Serrano Pepper Ale - Saugatuck Brewing Company

Serrano Pepper AleSerrano Pepper Ale

Saugatuck Brewing Company visit their website

American Amber / Red Ale |  6.70% ABV

(Beer added by: birchstick on 08-19-2012)
« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »
Reviews by kawilliams81:

4.75/5  rDev +26.3%

3.79/5  rDev +0.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

22oz bottle. Ah, Serrano peppers, my favourite homemade kung-pao ingredient, meets my favourite adult beverage. Aaaaaand, go!

This beer pours a hazy, dark bronzed amber hue, with one skinny finger of wan, bubbly, and barely foamy dirty white head, which leaves some low-lying coral reef lace around the glass as it evenly subsides.

It smells of oily, gritty, and certainly spicy green vegetal chili peppers, a bit of earthy yeast, hard to discern grainy pale and caramel malts, and a dry, unattached leafiness. The taste is once again led by a sharp, spicy, vegetal and acrid green pepper thing, which continues to easily overpower the base grainy, bready, and slightly caramelized malts, with anything else duly lost in the morass.

The carbonation is fairly intense, in a frothy and fizzy manner, with seems to only aggravate the pepper more, the body medium-light in weight, and tacitly smooth, given that you are ok with the guest ingredient's acerbity. It finishes quite dry, the malt having given up trying, while the spicy pepper quotient just keeps on traipsing along.

Well, this is exactly what it purports to be - a Serrano pepper-dosed ale, I can't front on that. All I can do is deal with the aftershocks, the detritus, and the mess that is my palate after making my way through it. Not overly spicy, but full and engaging in its spiciness, if that makes any sense.

love it

3.76/5  rDev 0%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

I picked up a bottle of Saugatuck Brewing Company's Serrano Pepper Ale last week for $2.29 at The Lager Mill. I've had this beer before, but it's been a couple years and since I spent most of the day harvesting Serrano peppers from my garden I thought this would be a fitting beer to have, so lets see how it goes. Bottled on 9/15/14. Poured from a brown 12oz bottle into a imperial pint glass.

A- The label looks good, I think it looks better than the original, it's got a nice design to it and I think it's eye catching. It poured a cloudy amber/orange color that took on a slightly more amber color when held to the light with a little over a fingers worth of creamy light tan head that died down to a thin ring that stayed till the end and it left a little bit of spotty lacing. This was a nice looking beer, but i wish it wasn't so cloudy.

S- The aroma starts off with a lower amount of sweetness with the Serrano pepper being the first to show up and it imparts a nice roasted pepper and vegetal aroma with a spicy aroma also showing. Up next comes the malts which impart a typical Red Ale flavor, but it's a little on the light side and the peppers seem to overpower the malts. This beer had a pretty nice aroma, the serrano's really stuck out, but I wish it was just a little more balanced.

T- The taste seems to be similar to the aroma and just a little more balanced, it starts off with a lower amount of sweetness with the red ale base being the first to show up and it imparts some typical malty red ale like flavors with just a little bit of doughy yeast coming through in the background. Up next comes the serrano's which are still the aspect that sticks out the most and it imparts lots of roasted hot peppers and a somewhat light vegetal flavor along with some heat that was just on the slightly lighter side of medium and it imparted a light burn in the back of my throat that wasn't too overpowering for me. On the finish there's pretty much no bitterness with some serrano peppers and vegetal flavors with some lingering heat showing up in the aftertaste. This was a pretty nice tasting beer that lived up to it's name, but the Amber Ale base wasn't that noticeable.

M- A little smooth, a little spicy, crisp, fairly dry, medium bodied with a medium amount of carbonation. This beer had a good mouthfeel that worked well with it.

Overall I thought this was a pretty nice beer, as for an Amber Ale I wouldn't say it's a great example, but for a pepper/spiced beer it's pretty good and it does a good job at showcasing the Serrano Peppers. This beer didn't have the best drinkability, it was a little smooth, a little spicy, crisp, fairly dry, not too filling and the taste did a nice job at holding my attention, but I know the heat would start to wear on me so one would be my limit and I think half the bottle would be the perfect amount for me. What I liked the most about this beer was the serrano pepper flavor, it was very nice and just what I expect from that type of pepper, it was spicy, but it wasn't too hot. What I liked the least about this beer was the balance, I wish the Amber Ale base stuck out a little more. I would buy this beer again, but only once in a while since it isn't the type of beer that I would drink often. I would recommend this to any pepper beer fan, it's got a good balance of spicy and pepper flavors. All in all I was happy with this beer and I thought it was very similar to how it was when I tried it on tap a couple years ago, but I think this one had just a little more heat than I remember. It isn't my favorite Saugatuck beer, but it is my favorite pepper beer since there's a lot of nice serrano flavors without too much overpowering heat. Good job guys, this was one nice Pepper beer, keep up the good and creative work.

2.75/5  rDev -26.9%

3.84/5  rDev +2.1%

3.25/5  rDev -13.6%

4.25/5  rDev +13%

3.2/5  rDev -14.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

Bottle poured into a pokal.

Cool label art. Southwest style typeface and a sexy she-devil looking something like a reflective mudflap adornment.

A- 1-finger, dense, khaki head. Hazy, auburn body with medium-light carbonation. Awesome lacing left on the glass.

S- Lots of Serrano at first. Maybe it's the hops (90 IBUs), but it comes out smelling like fresh salsa with hints of fresh chopped cilantro.

T- Hmmm. Lots of moderately hot Serrano peppers. Maybe a bit one-dimensional. Not bad in the least, maybe just a little plain. One of the spicier beers I've had, as the heat seems to amp up late.

M- Medium-full body and moderate carbonation. Decent "burn" from the peppers.

O- I'd categorize this as a chili beer, rather than an amber ale. The peppers take center stage and overshadow other characteristics. The chili beers I enjoy most always include some other component (chocolate, herbs, fruit). While I can give a nod to the straight forward rendition, it's not my favorite. Kind of like a band where I don't care for the style, but I know they're good at what they're doing.

3.8/5  rDev +1.1%

12 ounce bottle into tulip glass, bottled on 9/4/2014. Pours lightly hazy/cloudy orange/amber color with a 1 finger dense light khaki head with good retention, that reduces to a thin spotty lacing cap that lingers. Slight spotty lacing clings on the glass, with some light streaming carbonation. Aromas of spicy/vegetal peppers, light caramel, toasted bread, herbal, grass, and herbal/pepper earthiness. Nice and pleasant aromas with good balance of serrano pepper and moderate bready malt notes; with solid strength. Taste of spicy/vegetal peppers, light caramel, toasted bread, herbal, grass, and herbal/pepper earthiness. A fair amount of pepper spiciness and light heat on the finish; with lingering notes of spicy pepper, light caramel, toasted bread, grass, and herbal/pepper earthiness on the finish for a short bit. Very nice robustness and balance of serrano peppers and moderate bready malt flavors; with a great malt/spiciness balance and zero cloying flavors after the finish. Has a fairly dry finish as well. Medium carbonation and body; with a very smooth, crisp, and slightly chalky mouthfeel that is nice. Alcohol is well hidden with minimal warming present after the finish. Overall this is a very good pepper amber ale. All around good balance and robustness of serrano peppers and moderate bready malt flavors; and very smooth and crisp to drink with the modest pepper spicing. A nicely enjoyable offering.

« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »