant windows that peered into the mash tun and boil kettle that birthed this brew just added to the experience.

Serving type: cask

02-03-2010 19:14:06 | More by weatherdog
BuckeyeOne

Washington

3.15/5  rDev -27.6%

I've had this twice now at Minneapolis Town Hall on business trips. The first time I had this I had it with a burger after drinking a few other IPAs at a joint down the street. I didn't particularly enjoy it but thought this was due to my lack of palate from earlier IPAs and the food that I had. The next (and last) time I tried this it was my first beer of the day and I drank it without food at the same time; however, it was the same --- I just didn't dig it that much.

Being a West Coast hop head, I thought that maybe something was wrong with me. This is one hoppy beer and very bitter. I could note the pine and citrus in the nose and amber color said tasty IPA. But here's the thing, it was just bitter. No malt backbone at all. It was like drinking liquid hops. My brain kept telling me that this is the good thing --- hop heads like hops. But my taste buds said they didn't like it.

Normally, I'll follow up one good IPA with another. Both times I stopped at Town Hall and had a Masala Mama, I didn't want another.

01-26-2010 18:47:08 | More by BuckeyeOne
number1bum

4.45/5  rDev +2.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Fresh growler shared by mymrnngjckt at a recent tasting.

Poured a somewhat hazy burnt orange color. Nice creamy head that kept really well.

Smell was full of grapefruit and pine, with tons of both. Pithy grapefruit and fresh spruce sprigs.

Likewise with the taste, with a ton of grapefruit flavor and so much pine that I felt like I was munching on a spruce branch, but in a good way. Nice amount of bitternes and just a ton of hop flavor.

Mouthfeel was medium bodied and quite dry in the finish with the herbal hop bitterness. Prickly, active carbonation as well.

This was my first time having Masala Mama and it did not disappoint. So drinkable and so tasty. Great beer.

01-25-2010 03:15:11 | More by number1bum
ThreeWiseMen

4.3/5  rDev -1.1%

Tried this courtesy of barleywinefiend at last night's central coast BA gathering. Thanks Josh!

Poured into a snifter.

Appearance: Pour yielded a big, white, sticky, bubbly head that retained well and drug tons of lacing. Body is crystal clear and ruby-amber. Awesome!

Smell: Huge herbal hops! Wow! I also catch whiffs of toasted bread, whole grains, and grapefruit, but this smell is all about sweet, herbal hops. I got very close to giving this a 5.0.

Taste: Toasted whole grains and piney hops, along with lighter contributions from lemon, grapefruit, salt, and wood. Finishes dry and bitter. Not as sweet as I had hoped, but solid.

Mouthfeel: Prickly and oily, but finished dry and clean. Body is on the lighter side, and carbonation is moderate. Feels fresh. Sturdy bitterness. Great!

Drinkability: Pretty light and very hop-centric. I'd like a little more sweetness, but that's about it. This is a great IPA!

01-24-2010 18:09:08 | More by ThreeWiseMen
barleywinefiend

Washington

4.1/5  rDev -5.7%

Poured a light orangish color with good carbonation. Nose is outstanding. Fresh hops, floral, dry itterness and caramel. Taste is very smooth and subtle. Floral notes, just enough hop bittering, balanced, light booze. Mouthfeel is a bit think, dry and floral. Very drinkable.

01-24-2010 15:46:15 | More by barleywinefiend