Masala Mama India Pale Ale - Minneapolis Town Hall Brewery

Masala Mama India Pale Ale
No picture uploaded.

Minneapolis Town Hall Brewery visit their website
Minnesota, United States

(Beer added by: Jason on 01-01-2003)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Masala Mama India Pale Ale Alström Bros
THECPJ

Delaware

4.4/5  rDev +1.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Reviewed from notes 12/3/2010
Many thanks to tmcelvain for providing this growler!

A: big citrus hop presence, but there was a slight malty note to it as well.

Ap: a reddish-golden orange hue with a really big head

B/T: pretty mild carbonation, very smooth, easily drinkable.

Af: hoppy, but a mellow hoppiness. a hint of pine thrown in there.

O: a very respectable IPA from the mid-west.

Cheers!
The CPJ

01-08-2011 18:47:23 | More by THECPJ
billab914

4.58/5  rDev +5.3%

Thanks to biniek13 for sending me a growler of this and crossing another off my want list. Poured from a growler into my Dogfish shaped pint glass. pours a dark amber color with a off-white half inch head. The head subsided but left a nice covering on top of the beer and left excellent lacing on the glass.

Aroma is dominated by the pine and citrus from the hops. There are notes of Grapefruit and pineapple with a little sweetness. The taste is a lot like the nose only the sweetness is more present. The pine, grapefruit and pineapple all come through along with a moderate bitter finish. I love the sweetness to it, it's not overdone and the bitterness helps balance it out as well.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied with moderate carbonation. Drinkability is excellent, it's not going to take the two of us long to finish this growler. It's very good tasting and at a pretty decent abv% that makes it even more drinkable. I would drink this beer all the time if it were possible. I was slightly worried that this was a "hype" beer and not worth going out of my way to get a growler, but I am very happy I did. Easily one of my favorite IPA's

01-16-2010 22:32:31 | More by billab914
dirtylou

Washington

4.43/5  rDev +1.8%

The infamous Masala Mama. I know i've had this once or twice at the great taste of the midwest and i've definitely had the mango mama a few times

on-tap and cask at the brewpub

appearance: the cask version is beautiful, but i'm going to review the standard tap...rich orange body, foamy white cap

smell: well hopped, citrus zest, grapefruit, pine, grassy

taste: The tap and cask versions were both very good but I still think it's crazy how carried away the ratings get with this one - being the 2nd best IPA in the world according to ratings seems a bit much. The mama has a very nice hop profile - bright citrus zest, grapefruit/tangerine, light pine sap

mouthfeel: very different on cask - bright hop profile that is light on the palate

drinkability: good

08-29-2010 23:43:27 | More by dirtylou
HopHead84

3.5/5  rDev -19.5%

I had the chance to sample a good amount of this from a fresh growler shared generously by BMan1113VR at The Lost Abbey tasting bar on the evening before Christmas in July.

The beer appears orangish amber with a large white head from my vigorous pour.

The nose is caramel malt with some dull citrus hops. Some grapefruit, orange, and lemon are apparent. The citrus is there, but it's pretty muted and doesn't stand out much from the caramel sweetness. Some pine is also evident.

The hops are pretty dull in the flavor as well. I'd like to say the grapefruit and pine really stand out from the lackluster caramel malt sweetness, but that isn't the case. The beer has a nice medium level of bitterness, but the hop flavor is definitely lacking. I'm not impressed; maybe the growler experienced some trauma on its journey from Minnesota.

07-29-2009 05:41:50 | More by HopHead84
TurdFurgison

4.13/5  rDev -5.1%

My brother brought 3 growlers of this with him from Minneapolis for the 4th of July weekend. I owe him big-time for the chance to try this beer.

The growlers hold the carbonation pretty well, giving a psst sound when the cap is opened. I poured it into tumblers, and it looked pretty good, clear orange color with oily looking white foam. The smell was pine needly hoppy, really good but a little difficult to distinguish from loads of other IPA's.

Like-wise with the taste, the main flavor is hops (which is good but still similar to many other beers). There was a slightly fruity after-taste too which was nice for an IPA.

Overall this is a really good IPA, but I can't see why it's rated #10 on BA. I'd place DFH 90 Minute or Stone Ruination above Masala because they both have more complexity and balance with the malt.

07-02-2006 11:56:04 | More by TurdFurgison
xnicknj

4.2/5  rDev -3.4%

growler poured into tasting glass - thanks to biglobo

Pours a slightly hazed golden orange, nice fluff of white head. Decent retention and balance, plenty of spotty lacing on the glass.

Strong scents of citrus fruits with blood orange, grapefruit and pulp. Some softer biscuit malts with sweetness; very inviting.

Nice burst of juicy hop flavor up front with a decent wave of citrus bite. Grapefruit and orange, some more biting pine as well on the tongue. Decent malt backbone with a biscuity base, some sweetness with caramel. Finishes bitter and hoppy with little residual sweetness.

Medium body, crisp, refreshing, and drinks really well. The ABV is also at a nice level if you're looking for an IPA without too much of a boozy bite.

05-04-2011 19:52:50 | More by xnicknj
drummermattie02

3.5/5  rDev -19.5%

06-26-2013 13:10:20 | More by drummermattie02
ccrida

Oregon

4.15/5  rDev -4.6%

Finally! On draught at the brewery, Masala Mama is dull orange with a small off-white head that leaves scattered, foamy lace.

Smell is pretty hoppy, more on the woodsy pine side of the house, spicey, a bit of sweetness.

Taste is quite good. Nice fruitiness, but not cloying or overly citrusy. Pine resin, a restrained bitterness that mostly lingers on the aftertaste, and a hint of biscuit malt (not nearly as much as I expected by the color). Something about it is very thirst quenching, I could guzzle these all night long.

Mouthfeel is smooth, dry, with a nice, light body.

Drinkability is pretty good, this is a solid IPA. Not the most aggressive by any stretch, but definitely in the west coast style, and most importantly, fresh! While it wouldn't cause a stir in Portland, I assume the hopheads of MN are happy to have it. And it is very drinkable...if I didn't limited time in town to work through their line-up, I'd be having lots of these!

11-03-2010 00:34:26 | More by ccrida
BeerFMAndy

Wisconsin

3.98/5  rDev -8.5%

64 oz growler shared and poured into an American tumbler pint. 5-5 written on cap. (Tapped over DLD weekend and brought down).

Thanks, Beerwolf77, for having me come over to share this guy.

A - Poured into the pint, the beer was a lightly hazy golden orange-amber color with a thin tan head floating on top. Good retention held on for a while and left the small area of glass coated in thin lace.

S - The aroma is low but good with a nice aromatic hop nose of flower pedals and grapefruit citrus with pine resins and a nice caramel and toast backbone. A solid IPA aroma all around.

T - The flavor has a strong pine and hop resin kick to the taste followed up by a pretty potent bitter grapefruit citrus finish. The Backbone that holds it all together is a good balance of toasted caramel malts.

M - Masala is medium-bodied and fairly smooth with a pretty decent carbonation sparkle to the finish. It's also got to have pretty high IBUs cause it's got one bitter kick to it.

D - The bitterness is pretty strong, not that deters very much, but otherwise its a really good IPA with solid drinkability. It's definitely not something I'd session but two pints would be a tasty treat.

04-29-2010 12:15:19 | More by BeerFMAndy
jrallen34

4.18/5  rDev -3.9%

I drank this from a growler into a chalice.

It pours a very dark orange with a big white. There is great lacing and it is surprisngly clear for its darkness of color.

The aroma is nice and subtle. Orange zest hits on the front end but the hops are present.

The tatse is complex with a nice sweet start, hops are present always and really show them self on the end. Its a nice bitter finish but not to bitter so it allows for big swigs and heavy drinking.

The feel is great, lasts several seconds, the hops stay even after you swallow.

Is it drinkable? Hell yeah, crushed a growler with my girlfriend in about an hour.

This is great IPA, slightly higher in my book than PtE.

09-19-2009 14:51:44 | More by jrallen34
johnnnniee

New Hampshire

4.55/5  rDev +4.6%

Growler received in trade from phisigben, thanks for the opportunity. Shared after a long day with HopasaurusRex. Pours a deep golden color with a decent bubbly white head that displays moderate retention and lace. Smells fantastic. Floral, pine, citrus and tropical fruity hops with hints of sweet bready malt deep underneath. Taste is resinous, fruity, pine, and citrus hops with a bit of sweet bready almost caramel malt. Fairly dry with a medium to light body. Moderate level of carbonation with a resinous mouthfeel. Nice flavorful hopification of a beer. If I lived in MN I would drink this all the time, but since I don't I'm glad I got to try it.

12-20-2011 03:51:16 | More by johnnnniee
Rhettroactive

District of Columbia

4.55/5  rDev +4.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

From growler to Bruges hybrid glass on 3/5/11
*From notes

A HUGE thanks goes out to ncmussell for this one. Cheers, Nate!

A: A 2.25 finger head on a careful pour. Amazingly icky, sticky and bubbly lacing. Just a gorgeous shade of dark sunset amber.

S: Citrus! From the moment I removed the growler's cap, it hit me - and hard. Intense pine and fruity resin, with bitter hops and faint, mild malts off in the distance.

T: One word: balance. This is one of the most balanced and delicious beers I've ever had. It's extremely fresh, leading to a massive amount of tropical fruits up front. A run of malt in the middle lays down a track for the bitter yet slightly sweet hoppy finish.

M: The creamiest of IPA's. I can't begin to describe this one - it's like Christmas morning for your mouth. Rich and slightly heavy, the carbonation here is spot-on and simply perfect.

O: If anyone had a timeshare in Minneapolis, lemme know. I could easily see myself going on a week-long bender just killing pints of this heavenly nectar 24/7.

Believe the hype, folks. Masala Mama is worthy of all the praise you've heard and then some. In my opinion, this is the quintessential American IPA.

Two BIG thumbs up. This one should be on your bucket list.

*Paired with a medium-rare, grass fed ribeye and homemade mac & cheese.

03-09-2011 17:33:38 | More by Rhettroactive
HuskyinPDX

Washington

4.53/5  rDev +4.1%

Growler opened on 4.17.12 thanks to Schlais.

A - Pours a dark, clear orange with a foamy light tan head. Good retention.

S - Bready, oranges, light carmel, and pine.

T - A roller coaster or carmel, bread, citrus, oranges and hoppy pine.

D - Good carbonation, whew! I was worried since it was a growler, but the counter-pressure fill helped here. No bitterness at all.

O - Very, very well balanced. Bread, orange, and pine. All present, but not one dominates. I usually prefer my IPAs as hop forward, but this has to be the best balanced IPA I have ever had.

04-22-2012 04:13:16 | More by HuskyinPDX
Bitterbill

Wyoming

4.63/5  rDev +6.4%

Got a Growler of this in a trade with TastyTaste:

Poured a copper red with a nice thick head of foam. After a while, the foam shrinks down to a fine but solid layer and...look at all the lacing. Wow.

The smell is of citrus and pine and grass and has floral notes as well. Nice smelling IPA that's tickling my smell buds.

The taste up front is hugely hoppy with grapefruit, pine, grass...a wide variety of bitter tones all in one ale and they work really well together. Heck, midway through and just before the finish there's even a good amount of caramel malt.
The finish is superb, leaving me with a good, long aftertaste that let's me savour the flavours long after the liquid has left the scene of this....anti-crime. ;^)

The more I sip on this one, the more I *want* to sip on it...great batch of tastes but easy drinking, light on the carbonation, refreshing as all heck...

Bottom line: I give a big salute to TastyTaste for enabling me to try this wonderful nectar. I *love* it!

09-15-2006 23:40:26 | More by Bitterbill
thagr81us

South Carolina

4.08/5  rDev -6.2%

Big thanks goes out to funkydelic for sharing this one! Served from growler into a Mikkeller flute. Poured red-orange with a one finger white head that subsided to half a finger slowly. Maintained phenomenal lacing throughout the glass. The aroma was comprised of sweet malt, citrus, citrus hop, and caramel. The flavor was of sweet malt, butter, citrus, and citrus hop. It had a medium feel on the palate with medium-high carbonation. Overall this was a pretty good brew. The caramel note I got on the nose did quite well with balancing out the acidity of the citrus notes I was getting and made it quite pleasant on the nose. The flavor was also nice with the butter character mixed in with the citrus acidity as well. Just a well done brew that I would enjoy having again and again. A definite must try even if you aren't trying to tick the Top 100 list.

08-26-2011 11:36:41 | More by thagr81us
Alieniloquium

3.93/5  rDev -9.7%

64 oz. growler poured into multiple pint glasses. My wife was supposed to help me drink this, but I ended up with a solid 48 oz. of it!

Appearance - Deep amber, maybe copper body with a nice, creamy off-white head. The lacing is tremendous. A continuous coat of foam down the sides and all over the top of the beer. Well made, but very dark for an IPA, especially a single IPA.

Smell - I don't get the pungent hop aroma I expected from an IPA rated so well. Sure, it's citrusy and piney in equal measures, but really I get a lot of biscuit malts. The aroma just isn't all that strong, either. When it's cold I don't get much of anything.

Taste - Taste is good, though. Definitely a strong hop flavor up front. Again, equal parts citrus and pine, which pair well with a toasted malt backbone. Lots of malt, though. It reminds me of an amped-up English IPA. The finish is toasty and very bitter, almost unpleasing.

Mouthfeel - That aftertaste takes away a little bit, but otherwise it's easy drinking. Good thing, too, because 48 oz. of this would be tough to put away otherwise.

Overall - A solid IPA. Not something I'd seek out again, but if I was in MN, I'd make the trek to the Town Hall brewery for it. Other MN IPAs definitely stand above this one, though.

10-11-2011 00:08:01 | More by Alieniloquium
OWSLEY069

4.33/5  rDev -0.5%

Pours a reddish to copper color with a nice tan head. In the aroma, piney hops. In the taste, piney hops and green apples, a touch of nice maltiness. A bitter and medium bodied mouthfeel, with dry, piney hops in the aftertaste. Bigs hops and very nice.

06-08-2010 13:49:51 | More by OWSLEY069
AgentZero

4.5/5  rDev +3.4%

A - Clear amber color with a nicely soapy looking white head. Some chunk lacing as I drank which faded into some fine stick as time went on.

S - Really hoppy, a nice amount of citrus, but not too grapefruity, subtle pine notes make up the hop profile. Subtle malt backbone that doesn't detract from the hops or make it to carmelly.

T - I think this might be my favorite IPA, even moreso than PtE and PtY. Would want to do a side by side for comparison. Nicely bitter resin taste with pine notes blends in with the citrus. It's slightly sweet, and balanced by the bitterness which does not become overpowering. The malt backbone is there, but complementary.

M - Finishes bitter, a bit puckering, but not too bad. Definately a medium bodied IPA, with some great carbonation to make it refreshing.

D - Could drink this all day, a great thirst quencher too if you're thirsty.

05-12-2010 14:55:40 | More by AgentZero
tavernjef

4.85/5  rDev +11.5%

I've had this so many numberous times from growlers and fresh right at the pub, thought perhaps it was time to do a review for the tapped version as the casked version is different but just as good if not better on-tap.

This is from a fresh growler:
Softly dulled bronze color, with a fine and firm capping of ivory hued foam. Head grows consistent and vigorously to a fine foam of puff. Gets bumby and moon-surfaced as it crumbles down slowly. Keeps a fine hazey skim and a load of thickly set lacing closer to the top of the liquid as the rest from towards the top is placed in light webby strings.

Now I've had a super fresh batch and the aroma first off the tap was awesomely peachy and loaded with hoppy goodness. This time around the aroma has been softened by alot from what I know what its capable of. So for now, I lower my number due to its softer touch. Gotta go with ya got. Still quite pungent though, just not as peachafied as those first tappings. What I do like is its fine crispness, very sharp and lofty with a big toasty malt showing its side of things on this day. The rest is made up of some very fresh pine thats fairly resinous. Tinges of orange sweep up along with a few bits of grapefruit and partailly heated hop dust.

The taste is what I've come to love about this beer. Supurb cleanness, carefully bittered, well balanced, citric and toasty. Those fresher batches tend to bring out the peach tones alot more, as does the cask offering, but this still rocks my world. Lovely toastyness, creamy, soft, caramel is slippery within. Buttery biscuits among the toasted stuff. But those hops really just make a nice accompanyment and entice the buds into a ballet of tongue dancing delight. Well placed and quite pungent pine resin grabs with an intense but evenly handled bite with great nuances of citrus tones leading into heavier orange and slighter grapefruit rinds and juices. This time around - very, very slight hint of peach in the creamier areas in the middle where the toasty stuff floats off. But other times I've had this the peach has really pushed forward as the dominate fruit and I love that even more then what it is now. Still... this....This is quite tasty.

Body is nearly full, great crispyness; clean, toasty, creamy in the middle, bittered with juicy citrus and pine, but not overloaded so as to burn the tonsils out the back of your throat. Its feverant, but mellowingly bittered. And as always, way to drinkable. So much so, this could possible be liquid crack for some folks out there. And as Hugey states, I too have yet to recieve a faultered pint full or growler full of this stuff. The peach tones weren't as present this time around, but when it does, it just adds another wave of magic to this already fantastic IPA.

Notes of difference: Cask body is fuller and more rounded where the edges blurr with hops and warmth. Cask tends to be more set with fruitier juices and bitterly tamed. Tapped body is cleaner and crisper with more edgeyness to the hop profile and with its bitterness it tends to give a sharper return quicker. Where as the cask version is more gradual in the hop profile and warming.

The tapped Mama is always available so when its on-cask, try em both side by side, you'll have lots of fun comparing and contrasting each of their subtlities.

04-16-2005 00:53:08 | More by tavernjef
WOLFGANG

South Carolina

06-27-2013 22:30:43 | More by WOLFGANG
DefenCorps

Oregon

4.63/5  rDev +6.4%

growler received from MeLikeBeer. Thanks a million for this! Split it with a BA johnmichaelsen and my brew buddy Jared.

A: Clear amber pour with a gorgeous beige head with great retention and beautiful lacing. Excellent

S: Piney, oily hops with the faintest hint of caramel sweetness. Sharp with a mild floral note.

T: Bitter but exceptionally well balanced. Starts off with a pleasant hop bite with pine and a thin malt presence. Great drying finish with a pleasant bitterness

M: Pleasant carbonation, nice oily mouthfeel, nice dryness on the finish

D: Insanely drinkable, i could have drunk a growler by myself.

05-31-2008 00:30:36 | More by DefenCorps
ZAP

4.1/5  rDev -5.7%

---
7-4-03
Hazy, but extremely rich looking copper...nice little frothy head on top...the nose is sweet, fresh and fruity....some citrus but also some sweeter fruits..like a cocktail of grapefruit/strawberry/mango...

The taste is big on the west coast citrus..grapefruit big-time...big juicy hop flavors...very big bitterness...not for the weakhearted...malt is secondary all the way...hops dominate...The mouthfeel is almost slightly unbalanced as the hops overwhelm but what the F#ck, this is an IPA right?? Bitter me up!!

This will be too bitter and hopped up for some..I lvoe it but a little more balance would make this even better..hops heads will love this...good for a pint or two...tough to drink a lot more in one sitting..

07-04-2003 09:25:19 | More by ZAP
RoyalT

Appearance – This was one of the most beautiful beers that I have ever seen. The color is a perfect, dark hazy, mysterious orange. The head is thick, not fluffy. It looks like you could stand a spoon up in it. It showed great retention and left some terrific lacing on the inside of my Ruination glass.

Smell – This is a hop-lover’s dream. The profile is very complex. The floral notes are very pleasant and there is a small hint of citrus. But the big bopper here is the thick pine resin. It jumps across the room with sharpness and distinction.

Taste – Oh, yeah. Forget the hype; this is the real deal. The awesome malt base, which I totally missed at the nose, came out wonderfully on the tongue. The toasted malt, rich toffee, and chewy caramel flavors are so smooth they just melt in your mouth.

Not to be outdone, the hops are large and in charge. They mate perfectly with the malty base. The hop profile is very complex and harmonious. This one has it all.

Mouthfeel – Rich, thick, chewy, and much bigger than medium-bodied but not full, this one has a finishing dryness that will please the IPA lover to death.

Drinkability – I don’t think I’ve ever had a smoother, tastier, more enjoyable IPA than this guy right here. Having said that, I actually am exercising the self-discipline needed to save half this growler for a fellow BA. With that kind of willpower I should be bending spoons.

Comments – I can’t thank feloniousmonk enough for sending me this crown jewel of Minnesota.

07-03-2004 00:26:53 | More by RoyalT
chippo33

Vermont

2.5/5  rDev -42.5%

06-18-2013 00:05:44 | More by chippo33
gford217

Georgia

4.43/5  rDev +1.8%

Growler thanks to MeLikeBeer shared at the BA get-together at the Brick Store. Poured into a tulip.

A: Pours a deep clear cooper with a fluffy off-white head that lingers for a long time leaving very good lacing.

S: Smell is very well balance with big pine and grapefruit scents up front balanced by a sizable bready malt aroma in the background with a hint of caramel.

T: Taste is amazingly smooth and balanced with the hops dominating but not overly bitter. The citrus hits up front with grapefruit and gives way to the sweet malts. The finish is a smooth pine hoppiness, very crisp and clean.

M: As stated above, the mouthfeel is super smooth for an IPA and medium bodied with little bitterness on the palate.

D: This is a very balanced and drinkable IPA and big thanks again to Brent for sharing this great brew with me.

06-22-2008 00:34:20 | More by gford217