Hop In Yer Rye - Saugatuck Brewing Company

to view more.
Ratings: 53 | Reviews: 14
Reviews by joeseppy:
3.92/5  rDev +1.8%

I had this last fall on tap at their brewery and was my favorite amongst the offerings; with that being said, there were no stouts on tap-only IPAs. This rating is on the bottle which is now being distributed near me.

Deep gold with a very generous two inch stiff hop head and perpetual carbonation. Splendid spidered lacing throughout.

Sweetened malt and hop spiciness. Fruit along the lines of an apricot and citrus pith. Some pine.

Flavor is rich malt followed by hop bitterness and rye spice. A mellifluous apricot rouse and generally the bitter taste of citrus fruit. Basically follows the nose for me.

Mouthfeel is creamy with some chewability. Brashness of the hop lingers.

Overall a decent offering that just about resembles what I had on tap. Reminds me of the recent Surly Furious I've had lately, more so with the deepened malt base-more spice evident here though. You got a contender here that is not to be missed.

4.17/5  rDev +8.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Pours into a nonic an oranged tinged lighter golden with a great looking full one finger clingy white head leaves two full rings of lace as it settles into a frothy mass.A nice amount of citrusy hops to go along with the sharpness from the rye,nice fresh bursting aromas.Love the fresh citric hops flavors and even more i like the push from the sharp semi-lactic rye in the finish,a subtle but detected toastiness and mild biscuit sweetness just rounds out the palate nicely.I think this beer maybe a bit underrated I don't know,I think this beer rocks it out for the style.

3.75/5  rDev -2.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

I picked up a bottle of Saugatuck's Hop In Yer Rye a few days ago for $2.39 at The Lager Mill. I had this beer before at a beer festival last year, but I don't remember much about it and I thought I should revisit it now that's it's bottled and distributed, so lets see how it goes. No visible bottling date, but I know it's fresh. Poured from a brown 12oz bottle into a imperial pint glass.

A- The label looks alright, it's kind of a got a weird hippy vibe that you don't normally see from Saugatuck, I think it's fairly eye catching. It poured a very cloudy darker orange color that took on a brighter orange and slight ruby hue when held to the light with two and a half fingers worth of fairly creamy off white head that died down to a thin ring that stayed till the end and left some nice rings of lacing behind. I thought this was a very good looking beer and I have no complaints at all.

S- The aroma starts off with higher amount of medium sweetness followed by the malts being the first to show up and they impart a really nice blend of bready, caramel malt, slightly grainy and bread crust like aromas followed by just enough spicy rye aromas. Up next comes the hops which impart a earthy, floral, and piney aroma with the citrus fruit hops sticking out the most and it imparts a nice citrus rind aroma with some nice tropical fruit aromas in the background. I thought the aroma was very good, the malt base was really nice and the hop profile was really good.

T- The taste seems to be fairly similar to the aroma, but lighter and it starts off with a slightly higher amount of medium sweetness followed by the malts still being the first to show up and they impart all those aspects that I got in aroma, they are just lighter, but still retain that good balance of rye in it, but it's not as noticeable. Up next comes the hops but this time they seem to impart an earthy and just generic hop taste with maybe a slight bit of citrus rind, but it's barely noticeable. On the finish there's a higher amount of medium carbonation with a slightly lingering bitterness and a grainy and caramel malt like aftertaste. This was a nice tasting beer, but it really lacked the complexity that the aroma had.

M- Fairly smooth, a little creamy, a little sticky, not too crisp, on the thicker side of being medium bodied with a lower amount of medium carbonation. The mouthfeel was nice nice, but I wish it was more crisp with a little more carbonation.

Overall I thought this was a nice beer and decent example of the style, but it seemed like not all the aspects of this beer were on the same level and that seemed to hurt this beer. This beer had decent drinkability, it was fairly smooth, a little creamy, a little sticky, a little filling, and the taste didn't do the best job at holding my attention, I think one would be enough for me, i don't have the urge to drink another one. What I like the most about this beer was the appearance and aroma, they were the highlights of this beer and they were both very good. What I liked the least about this beer was the taste, it wasn't bad, but it was little disappointing after such a great aroma. I don't think I would buy this beer again, for the price I would rather have a Founder's Reds Rye. I wouldn't recommend this as a great Rye IPA. All in all I was little let down with this beer, the aroma had me thinking this was going to be better than I remember, but once I got to the taste it was much closer to my original rating. It's not my least favorite Saugatuck beer or Rye IPA. I appreciate the attempt but I think with a little more work this could be a very good beer.

4.24/5  rDev +10.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

What a nice surprise the beer turned out to be! Had this as part of a flight last weekend and I enjoyed it so much I grabbed a 4 pack to go. This review was done at home what I had a chance to perform a taste test in a "controlled" environment.

Poured a light amber orange into a tulip glass with a one inch head from a moderately aggressive pour. Nice lacing stayed one the glass during the entire tasting.

I'm fond of IPA's and DIPA's and this rye variation fit the bill nicely. 85 IBU's delivered the appropriate amount of bitter hops. Impressive considering I am working my way through a 6 pack of Bell's Hopslam recently. Delivers a nice floral nose to please all the hopheads out there. The 8.0% ABV does not overpower this beer. Overall this is one of the better IPA's I've tried recently. Truly delicious.

4.19/5  rDev +8.8%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

We pour a brew of burnt sienna into our Great Lakes pints. It holds a hearty three finger head of creamy, crystalline, French vanilla colored cake batter. This retains very well, eventually etching a series of ridged mountains around our glasses. A thick and dirty haze reduces clarity, with finite specks of lacing suspended in its periphery. Carbonation appears to be active. The aroma gives notes of sugarplums, strawberries, red cherries, and mangos, buttery doughnut cake, bittering yet sweet rye and pale maltiness, soft tannic caramel warmth, dried manure grassiness, bitter aloe plantiness, brassy metallics, clean vanilla bean, gently sweet ethanol, and lemony, nectary, and dry herbal hoppiness. Our first impression is that the sip hangs heavy with flavoring, offering as much in the way of a grain profile as it does in the way of its hops. The taste begins with big buttery diacetyls, massive rye and caramel-toffee graininess, maraschino cherry fruitiness, coiny ale yeastiness, oily green grassiness, lime and lemon juiciness, soy sauce saltiness, plastics phenols, and cherry flesh fruitiness. Rye builds to strength through the center, with surrounding tones of walnuts and Brazil nuts, salted popcorn, brassy metallics, oily orange and lemon peel, big citric hoppiness, and granite. The end washes through with bite of piney, citric, and herbal hops, drying plastic bite, rosehip and potpourri florals, Windex, cantaloupe and kiwi fruitiness, burnt butters, sweet diacetyls, and rye and caramel malt base grit. The aftertaste breathes of dandelion leafiness, pine bark, parsley and carrot tops, bitter grassy and citric hops, coppery rye and toasted pale graininess, spiced black pepper booziness, cotton candy phenols, lemon zest, aluminum foil, and heavily nectary, herbal, and grassy hoppiness. The body is medium but chewy and oily, and the carbonation is lightly medium, but with contributable prickle to the front of the tongue, bolstering the flavor’s zestiness. The sip affords full slurp, smack, cream, froth, and pop, and fully recoats the mouth with each pull. This settles into a bubbling tannic dryness that is entirely satisfying and satiating. The abv is appropriate, but will catch up to you in the 12 oz. bottle format, as drinkability is high.

Overall, the best thing about this beer is its robustness of flavoring on that first sip. It is like meeting a close friend for the first time. You are just hit with this wave of warming happiness that you will keep thinking about them for the next few days. The grain is just all-encompassing, and heavy enough to support floral and fruity hop overtones. While these all may take a few moments to blend and hit through the taste, once they do, it becomes extremely flavorful and well balanced. The nose is just as nice, offering heavy, buttery grain against a sweeter and stickier hop profile. The feel helps things along nicely, toeing the line between gnawing and slick. As the first in this one-off release series we are thoroughly pleased, and hope that its following brethren are just as fresh, to-style, and intensely flavored as this one is.

12 ounce bottle into tulip glass; no bottle dating, but is a recent release. Pours moderate hazy/cloudy deep orange amber color with a 2 finger dense and fluffy off white head with good retention, that reduces to a small cap that lingers. Nice spotty soapy lacing clings around the glass, with a fair amount of streaming carbonation. Aromas of lemon zest, lime, orange peel, grapefruit, apricot, caramel, rye, bread, floral, grass, light pine, and floral/grassy earthiness. Very nice aromas with balanced citrus/tropical hop and rye/caramel malt notes; with good strength. Taste of big lemon zest, lime, orange peel, grapefruit, apricot, floral, grass, pine, carmel, rye, bread, and floral/grassy earthiness. Moderate grassy/pine bitterness on the finish; with lingering notes of lemon zest, lime, orange peel, grapefruit, apricot, floral, grass, pine, caramel, rye, bread, and floral/grassy earthiness on the finish for a good bit. Damn nice complexity of juicy citrus/tropical hops with moderate caramel/spicy rye malt sweetness; with a great malt/bitterness balance and zero cloying flavors after the finish. Medium carbonation and medium-full bodied; with a smooth, moderately creamy, and lightly sticky/crisp mouthfeel that is nice. Alcohol is well hidden with only a light warming present after the finish. Overall this is a damn nice rye DIPA. All around well balanced juicy hops and caramel/spicy rye malt flavors; and very smooth to sip on. A very enjoyable offering.

3.79/5  rDev -1.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

12oz bottle poured into a pint glass
A: Burnt orange color with a 1+ finger head
S: Malt, spice, caramel and a bit of citrus
T: Matches the nose. Mostly malt with a bit of spice
F: Medium-bodied, a hint sweet but a pleasant spiciness
O: Not the most complex beer around but I like it. I'd love to find it on tap to try even fresher

3.81/5  rDev -1%

In case you haven't noticed, the shadow under the dude is the state of Michigan.

Off the pour this beer looks great! Foggy brownish amber with a thick creme head. I can only assume that this is an unfiltered beer as there is goopy white sediment at the bottom of the bottle and the feel is quite thick with what feels like lingering ingredients. Flavor is rustic and thick with fruit accents. Mild spiced tones on the backed. A nice hearty beer. I like it.

4.13/5  rDev +7.3%

Could it be an American Rye Beer - a new style? It definitely was at least a little bit unique.

The look and aroma of this beer are full bodied. The taste and mouthfeel are first rate. There is a lot of bitter, but maybe not as dark as some ryes. The malt profile is high, almost like a double, but not heavy tasting at all. It's just right. The aftertaste is bitter. There is no boozy smell, but it sort of tastes boozy.

I liked this a lot, like the others I have been trying from this brewery.

4.1/5  rDev +6.5%

Had on-tap at the brewery and decided to grab a growler. Split with my brothers on the beach next to a fire while watching the sunset over lake Michigan. Vacation's rough sometimes.

A - Pours a caramelish brown amber color with a nice white, frothy head.

S - Nose consists of bitter, floral pine hops, mixed in with a nice wallop of caramel and spicy rye malts.

T - Taste starts off with citrus flavors that move back on the tongue to reveal some of the caramel malts. These move on to some bitter pine hops intertwined with a little bit of rye malts. Really solid hit on the Rye IPA style in the flavor.

M - Mouthfeel is creamy and smooth.

D - Overall, this is a a really solid rye IPA. Really enjoyed this on tap and bought a growler to take home. Wish I could have picked up some bottles to go. Recommended if you're in the area!

3.08/5  rDev -20%

Thanks to NJB145 for this bottle, one of many extras that arrived in my latest trade. First brew from Saugatuck & a rare Sunday evening brew because, well, I had the shit chewed out of me by skeeters camping this weekend & need some fluid replacement. 12 oz. bottle with art that looks like it was designed by a stoned twelve year old, it's...interesting.

Pour is sunset orange & opaque in body & soul. The nose needs gentle coaxing before it gives up anything, & what it gives is spare spiced rye & flickering pine. Aroma doesn't grow much as it warms, either.

Hop in Yer Rye comes off as an attempt at an 'imperial' rye. The mouthfeel is thicker & heavier than a 2PM yoga class. Can't slug this. Taste is more problematic, because there ain't much. The rye in the nose is muted to mild spice & more sepia tones that didn't hit the nose. Malt sweetness sweeps the mid-palate. One has to search for the camouflaged hops in the end, bit of herbs, decent pine bitterness that sticks around. If I had this to do over, I'd have split the bottle with my wife: the first half is sitting heavy in my belly.

Not a bad beer, but the heaviness of the malts (I'm assuming) to get this up in ABV seems to have dumbed down what I love 'bout a good rye beer. Decent enough.

4.06/5  rDev +5.5%

Bottling date nowhere to be found. A bit pricey at $2.69 a single, but it was recommended. Poured into a Sam Adams Perfect Pint (naturally...).

Appearance: Very hazy with some floaties going around. A burnt orange sort of color. The head is insane... three fingers of a fluffy, sand colored head with the texture of Fluff, and it seems to stick around. Clumpy lacing. Good start so far.

Smell: As advertised. Hoppy with a good amount of rye in there. A sweet, mildly fruity hop aroma with a bit of pine, and then the rye. Not a lot to say about it other than that this beer has a great aromatic.

Taste/feel: Welp, first thing I notice is a full-bodied mouthfeel. HIYR is thick and creamy (TWSS) with about a moderate carbonation. As for the flavor, almost better than the aroma. Rye all the way through mixed with piney hops and a sort of bready flavor from the malt. Really nice balance, and really not all that bitter (then again I just had a quite bitter DIPA). As it warms a bit, some nondescript fruitiness comes through with the rye and pine. Delicious beer.

The rye is clearly present in here, but it's not overbearing -- still, make no expect, this is a rye beer. The combination of rye, pine, fruit, and the great mouthfeel might make this the best rye beer I've ever had. Saugatuck underwhelmed me at first, but after having Neapolitan and then this, I have to give them some credit for brewing some very nice beers.

4.12/5  rDev +7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

I had this beer at a micro brew festival where we were using the same glass over and over, so the taste was probably skewed a little bit. The taste was a good balance between a rye beer with enough of a hoppy taste. I thought it was really good and definitely recommend it.

3.21/5  rDev -16.6%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

12 oz bottle $ 2.39 at lager mill
Undated bottle at 45 degrees into snifter
Aroma of citrus, mostly lemon
Head small (2 cm), off white, creamy, quickly diminishing to 3 mm ring with small islands
Lacing – poor. Rare island with small bubbles
Body medium orange, hazy
Flavor of hops and pepperiness of rye, quickly giving away to bitter aftertaste. No alcohol, no malt, no diacetyl.
Palate light to medium, watery, lively carbonation.

Meh.