Masala Mama India Pale Ale - Minneapolis Town Hall Brewery

Masala Mama India Pale Ale
No picture uploaded.

Minneapolis Town Hall Brewery visit their website
Minnesota, United States

(Beer added by: Jason on 01-01-2003)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Masala Mama India Pale Ale Alström Bros
dzturner

Washington

4.65/5  rDev +6.9%

Simply Amazing!!! Had a friend bring it all the way from Minneapolis to Tacoma, WA for us. Poured in to Minneapolis Town Hall Brewery Mug.
Appearance: Hazy deep amber clearly unfiltered. Not much head on my pour but it did come from a growler.
Smell: citrus, very aromatic but not its strongest point.
Taste: So bitter and last forever yet super malty. The intense bitterness and intense maltyness manage to be extremely balanced. I noticed bitter on the front malt in the middle and then it end hard with a great bitter aftertaste. In fact, minutes after taking a sip a still had the most delicious hops flavor in my mouth. However, it maintains it complexities throughout.
One thing the caught me off guard was its ABV. It tasted a lot moor heavy then a 5.9.
All together it rocked my socks off!!!

08-27-2006 21:44:30 | More by dzturner
Enola

4.35/5  rDev 0%

This beer is hoppy, that's for sure. The color is a reddish brown. There is a thick, creamy head atop the brew. Lots of lacing accent the glass. The smell is like a hop vine. The taste is very bitter. No harsh bitterness and not too sweet. Balanced as far as hoppiness goes. The mouthfeel is very bitter and sticky. There is a sweetness on my lips. The drinkability is pretty darn good too. This is a good IPA. Certainly in my top three or four for the style. I could drink this beer again but the availability may limit that. If you like hop bombs this your ticket.

Many thanks to wcudwight for being more than generous with his growler.

08-24-2006 03:09:33 | More by Enola
wcudwight

4.5/5  rDev +3.4%

Much thanks to beckjeo1 for the growler. I thought I would never have the oppertunity to try this one.
The poor is an amber color. More red than other IPA's I've had. Thin sticky beige head that has good retention. Lot's of sticky lace lines the sides of the glass.
Smell is of hops. Nothing else....just piney and somewhat floral hops. I like.
There is not any balance here. The hops appear, dominate and linger. Actually starts out kind of subdued and suductive with some tropical fruitiness and floral flavors. Then the piny and citrus flavors kick in unmercifully. The taste buds are left fatigued and numb, but begging for more. Long lasting hoppy aftertaste and hop burps.
The mouthfeel is a little thinner than I'd expected, but it doesn't really detract from the beer or the experiance.
Oh man if you love hops it's not only drinkable...It's heaven.

08-24-2006 01:18:36 | More by wcudwight
CH3CH2OH

4.75/5  rDev +9.2%

This is incredible from the cask. The bartender told me that some patrons call ahead to make sure MM is available from the cask and not just in kegs. I rate either cask and keg about equal, but they are radically different.

The cask version pours with an extremely fine head, and a slightly lighter hop aroma than the keg version. The taste is remarkable - fruity hops with no CO2 bite. It's smooth and eminently drinkable, as it is served warmer than the keg version. A glass of each of the cask and the keg MM is a great lesson in the effect of the different treatment of the same beer.

08-21-2006 19:17:15 | More by CH3CH2OH
mcallister

4.15/5  rDev -4.6%

Thanks once again to Faro for bringing this on his journey to Dayton.

This is what an IPA should look like all the time. New penny copper, very clean and pristine looking with an off white, very frothy head that leaves some of the stickiest lace I've witnessed to date.

Great complexity in the aromas, big rich foresty pine hints, with grapefruit hidden underneath. Floral hops also make an appearance, as well as a caramel malty smell.

Very resiny, mouthcoating hops. An overly generous amount of malt makes for a huge full mouthfeel. Pine leads the entrance and the mid-palate but the grapefruit also intertwines. The ending is the thick resiny hops with an even thicker maltiness that shows hints of caramel. Finish of a good 40 seconds leaves you waiting to take the next drink overly satisfied. One of the more complex IPA's I've come around yet well balanced. The only fault is the hops are a little chalky.

Thick, huge, chewy, masculine mouthfeel. The 5.9% makes this drinkable all day for me. If only Minnesota were closer to Ohio.

08-14-2006 21:33:54 | More by mcallister
shivtim

Georgia

3.3/5  rDev -24.1%

I was pretty excited about trying this beer. It's a beautiful rusty brown copper, with a nice foamy off-white head, and exceptional lacing. Looks delicious. The nose is just hops, nothing too crazy here. Taste starts out pleasantly with piney hops and some balancing malts, but it's followed by a way over the top syrupy hop finish. This one-note hop taste sticks around in your mouth for a good 45 seconds. Nothing complex to the ending, just hop hop hop.
Mouthfeel is good, but drinkability suffers because of the extreme lingering aftertaste. Overall it's not bad, but I wish the ending on the taste wasn't such a simple hop overload.

08-14-2006 00:47:42 | More by shivtim
WeisGuy

4.93/5  rDev +13.3%

I've had this brew on-tap, cask-conditioned, and I have a growler in the fridge. Cask-conditioned is undoubtedly the best way to enjoy it.

a - copper color with a moderate sized white head with good retention, lacing is very nice

s - very floral and fruity nose with lots and lots of hops, very strong aroma, the nose screams powerful IPA

t - wow, this is the best-tasting IPA I've had that's not called Dreadnaught, taste is similar to nose, lots of fruity and sweet hoppy bitterness but not overwhelming, cask-conditioned version definitely has a more depth than the regular version in the taste category, the finish is very long and is a wonderful balance of sweetness and bitterness that lasts until the next drink

m - moderate carbonation, the cellar temperature of the cask verson is perfect for this brew even though I usually think of IPAs as being served a bit colder, finish is not overly dry

d - I could (and did last night) sip on this brew all night, amazing depth to the flavor keeps you sipping and ordering more

Quite simply, one of the best beers I've ever had. The regular MM is a wonderful brew, but the cask version is where is exceeds any other other IPA. This brew makes me oh so sad to leave the Twin Cities tomorrow.

08-11-2006 04:34:18 | More by WeisGuy
Gaisgeil

4.25/5  rDev -2.3%

Thanks to JeffKrenner for the growler.

It struck me as a possible bad omen to be drinking this fine Minnesota made brew as I watched my beloved Tigers take on the Twins as I enjoyed it, but I'm just not that given to superstition so I was able to tough it out. ;)

Poured a fairly clear dark amber in color with a loose tan head with good retention. Nose is intensely hoppy with a certain fruity/citrus sweetness in the background. Taste is very piney to begin with but that gives way to a thick grapefruit flavor, layers of strawberry and herbal tones underneath. There is a decent malt backbone here and supports the brew well but it is definitely an afterthought. Not particularly well balanced but that seems to be the idea here. Very flavorful and well made. I can see why this one is so well liked. Mouthfeel is medium, slightly syrupy as it warms, but nice nontheless.

Slàinte!

08-04-2006 05:57:01 | More by Gaisgeil
thaichile

3.98/5  rDev -8.5%

Pours a rich amber, with a very light head sitting right on top. Color made me anticipate a decent malt backdrop to this IPA. Floral nose with fresh fruit. Flavor is most certainly hoppy with some residual bitterness in the finish. Tons of fruit at the end as well in conjunction with the piney grapefruit upfront. Malt backbone not as sturdy as perceived but suffient to support this very nice IPA. Lots of thanks to JeffKrenner for the growler.

07-28-2006 13:46:34 | More by thaichile
NJpadreFan

3.63/5  rDev -16.6%

Masala Mama- IPA

On tap at Town Hall Brewery- Minnepolis.

Appearance- dark copper/ hazelnut brown with a thick tan head. Laced down the glass.
Smell- Malt, light pine hops, and fruit.
Taste- immediate malt balanced with fruit, peach/ orange. followed by a light piney/ earthy hop.
Mouthfeel- big chewy flavor. Easy to drink.

Overall- Not as hoppy or bitter/ dry as I like my IPA's but a solid 1. If spotted I'll pick up a 6er.

07-22-2006 13:59:59 | More by NJpadreFan
Westsidethreat

4.13/5  rDev -5.1%

Thanks to JeffKrenner for the growler.

A: Pours a deep golden amber. Crystal clean with scores of little bubbles rising to the surface. Head is a nice frothy beige, perfectly carbonated inside the growler. Massive rings are forming on the sides of the glass. This isn't lace, its foam 1/4 thick. Impressive.

S: Strawberries, pink grapefruit, fresh pine and soft malt backbone

T: Begins with zesty pine hops. Very resiny and oily, full of character. Sweetness makes its way to the front of the tongue...sort of a cherry/peach/caramel essence. This percolates for a moment before being over taken by the now growing massive wave of bitterness which blankets the tongue. For a moment lost in time, the tongue sits frozen...still...as the pinecone bitterness berates it.

M: Medium to full bodied with a smooth carbonation.

D: Yes, this is a very good IPA. Still have half a growler left :)

07-19-2006 06:19:35 | More by Westsidethreat
supercolter

Wisconsin

4.7/5  rDev +8%

Appearance is fantastic. 2 and 1/2 inch head that is very oily and retains well. The ruby orange color tells me I must drink now... but I inform it that I must first smell the beer.
Smell is good. Nothing too much out of the ordinary here, but a great blend of sweet malt and citrusy hops.
Taste is nothing short of heaven. Wow, the only other 5's I have given in this category go to Duvel and Aventinus. Nice and sweet initially, but as the beer climbs to around 45 degrees the citrusy hops start to wow you.
Mouthfeel is fantastic as well. One of the smoothest beers I have drank, hands down.
Drinkability for the style is very good. The bitterness hangs with you but doesn't make you apprehensive to take the next sip.

07-19-2006 01:25:23 | More by supercolter
SethB2

4.45/5  rDev +2.3%

Poured from a growler into a pint glass.

A - Judging by looks alone, this beer looks like a prototypical amber. Deep red color and transparent. For an IPA, I would expect the typical cloudy orange. Not so with this one.. Head is decent sized and the lacing is damn nice. I like the ruby look.

S - Pretty good, but nothing that is all that remarkable. Smell is clean and of roasted malts and citrisy hops. In all honesty, it smell like a lot of other IPAs out there.

T - OK, here we go. I know where this beer gets it's high rankings. A near perfect blend of roasted malts and hops go down with such ease that I'm afrain my growler won't last the evening. Behind all of that is a candy sweetness that is subtle, yet apparent enough to bring the malts and hops together in a really, really good way.

M - One of the smoothest beers I have ever drank. Near perfect on all fronts. 'Nuff said.

D - I'm afraid that in between the beginning of this review and right now, I've already filled my second pint. Oh, crap.

Many thanks to JeffKrenner.

07-15-2006 04:36:27 | More by SethB2
goodbyeohio

Oregon

4.43/5  rDev +1.8%

from a 1/2 gallon growler, this beer pours a rusty amber color with little life, but a plump, creamy two finger head. this doesn't retain, but leaves some flame-like lacing and an adequate bubble-specked cover of foamy velvet. grassy, piney aromas dominate here with a mere hint of the west coasty citrus profile. some smokiness is here also in the nose, nutty, directing this beer's second major towards english bitter territory. unique aroma but not overly killer on hoppiness. considering beeradvocate and the beers people usually hype, this appears rather tame for a one-time #2.

aah but it tastes great. this is nothing more than a flavorful, drinkable, bold beer with low alcohol. this is a minnesotan's backyard beer, those lucky bastards. initially, i taste lots of fresh hops. these hops are floral in nature. predominantly bitter with botanical bitterness and an underlying play of crisply burnt caramel and toffee. the more my palate adjusts to this flavorful beer, the more i start to pick up sweeter and darker malt notes. the color of this beer also suggests some real earthy char to the flavor, putting a new spin on a way to balance an ipa. there's a tad bit of grapefruit here, but its more like essence trapped in sweetness, like a jolly rancher. no doubt this beer is hoppy, and my mouth is left with physical puckering remnants of such flower. however, the amount of balancing flavor and precise effort shows off a real talent for brewing.

yummy hop burps follow, and i put down pint after pint.

side note: if you like this, and you find yourself in the hartford, ct area, try cambridge house abijah rowe ipa. strangely similar.. leading me to appreciate my own hometown brew even that much more.

an interesting beer to garner such attention. worth a try, absolutely, but not as hoppy or fruity as i usually like my ipa's. here's to mama!

07-03-2006 23:38:17 | More by goodbyeohio
TurdFurgison

4.13/5  rDev -5.1%

My brother brought 3 growlers of this with him from Minneapolis for the 4th of July weekend. I owe him big-time for the chance to try this beer.

The growlers hold the carbonation pretty well, giving a psst sound when the cap is opened. I poured it into tumblers, and it looked pretty good, clear orange color with oily looking white foam. The smell was pine needly hoppy, really good but a little difficult to distinguish from loads of other IPA's.

Like-wise with the taste, the main flavor is hops (which is good but still similar to many other beers). There was a slightly fruity after-taste too which was nice for an IPA.

Overall this is a really good IPA, but I can't see why it's rated #10 on BA. I'd place DFH 90 Minute or Stone Ruination above Masala because they both have more complexity and balance with the malt.

07-02-2006 11:56:04 | More by TurdFurgison
ryantupy

4.6/5  rDev +5.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I tasted and reviewed this beer with out knowing what beer it was. I was told after the review it was Masala Mamma.

This one is kinda of a must for anyone visiting the Town Hall Brewery as it seems to get the most praise. I found it to be a very well balanced beer with some great character. It pours a nice forthy head that is good and rocky and sticks to the glass the whole way down. It a nice orange/reddish color. Smells of really oily hops, flowers, light spice, and even a little nutty maybe. It tastes great in my opinion with some great hoppy bitterness to it. I found this beer to be great I really like IPA's and this one really stood apart from the others.

06-28-2006 07:13:03 | More by ryantupy
bennetj17

Arizona

4.45/5  rDev +2.3%

Medium tawny/copper color with a slight haze. It retained some nice carbonation throughout its long journey and presents with a full three-finger head of fluffy of white foam. Excellent retention and a nice spotty lace. Aroma of soft citrus hops is excellent, but could use a little more umph. The flavor has an intense malty sweetness throughout and a bitterness that rides high on the tongue, carrying on long after the finish. The grassy hops have a nice grapefruit tang and the malt flavor has a slight toasted nut character. A good balance of flavors overall. The mouthfeel is lightly creamy with solid carbonation. This beer went down well and thank goodness it did because I finished nearly the whole growler without much help. Very drinkable and sessionable. This is a fine IPA but I am careful not to overrate it based on its scarcity. Everyone should get the chance to have one though. Thanks goes out to MeLikeBeer for hooking me up...

06-23-2006 18:42:20 | More by bennetj17
errantnight

4.22/5  rDev -3%

4's all around... and an excellent take on the IPA... but (IMO), clearly a product of its limited availability. This doesn't even make the top 5 IPAs discussion... let alone bordering top 10 beers in the world.

Pours a nice amber with a reasonable frothy head and lacing... it looks like a lot of eastern U.S. IPAs. A very enjoyable aroma which hints predominantly with pine and muted floral notes. I'm underwhelmed, but cautiously optimistic.

The taste of malt hits first on the tongue, and there's a wonderful toasty-ness to the malt profile that dissipates into an extremely oily, pine-y hop bitterness. There seems to be more citrus than I detected in the nose. The blend of hop flavors is delicious and well balanced. Despite the big malt presence up front and the well-maintained balance I don't find this quite as drinkable as HopDevil, the IPA I find this share's the most in common.

The after-taste is relatively clean and dry, with just enough bitterness on the tongue to keep you reaching for more.

I'm very glad I stopped by the brewery to pick up a couple of these growlers on my trip, and in MSP I'll be back again... but it's not even the best IPA I tasted on my trip, and I'm shocked that it's rated so highly. Perhaps if they do ever distribute this and it becomes more readily available its rating will even out?

No matter... if it never does, at least it will provide this excellent little brewery some attention, which it surely deserves.

06-15-2006 15:46:46 | More by errantnight
ghostwalker

4.53/5  rDev +4.1%

Growler from a trade with tavernjef. Thanks!

Body is reddish-orange with a huge frothy, almost cake-like, off-white head. Massive lacing from top to bottom in my Duvel tulip. This is visual IPA perfection.

Nose is citrus with a sweet wrapper. Really nice!

Flavor is a wonderful candy citrus blast with a resinous pine finish. The hoppiness really reminds me of SNCA. Has a substantial malty backbone that holds up well and does not get too intrusive. Taste manages to be very intense, yet not fatiguing to the palate. A real treat!

Mouthfeel is almost creamy, yet still quite tangy with a little tooth-strippiness.

Drinkability is insane. Town Hall needs to bottle this ASAP.

06-14-2006 23:07:22 | More by ghostwalker
hylton44

4.75/5  rDev +9.2%

This, the first imbibation of my long-awaited trip to the West Bank's Town Hall Brewery, did not disappoint. The only unfortunate circumstance surrounding this drink is that we had settled for getting served on the outdoor patio area, and my Mama was served in a plastic Texas tumbler.

Nevertheless, a pungent aroma of lush, tropical grasses and ripe grapefruit met my nose; and a deep, brownish amber color met my eyes when this beer was first served to me. Served at the perfect temperature, I fortunately did not have to wait for my first draught. The taste was bitter, rich, and satisfying. Piney, flowery, hints of caramel malts. The mouthfeel was almost creamy, but not in a way that detracted from the bitter zest in any way. I thought this drink was remarkable not only in my initial impression, but also in how the character of the taste did not diminish all the way through the "bitter end," so to speak.

06-12-2006 20:13:20 | More by hylton44
timtheenchanta

South Carolina

4.68/5  rDev +7.6%

This one opens with a nice PFFFTTTT. Phew. Thank goodness. Lots of smoke like vapors leave after opening the top. MANY MANY thanks go out to MeLikeBeer for this fine sample.

Gorgeous one and a half finger head with a minute or two of retention. Brownish orange similar to the fossilized sap on the cane of that man in Jurassic Park... Sticky lacing dances down the glass.

Sweet hops tingle the nostrils on top of the sweet sugary tea aroma and the smell of an open grass field in the morning while the dew is still sitting. As it warms up, piney hops jump out into the nose.

Sweet centennial hops dazzle the tongue before a sweet candy sugary pale malt taste swings in to prepare you for the HUGE bitter hoppiness that comes in.

Mildy fluffy carbonated feel that delights the tongue and palate before drying out and leaving a slightly piney bitterness around. I could have only this beer for the rest of my life and be content.

06-08-2006 02:45:25 | More by timtheenchanta
MSchae1017

Georgia

4.53/5  rDev +4.1%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This beer was tasted in a pint glass from a growler shared with me by timtheenchanta.

This beer was poured an amber orange with a rediculously frothy white head. The beer also laces quite nicely. The smell is very sweet and full of citrusy hop aromas. The taste is full of bitterness and hop flavors. This is truly a showcase for the hops. There isnt a lot of malt character, but the hops really give this a fantastic flavor. Nice mouthfeel, right on for an American IPA, thick enough but not syrupy, also carbonation is good. Overall a great IPA, glad to finally get my hands on this one.

06-08-2006 02:42:25 | More by MSchae1017
dfried

This is a phenominal beer. Golden orange color, perfect off white head of millions of small bubbles that retained at about a centimeter for the entire beer and provided spectacular lacing. I have had this beer many times from the regular tap, but from the cask the hops are toned back a bit, eventhough their complexity is still there, which helps reveal a bit more of the sweet, fruity pale malt. At the beginning of this beer, it tastes atleast a little balanced in malt and hops, definitely leaning towards the hops anyway. The finish though is pretty much all hops, a very broad specturm of them that is just delicious, slightly oily resinous pine and floral like, a bit stronger towards citrus zest, orange and grapefruit, maybe even a bit of apricot. It just plain make you go mmm. the mouthfeel is great on this beer, especially from the cask, enough cabonation to retain the sizeable head, but it's far from overwhelming. Extremly silky smooth. This beer is so good, it is virtually impossible to get sick of it. They go through a lot of seasonals at Town Hall, so I usually go for those, but I try to have one of these nearly every time I stop in for more than one or two.

06-06-2006 18:02:53 | More by dfried
Prufrock

4.43/5  rDev +1.8%

on tap into a pint glass.

orangeish light amber with an off-white layer of head that leaves nice rings of lace.

powerfully hoppy aroma, but with a nice mixture of floral, citrus rinds, and hints of pine. a touch of bitter grapefruit. full, rounded and powerful.

barest hints of caramel malt backing washed away with an incredible mix of hop flavors. less citrus than the nose indicates, but a nice mix of floral and resiny pine. tons of bitter and hoppiness, but it comes off as very well balanced and very drinkable. slick, oily feel with a bitter but rounded finish.

05-30-2006 18:27:00 | More by Prufrock
walleye

3.53/5  rDev -18.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

thanks goes to a trader from Minneapolis, Minnesota for this growler full of beer. had this earlier this month. poured a nice golen orange amber just like it should with a light tan head. aroma wow the hops jump right out there when the cap was twisted off like walking thru a pine forest, than got citrus leaning to the orange and. flavor, I am glad I didn’t rate this on my 1st glass I thought that I might have gotten a bad batch this was so dry that I had to have a glass of water with it, so down in the ref. it went came back a couple of days later and I could tell it was starting to mellow so after drinking this for a little over a week a good portion of the dryness went away and it became a very enjoyable beer to drink, the flavors were hops, orange and some grapefruit

05-28-2006 14:06:05 | More by walleye