Continuum IPA - Saugatuck Brewing Company

Continuum IPAContinuum IPA

Saugatuck Brewing Company visit their website

Availability: Spring

(Beer added by: StoutHunter on 05-28-2012)
3.65/5  rDev -4.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I got a bottle of Saugatuck's Continuum IPA yesterday for $2.29 at The Lager Mill. Missed out on this at WEB, so I am excited to try this, lets see how it goes. No visible bottling date, it's fresh, just released. Poured from a brown 12oz bottle into a tulip.

A- The label says it's from the Brewer's Reserve Series, a little plain but I like the font. It poured a nice amber color that took on a nice a brighter color when held to the light and was pretty hazy, it had two fingers worth of white head that died down to a thin layer that left lacing rings. This is a very good looking beer, I really like the color.

S- The aroma is dominated by hops, I get lots of nice citrus notes mainly pineapple and grapefruit, there's also a floral and light pine aromas. I get a bit of some bready and pale malt aromas, but not much. This is DIPA has a good aroma that's dominate by hops.

T- The taste is a little similar to the aroma, tons of hops show up at the start with more piney and floral hops showing up with not much citrus, Towards the end I get some some medium sweet pale malts that impart some bready flavors and it had a high amount of bitterness with a piney, floral and bitter aftertaste, not boozy. The taste is ok, but I wish more of the citrus fruits showed up and the bitterness wasn't so powerful.

M- Not that smooth, slightly oily, on the thick side of being medium bodied, with a medium amount of carbonation. Ok, but I wish it was smoother.

Overall I thought this was an ok, beer and a pretty average example of the style. It wasn't that drinkable, one bottle is enough for me. What I liked most about this beer was the look and aroma, they were both nice. What I liked least about this beer was the overpowering bitterness and the hop profile in the taste, more is not always better. I don't think I would buy this again, but I recommend DIPA fans give it a try. In the end this beer was just a little better then OK, but with a little work I think it could be a pretty good beer, but I get what they were going for it just didn't come together the greatest.

StoutHunter, May 28, 2012
2.75/5  rDev -28.2%

spycow, Oct 10, 2014
3.25/5  rDev -15.1%

twkirkby, Oct 08, 2014
3.5/5  rDev -8.6%

Dhamma73, Oct 03, 2014
3.5/5  rDev -8.6%

Pours a nice orange color with a light beige , fluffy head.

No over powering aroma detectable, just kinda a little , lighter hop aroma.

Hop bitterness up front , tasty , not overly hoppy, malty , I was expecting a big hop bash, maybe some outstanding hop flavor, continually hopped I guess I expected a lot more from the hop,profile, and 110 ibu's? maybe not-so-much, Hop Stoopid I think is 105, and I def get that.

I would'nt buy this again, but with that being said, I will not dump the rest, might throw one in a trade, if I do it soon enough.

stouts4me, Oct 03, 2014

ChrisMon02, Sep 14, 2014
3.8/5  rDev -0.8%

Eddyfunt, Sep 06, 2014
4.25/5  rDev +11%

Pale orange to amber pour with two finger white head. Medium lacing. Citrus and pine forward with a slight floral nose at the end. Nice and dry

VipertheIV, Sep 03, 2014
3.25/5  rDev -15.1%

thinwhiteduke, Sep 01, 2014
4.3/5  rDev +12.3%

I wrote a great freakin review of this wonderful super bitter aipa, one of my recent favorites. Unfortunately, the horrible BA redesign lost my work.

Let's just say its bitter and thick and pretty in the glass with a robust, profound aroma. Everything an over the top aipa should be.

In not happy to have to rewrite the review (it was nothing like this), but I want to make sure this excellent brew gets my hearty endorsement.

schoolboy, Aug 31, 2014