2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Skull Splitter - Orkney Brewery

Skull SplitterSkull Splitter

Orkney Brewery visit their website
United Kingdom (Scotland)

Scotch Ale / Wee Heavy |  8.50% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 10-08-1998)
View: Beers (10) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Skull Splitter Alström Bros
Ratings: 1,595 | Reviews: 908 | Show All Ratings:
dcmchew

Romania

4.63/5  rDev +13.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Pours dark brown/copper, almost no fizz, small head, nice retention.
Smells of caramel, light chocolate, dark fruit, berries, red grapes, vanilla and light nuts.
Taste is really complex. Expected a big chocolate malty front, but instead it was really really fruity. Initial figs and plums, followed by tart red cherries, red apples, musty red grapes and quite a lot of citrus. Malts follows in the back, with not as much caramel, but with some mild roastiness and low dark chocolate notes. Not as spicy as expected either, the vanilla from the smell hiding way in the back. Nuts are clearer though, along with some earthy notes. Hop presence is nice and bitter in the finish, with a green-leafy feel.
The beer is almost creamy, with a very low carbonation that helps the booze mingle with the fruitiness, giving off a taste of brandy/cognac.
A perfect scotch ale that doesn't exaggerate with the malts and instead really focuses on the balance between alcohol and rich fruitiness. Really great.

12-19-2013 17:26:15 | More by dcmchew
appleby9

3.88/5  rDev -4.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

I really looked forward to trying Skull Splitter as I really enjoy Scotch Ales. It had a wonderful appearance in my crystal beer mug with a beautiful tan head over a beautiful brownish nutty appearance. It tasted very good with fruity undertones, it could have used a little more bitter for my tastes as something seemed missing. It was a very good beer that I would buy again though.

12-16-2013 01:05:29 | More by appleby9
JamieDuncan

Maryland

4.79/5  rDev +17.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Doing a full review of one of my favorite beers and a regular in my rotation. Excellent looking beer that smells great. I tend to like a murkier beer but still tasty looking. Wonderful taste, one of the best scottish ales out there. Wonderful, easy to drink for the alcohol content. This is a must try.

12-08-2013 03:23:18 | More by JamieDuncan
MaximalC

3.66/5  rDev -10.3%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Pours a murky brown color with burnt orange highlights--rather akin to dirty pond water--with a modest head of beige foam that soon settles into a veil of frogspawn. Active carbonation can be observed streaming to the surface. Aroma smells of caramel, molasses, grape skin, and a mild, vague spiciness.

The flavor tastes of muscato and caramel on the front end, followed by a dash of peppery hops and booze. There's also a layer of golden delicious apple akin to what one might find in a Munich-style lager. I'm not quite sure what to make of it, as the melange is highly unusual, but not as messy as it sounds on paper. It's safe to say that "complex" would be an apt descriptor. It delivers a fruity tartness to the back of the tongue that I rather enjoy, though I would never have expected to find it in a Scotch ale. The alcohol, while present in the taste, is more subdued than its ABV would suggest and serves to bolster the spicier aspects while tempering the sweetness. The mouthfeel is smooth and semi-creamy, though I could do with a bit more body from a beer this flavorful and complex.

On the whole, Skull Splitter is a chimaera, a complex and fascinating brew that makes me reconsider what I thought I knew about Scotch ales. It's sweet, fruity, warm, light, and spicy to varying degrees at varying moments, but always engaging. In spite of it's initially confounding originality, renewed acquaintance reveals it to be an enjoyable adventure for your taste buds that ceases much sooner than one might expect for a beer of its gravity.

11-25-2013 02:33:51 | More by MaximalC
don1481

Wisconsin

4.56/5  rDev +11.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Serving: Pour an 11.2 oz bottle into a pint glass.

Appearance: Deep reddish-brown. Small amount of foam lingers.

Smell: Fruity, toffee, boozy. Caramel notes, too. Smells inviting.

Taste: ... different than what I was expecting from the smell. I really don't taste the booze. It's quite a bit sweeter than I would have anticipated, even after reading the bottle's flavor description. The "complex" descriptor on the bottle is very appropriate here - I definitely get some molasses here. Fruit notes. Definitely warming. Mmm.

Mouthfeel: Soft. Not an abrasive boozy or syrupy feel at all. Satiny.

Overall: Yes, I think I will be picking this up quite regularly for now on when I want to go with something that I know is going to be REALLY good yet unique. AND - as a bonus - reasonably priced for a 4 pack!

10-28-2013 00:07:09 | More by don1481
Ryan_Graham

Iowa

3.76/5  rDev -7.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

This beer smells a lot like wine. It gives off a strong fruity aroma. The taste reminds me of apples or grapes. It's a little boozy, the alcohol taste could be covered up a little better. The aftertaste is OK. It finishes a lot like wine, with a light bubbly burn on the tongue. It's not bad but I don't think I'm going to buy it again.

10-22-2013 01:53:29 | More by Ryan_Graham
cherche

Washington

4.18/5  rDev +2.5%

330ml bottle into glass

dark red/brownish color

strong, bold, smell - very malty and boozy but in a pleasing way

warm, malty flavor

smooth but heavy mouthfeel

overall a very good beer - loved having with my dinner on a chilly fall evening, would definitely have again. would suggest for anyone who likes dark, complex, flavorful beers.

10-21-2013 18:21:48 | More by cherche
pourmeadrink

3.2/5  rDev -21.6%

When I first poured the Skull Splitter into my glass it was a very pleasing dark maple color. It felt perfect for fall and the changing leaves outside. There was minimal head, and what head there was dissipated quickly. There was a visible bubbling like a sparkling ale that remained.

The sniff test told me that right away this was a strong brew. The forefront of everything was that burning alcohol smell - like nail polish remover but more pleasant. Once that got past my nose, the next thing I noted was a toasty smell. It was something nutty or caramel-y. Almost a warm fresh toffee smell to the beer.

In the mouth, the beer felt sticky. Not in an unpleasant way, but the liquid seemed to linger a bit after I swallowed, There was that bite of alcohol right away, but that dissolved into an almost effervescent feel.

Overall, this beer is one to sip on around a fire with your sweetie, I feel. It is warming and toasted, which bring on memories of mild fall days raking leaves. The caramel and toffee notes actually stuck around on the pallet for a really smooth after taste, which I much appreciated. The beer itself was much lighter than i expected it to be.

10-16-2013 17:06:56 | More by pourmeadrink
doktorhops

4.63/5  rDev +13.5%

With a name like "Skull Splitter" implying that either I will go out and split some skulls or this brew will give me a skull splitting hangover tomorrow, how could I say 'no' to drinking this beer? I can't, the urge to split skulls or to suffer a terrible hangover is too unbearable to miss. And with that your humble reviewer purchased a bottle of this fine Scottish brew.

Poured from a 330ml bottle into a nonic pint.

A: With a deep clear mahogany body and a light tan lacing this magnificent hangover-waiting-to-happen presents itself well.

S: There is a boozy brandy note that dominates the aroma which also contains; caramel malts, candied plum and hint of herbal hops in the distant background.

T: Smooth luscious flavours of brandy, malt, dark fruits and that faint herbal hop note combine in a dangerously sublime fashion. Not too sugary, not too boozy and not too malty - I want to drink this until I get that skull splitting hangover. There is nothing bad about the flavour balance, everything works, the planets have aligned, and I am in Beervana.

M: Smooth but heavy bodied, with some slick resin characters and a light carbonation.

D: Really, really impressed by this wee heavy. It's not a style I've had much experience with but it's something I will partake in more often now. This style seems to encapsulate the essence of Belgian brewing with the flavours of England/Scotland. And might I add I am feeling a little bit toasted now, that pleasant warm feeling you get from a glass of whiskey that tells me that my digestive system is breaking down the ethanol into acetaldehyde, and I'm going along for that ride. Skull Splitter I salute thee!

Food match: Roasted chicken with a side of roasted vegetables or roasted turkey, this is a beer that suits a festive occasion.

09-22-2013 09:42:10 | More by doktorhops
SmashPants

4.24/5  rDev +3.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Bottle: standard brown 330mL bottle. Great beer name, great label to boot.

Appearance: pours a deep, hazy amber-red, with a fantastically thick tan brown head. The head slowly drops to a one-finger rocky cap with good lacing.

Aroma: an interesting aroma of fortified fruits - dates and figs - with some ripe orchard fruits and spices.

Taste: some heavier toffee and molasses flavours come through strongly, with those heavy fruits found on the nose. Some smokey characters come through too. Nice.

Aftertaste: all flavours carry through nicely. Lingers well - a nice slow sipper if you want.

Mouth feel: quite a heavy body, which is to be expected. A moderate carbonation carries the flavour across well. Dry on the finish. Nice.

Overall: definitely worth the while, but surely only one every now and then, or a 4-pack at most (at the price of AU$140+ per case of 24 x 330mL). A great Scottish Ale led by some flavoursome malt and toffee instead of being overly hopped. Works well.

09-16-2013 09:32:48 | More by SmashPants
draheim

Washington

3.94/5  rDev -3.4%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

330mL into a tulip. Pours a murky mahogany brown w/ a 1-finger head that dissipates to a thin layer of seafoam, minimal lace.

Aroma is minerally, bready and spicy. Brown sugar, clove and dried fruits.

Taste is malty and spicy. Caramel, molasses, toffee, brown sugar, fruit. Lots going on here. Reminds me vaguely of Rochefort 10 or other BSDAs/quads.

Mouthfeel is clean and crisp, yet full-bodied. Bright carbonation tickles the palate. Probably my favorite aspect of the beer.

Overall a very nice beer that I seem to enjoy more with each sip.

09-04-2013 03:55:19 | More by draheim
guityler83

Wisconsin

3.96/5  rDev -2.9%

A: Finger and a half tall large bubble head the color of cream or a off white egg shells. It sustained quite well before falling into the murkey dark brown, hazelnut colored beer.

S: Very pronounced dark fruits, plums, raisins, prunes and sweet red grapes. No noticable hop aroma and a nutty like aroma that might be coming from yeast esters or from the malts.

T: The flavor is very similar to the nose on this one, no surprises. Plums and dark candy sugar with prunes and toffee along with a smokey character. All of these come out even more as the beer warms up. It is a little on the sweet side as expected for the style but there is enough bitterness to keep it from being cloying.

M: Large amount of body and a low to medium amount of carbonation. I actually think the carbonation is a little to high on this one but i'm splitting hairs.

O: A flavorful, robust scotch ale thats not too sweet and has a rad name. Yeehaw.

08-26-2013 01:51:04 | More by guityler83
RickS95

Indiana

4.43/5  rDev +8.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

First off, I found this beer in the back of my fridge. I had a previous bottle too many years ago to remember, long before I joined this site, so I have no idea if it's any good or not. But, I'm praying that at 8.5% ABV, it ages well.

It's kind of strange looking. It's very clear, though the pour is a dark mahogany/red color and is full of particulates suspended in the beer. There's no head to speak of although there are some random bubbles around the edges up top.

The scent is what you'd imagine from a Wee Heavy named Skull Splitter. It's all malt. Alcohol dominates. Dark ripe fruits, figs, dates and raisins are plentiful. Maybe some cinnamon, possibly some chocolate. With a second pour after a first sip, caramel malts really shine, I would imagine since the beer has warmed for a few minutes.

The taste is extraordinary, and far better than I remember, and probably because it's aged and my palate is a bit more mature. Everything from the smell is there. Large quantities of malt, caramel, dark fruits are all prevalent. It's slightly Scotchish in taste, but over time has developed a Belgian quality. It's really good and the alcohol has been tamed from what I remember.

it's sweet at the front of the tongue, but not too much so. In midsip it evolves into more tart as there may be some pear in there, before eventually turning faintly hot, slightly bitter, and somewhat carbonated. It's medium to full bodied and leaves your palate clean with its crisp finish.

Much better than the one I had a decade ago. Still a sipper, but it comes in a small European bottle so it won't do too much damage. Tastes nothing like other Scotch ales I've had, presents more like a Belgian, and that's a good thing.

08-01-2013 03:16:30 | More by RickS95
katybee

Oregon

2.88/5  rDev -29.4%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

pours transparent brown amber, highly carbonated, but the 1/2" head very quickly dissipates leaving only a trace of lacing.

the smell is not hoppy at all, clearly leaning toward a biscuit malt or perhaps fig-like, but with a slight metallic note which put me off immediately.

the mouthfeel was slightly creamy and smooth- the one good point. But the beer was too thin-bodied overall.

taste was slightly carmel and sweet, but the fruity overtones were a little funky or metallic, and I detected no pronounced flavorful spiceyness.

very little complexity to hide the immediate head rush. the beer lived up to its name "skull splitter" and I could sense the headache to come almost immediately. This is not a 'sipping' beer... It's more like a whiskey blend. Straight and to the point; hangover to follow...

will pass it by next time, despite the intrigue of the Orkney isles and the cute term "wee heavy"... I'd compare this to a Belgian tripel.

07-11-2013 07:21:12 | More by katybee
hackmann

4.06/5  rDev -0.5%

Appearance: amber-brown body; somewhat cloudy or murky; one finger light tan head; some lacing

Aroma: Rich caramel malts and grains; dark fruits – fig like

Flavors: Rich malts, toasted grains, molasses, candied dark fruits

Mouthfeel: mild carbonation, smooth feel,

To the Point: this is the only Skull Splitter I have had … I would like to try it again.

06-26-2013 04:33:19 | More by hackmann
BlurryVisi0n

3.85/5  rDev -5.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Served in a tulip.

Appearance: A clear dark amber color with medium bubbles on the body, head is off white rising to roughly just over a finger's length...thick at first with quick settling.

Smell: Pretty strong wine barrel smell before I could take a sniff from the glass. Very appetizing scent.

Taste: I was expecting a little more but it more bland instead of potent. You can tell it's a scotch ale right from the beginning but has that alcohol feel with rum like taste to it. Not much else, lacking any complexity.

Mouth: Medium bodied at best, might come off flat to some people, personally what I like about it is how well the after taste sticks to you.

Overall: Good beer but not the best scotch ale you will have, could definitely use a lot of tweaking. I love scotch ales to death but this one itself being from Scotland, could take some pointers off it's American counterpart. Salud!

06-23-2013 21:01:11 | More by BlurryVisi0n
Beer-A-Lot

A big, malty beer, with lots of caramel and sweetness. Very different from the other Scotch Ales I've had--a bit more in your faces. And why not considering the name? But still, while others are a bit more subtle, this provides a bold taste keeps you enticed and wanting more. Very tasty and glad I tried this.

06-19-2013 01:51:22 | More by Beer-A-Lot
mick303

Ontario (Canada)

3.88/5  rDev -4.9%

On cask at the brewery.
A - dark chestnut brown, a good sticky tan soapy head, good lacing, dark thick body.

S - dark toffee maltiness, sticky toffee pudding, red fruits with cherries, nice rich caramel, molasses, rich and vanilla toffee, some coffee, a bit of a sourness and cloying aspect.

T - cherry syrupiness, sweet caramel start, tons of malty sweetness then drying alcohol spice, some herbs and nice dry mildly hoppy finish. Brown sugar, and sticky coffee, but a lot of sweetness allround. Long lingering finish.Complexity is good but the sweetness dominates too much.

M - big, malty body, yet a light fruity element, coating caramel feel. A coating toffee sweet feel, the carbonation is really slight a bit of soft refreshing crispness and the alcohol is not present at all.

Found this overly sweet with tons of caramel brown sugar dextrose but still some nice hop character coming through. It holds the alcohol strength really well but I was expecting a bit more from this, tasty and full bodied though, I have a bottle so will have to do a reappraisal soon. On the second time I still find the caramel and slight boozey sweetness to be a bit overbearing, it does have a lot of complexity and is a very good beer but Im left wanting more bitterness and crispness on the end feel.

Serving type: cask

06-18-2013 20:15:16 | More by mick303
StonedTrippin

Colorado

3.94/5  rDev -3.4%

in many ways the quintessential scotch ale, although not my favorite one out there. it pours a syrupy dark bock color, dense, with a small off white head showing very little carbonation. the nose is peaty but not smoky like some tend to be. its alcohol is obvious, and its sweet grain is saturated with a toasted aroma and a very earthy vibe. no hops to speak of. the taste is like birch syrup or something lighter and a little less sweet than maple. the texture is like that too. earthy, right from the soil sort of autumn compost heaviness really challenges me in warmer weather, but I am imagining a cold snowy night in front of a fire, a much more enjoyable setting for this brew. I love the grain features, complex and rich. the feels is odd, but I like it. its thick, almost sticky in my mouth, lacking carbonation. American scotch ales have bastardized this intentional weight with high carbonation gimmicks and lighter grain bills, but this feels more authentic, although very heavy and hard to drink a whole bottle. it improves as it warms, and just takes me to the dead of winter. its a nice beer, but not the first scotch ale I would reach for, even though its authenticity is appreciated.

06-15-2013 14:54:07 | More by StonedTrippin
Sunnanek

Sweden

4.13/5  rDev +1.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.25

A: Clear copper pour with a tall tan head, very compact. Slow dissipation leaves rich lacings.

S: Sour and tart. Cherry kernel bitterness. Very rich and sweet maltyness - molasess. Dark dried fruits.

T: Rich sweet malt, caramell. Molasses. A bit sour. Dark dried fruits. Very complex. Some alcohol.

M: Full thick body and low carbonation makes this a very smooth beer. Aftertaste is rather short and very sweet.

O: A nice and complex Wee Heavy. The high ABV adds to the complexity.

06-12-2013 19:02:41 | More by Sunnanek
bigbelcher

Arizona

4.43/5  rDev +8.6%

Great full bodied Scotch Ale, travels well from Scotland because of the high alcohol. Deep rich color with some red hues. Malty, sweet and strong. Very satisfying. Pairs well with a good steak. No hop aroma or flavor but there really shouldnt be ny in this beer. If you are looking for a smokey scotch ale well then this isn't it. It is clean and refreshing.

05-26-2013 19:40:08 | More by bigbelcher
SpruceMoose

4.86/5  rDev +19.1%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

It's going to be extremely hard for me to not be ridiculously biased in this review. I love, love, love my scotch ales and I especially love Skull Splitter. It's my bloody avatar, for god's sake. However, after trying several other scotch ales, I decided to return to the good old Orkney brew and compare it to others I've enjoyed in the past couple of months. Almost nothing has changed (what a surprise, he lied).

Serving Type: 330ml bottle poured into a Duvel tulip glass.

Appearance: An aggressive pour leaves a dark-brown opaque body with a thick white head. Bewdeful.

Smell: Chicory, caramel, toffee, plum, apricot and wood(?) dominate the nostrils, with some subtle booziness unraveling itself as smelling persists. It literally begs for me to take that first, prolonged sip. Oh, temptress!

Taste: Wham! There's so much going on here that it's hard to isolate the flavours. Fruitiness, nuttiness, bitterness, sourness...it's all here. Wrapped up in a neat little bow (or glass?) for you to enjoy.

Mouthfeel: Surprisingly light for a scotch ale, but not to the point where it comes off as watery and plain. The body is definitely there, but it takes a few sips to truly embrace the intensity of this ale. The taste throws the first punch, and the developing body is the knockout hit.

Overall: There's a reason I hold Skull Splitter above the many other scotch ales I've had, and that's because I'm biased. But why, you scream and point accusingly? Because it's simply everything you'd want in a beer of its kind (strong caramelised taste, decent strength, consistent body) plus more. Open a bottle, take a sip and split your skull. Split it beyond the point of repair. You won't regret it.

05-26-2013 13:37:13 | More by SpruceMoose
thecheapies

4.2/5  rDev +2.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Dark rusty mahogany with a satiny tan head. Very deep and murky. Etches a few thin lace rings.

Malty dark fruits (plum, raisin, and fig), an exotic yeast with complexity, and robust grain roastiness. Notes of leather and vanilla. Exquisite.

More caramelized dark fruits. Lots of date and fig, but still with malty and savory elements of a Wee Heavy, proper. Plum, leather, tobacco, fig, vinous tones, blackberry, meaty malts, and herbal phenolics. Almost reminiscent of a Belgian Quad. Alcohol is soft and rosy. Some tannic bitterness and a strange presence of earthy aged hops. Hints of spiciness toward the late-middle.

Wooly body with some girth. Still, rather soft, with some thinning alcohol. Carbonation is gentle, but pleasingly so. Nice feel for a big beer.

One of my favorite Scotch Ales. Highly recommended.

05-20-2013 21:11:48 | More by thecheapies
MistahBeah

4.45/5  rDev +9.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Appearance: Amber brown. Small head. Little carbonation. Some lacing

Aroma: Dried fruits, toffee, caramel, some alcohol

Taste: Sweet almost port wine quality. Alcohol all around. Raisins, caramel, roasted barley, slight oakiness

Mouthfeel: A tad chewy. No carbonation to speak of. Dry

Overall: Great for the style. Certainly worth getting again

05-12-2013 02:47:48 | More by MistahBeah
stckhndlr

3.7/5  rDev -9.3%

A- a dark cloudy brown with red hues to it. About a finger of creamy head the thins out quickly.

S- Dark fruit notes, figs, and the faint pierce of the alcohol. 8.5% is well hidden. Not overwhelming. As it warms the raisin/fig notes become more dominant as well as the alcohol. Almost reminds me of a barrel aged whiskey with spice.

T- The 8.5% is definitely there. Hits you right off the bat. The dark fruits are next mixing in an earthy peat flavor with a slight bitterness coming in on the finish. Very complex.

M- Creamy medium body.

O- The initial notes and flavors of this one are good. The only thing that didn't sit well was the aftertaste it left. Kind of a bitter alcohol woody taste that just didn't work. The rest of it was delicious.

05-06-2013 23:56:33 | More by stckhndlr