Masala Mama India Pale Ale - Minneapolis Town Hall Brewery

Masala Mama India Pale Ale
No picture uploaded.

Minneapolis Town Hall Brewery visit their website
Minnesota, United States

(Beer added by: Jason on 01-01-2003)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Masala Mama India Pale Ale Alström Bros
JohnnyM2002

Maryland

4.55/5  rDev +4.6%

Sampled from a growler, shared with Akorsak and Phatz. Selected as my 200th review.

A - Poured a cloudy reddish-orange with a minimal head; left a nice white ring atop the hoppy goodness.

S - I can't imagine a better aroma from an IPA. Starts off with a combination of pine and floral notes, but it's balanced with a sweet and tart apricot flavor. Hoppy bitterness doesn't come racing out with the first few whiffs, but earthy hops are definitely present amongst the complex aromas. One of the best aromas from an AIPA I've ever experienced.

T - Right now I'm used to the kick-in-the-mouth hoppy blast from DIPAs, as that's what I've been drinking lately. So imagine my surprise when I take the first sip and instead of the insane hoppy punch, I notice a delicious - but complex - blend of floral hops and sweet fruit. The hoppy bitterness is well-balanced with the apricot and grapefruit flavors...sort of a sweet tartness that counters any bitterness very nicely. Upon the finish, I get almost a hoppy/caramel aftertaste, which also caught me by surprise. Wonderful combinations of flavors.

M - Medium body with a creamy finish...goes down very nicely.

D - Beer was very-well preserved in the growler and it did not disappoint. A strong start that was solid the whole way down...never pass up an opportunity to pick this one up!

01-07-2007 01:00:22 | More by JohnnyM2002
beaglemac

4.7/5  rDev +8%

Casked Growler

A - Slight Guiness like cascade on this one. Pours a Ruby red, amber with a thick frothy head that is super sticky. Great lacing.

S - Sweet, juicy hops.

T - Great bitter hop bite, well balanced with some sweet caramel malt. Grapefruit and other citrus.

M - Medium to full bodied. Oily hops. Solid carbonation.

D - Super easy drinker. I would drink this all day

I would like to thank JeffKrenner for this great growler... I am jealous that he can get this on a daily basis.

12-31-2006 23:15:16 | More by beaglemac
jrdegriselles

Colorado

4.45/5  rDev +2.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

It poured a golden deep orange color with a thick very creamy white head that last for quite a while. Floral hops of pine with notes of light toasted malt or carmel hints.
Hops Hops and more hops with a nice chewy sensation. A crazy strong IPA that I will have again and again.

12-31-2006 04:10:08 | More by jrdegriselles
leftmindedrighty

3.15/5  rDev -27.6%

64oz Growler received in a trade with RobertDwight

Serving of it poured into a tulip glass

Deep amber color, very dark.

Smell is of strong and bitter hops, faint alcohol smell

Taste overall is not bad, This IPA has a very sharp hop bite, there is no getting around it. I think its a tad unbalanced, the hops just start pistol whipping your taste buds and there's no relenting. This is a beer for hop heads, and almost no one else.

12-25-2006 22:25:50 | More by leftmindedrighty
kenito799

3.1/5  rDev -28.7%

On tap at the Town Hall BrewPub, Minneapolis.

Since my family lives in the Twin Cities now and this beer sits so highly near the pinnacle of the BA top 100, of course we stopped to check it out on the way from the airport. This scenario is a set-up for a let-down, as happens whenever hype precedes an experience...what's more, American IPA is not my favorite type of beer. However, I made my best attempt to set preconceived notions aside and evaluate this beer objectively.

Appearance was average for an amber tap beer, nice lacing, not too much head. I appreciate and enjoy the floral aromatics that massive hopping provides to our national hophead style; piney, grapefruity, nice to inhale deeply.

The hop flavors come through in the drinking, walloping one's (hop-)head with overtly strenuous bitterness, endlessly lingering and puckering the tongue. Nice with food. I have admitted that the style isn't my favorite, nevertheless, I think American IPAs succeed more when the hop slam is balanced by careful attenuation with mellowing malt flavors. Anyone can dump hops into a brew at all steps of its creation...it takes skill to harness their intensity. I don't think that was really done here. For me a more successful attempt is found over at Smuttynose in New Hampshire with their Finest Kind IPA. If you are looking for a full-on hop bodyslam, though, you'll find it here.

12-24-2006 16:40:42 | More by kenito799
blitz134

4.2/5  rDev -3.4%

Got this from Faro on his crosscountry beer road trip while he was in Atlanta. We had arranged a trade and he happened to have a couple growlers of this and I was lucky enough to talk him out of one.

Growler opened with a little hiss, still poured with a good 1-1/2" head of loose bubbles. Clear apricot, orange body. Lots of carbonation bubbles rise to the surface. Forms a nice sheet of lace on the glass as I work on finishing this one off. Good looking brew overall.

Strong aroma. Raw pine needles, tangerine rinds, and some flowery sweetness come through. Some sweet biscuity malts fight through the dominant hops. Good stuff, I could smell this all day long, each sniff brings out new combinations.

Taste is starkly different than the aroma. Tons of herbal hops pound the mouth, lots of straw and some grapefruit rinds. Finishes with some piney resin. Biscuity malts come in again to try to balance it all out. This IPA flavor profile is what I really like, more so than the fruity, flowery tasting ones. This is quite the IPA when it comes to bitterness, too. Possibly too much for the style. The only real fault is that it is possibly a bit unbalanced though.

Decent medium bodied brew for the style. Coats the mouth well and the bitterness just lingers. Carbonation level is about perfect.

This one is really easy to put down. The mouthfeel and carbonation levels are about perfect. The aroma and taste are there too making me want more. The only downfall is that the flavor is a bit unbalanced. Good stuff though, glad I finally got a chance to try it out. Three more pints to go...

12-13-2006 02:49:14 | More by blitz134
mwagner1018

4.33/5  rDev -0.5%

I have to say I was excited to try this beer, my initial reason for visiting the Town Hall Brewery. I was not disappointed with a great take on the American IPA.

I would rank this up there with just about any American IPA, strong/bitter extra hoppiness, with a very distinct bite. I loved the taste, but was slightly dissapointed with the carbonation release and smell.

The best part of this beer was the incredible lacing through the entire pint, and long lasting thin head.

I was surely not disappointed and could drink this one all night, or at least finish an entire growler!

11-25-2006 01:31:12 | More by mwagner1018
dhchatfield

My first growler! Opened Thanksgiving Day minutes before 3:00PM. No one want's to share it with me (yesss!!). Received in trade Tuesday of this week. It has been calling my name ever since. Kept in the fridge and warmed for about 15 minutes. Poured into my Gavroche mini-tulip.

A - A beautiful bronze/amber. Quite clear with very little head. What head there is is long lasting with very nice lacing. Many streams of tiny bubbles. The only ding against this one is that I expected a firmer, fluffier head. Maybe the travel time has affected it? [edit] As the beer has warmed over the last 20 minutes, the head is much fuller, fluffier and larger. I think I served myself too cold at the first. 4.5 goes to a 5.

S - My sense of smell is somewhat numbed from the aromas of the holiday meal....Turkey pervades the house. Fruity mango/pineapple, but very subdued. The hop presence is hard to get to, but again the house is an olfactory obstacle course today.

T - Exceptional. Much sweeter at the start than I expected. A strong, creamy malt presence is soon overtaken by the hops. Overtaken so quietly that you hardly notice the transition. Very, very well-crafted. [edit] Again, as the beer has warmed the hops have moved to a much more prevalent position.

M - Again, outstanding. Creamy, soft, with very little of the "in your face" hops attack so many craft IPA's exhibit. I am stunned at the nuances this beer displays.

D - Oh yeah....I will have NO problem whatsoever enjoying every drop of this growler myself today. The relatively low ABV will keep me out of trouble at carving time. The sweetness of this beer makes me wish I were closer to the Twin Cities.

A fine beer. Very deserving of the rave reviews it has received. As referenced above, the complex nature and subtle presentation of the various components makes this one truly exceptional. Thank you very much Al, (feloniousmonk) for your generosity.

Happy Thanksgiving!

Cheers.

11-23-2006 21:14:37 | More by dhchatfield
joedon

4.7/5  rDev +8%

This beer really is as good as I had hoped. Perfect coppery-gold color with a long lasting white head and lace.
Aroma was more malty than hoppy but still good.
Taste was exactly what I would want for an American IPA. Perfect balance of hop bitterness, flavor and malt. Very slightly sweet to offset the big load of hops.
Body was also spot on. Chewy mouthfeel that sticks to the roof of your mouth. Long lasting spicy-hop aftertaste.
Very drinkable; like all evening if you wanted more.

Too bad they don't bottle this beer and ship it outside Minneapolis.

10-24-2006 23:17:12 | More by joedon
sponberg

4.85/5  rDev +11.5%

Go ahead. Be skeptical. Yeah, it is that good.

Stunning to look at. Medium amber with a pillowy, fluffy white head that laces all the way down. If someone ever asks what an IPA should look like, point at a picture of this one. Aroma of citric, grapefruity hops over a background of honey, bread, and a whiff of sweet tea.

Ever hear the Big Head Todd song "Bittersweet Surrender?" Reminds me of this beer. I cannot find a fault and I'm on my third pint. Starts out with this insanely clean yet bitter hop bite, just full of juicy, fresh floral and citrus rind hoppiness. Then a tea-with-honey maltiness comes in to balance the hops. The longer it sits on the palate a yeasty breadiness comes in as a background note. Stellar finish - lingering hop oil on the tongue, slightly caramelly malt all over the rest of the mouth, and an incredible clean fresh lingering bittersweet tea-and hops flavor. Perfection. I could not ask for more form an IPA. Mouthfeel is moderate and entirely appropriate for the alcohol content.

Drinkability? They don't make growlers big enough. Minnesota needs to pass a law allowing the use of carboys for growlers for this beer.

:bow: to BA JeffKrenner for the growler. I owe ya big time for this one guy.

10-23-2006 00:48:39 | More by sponberg
orfeu

New Mexico

4.9/5  rDev +12.6%

Poured from a most-sturdily packaged growler sent straight from MPLS by Faro -- maximum respect to you, Jeff. Best before 10-13, consumed the very same day with lunch as Buffalo struggled to recover from massive power outages due to the craziest snowstorm ever to hit the city -- and that's saying a lot! The refrigerator had been off for about six or seven hours, so it was definitely time to open this one. Once it finally hit my nonic, it was a deep copper-orange color, slightly hazy with a few streams of carbonation steadily but slowly rising up to a clumpy, meringue-like, yellowed-newsprint head. An abundance of citrus aromas rose up to my nose, with kumquat rind, grapefruit pith, and piney Minneola tangerines being the most prevalent scents. A faint biscuity-caramel aroma was also detectable in the very back of the deepest of sniffs. The taste recalled grapefruit sections in the morning, with the caramelly flavors of oven-fresh bread crust and a slight hint of the butter that one might slather upon said warm bread. The mineral-based taste of the serrated-edge spoon one uses to liberate the grapefruit from its pithy origin also came through near the end of each delicious sip of this magnificently-crafted IPA, which, by the way, also featured an exceptionally smooth and juicy mouthfeel, a medium body, and the perfect level of just slightly peppery carbonation. I should also mention that from time to time my sinuses flared with the grapefruit-spruce flavor of the occasional Masala Mama-induced burps. In short, this is a nearly flawless IPA. I believe I rated Alesmith's effort just a tad higher because of its amazingly floral aroma -- a niche this IPA doesn't happen to fill. However, I believe that Masala Mama is more drinkable than that paradigmatic West Coast offering, due to its combination of exceptional flavor and unsuspecting simplicity. That is to say, there wasn't anything absolutely unique to the flavor, aroma, etc. -- but the overall experience of drinking a growler full of this beer was, in my mind, the quintessential beer-drinking experience. If I ever find myself in the Twin Cities again, I will spend as much time as possible procuring and drinking this beer.

10-15-2006 19:51:20 | More by orfeu
TheBungyo

Washington

4.53/5  rDev +4.1%

A hearty thank you to Faro for trading this to me. I'd also like to say that the growler was nearly a week old by the time it reached me.

Yep a week old. You'd think this was freshly poured from the tap by the size of the inch thick creamy head that topped off the picture perfect honey bronze body. Of course there was lacing all the way down.

Nose is meaty and piney. I like. This is a unique nose, especially to one who is used to west coast IPA's. There's a hint of malt in there somewhere but it definitely is overshadowed. If I can find a weak point in this beer it's got to be the nose. It's very good but not as aromatic as I'd hoped.

Taste is piney with a bit of citrus, leathery, and pleasantly malty. Juicey juicey hops! Very bitter in the finish and would leave a n00b puckering for several minutes after a swallow.

The mouth is very rich, dancing over the tongue like Fred Astaire. It's the kind of beer that we as BA's cite as the reason for BEING a BA. If I lived in MPLS I can say that this would be a must order every time I visited. Without question. Not the finest IPA I've ever had, but certainly one of the elite.

09-30-2006 07:16:42 | More by TheBungyo
klewis

Received from a trade with Faro

A: Pours a dark copper with a two-finger bubbly head. Heavy lacing.

S: Great complex hop smell. Smooth and subtle with wonderful floral and citrus aromas.

T: Loaded with hoppy goodness and filled with a conglomeration of the great classic hop flavors. Perfectly balanced and full-flavored with a smooth taste and a light refreshing bitterness in the finish.

M: Medium-full bodied with moderate-light carbonation. Chewy and sticky.

D: IPA's don't get better than this. Period.

09-30-2006 00:29:29 | More by klewis
Redrover

4.15/5  rDev -4.6%

The first beer I ordered during my recent visit to Town Hall.

Served in a pint glass, the beer is mahogany with bronze highlights. Nice thick head with ok lacing.

The aroma is an inviting mix of citrus and pine.

The taste is bitter in the most pleasant way. This Momma has a nice oily quality that coats your mouth. In spite of the heavy hopping, the brewer has done a fine job of moderating the beer with a bucket load of malts. This adds an almost molasses based sweetness.

The mouth was fine, but I really expected a bit more heft given the thick qualities of the taste. I can see why this is a very popular beer. It is well made, tasty and worth searching out.

09-26-2006 20:33:10 | More by Redrover
Bitterbill

Wyoming

4.63/5  rDev +6.4%

Got a Growler of this in a trade with TastyTaste:

Poured a copper red with a nice thick head of foam. After a while, the foam shrinks down to a fine but solid layer and...look at all the lacing. Wow.

The smell is of citrus and pine and grass and has floral notes as well. Nice smelling IPA that's tickling my smell buds.

The taste up front is hugely hoppy with grapefruit, pine, grass...a wide variety of bitter tones all in one ale and they work really well together. Heck, midway through and just before the finish there's even a good amount of caramel malt.
The finish is superb, leaving me with a good, long aftertaste that let's me savour the flavours long after the liquid has left the scene of this....anti-crime. ;^)

The more I sip on this one, the more I *want* to sip on it...great batch of tastes but easy drinking, light on the carbonation, refreshing as all heck...

Bottom line: I give a big salute to TastyTaste for enabling me to try this wonderful nectar. I *love* it!

09-15-2006 23:40:26 | More by Bitterbill
nlmartin

4.93/5  rDev +13.3%

Thank you Faro for sending this to me in a trade. I shared this beer with my wife. Upon opening the growler a very audible pst greated my ears. The beer was poured into a pint glass.

Appearance: This beer pours a very lovely clear deep copper coloration. The beer has a two finger biege head that never gives up. Thick sheets of lacing stream down my glass.

Smell: This beer is loaded with piney resin. It isnt to the level of a christmas tree in pineyness but its at least a wreath. This pineyness is married to a generous grapefruit and citrus zest combo. The beer has a hint of caramel maltyness. I swear I get a minty zephyr on the tail end.

Taste: The flavor of this beer delivers on the smell big time. The beer is loaded upfront with lots of grapefruit and pine resiney hops. This gives way to a very pleasing caramel maltyness. The beer finishes on a oily earthy hoppy tone. This is just fantastic!

Mouthfeel/ Drinkability: The beer is a very full bodied IPA. This beer was well balanced. The oily hops made the taste last a long time. The beer is very refreshing. This is overall a very outstanding IPA. I wish I had traded for at least two of them. If this was available locally I would drink this beer often. This is the kind of beer I could drink all day long. Faro- or any other BA who has access to this will almost always have a trade with me.

Once more I would like to thank Faro for the trade. This beer was a birthday present to myself.

09-10-2006 13:19:07 | More by nlmartin
laintringulis

4.78/5  rDev +9.9%

served in pub glass. Pours a dark cloudy amber-copper color with large head. Large lacing.

Smells strongly of grapefruit and citrus, hops. Pine resin, earthy spicy alcohol smell.

Very bitter taste in a good way. strong citrus taste, primarily grapefruit. Malty in the middle, and finishes even more hoppy at the end. Has a lingering backtaste of hops.

Medium+ bodied, pleasantly oiliness, refreshing finish. If you like a hop bomb, this the stuff. Surprising balance/transitions from hops/malt/hops/malt/hops. I wish I could have this on a routine basis.

09-10-2006 13:05:27 | More by laintringulis
ikats

4.18/5  rDev -3.9%

Dark amber in color with off-white sticky head that dissipates to a nice cover. Aroma explodes with oily hops. Grapefruit with other citrus notes dominates the aroma. Taste is bitterness on a malty, caramel base. I like hops, so I'll subjectively say that mouthfeel is great. And this beer is very drinkable.

Masala Mama is an excellent IPA, but it is not my favorite IPA. Unfortunately, I think in my case the legend overshadowed the actual brew a bit.

09-05-2006 03:42:00 | More by ikats
dzturner

Washington

4.65/5  rDev +6.9%

Simply Amazing!!! Had a friend bring it all the way from Minneapolis to Tacoma, WA for us. Poured in to Minneapolis Town Hall Brewery Mug.
Appearance: Hazy deep amber clearly unfiltered. Not much head on my pour but it did come from a growler.
Smell: citrus, very aromatic but not its strongest point.
Taste: So bitter and last forever yet super malty. The intense bitterness and intense maltyness manage to be extremely balanced. I noticed bitter on the front malt in the middle and then it end hard with a great bitter aftertaste. In fact, minutes after taking a sip a still had the most delicious hops flavor in my mouth. However, it maintains it complexities throughout.
One thing the caught me off guard was its ABV. It tasted a lot moor heavy then a 5.9.
All together it rocked my socks off!!!

08-27-2006 21:44:30 | More by dzturner
Enola

4.35/5  rDev 0%

This beer is hoppy, that's for sure. The color is a reddish brown. There is a thick, creamy head atop the brew. Lots of lacing accent the glass. The smell is like a hop vine. The taste is very bitter. No harsh bitterness and not too sweet. Balanced as far as hoppiness goes. The mouthfeel is very bitter and sticky. There is a sweetness on my lips. The drinkability is pretty darn good too. This is a good IPA. Certainly in my top three or four for the style. I could drink this beer again but the availability may limit that. If you like hop bombs this your ticket.

Many thanks to wcudwight for being more than generous with his growler.

08-24-2006 03:09:33 | More by Enola
wcudwight

4.5/5  rDev +3.4%

Much thanks to beckjeo1 for the growler. I thought I would never have the oppertunity to try this one.
The poor is an amber color. More red than other IPA's I've had. Thin sticky beige head that has good retention. Lot's of sticky lace lines the sides of the glass.
Smell is of hops. Nothing else....just piney and somewhat floral hops. I like.
There is not any balance here. The hops appear, dominate and linger. Actually starts out kind of subdued and suductive with some tropical fruitiness and floral flavors. Then the piny and citrus flavors kick in unmercifully. The taste buds are left fatigued and numb, but begging for more. Long lasting hoppy aftertaste and hop burps.
The mouthfeel is a little thinner than I'd expected, but it doesn't really detract from the beer or the experiance.
Oh man if you love hops it's not only drinkable...It's heaven.

08-24-2006 01:18:36 | More by wcudwight
CH3CH2OH

4.75/5  rDev +9.2%

This is incredible from the cask. The bartender told me that some patrons call ahead to make sure MM is available from the cask and not just in kegs. I rate either cask and keg about equal, but they are radically different.

The cask version pours with an extremely fine head, and a slightly lighter hop aroma than the keg version. The taste is remarkable - fruity hops with no CO2 bite. It's smooth and eminently drinkable, as it is served warmer than the keg version. A glass of each of the cask and the keg MM is a great lesson in the effect of the different treatment of the same beer.

Serving type: cask

08-21-2006 19:17:15 | More by CH3CH2OH
mcallister

4.15/5  rDev -4.6%

Thanks once again to Faro for bringing this on his journey to Dayton.

This is what an IPA should look like all the time. New penny copper, very clean and pristine looking with an off white, very frothy head that leaves some of the stickiest lace I've witnessed to date.

Great complexity in the aromas, big rich foresty pine hints, with grapefruit hidden underneath. Floral hops also make an appearance, as well as a caramel malty smell.

Very resiny, mouthcoating hops. An overly generous amount of malt makes for a huge full mouthfeel. Pine leads the entrance and the mid-palate but the grapefruit also intertwines. The ending is the thick resiny hops with an even thicker maltiness that shows hints of caramel. Finish of a good 40 seconds leaves you waiting to take the next drink overly satisfied. One of the more complex IPA's I've come around yet well balanced. The only fault is the hops are a little chalky.

Thick, huge, chewy, masculine mouthfeel. The 5.9% makes this drinkable all day for me. If only Minnesota were closer to Ohio.

08-14-2006 21:33:54 | More by mcallister
shivtim

Georgia

3.3/5  rDev -24.1%

I was pretty excited about trying this beer. It's a beautiful rusty brown copper, with a nice foamy off-white head, and exceptional lacing. Looks delicious. The nose is just hops, nothing too crazy here. Taste starts out pleasantly with piney hops and some balancing malts, but it's followed by a way over the top syrupy hop finish. This one-note hop taste sticks around in your mouth for a good 45 seconds. Nothing complex to the ending, just hop hop hop.
Mouthfeel is good, but drinkability suffers because of the extreme lingering aftertaste. Overall it's not bad, but I wish the ending on the taste wasn't such a simple hop overload.

08-14-2006 00:47:42 | More by shivtim
WeisGuy

4.93/5  rDev +13.3%

I've had this brew on-tap, cask-conditioned, and I have a growler in the fridge. Cask-conditioned is undoubtedly the best way to enjoy it.

a - copper color with a moderate sized white head with good retention, lacing is very nice

s - very floral and fruity nose with lots and lots of hops, very strong aroma, the nose screams powerful IPA

t - wow, this is the best-tasting IPA I've had that's not called Dreadnaught, taste is similar to nose, lots of fruity and sweet hoppy bitterness but not overwhelming, cask-conditioned version definitely has a more depth than the regular version in the taste category, the finish is very long and is a wonderful balance of sweetness and bitterness that lasts until the next drink

m - moderate carbonation, the cellar temperature of the cask verson is perfect for this brew even though I usually think of IPAs as being served a bit colder, finish is not overly dry

d - I could (and did last night) sip on this brew all night, amazing depth to the flavor keeps you sipping and ordering more

Quite simply, one of the best beers I've ever had. The regular MM is a wonderful brew, but the cask version is where is exceeds any other other IPA. This brew makes me oh so sad to leave the Twin Cities tomorrow.

Serving type: cask