Oaked IPA - Round Barn Brewery

« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »
Ratings: 114 | Reviews: 42
1.25/5  rDev -64.2%
look: 2 | smell: 1.25 | taste: 1 | feel: 1.25 | overall: 1.5

I tried it on a customer recommendation. Poured out light muddy. Head dissipated very quickly. Smelled alright. Taste was like non-flavorable, it was not chilled too much to take the taste away, but I've tasted better from a big box store. Definitely not craft worthy.
just a warning, in my opinion

2.32/5  rDev -33.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 2

Served in a Lagunitas mason jar.

Brand new brewery to my area, drinking with full memory of the Great Divide Oak-Aged IPA from Firkin a couple years ago. Right on. This stuff pours a clear brass topped by a finger of off-white foam. The nose comprises coconut shavings, light mushroom, and a touch of biscuit. The hell...? The taste brings in more of the same, with less of an earthy character (so long, shiitake) and more of a plain oak one. The body is a light medium, with a light moderate carbonation and a fluid feel. Overall, I have no idea what happened here, but it sure as hell doesn't seem like any oaked IPA I've ever come across before, much less many normal IPAs, for that matter.

2.74/5  rDev -21.5%

Had on tap at the tasting room exit 6 off I-94.

A: Pours a clear gold with a finger of white head.

S: Hop aroma followed by a hint of antiseptic and fresh raw oak.

T: Light earthy-woody oak upfront followed by complex hop flavors. Piney and some citrus.

M: Light body with good carbonation.

O: This was aged with oak granules(WTF) I thought the oak used in this was fresh and gave it some bad flavors.

2.98/5  rDev -14.6%

Poured to a one fingered head that didnt hang around very long. Left some lacing. Head was slighly offwhite in color. IPA itself was golden in color and had some brownish notes. Smelled very light. Maybe some citrus. I thought it tasted very light also. Just some citrus. Not really hoppy. Had a slightly bitter aftertaste that hung around awhile. Felt good in the mouth. I thought carbonation was right. I dont know what the alcohol content is, the bottle didnt say. I think you could make this a session beer. I didnt feel the alcohol content was as high as other IPAs I have tasted.

look: 3.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3.25

Drank from the bottle:

On the nose are ambiguous malt notes, reminiscent of a Lager.

On the palate, the "oaked" character comes across more like ginger, a note which even dissipates with slight spice on the back of the palate. There's not much else; not impressively hoppy, and that same ambiguous malt from before reluctantly shows up before altogether disappearing, leaving the ginger behind, cloaked in an odd sweetness.

Very light body for an IPA.
I wouldn't turn this down if it were handed to me, but I wouldn't seek it out, and I won't buy it again.

3.02/5  rDev -13.5%

Pours a clear, light amber color with a large white head that had excellant retention. The head eventually settles to a thick cap. Heavy lacing is left on the glass. The aroma is really strange. Definately not IPA-like. What the hell is that... nutmeg? cinammon? Smells like a winter warmer as strange as that might be. Maybe it is the oak that is casting off these aromas. I do pick up some wood under the other things. The flavor is a little more traditional. But there are some off flavos as well. Some nice citrus and pale malt flavors. Not as hopped up as an American IPA should be and bitterness is a bit low. I do not want to completely trash this beer so I scored it a 3 as I did enjoy the flavor overall. The body and carbonation were both done well. Could stand to have a little more body though. I would really like to try this beer again just to see if I got an aberration.

3.06/5  rDev -12.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 2.75

I picked up a bottle of Round Barn Brewery's Wood Oaked IPA last week for $2.89 at Boyne Country Provisions. I've only had a couple beers from Round Barn and so far I haven't had the greatest luck with them, but this one caught my eye and I thought I should give it a chance, so lets see how it goes. No visible bottling date. Poured from a brown 12oz bottle into a imperial pint glass.

A- The label looks ok, it's pretty simple with the wood being represented in the background, but I think the name Wood Oaked IPA is a little redundant and stupid, it's not too eye catching. It poured a cloudy darker golden color and it took it more of a copper color when held to the light with a a little over a fingers worth of fluffy off white head that died down to a thin ring that stayed till the end and it left a little bit of spotty lacing behind. This was a nice looking beer, but i wish the lacing was a little better.

S- The aroma starts off with a slightly higher amount of medium sweetness followed by the oak being the first to show up and it imparts some woody, oak and light vanilla like aromas that lead right into the malts which impart some nice toasted malt, caramel malt and sweet malt like aromas, Up next comes the hops which are on the lighter side and they only impart a slight spicy hop aroma. The aroma was ok, but it didn't really have enough hops in the aroma to live up to being called an IPA.

T- The taste seems to be very similar to the aroma and it starts of with a slightly higher amount of medium sweetness with the malts being the first to show up this time and they impart the same malty aspects that they did in the aroma with the caramel and toasted malts seeming to stick out the most and there's some light doughy yeast flavors in the background. Up next comes the oak which shows up nicely and it imparts the same aspects that it did in the aroma with no single aspect sticking out the most. On the finish comes the hops which barely show up and they impart that same light spicy hop aspect with just a slight bit of bitterness and not even close to the amount that I would expect from the style and it had some malty and oaky flavors in the aftertaste. This was an ok tasting beer, but the hop aspect was really lacking and that held this beer back.

M- Pretty smooth, clean, a little crisp, slightly creamy, on the slightly thicker side of being medium bodied with a medium amount of carbonation. This beer had a nice mouthfeel that worked well with it.

Overall I wasn't a big fan of this beer and I didn't think it was a good example of an Oaked IPA simply because the hops hardly showed up and I think it would be hard for me to guess that the base of this beer is an IPA if I tried it without knowing what it was. This beer had ok drinkability, it was pretty smooth, clean, a little crisp, slightly creamy, not too filling, but the taste didn't do the best job at holding my attention so I think one would be enough for me. What I like the most about this beer was the appearance and mouthfeel, they were equally nice and along with the oak flavors and aromas they were the highlights of this beer. What I liked the least about this beer was the lack of hops, it was just hard to distinguish this as an IPA with such a light hop profile and hardly any bitterness to match it, that was this beers biggest downfall. I might try this beer, if I knew for sure it was super fresh, but with no bottling date or local distribution I don't see that happening anytime soon. I can't say I would recommend this as a good Oaked IPA and I don't think it's that hard to find a better example of the style. All in all I wasn't impressed with this beer, it wasn't what I was hoping it to be and in the end it left me wanting a lot more hops. Oronoko Stout is still my least favorite Round Barn beer, but this might just be my new least favorite Oaked IPA. and I'm still not a fan of this brewery. Better luck next time guys, this one needs some work and some more hops.

3.1/5  rDev -11.2%

12oz bottle, thanks to my sister-in-law, Ann, for buying this for me while on a trip to Michigan.
A - hazed tangerine colored ale topped with a foamy ivory colored head that hangs around awhile
S - charred oak, vanilla, mild fruit - orange and grapefruit perhaps
T - fruity again here with apricot, grapefruit, mandarin; some caramel malt; a bit herbal, a bit piny, oak and vanilla notes add some depth, but I'm not sure how well the flavors meld
M - medium body, lower carbonation, finishes semi-bitter
O - just ok for me. I never think an IPA needs to be oaked, but that's just my opinion.

3.16/5  rDev -9.5%

This beer poured a slightly cloudy yellow color and formed a huge off white head that left latticed lace as it subsided. Acted a bit like a float. A small amount of carbonation is present. An aroma of hops, pine and citrus. The flavor was of hops, citrus and pepper. The body was medium light and the finish slightly sweet. Fairly pedestrian IPA and falls under session style.

3.17/5  rDev -9.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.25

We're the bears who sing for Duke.

3.17/5  rDev -9.2%

Thanks Dave!

Pours amber-yellow into my sam adams pint. One finger of stark white head forms a cloud-like head. Eventually it recedes to a layer of foam leaving spotty lacing and great retention throughout.

Smell is a bit muted overall. Dry Hopping would do wonders for this beer. Really digging to find the grassy, herbal hop flavors. Subtle vanilla oakiness. Toffee-like malt. And a dash of citrus.

Initial bitterness, but overall this is fairly well balanced. subtle wood notes with hop flavor dominating. Toasted malts and a bit of caramel in the background.

Substantial mouthfeel, finishes fruity and surprisingly dry. Definitely sessionable.

3.18/5  rDev -8.9%

A- A hazy, yellow beer with thousands of micro floaters. The white head is thick and creamy with excellent retention.

S- Smells floral and fruity. Pretty nice but very subtle. Like a really muted Two Hearted Ale.

T- Very mild flavors of fruit and flowers. I tried my damnedest to get some oak flavors out of it, but couldn't. Enjoyable for what is there.

M- Carbonation is where it should be and leaves a dry and crisp aftertaste like you would expect.

D- Well, whatever. There is nothing wrong with this beer, there is just nothing that stands out much- especially for an oak aged IPA. It drinks decently I suppose.

3.21/5  rDev -8%

Poured from 12oz bottle. Review from notes...

A- Pours a hazy yellow color. Two finger white head that goes down after a minute. Light lacing on the sides of the glass.

S- Some light caramel malts in the front end of this. Floral hops mix in with some light citrus hops as well. Some oaky aroma in the back end of the nose. Nothing really else going on. The overall aroma is muted.

T- Light floral hops in the front of this. Some caramel malts in the middle of the beer with some light citrus hops in here. Some oaky flavors come through but....it is not a whole oak flavor. The flavor of oak is very off-tasting. Some citrus hops in the back end of this with a light bitter hop bite.

M- Light mouthfeel. Carbonation is good for the style. Bitter hops left on the palate with a off oak flavor in the aftertaste. Flavors were muted and muddled overall.

D- Easy drinkable beer. Muted flavors all over the board though when I drink it. The oak flavor isn't what comes to my mind when I drink this beer. Oak powder is more of the flavor I pick up.

3.29/5  rDev -5.7%

I enjoyed this beer from the comfort of my own living room. From the bottle to a standard pint glass. (From my notes on 05-20-10.)

Appearance: Pours cloudy orange with a billowy off-white head.

Smell: Muted oak and citrus hops. Not very inviting.

Taste: Citrusy hops and faint taste of oak.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied and sticky.

Drinkability: Not very drinkable. Pretty disappointing actually.

3.3/5  rDev -5.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Golden IPA with straw gold highlights and a thin white head on top. In the bottle, the oak is more concentrated than the draft sample I had at the tasting room. Here, it feels a bit out of balance, and very strong on the wood. If you like oak--this is your beer. Very light malt and some floral notes in the nose--woodiness covers both a bit. Strong bite on the front of the tongue, and the same oak fighting with it a bit. Dry finish. I liked the beer a lot more on draft, mostly because the oak played its normal supporting role.

3.36/5  rDev -3.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Sampled on 9-1-09

Pours a crystal clear golden yellow, with a huge, foamy white head. The head lasts forever, and covers the glass with sticky bits of lacing.

Smell is all soapy hops, enough citrus to really smell like dish soap. A little too clean, but still intriguing.

Taste is just like the smell, the slight oak flavor just help to add sweetness to the soapy taste. So soapy, it tastes like they forgot to rinse out the bottle after they cleaned it. Not all bad, just a little one-dimensional.

Mouthfeel is good, decent carbonation to keep things spicy.

Drinkability is decent, the flavor just becomes a bit too much.

Overall, an ambitious beer from a small brewery, and a very good try.

3.43/5  rDev -1.7%

A: Pours a hazy orangish amber hue. Nice tall head with a real foamy cap that lingers for the duration. Large chunks of lace.

S: Not alot going on here. Hints of caramel, pine, and light citrus.

T: Same as aroma. Light sweet malts, with hints of pine and citrus. No oak at all.

M: Medium in body, smooth, good carbonation.

D: Like the beer just okay.

3.62/5  rDev +3.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

The Round Barn Oaken IPA is decent...not too bitter. The beer poured a clear orange with thin white head that is not leaving much of a lace. The scent carries malt and hint of hops. The taste is a well balance beer that is a bit more sweet than bitter. The hops that are present have touches of citrus. The mouthfeel is medium in body with good carbonation. Overall this is a good beer and worth a try.

3.68/5  rDev +5.4%

Appearance: cloudy, deep golden-tangerine body with a half finger bone white head that leaves some lacing on the glass with each sip but does not stick.

Aroma: light overall, some oak, citrus-floral in the mix

Flavors: the mild-moderate oak flavor seems to mix well with some muted hops, mild citrus at best, I based my 4 rating on this beer and not on an IPA style. Based on an IPA style I would go lower.

Mouthfeel: moderate carbonation, dry, oak spice that is reminding me of my oak sea salt that I use in cooking, piney on the finish and aftertaste along with the oak, nothing overpowering

To the Point: IPA fans or Hop Heads might be disappointed or a little disappointed but, I like the touch of oak. For someone who likes cigars and some cigars have oaky notes … well this would be worth buying and enjoying with a fine cigar. Look forward to a few reviews on my cigar blog with this beer.

Worthy to try … ahrrr … interesting to try? Yes. For the cigar smoker it is a must pairing. I paired it with a Liga Privada #9 and it was a very pleasing pairing.

3.75/5  rDev +7.4%

Tangelo orange with lemon yellow edges and multiple streams of ascending bubbles. The upper third of the glass is filled with a good looking chunk of yellowed ivory colored foam that leaves thin, interconnected rings of lace as it deflates.

The aroma features American C-hops and no oakiness than I'm able to detect. Warming ramps up the intensity just enough to earn the next highest score. Apparently, oak chips were added to the kettles, the beer wasn't aged in oak barrels. For whatever that's worth.

This is an above average American IPA, but that's as far as it goes. It's on the thinnish side and doesn't have quite enough hoppiness for the style. To be fair, hop flavor and bitterness are cumulative and are becoming more prominent as the ounces flow by.

The malt tastes mostly pale with a hint of toasted bread, and the hops are primarily white grapefruity. Probably Centennial. There might be a bit of woodiness, but I wouldn't have guessed it if the beer had a different name. A crisp, drying finish helps drinkability.

The mouthfeel is closer to APA than IPA. That's probably because there isn't a ton of malt. Why don't these guys publish ABVs? My guess is somewhere in the vicinity of 6.0-6.5%. The carbonation is serviceable.

Oak-Aged IPA is enjoyable beer that does almost enough to be considered a good example of the style. It's still the best thing that I've had from Round Barn Brewery so far. Then again, I rarely meet a hoppy American IPA that I don't like.

3.85/5  rDev +10.3%

A- Slightly hazy golden orange. Modest head that faded quickly.

S- Oak is prominent but blends well with piney hops. Sweet malt aroma is also present

T- Taste is very oaky, but not really objectionable. The strong oak does muddy the hop character a bit, but generally the two marry well. Clean bitterness in the finish with just a little sweetness.

M- Mouthfeel is very nice. Moderate smooth, velvety body with a moderate amount of carbonation.

O- Nice beer. Stands out as distinct from a lot of other IPAs because of the notable oak character. The only drawback is the oakiness is a little on the strong side.

3.85/5  rDev +10.3%

Poured a bottle into a tulip glass that gave this brew a very generous head.

A - A rich, dark golden color with a thick, cream-white head. Left horizontal bars of lacing in places.

S - A wonderfully complex scent, and while I'm still working on refining my smell- and taste-distinguishing capabilities, I could pinpoint a woody/foresty scent with also a bit of sweet caramel.

T - The oaky taste remains from the scent, although the taste has less of the caramel that the smell promotes, providing a more bitter taste than the smell, but not as bitter as I expected. The oak flavor lingers for several seconds after the swallow, much like a good, smooth whiskey.

M - Slightly prickly/frothy, almost thin.

D - The beer encourages a long drink time. On the other hand, it didn't encourage the strong desire for another.

EDIT: Cleaned up grammar (deleted "as bitter as bitter" redundancy).

3.88/5  rDev +11.2%

Flavor is a light toasty pale malt right up front and then fades to a piny . resin type hop , earthy , with the oak sitting way in the background , medium bitterness at first with a long bitter hop finish , this beer seems to change flavors 3 times in your mouth , nice . A crisp clean mouthfeel , with a light to medium body . Not sure why but this is way better than I had expected Nice job Round Barn . If you get a chance try Round Barns Cranberry wine We love it .

3.88/5  rDev +11.2%

One of the better IPA I have had lately. Starts well and ends well. The oak can certainly be tasted as well as the hops, both linger. Tastes a little smokey, which I like The color isn't quite the bronze the bottle claimed but close. Over all a decent IPA. I would by a sixer but probably take a month or more to finish.

3.88/5  rDev +11.2%

12oz bottle picked up on a recent trip to michigan. drank from my sierra nevada hop tulip glass.

A- this one pours a hazy pale amber colored body with a minuscule off white colored head. the head is no more than a crown within 10 seconds. it leaves very little lacing on the sides of my glass.

S- sweet caramel and toffee malts upfront. herbal and floral hops at the end. i can barely detect this is oaked. smell is pretty weak overall.

T- the taste is stronger than the smell, which is a good thing. toffee and caramel malts at first. pretty sweet. a good deal of hops in this one as well. floral, grassy, and herbal. the oak comes through much stronger than in the smell. kind of astringent. extremely well balanced.

M- thin and light with too much carbonation. lingering bitter aftertaste.

D- one of the most balanced oak aged ipas that ive had. easy to down a few of, but not the greatest beer on earth. id get bored after a couple and look for something else.

« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »