Bonfire Brown - Saugatuck Brewing Company

Beer added by: TMoney2591 on 10-03-2012

« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »
Ratings: 145 | Reviews: 28
4.17/5  rDev +13.6%

Good amount of head settled on the beer. The beer was a mahogany slightly rubied in color. The scent was was smokey and full. The taste was extremely full of flavor and not at all overpowered by hops. The mouthfeel was complex and pleasing. Semi-dry finish.

3.78/5  rDev +3%

I picked up a bottle of Saugatuck's Bonfire Brown a couple days ago for $1.59 at The Lager Mill. This is a new fall seasonal from Saugatuck I have never tried before but I am a fan of smokey beers so I'm interested to see how it turns out, so lets see how it goes. No visible bottling date, but I'm sure it's fairly fresh. Poured from a brown 12oz bottle into an imperial pint glass.

A- The label is pretty simple, but it looks nice and clean and the custom caps is a nice addition. It poured a nice muddy dark brown color that was really hazy and it took on a slight dark ruby color when held to the light with two fingers worth of tan head that died down to a thick ring that stayed till the end and left some nice sheets of lacing. This is a very good looking beer, the color and head are both very nice, I have no complaints.

S- The aroma starts off with some nice dark malts and roasted aromas with a lower amount of medium sweetness and some nice coffee, dark chocolate, cocoa, caramel, and roasted malt aromas. Towards the end I get an earthy and slightly woody aroma with a slight bit of smoke. This beer had a nice aroma, it had some nice complexity to it and was far more roasted then I expected, I liked it.

T- The taste seems to be pretty similar to the aroma and it starts of with lots of roasted malts that have a lower amount of medium sweetness and impart lots of nice roasted flavors along with some coffee, chocolate, and caramel flavors. After that comes a slightly bitter charred flavor along with an earthy and slightly woody and smokey flavors that shows up towards the end. It had a medium amount of slightly astringent bitterness and a really roasty aftertaste that stays awhile. This was a good tasting beer, it had tons of roasted flavors but I would have like a little more smokey flavors.

M- Pretty smooth, slightly creamy, medium dry finish, on the lighter side of being medium bodied, with a slightly higher amount of medium carbonation. The mouthfeel was ok, but I would have liked it to be just a little thicker with a little less carbonation.

Overall I thought this was a good beer, to me it's much more like a Porter then a Brown Ale so I can't say it's that true to style, but I think the label could easily say Porter instead of Brown and nobody would complain. This beer had pretty good drinkability, I think two would be a good amount with this beer, after that the roasted flavors might become too much, I could for sure drink a couple of these by a Bonfire. What I like the most about this beer was how good this beer looks, from the color to the head this was one great looking beer, and the aroma was pretty nice too. What I liked the least about this beer was the mouthfeel it would be nice if it was a little thicker with a little less carbonation, I also wish their was more smoke in the aroma and flavor. I would buy this beer again, I'll be going back to grab some more to keep in the fridge during the fall, I'll buy this again next year and I recommend this to anyone who likes nice and roasty beers. All in all I was pretty satisfied with this beer, it had tons of great roasted aromas and flavors, but if it had more smokeyness to it, it would take this beer to the next level. Saugatuck does it again with a nice fall seasonal, keep up the good work guys.

3.65/5  rDev -0.5%

Served in a Bruery snifter.

These guys are a relatively new brewery to this area, and I was told there were some smoked malts included here, so why not give it a try? It pours a clear deep ruby-brown topped by finger or so of light tan foam. The nose comprises cocoa, soft coffee, darkly-toasted caramel, and a touch of earthy wood in the background. The taste holds notes of bitter coffee, cocoa, dark chocolate powder, straight charcoal, and that same woody earthiness (or earthy woodiness...it's hard to tell, really) in the background. The taste comes off as kinda muddled, with a bunch of competing toasts and chocolates and coffees that almost meld but can't quite get things completely together (think a long-lasting dysfunctional family or something). The body is a light medium, with a light moderate carbonation, a mildly creamy feel, and a sorta/kinda dry finish. Overall, a mostly solid brew, one that can easily be enjoyed, but one that gets to be a bit too much for its own good. With a little polish, this could have been close to great. As it stands, I'd drink another, but not excitedly in the slightest.

« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »