Bamberg Rauchbier - Saugatuck Brewing Company

Saugatuck Brewing Company visit their website

Rauchbier |  5.20% ABV

Beer added by: mcallister on 02-27-2007

4.42/5  rDev n/a

A: Bamberg Rauchbier is copper in color, sports a beautiful off-white froth, and is ever so slightly hazy.

S: caramel, bread, and bacon combine to deliver a delightful nose.

T: the base is malty sweet, but not cloying, complemented by notes of caramel, biscuit, and smoke. I would put the smoke at 6, with Schlenkerla Urbock being the 10 on my scale.

M: medium body, but clean, leaving no thick residue on the mouth. Carbonation is moderate, but appropriately so.

D: I'm happy to see such a small brewery putting out such a delightfully to-style adaptation of the Rauchbier. I picked this up for $3 at The Hop Cat, and couldn't be more pleased with my decision. (666 characters)

4.42/5  rDev n/a

I am writing this review from notes that were taken sometime back. I will try to do this one justice. It is a shame that nobody else has reviewed this one.

Appearance - Dark brown with a tan-ish head. Good appearance, but nothing remarkable.

Smell - Smoked meats, specifically bacon. Amazing! It smelled like a glass of liquid bacon! I wish I could describe what hops were involved, but the smokey meats overwhelmed me.

Taste - Deep smokey and malty. It might be my imagination, but it may have had a bit of maple or brown sugar sweetness. Again...liquid bacon. The flavor stays with you for quite awhile. Make sure you have this as later beer or have a palate cleanser after.

Mouthfeel - Low carbonation. Coated the mouth and lingering. I don't have anything but my memory to go on here.

Drinkability - This was a delicious beer and I hope to enjoy it again someday. Sadly, I don't see myself having more than one or two in a sitting. It would be far to rich for this. Overall, if you are in the area this little unassuming brewpub is well worth the stop. (1,061 characters)

Bamberg Rauchbier from Saugatuck Brewing Company
- out of 100 based on 2 ratings.