1. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Otter Creek Citra Mantra - Otter Creek Brewing / Wolaver's

Otter Creek Citra MantraOtter Creek Citra Mantra

Otter Creek Brewing / Wolaver's
Vermont, United States

American Pale Lager |  5.75% ABV

Availability: Spring

(Beer added by: 80x2HopHead on 01-15-2014)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Otter Creek Citra Mantra Alström Bros

12oz bottle with a born on date of 2-14-14, $9.99 six pack at Wegmans in Downingtown, PA.

A - Pours a very pale straw color, with some hazy lemony highlights to it. A dense, rocky 3 finger head sits atop the brew with excellent retention and generous patches of sticky lace.

S - Herbal fresh cut grass and sweet tropical/citrus fruits pop in the nose quite prominently; pineapple, lemon pith, orange juice, grapefruit rind. Some sweet bready malt and slight grain keep a low profile but are noticeable. Remarkably clean smelling beer, with the Citra stealing the show. Very prominent, slightly dank hop smell.

T/M - Starts off sweet, with crackery malt, peach, and clementines, before ripe, juicy pineapple and lemon pith take over with some earthy grassy notes, certainly the dominating flavors. A slightly tart dark berry note also makes an appearance, typical of Citra for my palate. Finishes clean and dry, with some moderate grapefruit bitterness and sweet stone fruit. Refreshing yet creamy, with a gentle rolling carbonation that leaves me wanting another sip each time I put the glass down. Strikes a terrific balance between drinkability and enough flavor to savor.

O - I remember when I first had this beer I was pretty blown away, and my admiration for it remains several weeks and a couple six packs later. Just a super clean lager that has been beautifully hopped with one of my favorite varietals. After this, Kind Ryed and Double Dose, Otter Creek has really been batting a thousand lately. By far my favorite IPL, and in fact better than a lot of IPAs out there, this gets a perfect 5 from me (my first and so far only) because I just don't see how anyone could possibly improve upon it, although admittedly the playing field seems to be rather small right now.

4.81/5  rDev +20%

12oz bottle into a Captain Lawrence tulip. Bottled 1/27/14, drank 2/14/14.

Appearance: Careful pour yields a 2 inch frothy white head, which dissipates slowly and leaves sweeping lacing. Almost translucent light golden.

Smell: Lime-like Citra hops at first, very bold. Transitions to fresh baked bread. Undercurrents of pungent, dank weed and citrus, with a lot of malt and bread. Very refreshing. Hops take a back seat to malt eventually, but why not?

Taste: Starts out with beautiful, homebrew shop cereal malt (also in the nose), tinged by Citra hops. Transitions to deep country bread yeastiness, then dries the hell out just as it ought to. Aftertaste of light grains and citrusy hops.

I love this beer. Not "like" but *love*. Just masterful combination of ingredients and flavors. It's like a great American lager like Southampton Keller Pils or Stoudts Gold Lager in its perfectly coaxed out bready and cereal flavors, with a deep tinge of Citra. It's not dank weed, it's a hint of earthiness and a fair amount of that orange/lime citrus characteristic of Citra. If this were the 70s, I would say that it's "Just terrific."

Other notes: some peppery flavor coming out from the Citra that's quite interesting. More and more malt nuances emerge as I get through the bottle.

Mouthfeel: Light body, lively carbonation during the hop and cereal burst up front, then bone dry at the end. Exactly what I want in a lowish ABV pale beer.

Overall: I could drink this beer every day. It's excellent. I know this is very subjective, but for me, *this is the ideal beer*, in that it exemplifies, explains, and perfects what beer as beer is (good malt, good hops, clean yeast, good water profile, spot on mouthfeel). It reminds me of NEBCO Gold Stock and Hill Farmstead What Is Enlightenment; perfect marriage of *fresh* tasting malt and nuanced, full-flavored hops.

This beer hits every idiosyncratic me-virtue that can exist in a beer, so much so that I really don't know if I can unbiasedly suggest the beer to people. I have to assume they'll realize it's great, but maybe I'm just too far in dry, cerealy, Citra heaven. I hope this beer is released again.

4.76/5  rDev +18.7%
look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Citra Mantra, wow Mike Gerhart (? spelling) has tamed the hops. Badass label of him levitating with citra hop buds in each palm. Since his early days with DFH, this guy has been making solid beer but after the recent hoppy beers Otter Creek has released one of them being a collaboration with Lawson's. Unfiltered golden body slightly hazed bright white head perfect keller style pils appearance, but dip your nares into this one and a tropical hop explosion goes off in your senses. Think dank mary jane, tropical fruit notes (mango/passionfruit), and grapefruit peel with just raw hops a bit of biscuit toned pils malt for a touch of perceived sweetness. Dry purely raucous hop expression, bitterness leaves resinous oils on the palate, hops are just tattooed on the palate light brush of biscuit malts, but this is a true hop monster. Only 55 IBUs but I perceive more hop flavor and bitterness than many maltier DIPAs that report 100 IBUs. Carbonation is perfect dead on, one of the best IPLs I've come across thus far in the beer journeys. Sign me up for a case of hops!!! Citra Mantra!!!

4.75/5  rDev +18.5%

Couldn't get enough of this one. Superb frickin beer. I could re-up at the supermarket! Incredible.

4.69/5  rDev +17%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Pours a bright golden yellow with a decent white head into my glass. I was pleasantly surprised to find this as I hadn't already heard about it.

A good touch of citra hops upfront bring aromas of mango and grapefruit to the table. Very clean.

Crisp and delicious with a wonderful dollop of mango, grapefruit and fresh-cut grass. It's phenomenal!

Finishes with lingering grapefruit and grainy malt textures. I can't get enough of it.

Brewmaster Mike is on a roll with yet another great beer! If you loved Kind Ryed, you will probably enjoy Citra Mantra. Tasty, highly drinkable and I'll be on the lookout for a 12 pack if a such thing comes around!

Otter Creek Citra Mantra from Otter Creek Brewing / Wolaver's