Ironman Wheat - Southend Brewery & Smokehouse

No picture uploaded.

Southend Brewery & Smokehouse visit their website
South Carolina, United States

American Pale Wheat Ale |  4.90% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 07-02-2006)
Reviews by drperm:
3.73/5  rDev +21.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

One of the better brews I had at Southend, which seems to be quite the hit-or-miss place when it comes to their brews. I wouldn't call it a hefeweizen so much as an American Wheat Ale. GLAD that they didn't serve it with any kind of citrus wedge (I have a particular disdain for that tradition...). Definite hints of apple and other bright fruit in the nose. Goes down smooth and refreshingly. I'd have another.

drperm, Apr 07, 2008
1.4/5  rDev -54.4%

Ok this was by far worst of the night for me. I am not sure how this is supposed to be a hefe in anyway, but trust me when I tell you it is not. Light yellow in color with minimal head and no fizzy carbonation at all. The aroma was a mess, stale grains and rotten fruits, tried to be too many things at once I think. But the flavor was as close to a drain pour as I have gotten in a bar in a while. Just off in every way. I was just amazed that people pass this as a hefe, it was just wrong. I would not go back to this.

mikesgroove, Jan 21, 2009
3.73/5  rDev +21.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

This is a mild wheat beer--not much nose and light taste. The beer settles to have no head (just some bubbles along the rim). Leaves streaky lace. The color is orange-amber and predictably cloudy.

The smell and taste are similar--light wheat background with notes of beery and citric sourness (very mild). The body was true to the style, although the carbonation was on the high side.

smcolw, Dec 27, 2009
3.4/5  rDev +10.7%

Pours a hazy orange with tight white head that drops to a ring in short order. Constant bubbles give it an inviting appearance.
Nose is of orange, honey, light cigar, mown grass, grain husk and a tinge of cotton candy.
Flavor is initially light malt, honey, and grain/biscuit. Gives way to the cotton candy I smelled, some good bittering hops but little hop flavor, and finishes lightly bitter.
Mouthfeel is medium light in body, with good carbonation and a light astringency in the finish.
One of the better offerings at this brewery. decently drinkable. I'd recommend this one if you're stopping in.

khiasmus, Sep 22, 2008
Ironman Wheat from Southend Brewery & Smokehouse
- out of 100 based on 4 ratings.