Harvest Ale - Round Barn Brewery

Round Barn Brewery visit their website

American IPA |  ABV ?

Availability: Fall

Fresh hop ale.

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 10-18-2009)
alexanf

Kentucky

12-18-2011 03:49:06 | More by mabmab67
LuthersLager

4.33/5  rDev +12.8%

The label states, "Our Harvest Ale comes from a single batch, brewed once a year as a salute to all hop lovers. We employ eight hop strikes, combining some of America's most flavorful and aromatic hop varieties: Amarillo, Cascade, Chinook, and Nugget. The finishing hops are freshly harvested from our estate vines and added to the beer within hours of picking. The result is a complex showcase of hop flavor and aroma balanced against a malt presence that is supported by a firm but no overwhelming bitterness. Enjoy!"

I was opening my 4th bottle of Harvest Ale before I noticed the this description on the back of the label. Let me say they nailed the description. First they have a good story to romanticize how they brewed this beer from hops they grew on their farm/winery.

I had low expectations from a brewery not well known in a state that boasts the likes of Bell's, Founders, and Short's. But this was one of my favorite hop discoveries of 2010. I'm the typical reach for a dogfish head 60 or 90 minute IPA to get my hop fix. And while this beer isn't better than those beers (which I've been loving for years), Harvest Ale is again one of my favorite hop finds of 2010.

The color is a beautiful, translucent but not transparent, amber color. The head retention is amazing sitting at over a quarter inch thick of every bit of 10 minutes. The aroma is unbelievable. My wife needs a perfume that smells like this beer, pure essence of hops. The taste is line the description, bitter but not overwhelming. It finishes smooth and is not dry like some IPAs.

Go drink one, if you can find one.

01-20-2011 23:40:00 | More by LuthersLager
StoneTSR

Colorado

4.58/5  rDev +19.3%

Wow, only the second review, and I am surprised to find such differences between myself and the original reviewer. Anyhow, loved this on tap at the brewery and had to buy a sixer to go. Here's what I experienced during the first bottle from that six-pack:

APPEARANCE: Slightly hazy gold color with a rich, thick and foamy head resting on top. The head dissipated within a minute or so leaving a thin layer of bubbles covering almost 100% of the top of the beer. 20% or so of the opposite side of the glass retained some randomly patterned lacing.

SMELL: Fruity and floral smell, maybe because of its name, there seem to be some apple-like notes in it as well. A very appetizing nose.

TASTE: Very well balanced beer, the sweetness up front is not overpowering, but more like a slightly spicy apple. As the hops kick in towards the end of the sip some more spicy and bitter notes can be detected. Interesting aftertaste, bitter, but full of spice. The spice seems to build through the entire sip until the end.

MOUTHFEEL: Rich and full-bodied, but still lively and fairly well carbonated.

OVERALL: Over the past year the woman and I have been lucky enough to travel to about 15 breweries across the country, from coast-to-coast, and this is one of the beers that we continue to talk about (Yep, she's awesome and loves beer almost as much as I do). It was a very random, but impressive find. I was impressed with Round Barn overall, but the Harvest Ale was the highlight. This is a fantastic example of a Fall seasonal for a hop-lover, something that isn't so easy to find.

11-24-2010 17:04:01 | More by StoneTSR
JamnesCameron

2.8/5  rDev -27.1%

From their website:

Our Harvest Ale comes from a single batch, brewed once a year as a salute to all hop lovers. We employ eight hop strikes, combining some of America's most flavorful and aromatic hop varieties: Amarillo, Cascade, Chinook and Nugget. The finishing hops are freshly harvested from our estate vines and added to the beer within hours of picking. The result is a complex showcase of hop flavor and aroma balanced against a malt presence that is supported by a firm but not overwhelming bitterness.

Poured into a pint glass. Copper color with two fingers of creamy offwhite head that really stands up. Leaves nice lacing.

Aromas of faint citrus hops. I expected a little more punch in the nose from the description.

First sip is mildly bitter with a good malt backbone. Drinks more like an American version of an English Bitter. A little astringency at the end of the sip.

Mouthfeel is light, not watery. The astrigency is metalic/coppery.

Drinkable beer. Don't think it is anywhere near an AIPA. Flavors and aromas are more suited to an americanized ESB. The astrigency is a little off-putting. Sparge water too hot? Mineral additions to water? Don't know for sure. But should be corrected for next year's batch.

10-15-2010 20:54:39 | More by JamnesCameron
Harvest Ale from Round Barn Brewery
- out of 100 based on 5 ratings.