Masala Mama India Pale Ale - Minneapolis Town Hall Brewery

No picture.

Minneapolis Town Hall Brewery visit their website
Minnesota, United States

Beer added by: Jason on 01-01-2003

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Masala Mama India Pale Ale Alström Bros
firstprev| 601-625 | 626-650 | 651-675  | next → last
Reviews: 671 | Hads: 1,316
4.97/5  rDev +14.3%

I was in Wisconsin for a friend's wedding and decided to expand my beer horizons. I was able to convince my wife, sister-in-law and brother-in-law to take a side trip to the town hall brewery just after getting off of the plane.

I was glad I was able to use my powers of persuasion in support of the forces of good.

The Masala was delivered to my table with not much in the way of a head, but the rich color and near-floral hoppiness of the aroma that greeted my senses made up for it.

The hops were mildly bitter and tasty without being overwhelming. This does not taste like the product of Cascade Hops, but I did not get a chance to speak with the brewer to suppor tmy hypothesis.

This one finishes a lot smoother than your typical American IPA.

It is a wonderful example of my favorite style.

I also bought a growler to take with me to the wedding and it held up well for the three days it took me to open it up.

4.67/5  rDev +7.4%

Casked Growler

A - Slight Guiness like cascade on this one. Pours a Ruby red, amber with a thick frothy head that is super sticky. Great lacing.

S - Sweet, juicy hops.

T - Great bitter hop bite, well balanced with some sweet caramel malt. Grapefruit and other citrus.

M - Medium to full bodied. Oily hops. Solid carbonation.

D - Super easy drinker. I would drink this all day

I would like to thank JeffKrenner for this great growler... I am jealous that he can get this on a daily basis.

I tasted this beer several weeks ago on the advice of this forum. I usually go mostly for Amber ales with IPAs as a backup. This IPA is amber in color and tastes much like a hopper Amber ale ... very smooth, just a bit of bite, has a great pour.

I will have this beer again - in fact I did today when I was in the neighborhood.

4.57/5  rDev +5.1%

Many thanks to Justn for setting me up with this Minnesota gem. Almost makes up for what the Vikings did to the Packers this year in Minneapolis. Almost.

Pours with foamy, off-white head about an inch and a half thick. Hint of head remains and leaves great lacing. Color is an opaque orangish-brown. Smell screams of hops. I also detect some hints of pine. Minimal carbonation in comparison to others of the same style. This is a great tasting beer and I'm happy to have acquired it so early in my trading career. The mouthfeel is as good as any I've come across in this style. The only detrimental comment I can make about this beer is the aftertaste it leaves - somewhat more sour than I'd expect. Overall, however, a fantastic brew that I can't wait to try again. Feeling good about the 3/4 full growler in the fridge.

4.44/5  rDev +2.1%

A- Really creamy looking, huge head with a nice cascade down the glass. A light copper haze which. A real nicely made brew

S- i get a real smell of butterscotch and orange and grapefruit, very nice aroma to this one, the cask, being that its a bit warmer really brings out the smell

T- Much better than on regular cask, very creamy mouth feel to it, like as said the hops just come at ya, great malt profile biscuit like.

Overall awesome brew by town hall if your able to get it on cask get a pint and maybe another

4.36/5  rDev +0.2%

This is a good IPA. I am not crazy about them normally but this seems as close to perfect as you ar going to get. very nice smell and very drinkable but it still has that dishwater IPA appearance. not overdone of over complicating it, tehy have a winner here. i would drink this again without question.

4.69/5  rDev +7.8%

64oz. growler courtesy of FeloniousMonk.

Poured a hazy orange color with a fantastic white fluffy head. Serious hops in the nose were absolutely intoxicating. This is one of those beers that makes you salivate once you get one whiff of it. Taste is a blast of hops that is balanced very well with the malt. Very easy to drink and an exceptional brew. Too bad you can only get it in Minnesota.

Thanks to FeloniousMonk for the sample.

4.74/5  rDev +9%

This is the beer that made me fall in love with IPAs. I make it a point to get to the Town Hall at least once a month to partake in this beer. The color is a darker shade of gold than most IPAs and the floral aroma is incredible without being overpowering. I've had it from both the tap and the cask and have not been disappointed with either.

3.83/5  rDev -12%

go to townhall brewery at 7 corners and try this beer. it is very good and has a fruity and hoppy taste. full body and very refreshing. plus there is a couple good looking waitresses there to bring your wonderful beverage. they also have a mango masala mama that tastes great as well. very good hoppy beer give it a try.

4.92/5  rDev +13.1%

Enjoyed many times over the recent years. I can't decide which is better... drinking it on the Townhall patio or at home out of the growler, ah my dilemma

shimmering orange with not as much head as I would like.

smells of sweet hops without the annoyance of strict alcohol

Exceptional taste. perfect balance of malt backbone

good consistency, not cloing

Drinkability - Yes, all night.

4.45/5  rDev +2.3%

This is my first review, so apologies for form. I just bought this growler from Town Hall, which is in my neighborhood and which over the last 2+ years I've enjoyed thoroughly when I'm not slumming it at one of the other fine drinking establishments in the Seven Corners.

A: Poured into a 1 pint glass, the pour is an attractive occluded amber with slight carbonation. Head is light, off white, and has good lacing.

S: Hoppy, as a good IPA should be. Fresh, piney, but not bold or overpowering.

T: Delicious. The hops are perfectly chosen and well balanced with the nuanced underlying malts and citrus notes. Crisp as all get out.

M: Near perfect, with just the right level of bitterness on the tongue.

D: I tend to like heavier beers, but this is a perfect brew for a warm Minneapolis summer day. Probably not a session beer, but drinking a few is easy and enjoyable. My favorite of the overall quality beers made by Town Hall.

Overall: One of my favorite beers, and a real treasure from the heartland. It deserves its rating.

4.77/5  rDev +9.7%

A - a beautiful golden copper with a lovely head and long-lasting lace

S - citrus with a lovely flowery aroma -- crisp grapefruit (oxymoron?)

T - a tang of hops -- a cascade of sweet acidity with a malty background. A well structured beer with even flavors of hops and malt

M - a mouthfeel like like silk. Even in a growler, the carbonation pretty much matches the online feel.

D - as a decent example of the type, this is a fairly easy drinking beer.

4.45/5  rDev +2.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

It poured a golden deep orange color with a thick very creamy white head that last for quite a while. Floral hops of pine with notes of light toasted malt or carmel hints.
Hops Hops and more hops with a nice chewy sensation. A crazy strong IPA that I will have again and again.

4.61/5  rDev +6%

Simply Amazing!!! Had a friend bring it all the way from Minneapolis to Tacoma, WA for us. Poured in to Minneapolis Town Hall Brewery Mug.
Appearance: Hazy deep amber clearly unfiltered. Not much head on my pour but it did come from a growler.
Smell: citrus, very aromatic but not its strongest point.
Taste: So bitter and last forever yet super malty. The intense bitterness and intense maltyness manage to be extremely balanced. I noticed bitter on the front malt in the middle and then it end hard with a great bitter aftertaste. In fact, minutes after taking a sip a still had the most delicious hops flavor in my mouth. However, it maintains it complexities throughout.
One thing the caught me off guard was its ABV. It tasted a lot moor heavy then a 5.9.
All together it rocked my socks off!!!

I wish there was an easier way in these reviews to differentiate between the cask, tap and growler versions of this IPA because they are practically different beers!

The cask is served warmer and has a wonderful creamy mouthfeel. The cask serving method tends to mellow out the hop edge, but you can still taste Mike Hoops' complicated hop schedule.

The tap is served cooler and most assuredly has a bracing bitterness and CO2 bite. Here you can play guess that hop in the aroma and taste. I'll tell you there are at least 3 ... maybe it was 4, or was it 5 varieties in there?

The growler is similar to the tap version, but I find it to be much less carbonated and the hops can change and mellow out quite a bit depending on how old your growler is.

This goes for nearly all of Town Hall's beers, but the differences in the IPA is the most dramatic. I'm afraid y'all will just have to come on up here and try all three.

Super Secret Tip: The Cask IPA is so popular that is is almost always on these days.

Super Secret Ninja Tip: If you are coming from afar, the Town Hall is a 30 second stumble from the Holiday Inn Metrodome.

4.21/5  rDev -3.2%

A- Deep amber color, nice lacing, thick creamy head

S- Bitter grapefruit

T- Starts off with a light caramel flavor, strong bitter grapefruit middle and super bitter finish. Acidic aftertaste that lingers.

M- Medium body, well carbonated, even from growler

D- I'm not a hop-head yet, so this was difficult for me to drink because of the excessive bitterness. I could see how a true IPA drinker would love this, and maybe someday I will too. :)

4.42/5  rDev +1.6%

(A) Clear with darkish amber color and hints of copper/gold/orange. One finger head, outstanding retention, and good lacing.

(S) I detect citrusy/piney/floral hops, grapefruit, with a hint of caramel/malty sweetness.

(T) Slightly piney and bitter hops, caramel malts, and pineapple. There is definitely a hint of citrus and possibly grapefruit. The malts provide decent balance that leans towards the hoppy side. Decent complexity and overall enjoyable.

(M) Hoppy bitterness. Low to medium carbonation level (good amount for this particular beer). Medium bodied, possibly on the light side. Lasting finish that is dry, bitter, and crisp.

(O) Overall this is a great IPA with great drinkability. It has a relatively low ABV and has solid complexity. I’m glad I finally reviewed this legendary IPA, arguably the best in Minnesota (only rivaled by Surly’s “Furious”). Although some may not consider it world-class, it is definitely a “must try.”

4.72/5  rDev +8.5%

Thanks to joshuaseresse for the growler!

A: Open the growler to a small pop that notes that carbonation is still very present. From what I've heard, MTH has amazing growler quality. Pours a somewhat translucent copper color with a one inch head that subsides somewhat quickly to a thin head that stays around.

S: Wow, I can smell it far away from the glass. Bitter hops come through first. I can also sense some citrus hop and sweet malt notes.

T: Starts off with a bitter, piny hop taste that transitions into a malty, citrusy taste. The only difference between the scent and the taste is that the bitterness of the hops last much longer than any other taste.

M: The carbonation and great malt backbone (as small as it might be) makes the mouthfeel silky smooth.

Overall: Hands down, my favorite IPA to date. I'm very glad I got a chance to try this.

4.57/5  rDev +5.1%

For all the reviewers out there who only drank this in a growler, they need to try it in person, but only if its being served from a cask. Town Hall rotates their beers from on tap to cask every few days so its sometimes hard to get what you want. However, the Masala Mama is very popular from the cask, so it is there often. And that is with good reason, because even though it is good from the growler, its way better in the cask. Something about the exact temperature and the mouthfeel of the casked beer makes you stop caring that its one of the more bitter beers you've had. How can something be too bitter when it rolls down so smooth. The bottom line is that when its on tap, the carbonation gives it a sharp mouthfeel. There is also something in the growler that is sharp also. On cask, it looses the sharpness, which allows you to just enjoy the beautiful hops cascading over your tongue.

I have enjoyed this brew multiple times, at the brewery/restaurant and out of growlers at home and figured that I'd better submit a report in "thanks" if nothing else. I have not found another that compares. This is it. Fantastic. Can't say enough about it. This is consistently great ale. I am fortunate enough to live close enough to frequent the place or at least pick up a growler. Those of you who aren't, it's time to road trip!

firstprev| 601-625 | 626-650 | 651-675  | next → last