Skull Splitter - Orkney Brewery

Skull SplitterSkull Splitter

Orkney Brewery visit their website
United Kingdom (Scotland)

Scotch Ale / Wee Heavy |  8.50% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 10-08-1998)
View: Beers (10) |  Events
Reviews by instrumentality:
instrumentality

3.85/5  rDev -5.6%

I picked this brew up at Vin de Pays liquor store in Long Beach, an establishment for which I gain new respect from one trip to the next. They have a relatively small selection of fantastic brews, but that selection rotates periodically, so the key is to stagger your visits enough where you'll be able to try something new each time you visit.

I'm at a point in my relative newness to the BA world (about 8 months) where I have become a huge fan of scotch ales, but only a couple have really impressed me. My favorite so far is Founders Dirty Bastard, which I had from the bottle after I had already thrown back a few, so I don't know that my senses were totally up to speed. I also greatly enjoyed Alesmith's Wee Heavy on tap, but again, I had already thrown back nine tasters before I took this one on, so I may be a bit biased. Out of the bottle it was still enjoyable, but not nearly as good. Moylan's Kiltlifter was drinkable but nothing special, and McEwan's Scotch Ale I could pretty well do without.

I've heard good things about the SkullSplitter, and with a little encouragement from BA's seagoat and TheLongBeachBum, I had to grab a sample.

Poured into my Stone Russian Imperial Stout tulip glass (like everything else these days), this brew emerged a rich, opaque mahogany with about a finger of off-white head that quickly settled to a very thin lace with a thin halo of foam clinging to the glass. A quick swirl revived the head slightly before it dissolved back into a halo.

The odor wasn't as potent as some others of the style. There was a small trace of burnt malt that is one of the main draws of a good scotch ale for me, along with the faint emanation of toffee and caramel, but nothing too potent. A good smell, but I would have liked for it to have a bit more strength to it.

The flavor was definitely more interesting, although still not what I'd call the definitive scotch ale. It started off with an intense burning sensation from the alcohol, followed by a burnt maltiness mixed with an intriguing flavor that seemed to evolve from sweet to mildly bitter, first caramel, then toffee, then roasted coffee beans. The finish felt slightly chalky and tasted burnt and subtly sweet, almost like peeling off the charred skin of a roasted marshmallow and letting it dissolve in my mouth.

As I delved deeper into my glass, the sweetness seemed to become more prevalent, almost cloying, like a red wine that's gone a bit beyond its peak.

Maybe it's sacrilege for me to say I enjoy scotch ales made in the U.S. more than scotch ales made in Scotland, but so far, that seems to be the trend. This beer definitely blows out McEwan's, upstages Moylan's Kiltlifter, and has a bit more bite to it than Alesmith's Wee Heavy, but for me, Founders Dirty Bastard really raised the bar (I wish I could find it out here) and this one, which definitely tasty, has some noticeable flaws. I see enough potential, however, where I may have to pick up one or two more and let them age for some time and see if I have better luck.

12-23-2006 08:30:37 | More by instrumentality

tillmac62

South Carolina

4.45/5  rDev +9.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

BBE April 16. Pours a clear amber with a deep dark ruby hue. Good head with limited lacing and retention. Nose of dark fruit (figs, dates), and caramel over a scotch like alcohol background. Full bodied with a rich and creamy texture. Low carbonation level. Tremendous flavor profile that is complex and balanced. It begins with a scotch like note that flows into the dark fruits. In the middle caramel is predominate as the scotch fades. The finish hints of the previous dark fruits and caramel which fade into a nice alcohol tingle that lingers. An Outstanding Wee Heavy that is alcohol focused.

07-07-2014 18:54:11 | More by tillmac62

Romania

07-05-2014 15:13:45 | More by Marius
BastardKing24

Oregon

I am kinda drunk while posting this, but I think I am sober enough to review, hahaha. Anyways, I bought this without knowing it was a scotish wee heavy. Had to look it up in here.

Pours a dark amber or brown color, with a slight white head that leaves a ring.

Smell is of an authentic Wee heavy. dark malt and caramel, with that ever present yeast tone that is very unique.

Taste is the same with a good bite in terms of smokiness and maltiness. This beer gives off a prune/raisin quality that puts it up against the big boys, like Traquair house, or Kilt lifter.

Feel is right on par, nuf said.

Overall I think this is a nice example for the style, as it has zero off flavors and a nice punch in the way of flavor and alc. Worth the buy if you can find. 4.0 across the board.

07-05-2014 02:07:04 | More by BastardKing24