Masala Mama India Pale Ale - Minneapolis Town Hall Brewery

Masala Mama India Pale Ale
No picture uploaded.

Minneapolis Town Hall Brewery visit their website
Minnesota, United States

(Beer added by: Jason on 01-01-2003)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Masala Mama India Pale Ale Alström Bros
champ103

4.18/5  rDev -3.9%

A huge thanks to GregMcQ for sharing this with me and some other BA's.

A: Pours a copper/orange color. A perfect, frothy, two finger white head forms with excellent retention. Sticky lace is left in rings. Really impressive coming from a growler.
S: Juicy hops up front. Citrus, pine, grapefruit. Some buttery malt balances everything out well.
T: Follows the nose. Tons of juicy hops. Citrus, pine, grapefruit. A substantial bitterness, but it does not overpower. Well balances with some residual sweetness lingering.
M/D: A medium body. Very crisp and dry. Creamy and smooth at the same time. So easy to drink. A relatively low alcohol IPA, and something that is not just bitter. I can put a few away with no problem.

This is an excellent IPA, and I am not a big fan of the style. I really enjoyed this. So much hop flavor going on. That is the key, hop flavor, not bitterness. Highly recommended.

03-22-2010 14:46:19 | More by champ103
hayesez

Indiana

4.43/5  rDev +1.8%

"Justn" sent this to me from St. Paul in a recent trade. Sat in my fridge for one day before opening.

Split with three buddies after a day of NCAA men's March Madness upsets! Poured into Rose Polytechnic beer glasses.

Pours a deep bronze that begins very cloudy but quickly separates to a frothy light tan head and a crystal clear amber body. The thick three-finger head very slowly retreats to a thin bubbled cap that remains throughout the entirety of the beer. Thick bubbled lace is left the entire way down, with distinct rings left at each intermission. Very impressive.

From the moment I uncapped this one, I could smell those cascade hops. Sweet citrus - grapefruit, orange and probably several others that I can't separate. Nice flowery aroma to complement the fruit.

A very full bodied beer with a heavy malt backbone. The hops are definitely out front, however, with the citrusy palate presenting itself as I had hoped given the smell. Sweet citrus transitioning quickly to a crisp, clean bitter finish. Definitely grapefruit in there as well as others, I'm sure - not quite as sweet as the smell. This medium-bodied brew has a wonderfully creamy feel to it that is balanced by just the right amount of carbonation. The finishing bitterness ended up being a bit too much by the end of my third glass, but this is the only thing I can think of to detract from the taste.

Overall, just an outstanding brew. There is a lot of hype surrounding this beer. Last May, I was supposed to have my first pint (at the brewery) the night before my buddy's wedding. However, my wife had to go and get pregnant nine months earlier. I managed to get numerous phone calls from the wedding party that night, gloating over what I was missing. Well, even after travelling 600 miles in the back of a truck, this one lived up to its reputation. A quality beverage indeed!

Consumed: 3/21/2010

03-21-2010 06:51:59 | More by hayesez
armock

4.18/5  rDev -3.9%

Thanks to GregMcQ for sharing a growler with me and some other BAs.

A - Poured a copper color with a white head that leaves lacing behind all day

S - Is a nose full of hops giving off citrus scents

T - Follows the nose its hops juice lots of citrus hops everywhere

M - This beer has a medium body with medium carbonation to it

D - This is a very good IPA with a good taste that makes me wish I could have more its worth hunting down to try

03-16-2010 21:58:15 | More by armock
PeprSprYoFace

4.78/5  rDev +9.9%

Thanks to younger for this brew. Shared with my homebrew club out of the growler.

Pours a clear red amber color. Very nice head and lacing.

Aroma screams hops. Lots of juicy fruits and mostly citrus. Maybe a little peaches. Nice maltiness.

Flavor is excellent. Lots of hops but mostly flavor hops. I love tons of flavor hops as opposed to bittering hops. But bitter is good too. The malt plays very nicely with the hops. Sooo tasty.

Mouthfeel is perfect. Surprised the carbonation survived so well in the growler.

Overall I would bathe in this stuff and pound a whole keg to myself. Very tasty.

03-13-2010 05:04:15 | More by PeprSprYoFace
mykie73

Oregon

3.15/5  rDev -27.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

Was looking forward to trying this. Thanks Ipafool for sharing your growler.

a) bubbly head that would not go away. Amberish pale color which seems like it will have a large malt backbone. Head looks great.

s) without a doubt the best part of this beer. tropic, floral, citris, pineapple. smells awesome.

t): and it falls apart here. It's not bad but I think it's much more of a pale ale than anything. I tasted some grapefruit and a lot of flowers. I imagine it would taste better with fresh hops as it has that floralness to it. finishes more sweet than dry (like stone) to my palate but there is indeed some lingering bitterness in the aftermath

m): carbonated,coated mouth adequately.

d) we had a growler with four people, but people did not want to drink more than one glass. It's sesionalbe and easy to drink...I was just more, for a lack of better term, bored with it. The growler was in good shape and only 4 days old....overall, the appeal of this beer is a mystery to me. Next time, I visit my sister, I'll have to try it on tap. Glad I tried it though. It was a great smelling beer.

03-05-2010 21:55:23 | More by mykie73
cpetrone84

4.68/5  rDev +7.6%

A-pours a brilliant glowing reddish copper color liquid that has a nice op haze. the head is thick, pillowy, off white in color. Lots of head from an aggressive pour that has huge retention and sticks all over the glass. Looks so good!

S-the nose is big and hoppy, good caramel malt with floral notes hitting the nose hard, extremely oily and juicy, tons of grapefruit take over and don't quit with plenty of pine to accompany. Big time single IPA, very impressive nose!

T-the taste is big, thick and syrupy. floral esters are light but present, strong caramel malt to balance the huge hop presence, grapefruit comes in hard and the taste is quite big. A big time oily hop flavor, hints oily pine, more grapefruit bitterness at the finish that doesn't linger at all. this is a hop-a-rific beer!

M-smooth and creamy, full to medium body. wow is this thick and syrupy, creamy but smooth. Light carbonation, crisp finish but not biting at all. it is wet and juicy throughout coating the mouth completely.

D-this is an exceptional beer, notes of balance with big time hop flavors, great mouthfeel, easy drinking. This would rival most double IPA's for supremecy, gives the feel of a pliny, right up there with anything else, the only thing that keeps it from the perfect score is the huge oily hops that do seem to stick a little

03-02-2010 23:54:43 | More by cpetrone84
kjyost

Manitoba (Canada)

4.22/5  rDev -3%

Enjoyed this beer while meeting other BA's. Had this on both cask and on-tap back to back. Either way a great beer.

On cask, the beer is served an orangish- yellow with a rich fluffy white head atop it. The aroma has aromatic hops, although not nearly as strong as when on-tap. The beer has a wonderful bitterness and aroma that is well balanced atop a somewhat dry, yet malty body. The bitterness is softer in the cask version of this beer.

The cask version has a beautiful light and fluffy mouthfeel that is unlike any other beer I have tried and finishes bitterly and lingers nicely.

One of the best IPAs I have ever had.

Serving type: cask

02-24-2010 01:15:54 | More by kjyost
beerwolf77

Wisconsin

4.5/5  rDev +3.4%

Spent the evening with friends at Town Hall and got to finally enjoy this beer.

My pint arrived at the table with a two finger white head. The Mama is a rusty red orange and fairly clear. Spotty lace left around the rim.

The aroma is pure hoppy goodness. Floral and juicy hop cones fill my nostrils with an array of citrus and pine.

The flavor is mouth watering grapefruit and oranges. Some pine resin but more sweet then bitter. How this isn't classified as a Double IPA is beyond my comprehension. Spectacular layers of flavor.

Medium body with a juicy finish. Moderate carbonation.

Overall a great beer. I'm so glad I was able to get to Town Hall to sample this world class brew.

02-16-2010 01:48:00 | More by beerwolf77
Tiklmelmo

4.53/5  rDev +4.1%

A - Slightly cloudy burnt orange / golden color with a quarter inch of thin head that does leave a fair bit of lacing for as little as there was of it.

S - Serious burst of fresh hoppy grapefruit and pine aromas. Smells like there's a handful of hops in my glass.

T - Big bitter grapefruit, with moderate to low malt character. Plenty of piney resiny goodness as well. Top notch. Only thing keeping this from a 5 is a hair more bitterness in the finish than I'd prefer.

M - Pretty full-bodied. Nice mouthfeel with moderate carbonation. Nothing bad to say here.

D - Polished off the first pint pretty darn fast. It's going to be no problem finishing this growler.

Very nice IPA. Has the big body and complexity of something with a lot more alcohol, but in a good way (no hot alcohol flavors). If you're looking for huge fresh hop flavor, this is right up there with the best.

02-07-2010 01:45:48 | More by Tiklmelmo
Wisconsinality

Wisconsin

4.33/5  rDev -0.5%

Poured from growler into Duvel Tulip.

A- Pours a nice amber that is transparent. About a half inch worth of head that dissipates quickly and leaves some good lacing on the side of the glass. Tiny bubbles make their way up the side of the glass.

S- A nice array of floral hops with a little bit of pine in there. The malt is barely detectable over the burst of hops. Also there seems to be a faint grassiness in there.

T- The first taste is a rush of hops that is surprisingly smooth without a lot of bitterness. Pretty piney much like the smell and there is barely any malt to speak of. This tastes almost like a DIPA but without the alcohol peaking through.

M- As it should be, this is a medium bodied brew with nice carbonation. What intrigued me was there wasn't the up front bitterness that usually accompanies an IPA. I like.

D- When I was at the brewpub I was able to have three of these and was able to get the full effect every time. No real palate fatigue to speak of and since it has a low ABV, it makes for a great session beer. It's a shame that you can only get it at the brewpub and it is 6 hours from Milwaukee. If you get a chance, do so, you won't be disappointed.

02-05-2010 05:07:09 | More by Wisconsinality
weatherdog

4.4/5  rDev +1.1%

Served in a pint glass on cask at the brewpub

The beer was freshly poured as it came to our table evident by the cascading bubble action still happening in the glass. It was a crystal clear orange color with a frothy off white head that kept its position throughout the whole pint. Nice layers of lacing coated the glass as well. The whole appearance really impressed me.

The smell was loaded with orange and grapefruit. It was heavy, fresh, and juicy. The taste was very much the same with the exception of an introduction of the right amount of bready malt to slightly balance the bitterness. This is my first IPA on cask and I'm not sure if its the beer, the oxygen or the low carbonation but it is the smoothest bitterness and most easy drinking silky smooth beer. Up front is is juicy fresh citrus fruit that seemingly glide down your throat and as soon as it's gone you find yourself taking another sip. Just a great well rounded IPA.

I visited the brewpub exclusively to have this beer which I had heard so much about. It lived up to my expectation and was probably the best IPA experience I've had so far. Drinking this beer on cask in front of giant windows that peered into the mash tun and boil kettle that birthed this brew just added to the experience.

Serving type: cask

02-03-2010 19:14:06 | More by weatherdog
BuckeyeOne

Washington

3.15/5  rDev -27.6%

I've had this twice now at Minneapolis Town Hall on business trips. The first time I had this I had it with a burger after drinking a few other IPAs at a joint down the street. I didn't particularly enjoy it but thought this was due to my lack of palate from earlier IPAs and the food that I had. The next (and last) time I tried this it was my first beer of the day and I drank it without food at the same time; however, it was the same --- I just didn't dig it that much.

Being a West Coast hop head, I thought that maybe something was wrong with me. This is one hoppy beer and very bitter. I could note the pine and citrus in the nose and amber color said tasty IPA. But here's the thing, it was just bitter. No malt backbone at all. It was like drinking liquid hops. My brain kept telling me that this is the good thing --- hop heads like hops. But my taste buds said they didn't like it.

Normally, I'll follow up one good IPA with another. Both times I stopped at Town Hall and had a Masala Mama, I didn't want another.

01-26-2010 18:47:08 | More by BuckeyeOne
number1bum

4.45/5  rDev +2.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Fresh growler shared by mymrnngjckt at a recent tasting.

Poured a somewhat hazy burnt orange color. Nice creamy head that kept really well.

Smell was full of grapefruit and pine, with tons of both. Pithy grapefruit and fresh spruce sprigs.

Likewise with the taste, with a ton of grapefruit flavor and so much pine that I felt like I was munching on a spruce branch, but in a good way. Nice amount of bitternes and just a ton of hop flavor.

Mouthfeel was medium bodied and quite dry in the finish with the herbal hop bitterness. Prickly, active carbonation as well.

This was my first time having Masala Mama and it did not disappoint. So drinkable and so tasty. Great beer.

01-25-2010 03:15:11 | More by number1bum
ThreeWiseMen

4.3/5  rDev -1.1%

Tried this courtesy of barleywinefiend at last night's central coast BA gathering. Thanks Josh!

Poured into a snifter.

Appearance: Pour yielded a big, white, sticky, bubbly head that retained well and drug tons of lacing. Body is crystal clear and ruby-amber. Awesome!

Smell: Huge herbal hops! Wow! I also catch whiffs of toasted bread, whole grains, and grapefruit, but this smell is all about sweet, herbal hops. I got very close to giving this a 5.0.

Taste: Toasted whole grains and piney hops, along with lighter contributions from lemon, grapefruit, salt, and wood. Finishes dry and bitter. Not as sweet as I had hoped, but solid.

Mouthfeel: Prickly and oily, but finished dry and clean. Body is on the lighter side, and carbonation is moderate. Feels fresh. Sturdy bitterness. Great!

Drinkability: Pretty light and very hop-centric. I'd like a little more sweetness, but that's about it. This is a great IPA!

01-24-2010 18:09:08 | More by ThreeWiseMen
barleywinefiend

Washington

4.1/5  rDev -5.7%

Poured a light orangish color with good carbonation. Nose is outstanding. Fresh hops, floral, dry itterness and caramel. Taste is very smooth and subtle. Floral notes, just enough hop bittering, balanced, light booze. Mouthfeel is a bit think, dry and floral. Very drinkable.

01-24-2010 15:46:15 | More by barleywinefiend
pdoran10

4.43/5  rDev +1.8%

Finally made it over to Town Hall to try this one this holiday season with family.

This beer was the first thing on my mind when I walked through the heavy oak front door even though I hadn't eaten in six hours. Ordered one right away from our server who was excited that someone was getting this great beer. Haha, he's getting me even more interested. The waiter came back quickly with a pint of this. It was dark amber in appearance with a bit of lacing on the top of the glass that looked like it was from a decent amount of head, but no head was left.

The smell was surprisingly not that strong considering the beer's dark color. I get a bit of citrus and some hops nothing spectacular.

The taste is crisp and very clean. Again, citrus and a good amount of malt that is blended well. Very refreshing and not super flavorful but the flavor that is there is well done.

Mouth feel is good, about what to expect from an IPA not too thick, not too watery.

This beer really shines in it's drinkability. I like the taste a lot, but its not overwhelming at all and extremely sessionable. That reminds me, I need to go get the empty growler on my fridge refilled with this soon. Great beer.

01-23-2010 11:00:26 | More by pdoran10
billab914

4.58/5  rDev +5.3%

Thanks to biniek13 for sending me a growler of this and crossing another off my want list. Poured from a growler into my Dogfish shaped pint glass. pours a dark amber color with a off-white half inch head. The head subsided but left a nice covering on top of the beer and left excellent lacing on the glass.

Aroma is dominated by the pine and citrus from the hops. There are notes of Grapefruit and pineapple with a little sweetness. The taste is a lot like the nose only the sweetness is more present. The pine, grapefruit and pineapple all come through along with a moderate bitter finish. I love the sweetness to it, it's not overdone and the bitterness helps balance it out as well.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied with moderate carbonation. Drinkability is excellent, it's not going to take the two of us long to finish this growler. It's very good tasting and at a pretty decent abv% that makes it even more drinkable. I would drink this beer all the time if it were possible. I was slightly worried that this was a "hype" beer and not worth going out of my way to get a growler, but I am very happy I did. Easily one of my favorite IPA's

01-16-2010 22:32:31 | More by billab914
BearsOnAcid

3.4/5  rDev -21.8%

I've been waiting to try this for a while and a final thanks to mnjeff for this!

The beer poured out darker than I imagined. Straight-up dark amber color. Smell was mainly hoppy. A piney hop scent mixed with a bit of spicyness. The head was normal. Lacing was normal for the style.

The taste had a crisp hop flavor right off the bat. A little bit of caramel malt shined through on the finish. Mouthfeel was nicely carbonated with a little creaminess.

This beer was insanely easy to drink, and that's what I like most about it. I just see this as an easy drinking IPA and nothing to rave about. It tasted good but I can name a ton of IPAs that I like more, many of which are accessible to me. If this was widely available I could see it getting lost in the shuffle. I'm still glad to have tried it though.

01-10-2010 23:53:41 | More by BearsOnAcid
womencantsail

4.22/5  rDev -3%

Huge thanks to BigDank for sending me this growler. Shared with my girlfriend's dad before Christmas dinner.

A: Poured from the growler to the glass to reveal a perfectly copper colored beer with a fluffy off-white head.

S: Lots of great grapefruit and pine aromas fill the nose. There is also a hint of sweet tropical fruit, such as pineapple and mango, on the finish.

T: The same great fruits that were present in the aroma are picked up on the tongue as well, but perhaps not quite as intense. There is also a nice bitterness on the finish.

M: Despite the long trip in the growler, this beer was still very well carbonated. A nice medium body on this beer.

D: This is definitely one of the more hoppy and aromatic IPAs that I've had from outside California. A very easy drinking, one, however. And at 5.9% ABV, it's not too tough to have a few glasses of.

12-26-2009 05:05:15 | More by womencantsail
photomike

3.33/5  rDev -23.4%

Pours copper in color ("like a penny," as noted by bulletrain76 Senior), with moderate wet lacing and minimal retention. "Meh."

Smells quite malty--very bready, with a nice wallop of herbal, pine hops.

Taste is surprisingly malty as well. This ain't your West Coast IPA, pal. Strongly bitter with more pine hops and a bit of mandarin orange/mango flavor. Tasty, but nowhere near a world-class IPA, IMO. There's nothing here that keeps me wanting more--simply a basic IPA that lacks balance and harmony.

Semi creamy and nicely carbonated, but somewhat light in the body. Not bad.

The light body and crisp finish makes this go down easy, but I'm not horribly interested in drinking more.

Far from worth trading for a growler, especially in the land where the Pliny flows in the streets like so much runoff. I hate to sound like an elitist, but I think the homers may have inflated the ratings for this one.

12-07-2009 06:28:44 | More by photomike
dpnelson1978

4.25/5  rDev -2.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

64 oz. growler into a glass pint.

$9.49 / ea.

40°F

S: Strong floral hop aroma with just the faintest grapefruit citrus. Difficult to discern any malt characteristics through the hop aromas, but that is part of the fun.

A: Clear deep straw body with a loose medium head that quickly subsides without significant lacing, and little to no cover.

T: The taste profile leans more toward citrus than the scent. A light caramel malt flavor makes an appearance, but the hops is the star here (and rightfully so). Great example of an American IPA.

M: Light body with medium to high carbonation. Extremely dry finish that lingers on the tongue and the roof of the mouth.

D: Very good beer that drinks even better with food to fight off the lingering bitterness. This style in particular is very hit and miss, but I could do it all night.

O: Great IPA. My family wasn't as enthusiastic, but I think they had a hard time with the distinctive scent and strong flavor. I'll be buying this again.

12-07-2009 03:08:06 | More by dpnelson1978
bulletrain76

3.88/5  rDev -10.8%

Growler shared by bret27. Copper colored with a lasting white head. The aroma has a nice spread of fruity hops: peach, pineapple, citrus. There is also a sweet floral side and a hint of caramel. The flavor is mild on the bitterness, which is a little more apparent than IBU numbers might suggest due to a strong bready, crackery malt side. Fruity and floral hop flavors blend in pretty well, creating a pretty balanced overall package. Lighter in body with smooth carbonation. Lots of malt flavors for an IPA, with just enough hops to balance them out, but it is not a sweet beer, adding to a very drinkable, almost session-like presentation for the style. I would peg this more like a hoppy pale ale, but a fun beer with an interesting mix of flavors for the style.

12-06-2009 20:01:00 | More by bulletrain76
bret27

4.15/5  rDev -4.6%

Growler courtesy of dougofthefuture

S: pine, floral, sweet maltiness

A: clear, deep copper, med. white head

T: Piney floral hops, hops perfectly balanced w/malt tasting a bit like bread.

M: medium. perfect for style, malty bready fullness

D: good

Overall: Pretty darn good. Very balanced and drinkable ipa.

12-06-2009 17:50:34 | More by bret27
Casey10

Maine

4.25/5  rDev -2.3%

Received in trade from supercolter was looking forward to trying this one for ahwile and did not disapoint.

A - Red copper hue with a huge head once poured from a growler to the glass.

S - Pine and a small amount of citrus, slight malts.

T - Nice balance smooth fresh hops and earthy tone make this a fantastic beer.

M - Leaves a nice lingering feel that stays with you after drinkng one.

D - I thought that the brew was nice becasue of the fact this would be hard to aquire on a regular basis it lowered the score some but nice none the same.

12-02-2009 02:59:59 | More by Casey10
juhl31

4.28/5  rDev -1.6%

thank you to craig who brought this growler all the way back from the Minn.

-really dark for an IPA...like a lighter colored brown, solid head and lacing

-good malty smell with a touch of hops and some grapefruit for sure

-crazy malty for an IPA...like the maltiest i've had. really like an americanized english IPA based on decent hoping

-extremely smooth and really how it should be. easy and no real bite to it

-this maybe have ruined the next couple IPA's after this because it is so malty that i feel that is all i am going to notice for a bit. very tasty, but i wouldnt go to it regularly if i was in the mood for IPA

12-02-2009 02:01:33 | More by juhl31