Hop In Yer Rye - Saugatuck Brewing Company

Rye Beer |  8.00% ABV

Beer added by: birchstick on 08-22-2012

Reviews by Ozzylizard:
3.21/5  rDev -17.5%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

12 oz bottle $ 2.39 at lager mill
Undated bottle at 45 degrees into snifter
Aroma of citrus, mostly lemon
Head small (2 cm), off white, creamy, quickly diminishing to 3 mm ring with small islands
Lacing – poor. Rare island with small bubbles
Body medium orange, hazy
Flavor of hops and pepperiness of rye, quickly giving away to bitter aftertaste. No alcohol, no malt, no diacetyl.
Palate light to medium, watery, lively carbonation.

4.17/5  rDev +7.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Pours into a nonic an oranged tinged lighter golden with a great looking full one finger clingy white head leaves two full rings of lace as it settles into a frothy mass.A nice amount of citrusy hops to go along with the sharpness from the rye,nice fresh bursting aromas.Love the fresh citric hops flavors and even more i like the push from the sharp semi-lactic rye in the finish,a subtle but detected toastiness and mild biscuit sweetness just rounds out the palate nicely.I think this beer maybe a bit underrated I don't know,I think this beer rocks it out for the style.

4.75/5  rDev +22.1%

3.92/5  rDev +0.8%

I had this last fall on tap at their brewery and was my favorite amongst the offerings; with that being said, there were no stouts on tap-only IPAs. This rating is on the bottle which is now being distributed near me.

Deep gold with a very generous two inch stiff hop head and perpetual carbonation. Splendid spidered lacing throughout.

Sweetened malt and hop spiciness. Fruit along the lines of an apricot and citrus pith. Some pine.

Flavor is rich malt followed by hop bitterness and rye spice. A mellifluous apricot rouse and generally the bitter taste of citrus fruit. Basically follows the nose for me.

Mouthfeel is creamy with some chewability. Brashness of the hop lingers.

Overall a decent offering that just about resembles what I had on tap. Reminds me of the recent Surly Furious I've had lately, more so with the deepened malt base-more spice evident here though. You got a contender here that is not to be missed.

4.25/5  rDev +9.3%

4.09/5  rDev +5.1%

3.85/5  rDev -1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.75/5  rDev -3.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

I picked up a bottle of Saugatuck's Hop In Yer Rye a few days ago for $2.39 at The Lager Mill. I had this beer before at a beer festival last year, but I don't remember much about it and I thought I should revisit it now that's it's bottled and distributed, so lets see how it goes. No visible bottling date, but I know it's fresh. Poured from a brown 12oz bottle into a imperial pint glass.

A- The label looks alright, it's kind of a got a weird hippy vibe that you don't normally see from Saugatuck, I think it's fairly eye catching. It poured a very cloudy darker orange color that took on a brighter orange and slight ruby hue when held to the light with two and a half fingers worth of fairly creamy off white head that died down to a thin ring that stayed till the end and left some nice rings of lacing behind. I thought this was a very good looking beer and I have no complaints at all.

S- The aroma starts off with higher amount of medium sweetness followed by the malts being the first to show up and they impart a really nice blend of bready, caramel malt, slightly grainy and bread crust like aromas followed by just enough spicy rye aromas. Up next comes the hops which impart a earthy, floral, and piney aroma with the citrus fruit hops sticking out the most and it imparts a nice citrus rind aroma with some nice tropical fruit aromas in the background. I thought the aroma was very good, the malt base was really nice and the hop profile was really good.

T- The taste seems to be fairly similar to the aroma, but lighter and it starts off with a slightly higher amount of medium sweetness followed by the malts still being the first to show up and they impart all those aspects that I got in aroma, they are just lighter, but still retain that good balance of rye in it, but it's not as noticeable. Up next comes the hops but this time they seem to impart an earthy and just generic hop taste with maybe a slight bit of citrus rind, but it's barely noticeable. On the finish there's a higher amount of medium carbonation with a slightly lingering bitterness and a grainy and caramel malt like aftertaste. This was a nice tasting beer, but it really lacked the complexity that the aroma had.

M- Fairly smooth, a little creamy, a little sticky, not too crisp, on the thicker side of being medium bodied with a lower amount of medium carbonation. The mouthfeel was nice nice, but I wish it was more crisp with a little more carbonation.

Overall I thought this was a nice beer and decent example of the style, but it seemed like not all the aspects of this beer were on the same level and that seemed to hurt this beer. This beer had decent drinkability, it was fairly smooth, a little creamy, a little sticky, a little filling, and the taste didn't do the best job at holding my attention, I think one would be enough for me, i don't have the urge to drink another one. What I like the most about this beer was the appearance and aroma, they were the highlights of this beer and they were both very good. What I liked the least about this beer was the taste, it wasn't bad, but it was little disappointing after such a great aroma. I don't think I would buy this beer again, for the price I would rather have a Founder's Reds Rye. I wouldn't recommend this as a great Rye IPA. All in all I was little let down with this beer, the aroma had me thinking this was going to be better than I remember, but once I got to the taste it was much closer to my original rating. It's not my least favorite Saugatuck beer or Rye IPA. I appreciate the attempt but I think with a little more work this could be a very good beer.

3.29/5  rDev -15.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

4.03/5  rDev +3.6%

A - Pours a hazy burnt orange with a one-finger foamy white head. The head leaves a decent amount of sticky lacing.

S - Aroma is orange peel, grapefruit, caramel malts, rye, and light piney hops.

T - The taste follows the aroma. Sweet caramel malts and citrus upfront. The rye and piney hops are strong throughout producing a nice spiciness.

M - Meidum bodied with medium carbonation. The mouthfeel is smooth and creamy. Dry finish.

O - This was a pleasant suprise. The flavors are well rounded making this an above average Rye DIPA.

4.5/5  rDev +15.7%