Black H2O Oatmeal Stout - Minneapolis Town Hall Brewery

Minneapolis Town Hall Brewery visit their website
Minnesota, United States

Oatmeal Stout |  6.00% ABV

Beer added by: ADR on 04-06-2003

Traditional oatmeal stout. The silky smooth oatmeal lends itself perdectly to the intense roasted malt character of this dark robust stout.
firstprev| 26-50 | 51-75 | 76-100  | next → last
3.65/5  rDev -11%

Served on tap - nitro (16oz glass, $3.75) at the Town Hall Brewery Minneapolis, Mn. Pours with one finger tan head that goes slowly leaving a good lace. Black color. Light carbonation and full bodied. Hints of coffee and smoky nose. Starts balanced and very smooth, finish has some roasted/burnt coffee flavor. The ABV is 6.0%. (327 characters)

3.55/5  rDev -13.4%

It looks great, smells wonderful--lots of roasted malt. I love stouts and this one didn't disappoint in the flavor, smell, or appearance category...but, I was a little disappointed by the mouthfeel. I think that it should be a little thicker. I like a stout to be stout in every way, with a big mouthfeel, a nice aroma, and a rich taste. I just felt that H2O met two out of the three requirements. I could drink them all night, but it still felt like it was mis-named to me...just a stout, not thick enough to be an oatmeal stout. (530 characters)

3.37/5  rDev -17.8%

64oz growler. Sampled on 10/01/2005. Sticker says "Enjoy By: 10-5"

After reading some of the other reviews, I'm convinced that there was a problem with the growler I took home from the brewery...somewhat surprising, since I kept it cool the entire way home and put it in the fridge as soon as I got back. Also, managed to drink it several days before the date listed.

The pour was dissapointing. Really no head to speak of..it poured very flat into the glass. Dark brown, virtually black in color. The smell is rich coffee and hints of chocolate. Taste is similar, and the best character of this by far, even with the carbonation problems that were obvious with this serving type.

Unfortunately, I have not been able to try this yet at the brewery. As soon as I do, I'm very confident that my rating of this brew will be substantially higher. I attribute the carbonation problems to the growler, not the beer itself. I just wish I could have enjoyed this beer in it's full glory. I guess I'll just have to wait until my next trip to Town Hall. I'm anxious to try it again. (1,081 characters)

3.11/5  rDev -24.1%

( Served in an American pint glass)

A- Dark black body with a faint hint of brown but to opaque to really see. A nice creamy tan head on top.

S- Black patient and other roasted grains with a slight sweetness. No sourness noticed but a hint of dried fruit like prunes in the background.

T- With the first cold sips I tasted notes of sweet dark chocolate bourbon and oak complexity with some tanginess but it was all condensed into one flavor. However the taste quickly changed with as it warmed slightly. It didn't have all that complexity but more of an off-taste that loosely held those notes of flavor. It tasted more like a defect rather than a quality. It had a faint hop bitterness but no real hop finish and the off-flavor seemed to dominate.

M- This beer has a medium full mouthfeel and no astringency.

D- This was an O.K. beer but the only real flavor was what I would call an off-flavor. It didn't really have any distinct flavors from the oatmeal no real nuttiness or grainy flavors. (1,011 characters)

2.88/5  rDev -29.8%

Enjoyed at Town Hall Brewery in Minneapolis, MN. Poured a black body with a light tan head of foam. Aroma was dark roasted malts and I swear I could smell straw. Full bodied with a smoothy, creamy mouthfeel. This one starts off great, but it turns out to be too sweet. Half way through I was tired of it and wished I'd ordered something different. Too bad. (356 characters)

firstprev| 26-50 | 51-75 | 76-100  | next → last