Black Pearl Necklace - Saugatuck Brewing Company

2.75/5  rDev -23.4%

2.5/5  rDev -30.4%

3.25/5  rDev -9.5%

3.83/5  rDev +6.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Pours deep dark black very little if any light makes it through this beer. Head is about one and a half fingers, tan and retains nicely.

Nose is good. Some tart fruity esters of black cherries and blackberries forward along with some nice roasted cocoa to balance it out. Then comes the oak aroma along with a nice roasted malt body.

Taste is good there is a light crisp fruity tartness forward before fading into a lighter then expected malt body that has some lightly roasted flavors. Big oak flavors follow that add some good complexity with some more tart dark fruity flavors along with some hints of bourbon.

Mouthfeel is good. Thick but not intensely think. Carbonation is not overdone and give is a soft feel. Body works well with the very light esters.

Overall this was a great bourbon barrel beer, I just wish a little more rich roasted malt was present.

3.46/5  rDev -3.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

I picked up a bottle of Saugatuck's Black Pearl Necklace about a month ago for $13.99 at The Lager Mill. I missed out on their Barrel aged Barleywine, so I thought I better take a chance on this Barrel Aged Imperial Stout before it's gone, so lets see how it goes. No visible bottling date 2013 Vintage. Poured from a waxed 22ox brown bottle into a snifter.

A- The label looks nice and I think it's pretty eye catching. It poured a dark black color that didn't let any light come through with two and a half fingers worth of dark tan head that was almost mocha and it died to a thin ring that stayed till the end and left some nice rings of lacing behind. I thought this was a pretty good looking beer, I have no complaints.

S- The aroma starts off with a slightly higher amount of medium sweetness followed by some dark roasted malts with chocolate sticking out the most and some coffee showing up in the background. Up next comes a lighter amount of bourbon and oak aromas followed by what I think is a slight bit of tartness. the aroma was nice, but the little bit of tartness threw me off a little and the barrel aspect was a little light.

T- The taste seems to be just a little different from the aroma and it starts off with a medium amount of sweetness and some medium roasted dark malts that imparts some coffee and chocolate like flavors with the chocolate sticking out the most. Up next comes s little watery flavor with a light bourbon barrel aspect with a little bit of bourbon and oak coming through. On the finish there's a slight blackberry taste with a little bit of hops that impart a low amount of bitterness with a chocolate and light bourbon like aftertaste. This was a nice tasting beer but it was a little light on the flavors, I wanted more of just about everything.

M- Pretty smooth, fairly creamy, slightly sticky, medium bodied with a medium amount of carbonation. The mouthfeel was decent, but it was a little thin and watery.

Overall I thought this was decent beer and a pretty average example of the style, the aroma, taste, and body, were all lighter then I would have liked. This beer had decent drinkability, it was smooth and not filling, but the taste didn't do a great job at holding my attention and one is enough for me. What I liked the most about this beer was the appearance, it was the only aspect that didn't have anything that I didn't like about it. What I liked the least about this beer was the mouthfeel, I thought it was just too light and watery. I wouldn't buy this beer again, I don't think it comes close to being worth $14 and I wouldn't really recommend this beer. All in all I thought this beer was decent, but I wasn't impressed, better luck next time guys, I'm for sure gonna think twice before I purchase any more of your special releases.

3.94/5  rDev +9.7%
look: 5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.75

Thanks to Kevin for splitting his bottle with me. A Saugatuck beer with a waxed cap... I never thought I'd see the day. This stuff is like a black hole. Like the blackest hole... ever. Void of any and all color with a huge, creamy, tan-colored bubbly head that perches nicely on top of the black liquid and leaves behind some wet and boisterous lacing. Fine like the skinnies at South Beach.

Chocolate. Sweet cocoa nibs. Soothing oak chips. Mild roast. It's a bourbon barrel stout without much bourbon, although a teeny tiny bit is preesnt. It's mostly just a barrel presence, though. Vanilla drizzled across the profile every which way, complementing the cocoa and roast notes. Nothing that's gonna cure cancer, but still an aromatically pleasing stout.

After a few good inhales, you kind of already know what you're getting with this one. Milky sweet chocolate up front... but not *too* sweet, mind you. Vanilla is laced between each and every cocoa nib in the profile with a moderate oak backdrop, a hint of oily, nuanced coconut, and a finishing dose of malty roast. Oak tips and cocoa hips.

So, where's the bourbon? Sure ain't in my beer. If you dig down, deep into the seventh layer of this shit and force yourself to taste bourbon, then you might. Otherwise, bourbon barely makes an appearance in the flavor... It really taste more like an oak-aged beer than actual "bourbon oak" or whatever the bottle states. The creamy mouth feel fits the smooth roast, wet oak, and sweet cocoa flavors; low carbonation and medium-heavy bodied.

Not much in the way of bourbon... But I'm okay with that, because as a regular "oak aged stout", it's actually pretty good. I just wish they would have advertised it as such. Not something I'll regularly purchase because of the hefty price tag, but it was definitely enjoyable and it would be nice to try on tap (if that ever will happen, who knows). Well played, Saugatuck.

3.25/5  rDev -9.5%