Follow our progress ...

YOUR RATING = None |

Minneapolis Town Hall Brewery
Minnesota, United States | website

Style: Oatmeal Stout

Traditional oatmeal stout. The silky smooth oatmeal lends itself perdectly to the intense roasted malt character of this dark robust stout.

Added by ADR on 04-06-2003

firstprev| 26-50 | 51-75 | 76-100  | next → last
Reviews: 97 | Ratings: 217
3.71/5  rDev -9.3%

Was on tap when visited Town Hall which was on nitro-tap. The color was a good dark black with limited color distortion when tipped or held to the light. The head was exceptional as per a nirtro drop would do. A crisp tan color with a creaminess to it. The smell is sweet with a candy liquorish fragrance to it. Stronger roasted and some light plums are noticeable too.

The taste has a nitro twist to it. Makes a creamy taste but also dampens the taste down. The malt has a stronger oatmeal and roasted mixed with black patent taste. More of a chocolate quality then say coffee. A hinted lactose flavor is noticed as well but it’s very subtle. Not quite milk but maybe influenced by the nitro. The hop is minor but limited earthy tastes support the strong oatmeal malt taste.

The beer was full bodied with good carbonation. A good taste that is sweeter then most oatmeal stouts. Overall I’m not a fan of nitro but I think it gave more of a smoother and creamer taste, but also limits the malty flavor.

3.68/5  rDev -10%

On tap at the brew pub...Pours black with a medium tan head that rises a finger and stays a decent amount of time. Thick lacing...A decent aroma of sweet chocolate, roasy and the oatmeal comes through nicely. Could be a bit stronger and more roasty to really get me excited...The taste is on the sweet side, needs more roast to balance it out more. Light hops on the back give some balance, just not enough.

Worth trying but nothing special.

3.65/5  rDev -10.8%

Served on tap - nitro (16oz glass, $3.75) at the Town Hall Brewery Minneapolis, Mn. Pours with one finger tan head that goes slowly leaving a good lace. Black color. Light carbonation and full bodied. Hints of coffee and smoky nose. Starts balanced and very smooth, finish has some roasted/burnt coffee flavor. The ABV is 6.0%.

3.55/5  rDev -13.2%

It looks great, smells wonderful--lots of roasted malt. I love stouts and this one didn't disappoint in the flavor, smell, or appearance category...but, I was a little disappointed by the mouthfeel. I think that it should be a little thicker. I like a stout to be stout in every way, with a big mouthfeel, a nice aroma, and a rich taste. I just felt that H2O met two out of the three requirements. I could drink them all night, but it still felt like it was mis-named to me...just a stout, not thick enough to be an oatmeal stout.

3.37/5  rDev -17.6%

64oz growler. Sampled on 10/01/2005. Sticker says "Enjoy By: 10-5"

After reading some of the other reviews, I'm convinced that there was a problem with the growler I took home from the brewery...somewhat surprising, since I kept it cool the entire way home and put it in the fridge as soon as I got back. Also, managed to drink it several days before the date listed.

The pour was dissapointing. Really no head to speak of..it poured very flat into the glass. Dark brown, virtually black in color. The smell is rich coffee and hints of chocolate. Taste is similar, and the best character of this by far, even with the carbonation problems that were obvious with this serving type.

Unfortunately, I have not been able to try this yet at the brewery. As soon as I do, I'm very confident that my rating of this brew will be substantially higher. I attribute the carbonation problems to the growler, not the beer itself. I just wish I could have enjoyed this beer in it's full glory. I guess I'll just have to wait until my next trip to Town Hall. I'm anxious to try it again.

3.11/5  rDev -24%

( Served in an American pint glass)

A- Dark black body with a faint hint of brown but to opaque to really see. A nice creamy tan head on top.

S- Black patient and other roasted grains with a slight sweetness. No sourness noticed but a hint of dried fruit like prunes in the background.

T- With the first cold sips I tasted notes of sweet dark chocolate bourbon and oak complexity with some tanginess but it was all condensed into one flavor. However the taste quickly changed with as it warmed slightly. It didn't have all that complexity but more of an off-taste that loosely held those notes of flavor. It tasted more like a defect rather than a quality. It had a faint hop bitterness but no real hop finish and the off-flavor seemed to dominate.

M- This beer has a medium full mouthfeel and no astringency.

D- This was an O.K. beer but the only real flavor was what I would call an off-flavor. It didn't really have any distinct flavors from the oatmeal no real nuttiness or grainy flavors.

2.88/5  rDev -29.6%

Enjoyed at Town Hall Brewery in Minneapolis, MN. Poured a black body with a light tan head of foam. Aroma was dark roasted malts and I swear I could smell straw. Full bodied with a smoothy, creamy mouthfeel. This one starts off great, but it turns out to be too sweet. Half way through I was tired of it and wished I'd ordered something different. Too bad.

firstprev| 26-50 | 51-75 | 76-100  | next → last