Oaked IPA - Round Barn Brewery

Oaked IPAOaked IPA

good

Round Barn Brewery visit their website

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 10-20-2008)
Reviews by jale:
2.73/5  rDev -22.7%

Had on tap at the tasting room exit 6 off I-94.

A: Pours a clear gold with a finger of white head.

S: Hop aroma followed by a hint of antiseptic and fresh raw oak.

T: Light earthy-woody oak upfront followed by complex hop flavors. Piney and some citrus.

M: Light body with good carbonation.

O: This was aged with oak granules(WTF) I thought the oak used in this was fresh and gave it some bad flavors.

jale, Jul 08, 2011
4.25/5  rDev +20.4%

Swane, Sep 07, 2014
4.1/5  rDev +16.1%

A: Poured briskly into a room-temperature weizen glass, Oak-Aged IPA put forth about a half-fnger of bone white head, quickly dying down to almost nothing. Nice lacing with solid retention on the glass. Color is cloudy copper. Great look, all in all.

S: A rich hoppy presence hits immediately with tones of vanilla, toffee, mandarin orange and dank wood. Very inviting and intriguing smell!

T: I get fruity, resinous hops up front with more of that vanilla and woodiness to balance out the experience in the finish. I wouldn't mind a a tad more malt in the equation, but this is pleasantly balanced and subtle overall.

M: Great mouthfeel. Very low carbonation which goes down smooth and finishes dry like most solid IPAs.

O: Round Barn's Oak-Aged IPA is a pleasant experience. Nothing blows you away, but the whole package is superbly balanced. You can tell that these guys have years of experience doing what they do. They're not out to change the world of beer- they're simply carving out their own, elegant niche in a crowded world of American IPAs.

Fusion_Pirate, Sep 02, 2012
3.64/5  rDev +3.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

The Round Barn Oaken IPA is decent...not too bitter. The beer poured a clear orange with thin white head that is not leaving much of a lace. The scent carries malt and hint of hops. The taste is a well balance beer that is a bit more sweet than bitter. The hops that are present have touches of citrus. The mouthfeel is medium in body with good carbonation. Overall this is a good beer and worth a try.

WoodBrew, Jul 06, 2013
3.25/5  rDev -7.9%

PaBeerLover, Aug 20, 2012
3.03/5  rDev -14.2%

Pours a clear, light amber color with a large white head that had excellant retention. The head eventually settles to a thick cap. Heavy lacing is left on the glass. The aroma is really strange. Definately not IPA-like. What the hell is that... nutmeg? cinammon? Smells like a winter warmer as strange as that might be. Maybe it is the oak that is casting off these aromas. I do pick up some wood under the other things. The flavor is a little more traditional. But there are some off flavos as well. Some nice citrus and pale malt flavors. Not as hopped up as an American IPA should be and bitterness is a bit low. I do not want to completely trash this beer so I scored it a 3 as I did enjoy the flavor overall. The body and carbonation were both done well. Could stand to have a little more body though. I would really like to try this beer again just to see if I got an aberration.

morimech, Aug 06, 2010
3.5/5  rDev -0.8%

DrIPA, May 30, 2013

Danielr26, Apr 03, 2013
3.25/5  rDev -7.9%

jduprey007, Aug 23, 2014
3.2/5  rDev -9.3%

Poured from 12oz bottle. Review from notes...

A- Pours a hazy yellow color. Two finger white head that goes down after a minute. Light lacing on the sides of the glass.

S- Some light caramel malts in the front end of this. Floral hops mix in with some light citrus hops as well. Some oaky aroma in the back end of the nose. Nothing really else going on. The overall aroma is muted.

T- Light floral hops in the front of this. Some caramel malts in the middle of the beer with some light citrus hops in here. Some oaky flavors come through but....it is not a whole oak flavor. The flavor of oak is very off-tasting. Some citrus hops in the back end of this with a light bitter hop bite.

M- Light mouthfeel. Carbonation is good for the style. Bitter hops left on the palate with a off oak flavor in the aftertaste. Flavors were muted and muddled overall.

D- Easy drinkable beer. Muted flavors all over the board though when I drink it. The oak flavor isn't what comes to my mind when I drink this beer. Oak powder is more of the flavor I pick up.

alleykatking, May 25, 2010

Tlab3, Jun 12, 2013
4.25/5  rDev +20.4%

kirkse, Jul 01, 2013

HoneyLamb, Apr 19, 2013
3.98/5  rDev +12.7%

Picked up a sixer of 12 oz bottles at a local store for 9.99. Pours a nice deep bronze color with about one finger of bright head which dissipates quickly but leaves lots of sticky lacing. Smell is good, but a little mild (though I have a slight cold) and the mouthfeel is good but not great. The flavor is good. Citrus and spice, pine and hop oils as you would expect, but none are overbearing or obnoxious. Overall a good local Michigan IPA! (but not quite as good as Two Hearted Ale).

Sdesenberg, Dec 11, 2011

joshrosborne, Apr 10, 2014
3.5/5  rDev -0.8%

DMarlinJ, Nov 04, 2013

Scott225, Jul 25, 2013

HardyA, Dec 14, 2013
3.05/5  rDev -13.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 2.75

I picked up a bottle of Round Barn Brewery's Wood Oaked IPA last week for $2.89 at Boyne Country Provisions. I've only had a couple beers from Round Barn and so far I haven't had the greatest luck with them, but this one caught my eye and I thought I should give it a chance, so lets see how it goes. No visible bottling date. Poured from a brown 12oz bottle into a imperial pint glass.

A- The label looks ok, it's pretty simple with the wood being represented in the background, but I think the name Wood Oaked IPA is a little redundant and stupid, it's not too eye catching. It poured a cloudy darker golden color and it took it more of a copper color when held to the light with a a little over a fingers worth of fluffy off white head that died down to a thin ring that stayed till the end and it left a little bit of spotty lacing behind. This was a nice looking beer, but i wish the lacing was a little better.

S- The aroma starts off with a slightly higher amount of medium sweetness followed by the oak being the first to show up and it imparts some woody, oak and light vanilla like aromas that lead right into the malts which impart some nice toasted malt, caramel malt and sweet malt like aromas, Up next comes the hops which are on the lighter side and they only impart a slight spicy hop aroma. The aroma was ok, but it didn't really have enough hops in the aroma to live up to being called an IPA.

T- The taste seems to be very similar to the aroma and it starts of with a slightly higher amount of medium sweetness with the malts being the first to show up this time and they impart the same malty aspects that they did in the aroma with the caramel and toasted malts seeming to stick out the most and there's some light doughy yeast flavors in the background. Up next comes the oak which shows up nicely and it imparts the same aspects that it did in the aroma with no single aspect sticking out the most. On the finish comes the hops which barely show up and they impart that same light spicy hop aspect with just a slight bit of bitterness and not even close to the amount that I would expect from the style and it had some malty and oaky flavors in the aftertaste. This was an ok tasting beer, but the hop aspect was really lacking and that held this beer back.

M- Pretty smooth, clean, a little crisp, slightly creamy, on the slightly thicker side of being medium bodied with a medium amount of carbonation. This beer had a nice mouthfeel that worked well with it.

Overall I wasn't a big fan of this beer and I didn't think it was a good example of an Oaked IPA simply because the hops hardly showed up and I think it would be hard for me to guess that the base of this beer is an IPA if I tried it without knowing what it was. This beer had ok drinkability, it was pretty smooth, clean, a little crisp, slightly creamy, not too filling, but the taste didn't do the best job at holding my attention so I think one would be enough for me. What I like the most about this beer was the appearance and mouthfeel, they were equally nice and along with the oak flavors and aromas they were the highlights of this beer. What I liked the least about this beer was the lack of hops, it was just hard to distinguish this as an IPA with such a light hop profile and hardly any bitterness to match it, that was this beers biggest downfall. I might try this beer, if I knew for sure it was super fresh, but with no bottling date or local distribution I don't see that happening anytime soon. I can't say I would recommend this as a good Oaked IPA and I don't think it's that hard to find a better example of the style. All in all I wasn't impressed with this beer, it wasn't what I was hoping it to be and in the end it left me wanting a lot more hops. Oronoko Stout is still my least favorite Round Barn beer, but this might just be my new least favorite Oaked IPA. and I'm still not a fan of this brewery. Better luck next time guys, this one needs some work and some more hops.

StoutHunter, Jul 15, 2014

Giggy, Friday at 10:43 PM

BellsFan, Jun 09, 2012
3.96/5  rDev +12.2%

This pale orange-brown beer, ostensibly an IPA, is surprisingly light in all respects: not strongly oaked, not strongly hopped, but—nevertheless—a very, very well-balanced effort. Solidly sweet, with a clean, wine-hop nose that asserts itself strongly, this ale hints at its oakiness and hides its IPA notes significantly. It may, in fact, be mis-categorized; but, irrespective of that issue of nomenclature, the beer itself is quite good. A nice gift to receive—from a brewery I've never visited and of which I'd never heard—this is a very drinkable beer, especially in autumnal moments when a sweet, woody brew is the perfect pair to crisp, cooling air.

OrestesMethuon, Sep 27, 2014
4.03/5  rDev +14.2%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into an imperial pint.

A: Pours a hazy and pale peach color. Some swirls of suspended yeast sediment were spied floating in the glass. The light khaki head was about 3 fingers thick and quite rocky. Retention was excellent and rings, ropes, and gobs of lacey webs were left behind.

S: Mild citrus hops with some toasty malt and a nice layer of dry oak. As it warms, I was able to notice fresh tangerine and floral/herbal hops.

T: Same as above. Tangerine and more citrus (orange, lemon, grapefruit) play nice with bits of moist oak, white pepper, and a pinch of caramel.

M: Starts off fruity and juicy and quickly turns bitter/hoppy and finally dry and spicy for the finish (more than likely from the oak). Pretty sticky and slightly astringent...nice.

D: Another great beer from Round Barn! It sucks that their beer is no longer offered for sale at their tasting room on I94 at exit 6. Otherwise we'd stop and pick up their beer every time on the way home from MI. I got their email update a few months ago that said something like "Oak Aged IPA is out but we can no longer sell beer at our tasting room at Exit 6, come to the winery in Baroda..." That's a little off the beaten path for us when we're traveling with three dogs in the car. Thankfully they have decent distro. in MI and I'm always able to find their stuff at Siciliano's.

GbVDave, Sep 23, 2009
4.15/5  rDev +17.6%

Pour is hazy golden color. Light, white head with a little lacing.

Nose is true to name with oak dancing in on citrusy hops. Lemon zest. Oak is there, but noverly pronounced.

Entry is clean, dry, crisp - opens nicely to smooth middle when a blast of hop bittering kicks in. Flavors of honey malts, fresh fruits, hint of melon, and oak backing throughout. Again, oak does not overpower, but works nicely.

The bittering is very well done on the finish - long snappy bitterness. Flavors of wild-flower honey, crystal malt. Floral hop flavors. Mouthfeel didn't quite hold up.

A nice surprise. Considering this is relatively new entrant to craft beer scene, no bottle issues, no off flavors, and packs nice hop smack down in a new and interesting. One to seek out and try.

sweethome, May 30, 2012