Neapolitan Milk Stout - Saugatuck Brewing Company

Saugatuck Brewing Company visit their website

Milk / Sweet Stout |  6.00% ABV

Beer added by: Jips on 07-03-2011

3.85/5  rDev -2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.7/5  rDev -5.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

The beer gets silky as it warms

3.82/5  rDev -2.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.75

Balanced coffee, chocolate and raspberry. Only tasted on tap. Small brewery. Great effort.

3.89/5  rDev -1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Bottle dated 9/30/14:
Pours quite dark, with an ok head, which fades to minimal rim lacing. There is a hint of lacing here and there. The nose is a bit chocolately, with a hint of fruitiness, berry in nature. I get some smokiness when its (too) cold. My GF says she loves the smell, so maybe I'm missing something tonight.

The taste starts with a bit chocolate, and is very smooth from the get go. The berry (I get raspberry more than strawberry) comes through next, adding a tartness to the taste. This taste never takes over the beer, but comes close. If I search, I can sense some vanilla as the berry flavor fades, but more I like the smooth feel at that point. The "smokey" notes I get in the smell might be the bitter tastes I get in the end, which are a bit green wood in nature.

Overall, the more the beer warms, the more I enjoy it, and the feel becomes silkier. An interesting beer you should definitely try once for yourself (warm).

4.47/5  rDev +13.7%

4.09/5  rDev +4.1%

3.74/5  rDev -4.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

3.25/5  rDev -17.3%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3

I like this beer and it does taste like Neapolitan ice cream, but artificial flavor and color added? Really? This is supposed to be craft beer, not soda or candy. Scores would be way higher if they could make this naturally.

4.12/5  rDev +4.8%

4.18/5  rDev +6.4%

4.06/5  rDev +3.3%

4.29/5  rDev +9.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

4.6/5  rDev +17%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

4.19/5  rDev +6.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Great aroma. Must drink at 45-50 degrees in order to pull out the strawberry and vanilla flavors.

4.09/5  rDev +4.1%

Bottle to snifter

A - Off color head nice lacing, dark black beer

S - Strawberry, vanilla, toasted

T - sweetness to start then some bittersweet chocolate and roasty coffee nice berry finish

M - Silky smooth.creamy. Medium body. Lower carb

O - a great dessert beer,prob couldn't have more than 1 in a sitting.

3.92/5  rDev -0.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

3.31/5  rDev -15.8%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

Pours a deep-ruby red in color -- black to the eye, and topped with a decent enough lookin' medium-to-darkish tan head. Good lacing, good head retention.

BUT THAT NOSE! ZOMG, dood! It smells like an ice cream truck filled with Twizzlers overturned after hittin' a dairy cow! Even though I avoid chick flicks, am not lactose intolerant in the least, but this will still be brutal goin' down.

First sip and BAM! Over-powering sweetness and confectioners sugar, fake-ass strawberry jam and weird, citrus off-notes all bombarding my puny mortal palate. Even the aromas are there in the nasal passages, sawing and hacking at what was left of my finely-tuned nose. As far as sampling goes for tonight, this is a "one and done" affair.

Underneath the strawberriness there's the lactose sugar, sure enough, so it is on style to that degree. There's something like a silky-smooth texture as well, also par for the course for your run of the mill milk stout when properly executed. Top marks for that, alone.

No real vanilla goin' on (probably a good thing...) and chocolate notes are minimal, aside from some traditional (porter) roast character.

There's some bitterness to counterbalance the sweetness, but not too much.

"Natural and artificial flavors. Caramel colors added." - UH OH! Don't look now, but the 'Food Babe' is 'bout ready to pitch a fit! But aside from her (or anyone with lactose issues -- don't go near this, please) I believe that this would make for a most excellent 'chick beer', my brothers and sisters. So when you are curled up on the couch watching "Mean Girls" for the fifteenth time with your newest Millennial sweetie, you might want to slip her a couple of these, if ya know what I mean. And you enjoy yo' 40 and 420. Ahem.

Overall this is well-done for what it is, but it just ain't my bag, baby.

Pretty fresh (12/01/14 if I'm reading the second line of the code correctly.)

3.62/5  rDev -7.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

3.98/5  rDev +1.3%

I purchased a 4 pack of this on kind of a whim, after drinking it, I am glad I did!

Poured into a shaker, the beer is a dark brown bordering a black. There is a decent tan head.

The aroma is of roasted malts, dark fruit, coco and a bit of strawberry.

The taste leads with toasty malts & a bit of chocolate. There are some vanilla notes and the strawberry is really only noticeable in the finish. I’m impressed that they were able to get all the elements of a Neapolitan in a beer.

The mouth is fine and a touch coating.

I can see having one of these every so often as a nice alternative to a desert.

3.89/5  rDev -1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

3.71/5  rDev -5.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

4.13/5  rDev +5.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

What a nice surprise this is. I'm not the biggest fan of stouts, but my buddy brought some of this down from Michigan (in a 12oz bottle), and so we had second dessert after the dirt cake.

It's relatively light, in taste and body (I have no idea how to rate "look"--it looks like stout, duh). Not a lot of head. Anyway, yes--I thought the label (which is gorgeously retro) and the name were a joke, but no, it really does taste and smell like Neapolitan. It has a chocolatey-strawberryy taste and a feel in the mouth of dairy/vanilla, and it is fun, really fun to drink. I don't think I've ever had a Milk Stout before, and I suppose I expected something stronger and heavier, but this was fine and I would certainly drink it again.

3.79/5  rDev -3.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Neapolitan Milk Stout from Saugatuck Brewing Company