Pathfinder Pale Ale - Saugatuck Brewing Company

2.5/5  rDev -26.3%

2.75/5  rDev -18.9%

2.75/5  rDev -18.9%

2.95/5  rDev -13%

Pale, golden, light copper copper color. Quick head, very little leftover foam. Only one string of tiny, sluggish bubbles rising to the top.

Orange and earthy hop aromas with some hints of toasty malts.

Citrusy, astringent, bitterness twang hits the front and middle of the palate hard. Some toasted crcaker malts and dry gypsum palate mak up the finish. Add to that a mild, citric linger of that bitterenss twang.

3.09/5  rDev -8.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.75

Served in a Lagunitas mason jar.

I didn't know Nissan had entered into the beer business... Anyway, this stuff pours a clear brass topped by a finger of lightly off-white foam. The nose comprises grass, light biscuit, and light grapefruit peel. The taste brings in more of the same, along with a thick pall of slightly-funky lemon zest, which leaves things in a bitter bind. The body is a light medium, with a light moderate carbonation and a dry finish. Overall, an okay pale ale, but that weird citrus blast just doesn't fit and doesn't do it for me.

3.33/5  rDev -1.8%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Was the "Mystery Beer" at Green Dot Stables in Detroit, Michigan for the week of February 3rd at a price of $3 a bottle. Since I had it straight from the bottle, I can't speak for the appearance of this one...

Smell: From the get-go I can tell you that in the smell and taste this beer just had that "wet trunk" vibe, which I've had in a few beers. It's a really musky, dank aroma, and it's hard to really explain what else it smells like.

Taste: Much like the smell... almost exactly. The finish has is pleasant and not very bitter with a nice flavor of malts left on the tongue. Pretty much beginning to end though, Pathfinder has that trunk-like flavor. The feel is nice -- nicely carbonated. If this beer wasn't as carbonated as it is, I think it would get a much lower rating from me, as I think it would then just taste like trunk mildew...

An average APA. I'm absolutely glad that I tried it, but it's just a fairly weak beer. Pretty forgettable. On the other side of things, I look at it like... it's a much better APA than the crappy ones I've given low ratings to. That's why it gets the rating it gets.

3.39/5  rDev 0%

I picked up a bottle of Saugatuck's Pathfinder Pale Ale last week for $1.59 at The Lager Mill. I'm a fan of Saugatuck and I'm down to try any new beer that they decide to bottle, so lets see how it goes. No visible bottling date, but I know it's fairly fresh. Poured from a brown 12oz bottle into an imperial pint glass.

A= The label looks nice, it's simple yet good looking. It poured a nice golden yellow color that took on more of a golden hue when held to the light with two fingers worth of white head that died down to a thin ring that stayed till the end and left some nice lacing behind. This is a good looking American Pale Ale, I have no complaints.

S- The aroma starts of with a slightly higher amount of sweetness followed by a good amount of malts that impart a light toasted, grainy and very bread like aroma that reminds me of some type of sweetbread, GRPunk was on the money with Hawaiian bread. After that comes some earthy, floral and citrus like hops, the citrus hops seems to stick out the most and impart an orange like aroma. The aroma is nice and it has some nice balance to it.

T- The taste seems to be fairly similar to the aroma and it starts off with a nice amount of medium sweetness followed by loads of malts that impart a grainy and very bread like flavor that seems to dominate this beer. Up next comes the hops which seem to be on the lighter side and impart some earthy and slight citrus hop flavors with oranges still sticking out the most. On the finish there was a pretty light amount of bitterness with a very grainy and bready aftertaste. This was an average tasting American Pale Ale, the hops just didn't come through enough and it let the malts dominate the flavor of this brew.

M- Smooth, a little crisp, medium bodied with a medium amount of carbonation. The mouthfeel was good and true to style, no complaints here.

Overall I thought this was an ok beer and a pretty average example of an American Pale Ale, it was just too malty for the style and it could use some more hop flavors and a little more bitterness. This beer had ok drinkability, it was pretty smooth and wasn't filling, but the flavors just didn't hold my attention and one would be enough for me. What I liked the most about this beer was the appearance and mouthfeel, they were both good. What I liked the least about this beer was how dominate the malts were, it needed some more hops to balance out all those malts. I wouldn't buy this beer again, there's tons of Pale Ales I would much rather have and I wouldn't recommend this to my friends as a good American Pale Ale. All in all I was a little let down with this beer, I expect great things from Saugatuck and this beer came up short, I think some more hops would really help this beer. Better luck next Saugatuck, this one just wasn't memorable.

« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »