Continuum IPA - Saugatuck Brewing Company

Continuum IPAContinuum IPA

Saugatuck Brewing Company visit their website

Availability: Spring

(Beer added by: StoutHunter on 05-28-2012)
Reviews by Skater_Rich:

Skater_Rich, Oct 22, 2013
3.65/5  rDev -4.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I got a bottle of Saugatuck's Continuum IPA yesterday for $2.29 at The Lager Mill. Missed out on this at WEB, so I am excited to try this, lets see how it goes. No visible bottling date, it's fresh, just released. Poured from a brown 12oz bottle into a tulip.

A- The label says it's from the Brewer's Reserve Series, a little plain but I like the font. It poured a nice amber color that took on a nice a brighter color when held to the light and was pretty hazy, it had two fingers worth of white head that died down to a thin layer that left lacing rings. This is a very good looking beer, I really like the color.

S- The aroma is dominated by hops, I get lots of nice citrus notes mainly pineapple and grapefruit, there's also a floral and light pine aromas. I get a bit of some bready and pale malt aromas, but not much. This is DIPA has a good aroma that's dominate by hops.

T- The taste is a little similar to the aroma, tons of hops show up at the start with more piney and floral hops showing up with not much citrus, Towards the end I get some some medium sweet pale malts that impart some bready flavors and it had a high amount of bitterness with a piney, floral and bitter aftertaste, not boozy. The taste is ok, but I wish more of the citrus fruits showed up and the bitterness wasn't so powerful.

M- Not that smooth, slightly oily, on the thick side of being medium bodied, with a medium amount of carbonation. Ok, but I wish it was smoother.

Overall I thought this was an ok, beer and a pretty average example of the style. It wasn't that drinkable, one bottle is enough for me. What I liked most about this beer was the look and aroma, they were both nice. What I liked least about this beer was the overpowering bitterness and the hop profile in the taste, more is not always better. I don't think I would buy this again, but I recommend DIPA fans give it a try. In the end this beer was just a little better then OK, but with a little work I think it could be a pretty good beer, but I get what they were going for it just didn't come together the greatest.

StoutHunter, May 28, 2012

Kerry1, Aug 06, 2014
4.25/5  rDev +11%

Pale orange to amber pour with two finger white head. Medium lacing. Citrus and pine forward with a slight floral nose at the end. Nice and dry

VipertheIV, Sep 03, 2014

Zaphog, Nov 29, 2013

Jakethesnake503, Aug 04, 2014

ssimpson89, Jun 24, 2012
2.9/5  rDev -24.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

A - Pours a copperish-gold with a two finger off-white head. Left a good amount of lacing.

S - A huge malt bill up front, followed by some lemon and orange.

T - Pineapple and juicy apple at first, followed by some maltiness. A bit on the bitter side and it tastes kind of flat.

M - Heavy bodied with light to medium carbonation.

O - Overall, reminded me of a slightly better Hop Rocket. I don't think I'd have it again.

SometimesIfart, Mar 16, 2013

Hopheadjeffery, Jul 20, 2014
3.5/5  rDev -8.6%

Pours a nice orange color with a light beige , fluffy head.

No over powering aroma detectable, just kinda a little , lighter hop aroma.

Hop bitterness up front , tasty , not overly hoppy, malty , I was expecting a big hop bash, maybe some outstanding hop flavor, continually hopped I guess I expected a lot more from the hop,profile, and 110 ibu's? maybe not-so-much, Hop Stoopid I think is 105, and I def get that.

I would'nt buy this again, but with that being said, I will not dump the rest, might throw one in a trade, if I do it soon enough.

stouts4me, Oct 03, 2014

BeerGreg, Aug 01, 2014

Bettyloug, Jul 29, 2013

FirstBrewsoon, Nov 27, 2013

Sparty55, Apr 10, 2014
4.03/5  rDev +5.2%

Poured from the bottle a cloudy and bright apricot color with a good amount of floaties. One finger of off-white head left sticky lacing behind.

Aroma of tropical fruit, pine, and baby aspirin along with a hint od caramel malts.

The taste was bright with the pine and citrus followed by a caramel malt backbone. Bitter bite to the finish.

Medium bodied and lightly dry with a moderate carbonation.

I really enjoyed this IIPA from Saugatuck Brewing. Nice hop presence with good balance. A must try if given the opportunity.

Monkeyknife, Jul 10, 2012