Hans Dippel Tripel - Great Waters Brewing

No picture uploaded.

Great Waters Brewing visit their website
Minnesota, United States

Tripel |  9.50% ABV

(Beer added by: WilliamD on 03-13-2009)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters
Reviews by WilliamD:
WilliamD

4.1/5  rDev +1.2%

Consumed as a generous sample in a short glass. Clear amber-yellow with a small cream-colored head.
Smell of fresh fruit is right up front- particularly bananas. Some pear and orange. Very refreshing and enticing.
Taste was nice- again, a strong banana presence, slight alcohol presence as well.
Mouthfeel was smooth and fresh.
Drinkability is hard to gauge in the relatively small amount that was consumed, but it gave me every impression that it was a quite drinkable beer, given its ABV. After having two full pints of a couple other beers, and having a drive home ahead of me, common sense dictated I hold off on a full sampling of this one.
I am, however, planning a return in the near future in hopes of picking up a growler of this one.
Great all around beer, in my opinion.

03-13-2009 01:19:13 | More by WilliamD
tavernjef

4.08/5  rDev +0.7%

Fresh growler - have had this a number of times at the pub, so a growler was finally in order...

Pale medium golden pumpkin color, very clear, no real head present nor tried to. Perhaps the growler doesn't do the carbonation any justice, but from what I recall at the pub it never had a foam on it either? No real lacing either to note.

Aroma is nice however, quite wafty and alluringly deep and bready, candy sweet with fruity notions abound to its overall nature. A nice blend of candied banana, pear, yellow raisin, and apricot make up a bready sweet and fresh nose.

Taste is a solid supply of the same, eager with a sweetened breadyness mixing well with the noted aromas of the fruity stuff found within. Candyish with that certain yeasty quality the Great Waters uses for alot of the Belgian styles that keeps a slight candied grain and sugared bread hint the whole way though. Finish is a bit light and doesn't maintain a bigger Tripels charcater.

Feel is smooth and fairly creamy within a favorable mediumishness. Mildly sweet, candied, and slimming in with a tender chewy hint. Slight floral hints float around in the mid ranges and it finishes ever so ghostly warming with a sugared fruity sex inspired spunk. The 9.5% is barely to be found as it warms ya up slowly and hits your head a bit quicker.

I'm pretty sure that this wasn't intended as a Tripel? Most every time at the pub they've called it a Belgian Strong Pale. Which seems closer for me if being a bit more stingey on style types. A close cross breed perhaps. Anyways...its a nice beer by Great Waters!

Serving type: growler

04-04-2009 01:00:20 | More by tavernjef
maximum12

3.98/5  rDev -1.7%

Guzzled a 10 oz. tulip of this lovely brew during dinner with the neigbhors last night. Not only was the beer really good, the food was excellent as well. I hadn't been to Great Waters in more than a decade - it won't be nearly that long before I return.

As stated, a lovely brew in a stylin' glass. Smell was faintly fruity, but much lighter than I expected from a tripel, which led me to wonder if the beer was up to the task.

No worries. Light, fruity, & the sweetest beer that I have ever tasted. After just a single glass I could feel the skin in my mouth trying to crawl away from gums. Luckily I'm a sweethead, so no problem there, except for the damage done to my gums (hell, that'll heal).

For almost 10% ABV, easy to drink. I could see sipping this one on the porch, or out of a growler, the entire night, except I'd have to brush my teeth every hour to keep my dentist happy.

Very good beer. I'm eager to go back & try some more of the lineup.

04-03-2009 20:37:47 | More by maximum12
Hans Dippel Tripel from Great Waters Brewing
- out of 100 based on 3 ratings.