2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Ironman Wheat - Southend Brewery & Smokehouse

Ironman Wheat
No picture uploaded.

Southend Brewery & Smokehouse visit their website
South Carolina, United States

American Pale Wheat Ale |  4.90% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 07-02-2006)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
Ratings: 4 | Reviews: 4
Reviews by drperm:
drperm

3.73/5  rDev +21.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

One of the better brews I had at Southend, which seems to be quite the hit-or-miss place when it comes to their brews. I wouldn't call it a hefeweizen so much as an American Wheat Ale. GLAD that they didn't serve it with any kind of citrus wedge (I have a particular disdain for that tradition...). Definite hints of apple and other bright fruit in the nose. Goes down smooth and refreshingly. I'd have another.

04-07-2008 14:29:30 | More by drperm
smcolw

3.73/5  rDev +21.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

This is a mild wheat beer--not much nose and light taste. The beer settles to have no head (just some bubbles along the rim). Leaves streaky lace. The color is orange-amber and predictably cloudy.

The smell and taste are similar--light wheat background with notes of beery and citric sourness (very mild). The body was true to the style, although the carbonation was on the high side.

12-27-2009 22:39:50 | More by smcolw
mikesgroove

South Carolina

1.4/5  rDev -54.4%

Ok this was by far worst of the night for me. I am not sure how this is supposed to be a hefe in anyway, but trust me when I tell you it is not. Light yellow in color with minimal head and no fizzy carbonation at all. The aroma was a mess, stale grains and rotten fruits, tried to be too many things at once I think. But the flavor was as close to a drain pour as I have gotten in a bar in a while. Just off in every way. I was just amazed that people pass this as a hefe, it was just wrong. I would not go back to this.

01-21-2009 02:52:11 | More by mikesgroove
khiasmus

South Carolina

3.4/5  rDev +10.7%

Pours a hazy orange with tight white head that drops to a ring in short order. Constant bubbles give it an inviting appearance.
Nose is of orange, honey, light cigar, mown grass, grain husk and a tinge of cotton candy.
Flavor is initially light malt, honey, and grain/biscuit. Gives way to the cotton candy I smelled, some good bittering hops but little hop flavor, and finishes lightly bitter.
Mouthfeel is medium light in body, with good carbonation and a light astringency in the finish.
One of the better offerings at this brewery. decently drinkable. I'd recommend this one if you're stopping in.

09-22-2008 16:07:56 | More by khiasmus
Ironman Wheat from Southend Brewery & Smokehouse
- out of 100 based on 4 ratings.