Pier Cove Porter - Saugatuck Brewing Company

Pier Cove PorterPier Cove Porter

Saugatuck Brewing Company visit their website

American Porter |  6.00% ABV

(Beer added by: BierFan on 01-30-2010)
1.53/5  rDev -54.5%

Presentation: 12 oz. bottle into a nonic. Thanks to beveritt's for procuring this.

A- Dark brown and essentially opaque. Pours with a massive explosion of light brown, slow to fade head, necessitating a prolonged, multi-stage pour....not a good start here.

S- Heavily metallic. Hints of a funky, sourness sneak past the metal. A feint wisp of malty sweetness is detected....not getting too excited about that first sip.

T- Disgusting, metallic, tongue coating bitterness is my reward for drawing from my glass. Some roasty notes...

M- Very high carbonation.

D- Terrible. Unable to finish even one...

Future outlook: An extremely poor effort here. Ranks alongside of the worst beers I've sampled to date in my many years on this earth. Not impressed with the other Saugatuck brew I tried either....probably a pass on anything of their's in the future, let alone this disgraceful metal-bomb.

1.65/5  rDev -50.9%

During a typical tilted glass pour into a pint glass, I noticed that this beer didn't just have a head, it had massive amounts of foam. So much so, in fact, that only about 4 oz. were in the glass before the head overflowed the glass on a very slow pour. This beer would be overly carbonated if it were soda pop.

T - Metallic and impalatable.

A - Once the foam disipated (20 minutes later) the color was a dark chocolate and looked good for a porter.

S - Malty and carbonated (that's the best way I can describe it)

D - Avoid at all costs. This beer is not even worth a try to see what it's like. I am dead set against dumping beer but this six pack will become drain fodder, unfortunately.

I was dissapointed in this beer as I never want to see an unsatisfactory beer from a microbrewery. I will try other beers from Saugatuck brewing even though I wouldn't recommend the Pier Cove Porter to anyone.

1.9/5  rDev -43.5%

$1.79 for a 12oz bottle @ BevCo. Opens with a very brisk PSssht. Foam all over the place. Way to overcarbonated, gusher. Despite a careful pour, I get 3/4 of a glass of foam. ~4.5 carbs or so. The nose has a touch of that metallic kiwi fruit smell of an infection, otherwise some cocoa and that's about it in the nose. Something is wrong here. Mouthfeel explodes like champagne and is a little tart with a medium body. In spite of the infection, I can taste cocoa, some light molasses, some chocolate malt...the backbone of what could be a good beer. Bitterness is mild with some herbal hops in the finish (willamette?). Letting it sit out until the carbonation has mellowed makes for a drinkable beer. It's not a drain pour, but it will be in a few weeks.

Well, obviously this one has problems. The only other brew I've had from these guys was the Neopolitan milk stout which was OK, but also not infected.

Thanks for sharing this excellent tick, Bobby.

A: The beer pours a dark brown with some reddish highlights. On top sits a massive khaki head, filling much of the glass.

S: Things are not off to a good start. There is a weird fruitiness, I would say blueberry. Quite acidic with a mild red wine vinegar note to it. Still plenty of roasted malt, though.

T: The flavor is harsh. Very acidic with quite a bit of vinegar. There are also some cherries and blueberries to it. Lots of roasted malt along with seltzer water and green apple.

M: Light to medium in body with a very high carbonation.

O: Obviously some rogue microbes have made a home in this beer. Not enjoyable.

2.35/5  rDev -30.1%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 1 | overall: 2.5

Presentation: Poured from a 12 oz brown bottle into a standard pint glass. Picked this up on a trip to Michigan. Label is dark in overall appearance and has a drawing if a pier extending out into Lake Michigan. No freshness date.

Appearance: After only a split second of pouring, the head on this extends to the top of glass, forcing me to stop pouring. This finally settles, allowing me to restart the pour, but this is definitely a sneak it down the side of the glass type beer. When all is said and down, I cam still left with a huge, pillowy light tan head. The beer itself is an extremely dark mahogany; dark enough to be opaque in the middle of the glass.

Smell: Slightly tangy, soured aroma upfront with undertones of roasted barley and chocolate malt. Slight metallic bite.

Taste: Mild roasted barley bitterness upfront, but fairly watered down. Overly roasted astringency lingers throughout. Slight hint of baker's cocoa.

Mouthfeel: Extremely overcarbonated, not just for this style , but for just about any beer. Their remains way too much dissolved CO2, such that as soon as you take a drink, it comes out of solution and ruins the mouthfeel.

Drinkability: Well, this one was a hot mess. About the only factors it got right were the color and some barley. Pass.

2.65/5  rDev -21.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

22oz bomber from Tiffany's in Kalamazoo. I figured I'd take a shot on a $5.99 bomber from a brewery I've never trued. Bad idea, no clue if this was old stock, but it something must be amiss here.

Pour made a nice 2 finger head that dissipated into a nice white ring over the black body.

Smell is caramel, chocolate, and some bitterness.

Taste is where this takes a dive. There's a decent chocolate malt porter at first but a tart acrid taste takes over. Not an infection as much as just a disgusting mesh flavors. Not good.

Mouthfeel is too prickly carbed and very light. Not good.

Drinkability is sub-par. I'm struggling here just to drink enough to properly rate this.

Didn't have high hopes, but this didn't live up to even the experience I wanted - just to try a new beer from a new brewery. The rest of the bomber is going down the drain.

2.73/5  rDev -18.8%

12 oz bottle poured into a pint glass.

The beer pours a really nice dark brown to black, but has the most outrageous head that has ever existed. Once the head settles into a thick layer of sandy brown foam the beer looks delightful, but there is just far too much head from the pour...and I gave an extremely gentle pour.

Aroma is somewhat sour and rather metallic. There is some roasted malt also noticeable and perhaps grapes.

It takes a second for the flavor to arrive, but I get some roasted malt with grapes. It makes for an interesting flavor. Leaves a sour aftertaste.

Medium body with loads of carbonation.

Rather disappointing. Not one I shall be having again.

2.75/5  rDev -18.2%

Poured from a 12 ounce bottle into a tulip glass.

Appearance: Holy foam, Batman! Beer-to-head ratio is somewhere around 1:8, even on a truly gentle pour. Hmm...well, head dimples down around the edges in an entertaining fashion, giving me time to enjoy the beautiful ochre styrofoam-like wispy lacing on the edges of the glass. Beer itself is opaque-brown, with yellowish tints in the narrowest parts of the glass.

Smell: Sour, as in the scent of fermenting, rotting grapes. Some lemon flavor as well as a slightly off-putting alcoholic contingency. Not Saugatuck's finest hour.

Taste/Mouthfeel: Beer hits the tongue tartly. The malt is sweet and caramelly, and combined with the plum-type fruit sweetness and some citrus tang, it's not a bad brew. A little on the sweet'n'sour side for a porter (in my opinion), but I assume some of that comes from whatever type of barrel it was aged in.

Overall: Looks a lot better than it smells, and the taste falls somewhere between those categories. Won't buy this again (not my bag) but I'm not hatin' on the SBC. A decent beer, and most certainly worth a try.

2.78/5  rDev -17.3%

I got a bottle of Pier Cove Porter last week for $1.49 at The Lager Mill. I had a couple of different beers from Saugatuck at The World Expo of Beer in Frankenmuth. All the beers I had from them were pretty impressive but I didn't get to try any of their flagship beers so when I saw a single on the shelf I figured I would give it a try. No visible bottling date. Poured from a brown 12oz bottle into a imperial pint glass.

A- The label doesn't look too bad, it's got a cool picture of a boathouse on the bottom half of the label. It poured a very deep dark brown color that was pretty close to being black and it had some nice ruby highlights when held to the light. It had three fingers worth of fluffy tan head that died down to a thick layer that stayed the rest of the time and it left some nice spotty lacing.

S- The aroma starts off with some roasted malts that smell a little sweet. There is a slight chocolate aroma along with a very slight smoked peat smell. There was also a slight metallic aroma that I could have done without. The aroma is a little lighter then I would like.

T- The taste has all the roasted malts that I picked up in the aroma along with a light smokey peat flavors that was very subtle but added a nice complexity to this beer. The yeast in this beer seems a little weird, its adds a really slight fruit tartness to this beer that seemed out of place. The finish was chocolaty and roasty with hardly any bitterness and it had that unnecessary metallic taste at the end that I could have gone without.

M- Smooth and medium bodied, I would have liked it to a be a little thicker, it seemed a little watery to me. The carbonation was a little heavy but wasn't too bad.

Overall I thought this was a pretty average porter that seemed to stick out from all the other porters, but for all the wrong reasons. As far as aroma and taste went, I felt the roast was were it should be, but as a whole the aroma and flavor seemed to be much more subdued then most porters, and the metallic aspect and the weird flavor from the yeast just didn't seem right for this style. It went down smooth but the flaws prevent me from wanting another. I wouldn't buy this beer again when there are so many other good porter readily available to me. I don't think I would recommend this beer to people, the off flavors don't represent the style that well. I was really impressed with Saugatuck's more daring beers but so far their year round offerings have been disappointing, but I am still willing to try some more from this brewery. This beer would need a lot of work to be able to hang with the better porters.

2.93/5  rDev -12.8%

The head on this beer was huge during the pour it took me awhile to get it into the glass. There was nothing that I really loved about this beer and I consider it about average for a Robust Porter. I wish there was some more malt flavors with this beer than what I primarily experienced...the roastiness. Also, this beer was so highly carbonated it made it very dry and probably affected the perceived bitterness. The head on this beer was very long lasting and laced along the glass (in a frosted pattern). OK beer but I won't get it again.

a: Very dark, almost black. Poured a huge head that took awhile to get down. Head is tan and pillowly with waves.

s: Slight roast malt aroma mixed in with more of a pronounced chocolate and nut aroma, with a touch of bread and toffee, as I smell more of it. The hop aroma is spicy in nature. Clean.

t: Roast flavor upfront followed by some sweetness. Slight alcohol notes. Moderately high bitterness. Not detecting much of any hop flavor. Quite a punch of roast and bitterness with this one. Finish is dry. No diacetyl. Slight fruity esters

m: Body is moderate and HIGHLY carbonated. Very slight astringency from the roasted grains.

12oz bottle into a mug.

a - pours dark brown with a huge, 3 finger, tan head. excellent retention and leaves thick chunks of lace.

s - milk chocolate and raisin.

t - roasted malt, cola, some dark fruity notes. light bitterness to balance the malt.

m - thin with too much carbonation.

o - decent, but there are much better examples of the style. probably wouldn't buy this again.

Pier Cove Porter from Saugatuck Brewing Company