Masala Mama India Pale Ale - Minneapolis Town Hall Brewery

Masala Mama India Pale Ale
No picture uploaded.

Minneapolis Town Hall Brewery visit their website
Minnesota, United States

(Beer added by: Jason on 01-01-2003)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Masala Mama India Pale Ale Alström Bros
brdc

Wisconsin

3.58/5  rDev -17.7%

This is a growler, bottled yesterday and brought to me (a big thanks) by some Marshfield friends, including stoutsnipas. I am going to try and be fair and balanced, but keep in mind I am not a big fan of heavily hopped brews.

This is a very nice looking brew, amber with a frothy white head and a thick lacing, and still lots of carbonation. Darker than the average IPA, and certainly better looking.
A very nice, fresh, hoppy and fruity aroma is powerful and evident as you pour it, this one does not require your nose "inside" the glass.
Taste is good, better than most IPAs out there, very hoppy as expected, with some alcohol and a malty hint somewhere in there.
Medium bodied, but not exactly a highly drinkable beer, in my opinion given the relatively weak malt backbone that leaves an unbalanced hoppiness that although has a pleasant taste, has an aftertaste that is too hoppy and can get quite annoying.
A good brew, just not my style, perhaps lacking a bit more malts to balance it out.

03-17-2007 00:37:27 | More by brdc
ClockworkOrange

3.98/5  rDev -8.5%

Thanks to feloniousmonk - poured from a growler into my Victory pint glass. Appears a mildly hazy, dark copper color with a good inch of fluffy, off white head. Wonderful lacing on the inside of the glass as I make my way to the bottom. Smells of oily, resinous hops, with a nice aroma of rich caramel malt. Tastes of bitter citrus fruits such as grapefruit, and lemon as well as pine and sweet malts. Medium in both body and carbonation. Very smooth and drinkable especially at under 6%. This growler did not last very long. I look forward to trying this fresh from the tap one day. I'm assuming it must also be amazing on cask. Very nice. Highly recommended.

02-13-2007 15:32:01 | More by ClockworkOrange
objectivemonkey

4.53/5  rDev +4.1%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured a nice hazy copper, with an off-white head and lacing is lovely. Very good looking beer for sure. Aroma is a bit different from tap, but in a nice way I suppose. Nicely malted still, caramels, pines and fruits, grapefruit and peach, not as much of a blow to the nose as on tap, but wonderfully subdued I suppose.

Taste, though, not as I remember it. I have to say first, I do'nt like IPAs on cask, and without the carbonation, I just don't recognize it. Not that it tastes bad... it tastes great in fact. The wonderful caramel in the nose comes moreso in taste, the pine and fruity hops battling for control, and the increadably smooth ride from cask makes this oh so great to drink. Just, different from the Mama on tap.

So, as the theme here goes, I'll be enjoying from tap from now on, but for those Real Beer fanatics out there, go ahead and have this one, its delicious.

Serving type: cask

02-09-2007 15:08:23 | More by objectivemonkey
sloejams

4.18/5  rDev -3.9%

This is a delicious IPA. It ranks as the absolute highest on Beer Advocate. With American IPA being my favorite style I HAD to get my mitts on it, but Minnesota is a LONG way from Los Angeles. Thanks to beckje01 for making this happen.

DHL presented a bit of problem with the shipment and unfortunately it arrived a bit less than fresh. I could taste it too, sadly. That said for a beer not at its apex – this was still a fine fucking beer. I drank the growler in no time – because it was so delicious and because it seemed like every minute I didn’t drink it, its freshness would deteriorate that much more.

I really love these delicious IPA coming out of the Midwest: Bell’s 2 Hearted, Surly’s Furious and this. They all seem to have their own voice. I bombard myself regularly with the West Coast hopbombs out here. While they are delicious as can be, the lesser ones seem to get stuck in the mire of being unable to cross that “jam as many hops in as possible” lack of balance. The pine really shines through in this offering. What sets it apart is how magnificently balanced it is. It’s unbelievable. Man, I wish this was more fresh – I’ll be sure to review this again when I try it again. Fine beer.

01-31-2007 17:35:26 | More by sloejams
RedHaze

Nebraska

4.72/5  rDev +8.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Many thanks to fugazme for this growler.

Pours a dark amber with a dense one finger head that fades very slowly to a thick cap. The lace that's left behind nearly covers the entire inside of my glass.

Smell; lots of pine tree going on in here with some grapefruit, oranges and lemons all thrown as well. There's a nice bready, almost caramel malt presence in the background. As this warms the citrus aromas become much more pronounced.

Taste; The pine needle hops are very present in the flavor, as they are in the aroma, but the citrus is a bit more dominant. Grapefruit and orange peels, as well as a bit of lemons that ive this what I can only call a juicy quality. There's a bit of a sweet caramel as well as a toasted bread presence that kind of float around in the background, offsetting the hops just a touch, and adding a nice depth to this beer.

Mouthfeel/Drinkability; the mouthfeel is medium to full bodied, and seems the fit the hop profile of tis beer just about perfectly, and the drinkability is just incredible. I could easily drink this all night long, and I think I just might do that tonight. This beer makes me wish I lived closer to Minneapolis

01-25-2007 01:11:53 | More by RedHaze
MuenchenerKindl

Germany

4.5/5  rDev +3.4%

Poured from a growler Fresh of the truck and a two day ride from the Great White North. It's 5'Oclock somewhere so here is goes. Goes it's nice to have friends. Thanks to both of these conspirators NFLMVP and Objectivemonkey

The Beer pours a nice amber with amazing carbonation swirling around in a substantial amount of malt. The head is a big fat 2 fingers off white and leaves some lace.

The smell is Fat Hops and a detectable Malty sweetness.

The taste is very nice. Piney hops but I love the balance on a brew like this. One of the best IPA's I have had. This is Fat big time True it is not quite a DIPA but for an IPA this is this Malt man's IPA to be sure.

The mouthfeel is thick and sticky, almost chewable.

The drinkability is top shelf, How I would love to session this brew with a nice dinner and the Townhall. Prosit und Zum Wohl! MK

01-19-2007 20:38:26 | More by MuenchenerKindl
yam

4.75/5  rDev +9.2%

A - a beautiful golden copper with a lovely head and long-lasting lace

S - citrus with a lovely flowery aroma -- crisp grapefruit (oxymoron?)

T - a tang of hops -- a cascade of sweet acidity with a malty background. A well structured beer with even flavors of hops and malt

M - a mouthfeel like like silk. Even in a growler, the carbonation pretty much matches the online feel.

D - as a decent example of the type, this is a fairly easy drinking beer.

01-14-2007 08:56:29 | More by yam
SkinnyElvis

4.55/5  rDev +4.6%

Thanks to darkerthebetter for bringing a growler home with him from Minnesota to share while watching the Eagles beat the Giants. This is the 3rd time I have had this brew and it is always top notch. Nice color for a IPA with a simple hops nose. Very tasty in flavor and extremely well balanced. The thing about this beer is how easy it is to drink and its smooth mouthfeel.

Cheers.

01-08-2007 02:29:43 | More by SkinnyElvis
Phatz

4.63/5  rDev +6.4%

What a glorious and amazing treat; a lovely lovely brew. Much thanks is owed to akorsak for sharing this treat with us today. If Adam is going to keep sharing with us then CH3CH2OH, keep hookin him up =)

Appearance: Pours from the Growler a beautiful luminescent bronze into my friends Westvleteren chalice. Magnificent. The head settled to a frothy cap and then dispersed to a halo that lasted the duration of the beer.

Smell: A surprisingly sweet nose with caramel malts and grapefruit, and a juicy peach attribute.

Taste: Magnificently balanced hoppy beer. The sweetness behind all that hop is lead by caramel but then leans to a variety of fruits. Pinesap, orange, grapefruit and pineapple are all present in the bitter side, balanced by a bready sweet caramel malt backbone and a hint of toastedness. The aftertaste is pleasantly dry and lingers long after the beer passed through the palate. It seems have an equally interesting flavor delineation in the aftertaste as well.

Mouthfeel: Wow. The beer is smooth and sticky and yet in its chewyness it remains prickly and lively with all the hop pins & needles on the palate.

Drinkability: A pipeline must be built from Minneapolis Town Hall Brewery to the water spigot on my refrigerator. I want to be able drink this beer day and night at my leisure. Why don't they bottle. Case after case of Two Hearted could allow room for Masala Mama to be inserted into my regular rotation, if it were available. EXCEPTIONAL!

Hope this is helpful.
Cheers!

01-07-2007 03:46:00 | More by Phatz
akorsak

4.8/5  rDev +10.3%

A growler from a second trade with CH3CH2OH. It was shared with JohnnyM2002 and Phatz.

A: The ale is a copper red with hints of orange amber. The head has held up surprisingly well for a 12/28/06 (or so) bottled growler, large on pour before settling down to a white circle that covers the entire glass.

S: The aroma is big and hoppy, thick with lush pineapple and apricot. The aroma is huge and delicious, one of the best smelling pale ales (American, English, India or Double) that you'll come across.

T: The nose is big and hoppy, priming the drinker for a big hoppy ale, but Town Hall throws you for a loop. The body is a solid malty extravaganza, it doesn't roll over in front of the hops. The malty base is grainy and slightly sweet and provides an excellent base for the delicious hoppiness. The hops are citrusy, grapefruit, apricot, tangerine and most significantly pineapple. There is even a bit of piney sweetness popping up.

M: Hops! Malts! A well-mixed combination of the two, this IPA really brings everything together without amping up the alcohol and IBUs.

D: Incredibly drinkable. This really is the standardbearer for American IPAs. It mixes the big hops and strong malts so well. The moderate abv helps also, allowing one to have several pints without ill effect.

01-07-2007 03:01:09 | More by akorsak
JohnnyM2002

Maryland

4.55/5  rDev +4.6%

Sampled from a growler, shared with Akorsak and Phatz. Selected as my 200th review.

A - Poured a cloudy reddish-orange with a minimal head; left a nice white ring atop the hoppy goodness.

S - I can't imagine a better aroma from an IPA. Starts off with a combination of pine and floral notes, but it's balanced with a sweet and tart apricot flavor. Hoppy bitterness doesn't come racing out with the first few whiffs, but earthy hops are definitely present amongst the complex aromas. One of the best aromas from an AIPA I've ever experienced.

T - Right now I'm used to the kick-in-the-mouth hoppy blast from DIPAs, as that's what I've been drinking lately. So imagine my surprise when I take the first sip and instead of the insane hoppy punch, I notice a delicious - but complex - blend of floral hops and sweet fruit. The hoppy bitterness is well-balanced with the apricot and grapefruit flavors...sort of a sweet tartness that counters any bitterness very nicely. Upon the finish, I get almost a hoppy/caramel aftertaste, which also caught me by surprise. Wonderful combinations of flavors.

M - Medium body with a creamy finish...goes down very nicely.

D - Beer was very-well preserved in the growler and it did not disappoint. A strong start that was solid the whole way down...never pass up an opportunity to pick this one up!

01-07-2007 01:00:22 | More by JohnnyM2002
beaglemac

4.7/5  rDev +8%

Casked Growler

A - Slight Guiness like cascade on this one. Pours a Ruby red, amber with a thick frothy head that is super sticky. Great lacing.

S - Sweet, juicy hops.

T - Great bitter hop bite, well balanced with some sweet caramel malt. Grapefruit and other citrus.

M - Medium to full bodied. Oily hops. Solid carbonation.

D - Super easy drinker. I would drink this all day

I would like to thank JeffKrenner for this great growler... I am jealous that he can get this on a daily basis.

12-31-2006 23:15:16 | More by beaglemac
jrdegriselles

Colorado

4.45/5  rDev +2.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

It poured a golden deep orange color with a thick very creamy white head that last for quite a while. Floral hops of pine with notes of light toasted malt or carmel hints.
Hops Hops and more hops with a nice chewy sensation. A crazy strong IPA that I will have again and again.

12-31-2006 04:10:08 | More by jrdegriselles
leftmindedrighty

3.15/5  rDev -27.6%

64oz Growler received in a trade with RobertDwight

Serving of it poured into a tulip glass

Deep amber color, very dark.

Smell is of strong and bitter hops, faint alcohol smell

Taste overall is not bad, This IPA has a very sharp hop bite, there is no getting around it. I think its a tad unbalanced, the hops just start pistol whipping your taste buds and there's no relenting. This is a beer for hop heads, and almost no one else.

12-25-2006 22:25:50 | More by leftmindedrighty
kenito799

3.1/5  rDev -28.7%

On tap at the Town Hall BrewPub, Minneapolis.

Since my family lives in the Twin Cities now and this beer sits so highly near the pinnacle of the BA top 100, of course we stopped to check it out on the way from the airport. This scenario is a set-up for a let-down, as happens whenever hype precedes an experience...what's more, American IPA is not my favorite type of beer. However, I made my best attempt to set preconceived notions aside and evaluate this beer objectively.

Appearance was average for an amber tap beer, nice lacing, not too much head. I appreciate and enjoy the floral aromatics that massive hopping provides to our national hophead style; piney, grapefruity, nice to inhale deeply.

The hop flavors come through in the drinking, walloping one's (hop-)head with overtly strenuous bitterness, endlessly lingering and puckering the tongue. Nice with food. I have admitted that the style isn't my favorite, nevertheless, I think American IPAs succeed more when the hop slam is balanced by careful attenuation with mellowing malt flavors. Anyone can dump hops into a brew at all steps of its creation...it takes skill to harness their intensity. I don't think that was really done here. For me a more successful attempt is found over at Smuttynose in New Hampshire with their Finest Kind IPA. If you are looking for a full-on hop bodyslam, though, you'll find it here.

12-24-2006 16:40:42 | More by kenito799
blitz134

4.2/5  rDev -3.4%

Got this from Faro on his crosscountry beer road trip while he was in Atlanta. We had arranged a trade and he happened to have a couple growlers of this and I was lucky enough to talk him out of one.

Growler opened with a little hiss, still poured with a good 1-1/2" head of loose bubbles. Clear apricot, orange body. Lots of carbonation bubbles rise to the surface. Forms a nice sheet of lace on the glass as I work on finishing this one off. Good looking brew overall.

Strong aroma. Raw pine needles, tangerine rinds, and some flowery sweetness come through. Some sweet biscuity malts fight through the dominant hops. Good stuff, I could smell this all day long, each sniff brings out new combinations.

Taste is starkly different than the aroma. Tons of herbal hops pound the mouth, lots of straw and some grapefruit rinds. Finishes with some piney resin. Biscuity malts come in again to try to balance it all out. This IPA flavor profile is what I really like, more so than the fruity, flowery tasting ones. This is quite the IPA when it comes to bitterness, too. Possibly too much for the style. The only real fault is that it is possibly a bit unbalanced though.

Decent medium bodied brew for the style. Coats the mouth well and the bitterness just lingers. Carbonation level is about perfect.

This one is really easy to put down. The mouthfeel and carbonation levels are about perfect. The aroma and taste are there too making me want more. The only downfall is that the flavor is a bit unbalanced. Good stuff though, glad I finally got a chance to try it out. Three more pints to go...

12-13-2006 02:49:14 | More by blitz134
mwagner1018

4.33/5  rDev -0.5%

I have to say I was excited to try this beer, my initial reason for visiting the Town Hall Brewery. I was not disappointed with a great take on the American IPA.

I would rank this up there with just about any American IPA, strong/bitter extra hoppiness, with a very distinct bite. I loved the taste, but was slightly dissapointed with the carbonation release and smell.

The best part of this beer was the incredible lacing through the entire pint, and long lasting thin head.

I was surely not disappointed and could drink this one all night, or at least finish an entire growler!

11-25-2006 01:31:12 | More by mwagner1018
dhchatfield

My first growler! Opened Thanksgiving Day minutes before 3:00PM. No one want's to share it with me (yesss!!). Received in trade Tuesday of this week. It has been calling my name ever since. Kept in the fridge and warmed for about 15 minutes. Poured into my Gavroche mini-tulip.

A - A beautiful bronze/amber. Quite clear with very little head. What head there is is long lasting with very nice lacing. Many streams of tiny bubbles. The only ding against this one is that I expected a firmer, fluffier head. Maybe the travel time has affected it? [edit] As the beer has warmed over the last 20 minutes, the head is much fuller, fluffier and larger. I think I served myself too cold at the first. 4.5 goes to a 5.

S - My sense of smell is somewhat numbed from the aromas of the holiday meal....Turkey pervades the house. Fruity mango/pineapple, but very subdued. The hop presence is hard to get to, but again the house is an olfactory obstacle course today.

T - Exceptional. Much sweeter at the start than I expected. A strong, creamy malt presence is soon overtaken by the hops. Overtaken so quietly that you hardly notice the transition. Very, very well-crafted. [edit] Again, as the beer has warmed the hops have moved to a much more prevalent position.

M - Again, outstanding. Creamy, soft, with very little of the "in your face" hops attack so many craft IPA's exhibit. I am stunned at the nuances this beer displays.

D - Oh yeah....I will have NO problem whatsoever enjoying every drop of this growler myself today. The relatively low ABV will keep me out of trouble at carving time. The sweetness of this beer makes me wish I were closer to the Twin Cities.

A fine beer. Very deserving of the rave reviews it has received. As referenced above, the complex nature and subtle presentation of the various components makes this one truly exceptional. Thank you very much Al, (feloniousmonk) for your generosity.

Happy Thanksgiving!

Cheers.

11-23-2006 21:14:37 | More by dhchatfield
joedon

4.7/5  rDev +8%

This beer really is as good as I had hoped. Perfect coppery-gold color with a long lasting white head and lace.
Aroma was more malty than hoppy but still good.
Taste was exactly what I would want for an American IPA. Perfect balance of hop bitterness, flavor and malt. Very slightly sweet to offset the big load of hops.
Body was also spot on. Chewy mouthfeel that sticks to the roof of your mouth. Long lasting spicy-hop aftertaste.
Very drinkable; like all evening if you wanted more.

Too bad they don't bottle this beer and ship it outside Minneapolis.

10-24-2006 23:17:12 | More by joedon
sponberg

4.85/5  rDev +11.5%

Go ahead. Be skeptical. Yeah, it is that good.

Stunning to look at. Medium amber with a pillowy, fluffy white head that laces all the way down. If someone ever asks what an IPA should look like, point at a picture of this one. Aroma of citric, grapefruity hops over a background of honey, bread, and a whiff of sweet tea.

Ever hear the Big Head Todd song "Bittersweet Surrender?" Reminds me of this beer. I cannot find a fault and I'm on my third pint. Starts out with this insanely clean yet bitter hop bite, just full of juicy, fresh floral and citrus rind hoppiness. Then a tea-with-honey maltiness comes in to balance the hops. The longer it sits on the palate a yeasty breadiness comes in as a background note. Stellar finish - lingering hop oil on the tongue, slightly caramelly malt all over the rest of the mouth, and an incredible clean fresh lingering bittersweet tea-and hops flavor. Perfection. I could not ask for more form an IPA. Mouthfeel is moderate and entirely appropriate for the alcohol content.

Drinkability? They don't make growlers big enough. Minnesota needs to pass a law allowing the use of carboys for growlers for this beer.

:bow: to BA JeffKrenner for the growler. I owe ya big time for this one guy.

10-23-2006 00:48:39 | More by sponberg
orfeu

New Mexico

4.9/5  rDev +12.6%

Poured from a most-sturdily packaged growler sent straight from MPLS by Faro -- maximum respect to you, Jeff. Best before 10-13, consumed the very same day with lunch as Buffalo struggled to recover from massive power outages due to the craziest snowstorm ever to hit the city -- and that's saying a lot! The refrigerator had been off for about six or seven hours, so it was definitely time to open this one. Once it finally hit my nonic, it was a deep copper-orange color, slightly hazy with a few streams of carbonation steadily but slowly rising up to a clumpy, meringue-like, yellowed-newsprint head. An abundance of citrus aromas rose up to my nose, with kumquat rind, grapefruit pith, and piney Minneola tangerines being the most prevalent scents. A faint biscuity-caramel aroma was also detectable in the very back of the deepest of sniffs. The taste recalled grapefruit sections in the morning, with the caramelly flavors of oven-fresh bread crust and a slight hint of the butter that one might slather upon said warm bread. The mineral-based taste of the serrated-edge spoon one uses to liberate the grapefruit from its pithy origin also came through near the end of each delicious sip of this magnificently-crafted IPA, which, by the way, also featured an exceptionally smooth and juicy mouthfeel, a medium body, and the perfect level of just slightly peppery carbonation. I should also mention that from time to time my sinuses flared with the grapefruit-spruce flavor of the occasional Masala Mama-induced burps. In short, this is a nearly flawless IPA. I believe I rated Alesmith's effort just a tad higher because of its amazingly floral aroma -- a niche this IPA doesn't happen to fill. However, I believe that Masala Mama is more drinkable than that paradigmatic West Coast offering, due to its combination of exceptional flavor and unsuspecting simplicity. That is to say, there wasn't anything absolutely unique to the flavor, aroma, etc. -- but the overall experience of drinking a growler full of this beer was, in my mind, the quintessential beer-drinking experience. If I ever find myself in the Twin Cities again, I will spend as much time as possible procuring and drinking this beer.

10-15-2006 19:51:20 | More by orfeu
TheBungyo

Washington

4.53/5  rDev +4.1%

A hearty thank you to Faro for trading this to me. I'd also like to say that the growler was nearly a week old by the time it reached me.

Yep a week old. You'd think this was freshly poured from the tap by the size of the inch thick creamy head that topped off the picture perfect honey bronze body. Of course there was lacing all the way down.

Nose is meaty and piney. I like. This is a unique nose, especially to one who is used to west coast IPA's. There's a hint of malt in there somewhere but it definitely is overshadowed. If I can find a weak point in this beer it's got to be the nose. It's very good but not as aromatic as I'd hoped.

Taste is piney with a bit of citrus, leathery, and pleasantly malty. Juicey juicey hops! Very bitter in the finish and would leave a n00b puckering for several minutes after a swallow.

The mouth is very rich, dancing over the tongue like Fred Astaire. It's the kind of beer that we as BA's cite as the reason for BEING a BA. If I lived in MPLS I can say that this would be a must order every time I visited. Without question. Not the finest IPA I've ever had, but certainly one of the elite.

09-30-2006 07:16:42 | More by TheBungyo
klewis

Received from a trade with Faro

A: Pours a dark copper with a two-finger bubbly head. Heavy lacing.

S: Great complex hop smell. Smooth and subtle with wonderful floral and citrus aromas.

T: Loaded with hoppy goodness and filled with a conglomeration of the great classic hop flavors. Perfectly balanced and full-flavored with a smooth taste and a light refreshing bitterness in the finish.

M: Medium-full bodied with moderate-light carbonation. Chewy and sticky.

D: IPA's don't get better than this. Period.

09-30-2006 00:29:29 | More by klewis
Redrover

4.15/5  rDev -4.6%

The first beer I ordered during my recent visit to Town Hall.

Served in a pint glass, the beer is mahogany with bronze highlights. Nice thick head with ok lacing.

The aroma is an inviting mix of citrus and pine.

The taste is bitter in the most pleasant way. This Momma has a nice oily quality that coats your mouth. In spite of the heavy hopping, the brewer has done a fine job of moderating the beer with a bucket load of malts. This adds an almost molasses based sweetness.

The mouth was fine, but I really expected a bit more heft given the thick qualities of the taste. I can see why this is a very popular beer. It is well made, tasty and worth searching out.

09-26-2006 20:33:10 | More by Redrover
Bitterbill

Wyoming

4.63/5  rDev +6.4%

Got a Growler of this in a trade with TastyTaste:

Poured a copper red with a nice thick head of foam. After a while, the foam shrinks down to a fine but solid layer and...look at all the lacing. Wow.

The smell is of citrus and pine and grass and has floral notes as well. Nice smelling IPA that's tickling my smell buds.

The taste up front is hugely hoppy with grapefruit, pine, grass...a wide variety of bitter tones all in one ale and they work really well together. Heck, midway through and just before the finish there's even a good amount of caramel malt.
The finish is superb, leaving me with a good, long aftertaste that let's me savour the flavours long after the liquid has left the scene of this....anti-crime. ;^)

The more I sip on this one, the more I *want* to sip on it...great batch of tastes but easy drinking, light on the carbonation, refreshing as all heck...

Bottom line: I give a big salute to TastyTaste for enabling me to try this wonderful nectar. I *love* it!

09-15-2006 23:40:26 | More by Bitterbill