Black H2O Oatmeal Stout - Minneapolis Town Hall Brewery

Minneapolis Town Hall Brewery visit their website
Minnesota, United States

Oatmeal Stout |  6.00% ABV

Beer added by: ADR on 04-06-2003

Traditional oatmeal stout. The silky smooth oatmeal lends itself perdectly to the intense roasted malt character of this dark robust stout.
4.23/5  rDev +3.4%

Nice black pour with a nice tan head that never leaves.
Aromas are toasted malts, sweet and bready
Nice malty flavors are dominant, just a tinge of hops but the oats are there.
Mouthfeel is what always gets me on these beers, I love the chewy creamy coats your throat feeling here.
I could drink these all night, filling: yes, wonderful: yes.

Give me another.

4.52/5  rDev +10.5%

Got a growler of this from todd1, thanks a ton man. Sampled with my buddy Kaleb.

64 oz. poured into a pint glass.

Pours an absolute onyx black with a fluffy dark tan one finger head that dies down to a thin layer. Thin lacing left behind on the sides of the glass. Smell is rich caramel and sweet toasted oat. Roasted barley with chocolate and molasses malt. Some coffee and cream with cane sugar. Just an overall complex smelling beer. Silky smooth all the way, such an amazing feel in the mouth. Pretty hefty for an Oatmeal Stout, but I like it...alot. Thanks again Todd, I think the Masala Mama is up next. Time to go kick Kaleb's ass in Cricket.

4.76/5  rDev +16.4%

Had this one on cask at MTHB last night.

Appearance: Beautiful obsidian black color with a light 1/2 inch brown-sugar colored head.

Smell: Not a whole lot of aroma, but there are nice tones of chocolate initially. This beer has an excellent coffee like aroma. Its almost like an expresso.

Taste: Phenomenal flavors. So rich and creamy. The chocolate and expresso aroma didn't lie as they carry through into the flavor. Not overpoweringly so, but present in a perfect way. Not very bitter or hoppy, which is the way I feel this beer should be.

Mouthfeel: Silky smooth and full bodied. Of course this is enhanced by the fact that I had it on cask. In my opinion an Oatmeal Stout should be incredibly smooth and soft. This beer exemplifies these qualities.

Drinkability: It's to bad I drove, as I would like to put back a ton of these. This beer was clearly a treat. The non-cask version would rate just slightly lower (only on the mouthfeel portion), but I feel it is definitely worth drinking as well. If you are at MTHB and this beer is on cask, you must try it.

4.36/5  rDev +6.6%

There was a lot to like about this beer. I thought it exhibited the dry-roastiness of an Imperial Stout while maintaining a lightness on the tongue and dryness of an Irish stout and delivering the light sweet finish of a breakfast stout. So, I would say this is a very pleasant blend of all three styles!

It pours very dark, although not inky like an imperial stout, with a thick nude pantyhose colored head. Aroma was roasty. Flavor was extremely roasty, with hints of coffee, and some slightly sour sweetness at the finish. Mouthfeel was light yet substantial (and wonderful!), and not at all syrupy the way some heavier stouts can be. I found this to be an extremely drinkable, yet extremely flavorful, stout and enjoyed it immensely.

Highly recommended.

4.18/5  rDev +2.2%

In a head-to-head battle royale with Sammy Smith Oatmeal Stout, I put my money on the Black H20. It's just so smooth and creamy, all the while providing a chocolate malt body with a hint off roasted grains and coffee, it's hard not to love. This is a beer drinker's beer.

4.15/5  rDev +1.5%

A- Thicker dark tan head on a black body.
S- Big oatmeal and roasted aromas, some citrus and grass hops, and just a great aroma. Not one thing is to over powering.
T- A blend of oatmeal, coffee, and roasted flavors. Hints of burnt grain comes through too. Citrus hops help balance out and "brighten" up the flavor. Leaves a medium/light bitterness on the tongue. Hops and hints of coffee and oatmeal lingering in the aftertaste.
M- Medium body with low/medium carbonation. I wish it had a bit more smooth-creamy feel to it.
D- I really like it. I think there are some better ones out there but this is a solid brew.

4.08/5  rDev -0.2%

Picked this growler up while in Minneapolis, and although the flavor did not last long, still did not disappoint.
This is a beautiful black brew, with a foamy, sticky and long-lasting tan head.
Very pleasant nose, mostly rich coffee, toffee, caramel.
Rich taste on this very creamy brew starts sweetish, loaded on coffee as expected, full of roasted malts with a mild balancing hops.
Very easy to drink, and very pleasant. Unfortunately, my growler was great on the first night but the following day had to be wasted.
I will, however, try this again when I have the chance.

4.23/5  rDev +3.4%

Deep dark color is pretty much black, topped by a medium brown head. Sweet malt aroma is touched by vanilla and bourbon notes. Very appealing. Flavor has a solid roasted note that blends well with a sweet malt character. Silky smooth oatmeal oily texture just adds to the experience. The vanilla and charred malt complement the mix of flavors well. Mouthfeel is smooth and solid. Drinkability is very good. A nice example of an oatmeal stout.

4.1/5  rDev +0.2%

Poured a deep black with a nice head, half inch to a thin film, decent lacing, pretty nice. Aroma is weak, but noticed dark roasted malts, not so much oatmeal hints, and maybe some chocolates, pretty nice but nothing special. The taste is what an oatmeal stout should be, nothing more, nothing less. Mouth is the same. I may be underwhelmed, but this is a very drinkable beer, pretty much perfect with half of their food menu, very much an everyday beer for anyone.

3.85/5  rDev -5.9%

64oz growler received in a trade with objectivemonkey

Smell is in line, very sweet with a good oats aroma, very chocolaty

Taste is more of the same, very sweet up front, almost too sweet, but then the oats kick in the deliver that smoothness. Which is a good thing too, because this brew has no bitterness to it at all. Which I really don't like, but the very unique flavors are making up for it. And the ABV is not even there, but being as sweet as this is, I'm not surprised, I'm expecting it.

Overall, a good Oatmeal Stout, and one I would frequent if available to me. Luckily, there are better Oatmeal Stouts within reach. But all in all, I enjoyed a more sweet Oatmeal Stout, if only to remind me what else is out there.

3.83/5  rDev -6.4%

The aroma is very roasty and coffee accented with some mild chocolate and vanilla notes. It’s much roastier than you get from most sweet stouts, but that is a good thing. The body is black and holds a thumb thick mocha head that quickly compresses down to pencil thickness, but then holds there.

The fore is again quite roasty with vanilla, coffee, chocolate, caramel and a hint of ripe dark fruit. The aftertaste is sweeter with less roasted notes and the mouthfeel is creamy with low carbonation and that hefty feel of a good stout despite some thinness to the flavor through the middle. This is a pretty nice brew and I’m tickled pink to have a whole growler to enjoy. Had a pint yesterday and it seems even tastier today.

3.88/5  rDev -5.1%

Originally reviewed on December 2, 2005. On tap at the brewpub. Pitch black, witha cream and coffee head. Deep coffesque and cream aroma with tons of cocoa and roast. Flavor is smoky, seet, creamy and loaded with sugar, molasses and more coffee, yet mellow rounded and fruity, almost like this beer has had a mellow barleywine added to it. There’s a subtle gentle brandy quality, with warming tones and a high level of complexity and depth. I’m really enjoying this. A decent run of Tahitian vanilla bean and sweet caramel. Lucious. Damn, Town Hall makes Stouts best.

4.25/5  rDev +3.9%

I've always loved a good stout on a cold winter evening...the Black H2O Oatmeal rendition did not let me down! I enjoyed this beer on a recent trip to the Townhall Brewery...(slight side note). Parking at this place can be a real pain, on this trip, I parked in a lot that was apparently marked as a "tow zone." Long story short, this trip to Town Hall cost me about $300, having drank 3 beers, that comes out to about $100/beer...well worth it!!! I'm keeping my notorious positive attitude on this one!

...The Black H2O is a brilliant creamy, smoky, oatmeal stout...with hints of roasted malt and a clean velvety/chocolate after taste. The creamy 3/4 inch head on this beer breathed out great aromas and sat beautifully on the top of the beer. A beautiful burnt charcoal color that had a medium/perfect mouthfeel. Only slight downfall, the beer was served just a bit too cold...enjoyed it even more as I let it sit down toward the bottom.

Drinks like a light meal and would go very well with a tradional English style comfort meal of pot roast, potatoes, carrots....

4.38/5  rDev +7.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A very burnt, rugged, amber brown, very dark, reminiscent of something you would find in the middle of the woods that a "cabin brewer" would brew. Still a nice mocha head very frothy that leaves a fabulous sticky lace behind.

Rich and sweet vanilla, slight coffee, burnt roasted malts, marshmallow, a bit of milk chocolate, and even some melted toffee, with a cherry on top.

Rich, and creamy, smooth as day mouthfeel, flavors of burnt chocolate, roasted malt, smoke, oatmeal of course, sweet heavy cream, and a bit of black currant.

This is an oatmeal stout I could find myself drinking on a daily basis.

3.55/5  rDev -13.2%

It looks great, smells wonderful--lots of roasted malt. I love stouts and this one didn't disappoint in the flavor, smell, or appearance category...but, I was a little disappointed by the mouthfeel. I think that it should be a little thicker. I like a stout to be stout in every way, with a big mouthfeel, a nice aroma, and a rich taste. I just felt that H2O met two out of the three requirements. I could drink them all night, but it still felt like it was mis-named to me...just a stout, not thick enough to be an oatmeal stout.

4.32/5  rDev +5.6%

2 day old growler.

Pours nitrous smooth into an imperial pint glass. Not really opaque, but there's a nice big brown head that sticks around for a respectable amount of time. Probably a nicer pour on draft.

Smells of very distinct coffee and big huge milk chocolate all backed up by an oatmeal rawness that would make me think this was a porter if it wasn't so guldarn smooth. Seriously sweet, in a wholesome way. Reminds me of a certain popular Breakfast Stout...

Tastes not quite as great. Still very good. Wonderful milk chocolate starts things off, which moves quickly into roasted malts which disolve into oatmeal rawness. The front is smooth like a coffee/milk stout, the back is rough like an oatmeal stout. Both are good, but the front is much nicer than the back, and the two sides are too much of a juxtaposition to really work. Still, it tastes pretty friggin good.

Where this brew really stands out is the creamy mouthfeel. It's just perfectly smooth--there's no other way to describe it. That smoothness works to perfection with sweetness, but doesn't work quite as well with bitterness.

4.3/5  rDev +5.1%

What a fantastic brew.

Pours a deep black (not quite pitch) with a thick (if not very substantial) head. Looks gorgeous, just loses a point for the underwhelming head (which also appears a little light in color).

Smells like toasted malt and coffee roast and dark chocolate. A delicate and superb balance

A swallow brings the coffee to the fore, and then chocolate, the malt is clearly and afterthought, and if there's any hops at all they're not coming out, although the finish is clean. There's just enough of that oat-y sweetness to give some body and character to this. I love it.

I waited a few days before cracking this growler, and I'm sure that a fresh pint would inch things up here. If this were even remotely available to me in the NE where I am or Cali where I'm going this would be a staple.

3.65/5  rDev -10.8%

Served on tap - nitro (16oz glass, $3.75) at the Town Hall Brewery Minneapolis, Mn. Pours with one finger tan head that goes slowly leaving a good lace. Black color. Light carbonation and full bodied. Hints of coffee and smoky nose. Starts balanced and very smooth, finish has some roasted/burnt coffee flavor. The ABV is 6.0%.

4.04/5  rDev -1.2%

a big thanks to a person in Minneapolis, Minnesota for this growler of beer. had this earlier this month. poured a dark brown to black with a nice sized tan head. aroma, roasted malts, caramel, chocolate, dark cherries a nice sweetness just lingers over the top of the glass. flavor the sweetness is just right for me , got chocolate covered cherries, malts, a touch of vanilla. mouthfeel was a little on the thin side that just made it a very easy drinking beer I just kept filling my glass I think I drank 3/4 of the growler in a very short period time (like 45 min.)

4.1/5  rDev +0.2%

pours an opaque black colour with a deep tan head. the head is very fine and forms a thin layer on top of the beer.

the aroma is malty, roasty, and a bit of sweetness. maybe just a hint of sourness too.

taste is roasty and slightly smokey with a great malt background and moderate bitterness level. the malt character almost reminds me of rye bread. really nice. there's some definite residual sweetness, but not to the level of being sticky or cloying.

the mouthfeel is big, which i'd expect from an oatmeal stout, and has a nice smoothness from the oats.

drinkability is good, but it's a big enough beer that you're not going to have more than a pint. that's fine with me and seems correct for the style.

3.75/5  rDev -8.3%

Appearance: Very dark brown, near black with a thick tan head on top.

Smell: Roasty with some burnt sourness and a touch of chocolate.

Taste: The flavor opens with a burst of sweet roasted flavors. A touch of espresso but mostly bittersweet chocolate and toastiness. Some mild, sandy hop flavors back back up the toasty sweetness. The sweet ending has a bit of brown sugar.

Mouthfeel: Sticky, grainy and thick. Nice full body but a bit too grainy.

Drinkability: Nice toasted and rich flavors. Texture could use some work but all around a tasty beer that I'd have again.

4.45/5  rDev +8.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a growler

A—dark brownish black, espresso like. Very little head on any of the pints I poured from this growler, but the lacing was decent

S—strong coffee, with mild oat and chocolate scents

T—very strong coffee with some burnt taste as well, nice balance of malt and oat flavors, a bit of a dark chocolate taste as well. Yum!

M—creamy and a bit slimy, very thick and robust

D—A great oatmeal stout, finished the 4 pint growler in one sitting and was still not full ( but very tipsy as I hadn’t eaten since lunch). Could have drank this all night. A great winter brew!

4.32/5  rDev +5.6%

I'm an oatmeal stout fan, and this made me happy to have TH in my area. I'll be stopping by for a growler of this soon.

Is almost totally black in appearance with a thinish head and lacing that is not super. Generally, it looks like an espresso, which is what it should look like.

The smell was pure ambrosia. The strong coffee and chocolate notes are so rich. I could have wafted this beer for an hour.

The taste is like a cafe mocha with malty overtones... taste and smell are very similar.

A little thinner than maybe a stout should be, but all in all very silky on the tongue. I cant wait to try it on cask.

This beer could end up being my winter beer for a good long while.

4.55/5  rDev +11.2%

On tap pours an onyx hue with solid khaki headcap.

Deep aroma despite being hidden by a thick coating. Bold toasted malt and baked cake.

First swigs: Toasted and roasted grain with raisins and figs and buscuit. Endless flavors of maple syrup and pecan. Lingering aftertaste of cocoa.

Feel is smooth and milky slick half 'n half.

Last swigs: THis was so good that I had to debate taking back a growler of this and Masala Mama but I opted for two Masala Mama growlers.

3.98/5  rDev -2.7%

This beer poured a dark black that let through some burgundy light. Its head looked like creamy hot chocolate and left minimal lacing. Smells like espresso, and lots of chocolate with a slight sourness. Tastes like sour blueberries, black liquorish and coffee. Mouth feel is very smooth and a little on the flat side.

Black H2O Oatmeal Stout from Minneapolis Town Hall Brewery