Elves' Elixer 2011 - Minneapolis Town Hall Brewery

No picture uploaded.

Minneapolis Town Hall Brewery visit their website
Minnesota, United States

Belgian IPA |  8.50% ABV

(Beer added by: zeff80 on 12-22-2011)
Reviews by the Alström Bros:

None found.

3.88/5  rDev -7.4%

Big thanks goes out to MBrausen for sending me this one to tick! Shared with caSSino as I didn't want to crush this one by myself. Served from growler into a NoDa Brewing snifter. Pours hazy golden yellow with a one finger pure white head that subsided to a minimal amount quickly. Maintained decent lacing throughout the glass. The aroma was comprised of sweet malt, banana runts, spices, fruit, fruit hop, tangerine, and citrus hop. The flavor was of sweet malt, spices, fruit, fruit hop, banana, and alcohol. It had a medium feel on the palate with high carbonation. Overall this was a decent brew. The nose on this one was quite nice and strong. I really like how the banana came off on this one on the nose. I really wish it would have come off more as a sweet banana runt flavor than it did. This one was fairly hoppy which covered up quite a few of the subtle flavors that might have been present. Worth trying if you get the opportunity.

thagr81us, Jan 18, 2012

nmann08, Jan 04, 2012

MITCHELLMPLS, Jan 14, 2012
4.2/5  rDev +0.2%

Tap on 12-22-11

A - Poured a hazy, golden yellow color with a small, white head of foam. It left sudsy trails of lace on the glass.

S - It smelled fruity and slightly funky with a touch of spices.

T - It tasted very spicy with a fruity bite. Nice bitter hop bite with some sweet caramel as a backbone.

M - It was crisp, sharp and smooth. A medium bodied ale with a very dry finish.

O - This is a really good Belgian IPA. Certainly worth a try if you're in the Twin Cities.

zeff80, Dec 22, 2011
4.75/5  rDev +13.4%

mattmarka1, Jan 17, 2014
4.25/5  rDev +1.4%

WoodburyMN, Jan 02, 2013
4.5/5  rDev +7.4%

eawolff99, Dec 13, 2012
4.35/5  rDev +3.8%

Had a taste of this at TH and had to get a growler. This stuff is hoppy like what. Pours a nice big white head (prob from the Belgian yeast). Color is a slightly hazed golden orange.

Aroma: Floral and yeasty. Very belgian-like. Some spices. Then all the American hops hit. Tons of tropical fruits and floral notes. Pineapple and lemon citrus. Very earthy and fresh. A nice amount of orange peel as well.

Taste: Much like the nose. Belgian up front and then then the hops hit. Floral and tropical. Oranges, pineapple, lemon zest and grapefruit. Some bready malts but mainly hoppy. Some spices with the Belgian flavors.

Mouthfeel: Sticky and bitter. Medium bodied with a good amount of carbonation. Ends sticky and hop resiny.

Overall, this was a fantastic Belgian IPA. Definitely top notch. I like how hoppy this was and how American forward it was. A definite must try.

mothman, Jan 08, 2012
4.88/5  rDev +16.5%

I am not a huge fan of Belgian IPA's but this is a standout. HUGE citrus notes...oranges, tangerines, grapefruit...and then a nice but not overwhelming Belgian yeasty feel to it....

This is my #2 all-time Belgian IPA just a slight notch down from Ale Asylum which is very similar but just a bit brighter with the citrus which I really like...

ZAP, Jan 09, 2012

I went to Town Hall with 6 growlers to fill for New Year's weekend with my brother. I was expecting to walk out with equal parts Grinch, Elixir and Festivus. If anything, more of the Grinch than anything else because I knew we both really apprectiated that beer from year's past. I sampled some of the brews and had a pint of the Elixir while I was there and I was sold. This was the real deal. I ended up walking out with 3 growlers of the Elixir and I(we) were not disappointed over the weekend. Fantastic stuff. I would say best Belgian IPA I've had, and if that is the case, it had to be my 8th beer I've rated a perfect 5.0 since I gave Ale Asylum's Bedlam a 4.9. Now THAT would be an interesting Blind taste test. Someday maybe...

I'm gonna review this beer from memory after sharing 3 growlers with the bro...

Nice golden yellow body. Fluffy white head with good retention and lace qualities. Fresh aroma of belgian yeast and citric hops and bready malts. The flavor was bright and bold. Citrus led the way with lemon and orange and grapefruit. Bready/biscuity maltiness was sturdy with belgian yeast really shining through as well with bright esters and spiciness. Drinkability quotient out of this world. Awesome, awesome beer.

I will put in a personal request for a return of this beer at some time in the future.

Bighuge, Jan 07, 2012