Delilah DeWylde-Berry Wheat - Saugatuck Brewing Company

No picture uploaded.

Saugatuck Brewing Company visit their website

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  5.00% ABV

Availability: Spring

(Beer added by: GRPunk on 04-15-2012)
Reviews by pb9613:
pb9613

1.38/5  rDev -52.6%

Appearance – This beer pours an pale straw yellow color with a light white head. The head is taking over the glass with a head twice as tall as the beer in the bottom of the glass.

Smell – The beer smells like cheap cough syrup where the pharmacist adds his own flavoring.

Taste – Taste like a Bud Light with a little medicinal after tase.

Mouthfeel – I have had Kool Aid with more body that this one.

Overall – I hated reviewing this beer since I love their Singapore IPA and also because Delilah DeWylde and the Lost Boys are great local artists but they deserve a better beer named after them. Bud Light Lime is a better beer than this work of art (or lack there of). Don’t waste your time on this one and don't judge the rest of their beers on this lame duck.

02-19-2013 01:27:34 | More by pb9613
zonker17

10-05-2012 00:11:57 | More by zonker17
emerge077

2.55/5  rDev -12.4%

Label printed "121030 572" on the top right, if this means "10-30-12" it's pretty fresh, and a brand new arrival to the Chicago market. If that's the expiration, it's a week past, and might explain a few things. "Ale brewed with artificial flavor" ...whee.

Pours a pale yellow orange, murky once the yeast is poured in. Excessive foam after three pours, uh oh. Tightly beaded white foam billows up to the rim and threatens to spill over. Craggy peaks on the surface akin to Duvel or Jolly Pumpkin. Copious lace in the glass coating the walls. Lasting coverage.

Smells like "artificial berry" alright, berry blue, purple stuff, you know the type... raspberry/cherry lifesaver kind of thing.

Very astringent taste, bitter and dry, tart verging on sour. An artificially fruit flavored beer doesn't have tannins from natural fruit... so that's not really an accurate descriptor here. Something vegetal and green in the aftertaste. An infection seems to be taking hold, though not yet in full swing. Wasn't expecting much from this beer, but at the very least I was hoping it would be drinkable. No such luck.

The irony of an infected beer's label that reads "Release your rockin' wild side..." wasn't lost on me.

11-10-2012 18:25:22 | More by emerge077
DMarlinJ

3.5/5  rDev +20.3%

07-05-2012 15:49:23 | More by DMarlinJ
StoutHunter

3.2/5  rDev +10%

I picked up a bottle of Saugatuck's Delilah DeWylde-Berry Wheat the other day for $1.59 at The Lager Mill. Saw this new offering from Saugatuck on the shelf and since I'm always down to try a new beer from them I decided to give it a shot, so lets see how it goes. No visible bottling date. Poured from a brown 12oz bottle into a tulip.

A- I'm not familiar with the artist that is on the label or that the beer is named after but it's nice and well done. It poured a hazy straw yellow color that took on a brighter golden color when held to the light and it had three fingers worth of fluffy white head that died down to a thin layer that stayed till the end and left some nice sticky lacing. This is a good looking beer, I have no complaints.

S- Raspberry is the first thing that I pick up in this beer it's pretty dominating and has a sweet aroma to it that's similar to raspberry jam. After that I get some malty and light wheat aromas along with some straw, hay, and very slight barnyard funk aroma that gives this beer a Saison like aromas. The aroma is OK but the high sweetness and the tons of raspberry's make it smells similar to the red chapstick, OK but a little to artificial smelling.

T- The taste really isn't that similar to the aroma. It starts off with a much lighter amount of raspberry's then the aroma lead me to believe but at least they don't taste too artificial. After that I get tons of malts and wheat that have a lower amount of sweetness and are followed by a weird yeast flavor that I haven't experienced before, king of tart and slightly funky, almost like a Saison yeast. There is an unwanted bitterness that is right around medium and it's present throughout the taste, it seems out of place. I wasn't too impressed with the taste, it just didn't come together that well.

M- Not too smooth, a little crisp, slightly creamy, on the light side of being medium bodied, with a higher amount of carbonation. Not too bad, but I wish it was smoother.

Overall I wasn't impressed with this beer and I though that this was a pretty average example of a Fruit Beer, the fruit wasn't highlighted like it should be and there were many other flaws. This beer isn't that drinkable, it's not smooth and the flavors just don't keep me interested, one is all I would want. What I liked most about this beer was it's appearance, it looked pretty good in my tulip and the head had good retention and lacing. What I liked least about this beer was the flavor, it was pretty bland, and the bitterness throughout the taste was a turn off. I wouldn't buy this beer again, there are many other Fruit beers that I would much rather have, I don't recommend this beer. Saugatuck is a pretty good Brewery, but this beer falls short of the quality that I'm used to seeing in their beers, a rare miss from this brewery, better luck next time, this beer needs some work. So far this is my least favorite beer from them, it just didn't do it for me.

05-16-2012 03:44:32 | More by StoutHunter

Drk93TT

06-20-2012 23:32:49 | More by Drk93TT
TMoney2591

2.25/5  rDev -22.7%

Served in a Lagunitas mason jar.

Finishing up a cluster of Saugatuck brews with this one, hoping for a change of fortune (for the better, o' course). This stuff pours a--damn, this be one fizzy bitch, right here! About 80% of my jar here is filled with light cream-white foam, whilst a small bit of straw lurks beneath. Once things have settled, the nose staunchly supports naught but artificial, partially medicinal berry. Dassit. The taste follows with a heightened sense of medicinality, crashing through the wall toward aspirin and cough syrup. Add to this a bit of funky wheat, and you've got some decent Blecch on yer hands, son. The body is a light medium, with a light moderate carbonation and a slick feel. Overall, a pretty sad little beer. Were I Ms. DeWylde, I'd prolly want my name off this label...

11-21-2012 03:31:27 | More by TMoney2591
tophers

3.2/5  rDev +10%

Picked this single up the other day. I thought the Amber ESB was awesome so I figured I would try another one of their beers. Looked at the bottle a little more closely and it says "artificial flavor" - would not have bought that had I seen that. Anyways...

Thick white head with straw color. Thought it would be a little darker for a wheat but it wasn't. Very clear.

Very berry aroma which smells of strawberry and blueberries. Bit of a peach too. Not much else going one besides that.

The berry flavor continued into the flavor and is predominate. I would say it is more of a raspberry flavor.

Quite dry throughout...picked up some tannin's too which may be adding to the dryness.

I'm sure some people would really like this beer. Not my favorite. While fruity - it doesn't taste natural.

09-11-2012 00:17:10 | More by tophers
GRPunk

3.6/5  rDev +23.7%

Bottle poured into a Pils glass.

A- A normal pour created a pillowy, 2-finger head with murky yeast clinging about. This was all atop a cloudy, straw body with heavy, though delicate, carbonation. Great sustain on the head at 1-finger, leaving wonderful webbing on the glass.

S- Lots of raspberry as soon as you pop the cap. Very sweet while hinting at a lighter, tart side. Almost pop/soda-like. I notice "ale brewed with artificial flavor," reinforcing the notion of pop. Come on now, we can do better than that.

T- quite interesting. Some berry, sweet and tart. Good mix of wheaty malts. Interesting, yeasty funk. Almost sour, in a good way. Not what I expected from aroma.

M- Nice and creamy/chewy as I'd expect from a wheat beer.

O- I went in without any expectations. The pour and aroma suggested a "gateway" wheat along the lines of SA Cherry Wheat. Much more interesting than that. I'd like to know what the "artificial" is all about. I'm hoping for something minimal and obscure that required the labeling. I like to think a fine MI brewery could do its fruit flavors on the up and up.

Pretty cool logo. Rock-a-billy connection makes me want to check out this local artist.

04-15-2012 21:06:17 | More by GRPunk
akttr

05-17-2012 03:21:25 | More by akttr
Slay40

2.5/5  rDev -14.1%

05-20-2013 00:56:08 | More by Slay40
birchstick

Colorado

Described on the label as a raspberry wheat. Picked up a bottle at the brewery -> fridge -> glass.

A - pours a clear, filtered straw yellow color with an average head, but a nice white ring forms around the edges of the glass

S - nose is tons of berries, mostly raspberry as advertised

T - starts off with, who would have guessed, lots of raspberries. These pretty much dominate the beer, albeit they slightly yield to some wheat malts and citrus notes about half way down. Finishes a little sour, tart and dry.

M - full bodied and smooth, no complaints here

D - this beer reminded me a lot of Leinenkugel's Berry Weiss beer, which I don't think is a complement. However, it is fruity and light enough to not be unpleasant or grossly over berried. Not bad, but I think this brewery offers much better beers than this one.

08-27-2012 02:17:56 | More by birchstick
hackmann

On the bottle: ‘A crisp and refreshing raspberry wheat.’ In smaller font at the bottom of the label: ‘Ale brewed with artificial flavor.’

Berry flavors in beer are not one of my favorite things. They can be too sweet, too medicinal, just plain strange tasting and once in a blue moon done right. One that I can think of was a cherry flavor from Bell’s.

Appearance: glowing golden wheat (cloudy) with a 2 finger creamy white head that will not leave, it still has a one finger head and I poured this 15 minutes ago. Tons of lacing clings to the glass. On the last four ounces left in the glass and there is a half a finger head still floating atop the beverage. The appearance is beautiful.

Aroma: medicinal berry smell; it is hard for to get past the medicinal note to notice anything else. The ‘medicinal’ note is not strong so I’ll call it faint and it does not linger. The nose is not appealing overall. I am really not ready for this now. I wish the wheat came through.

Flavors: there is a raspberry like note, it is a little medicinal tasting but not really bad – which also means not really good; the wheat flavor is pleasing

Mouthfeel: smooth, crisp, fairly clean mouthfeel, low carbonation, a berry-wheat twang on the aftertaste; no medicinal notes; actually not bad on the mouthfeel

To the Point: for a fruit beer it’s not bad, I pour out most that I try on the grass or pass them off to the wife – I did finish this one. I would not buy one. I would drink another one on a hot summer day if someone else was buying. Average at best, to me, because of the slight medicinal note.

05-28-2013 17:53:11 | More by hackmann