Wolaver's Oatmeal Stout - Otter Creek Brewing / Wolaver's

Wolaver's Oatmeal StoutWolaver's Oatmeal Stout

Otter Creek Brewing / Wolaver's
Vermont, United States

Oatmeal Stout |  5.90% ABV

(Beer added by: Todd on 11-12-2003)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Wolaver's Oatmeal Stout Alström Bros

3.26/5  rDev -18.1%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

A - Looks like a perfectly normal stout to me. Nearly black with 2 fingers of bubbles that disappeared surprisingly fast (note to check glass next time)

S - I'm not great with stouts, but I didn't pick up much. Mostly the burnt coffee bitterness.

T - Follows the smell. Not really that impressive. Mostly bitterness without any nice flavors to take the edge off.

M - I thought it was pretty thin and unsubstantial.

O - Not sure if there was something wrong with this bottle or my palate has developed to favor the IPA's that I've been drinking for the past year. I've had some stouts that I loved (Founders), but this one falls flat for me.

3.33/5  rDev -16.3%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a guinness glass, a dark brown/near-black, with less than a finger of beige head. The smell was one of cocoa powder, caramel, oak, and nuts, and while the taste did confirm all of this, it was very, very subdued. Furthermore, I found the feel to be a little too thin for an oatmeal stout. Sessionable? Yes, but not strong enough of a flavor for me.

3.33/5  rDev -16.3%

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a pint glass.

Pours a nice dark brown, almost black opaque color with a thin tan head that settled very quickly. Minimal lacing.

Coffee, and a faint burnt caramel aroma with a lot of sweet malt.

Good for a stout, and organic to boot! Because it's organic, you just feel somewhat better about drinking it. If you're in to organically produced beers you might try Samuel Smith's Organically Produced Lager.

Lot's of burnt coffee flavors with a touch of caramelly sweetness.

Good beer, not a session beer though. Definitely best served not too cold.

3.35/5  rDev -15.8%

Not as opaque as a stout should be - more of a deep garnet color. Heavy aroma and flavor of roasted barley, but not the body or smoothness to back it up. Quite malty, but it's in the background. Would be much better as a brown ale if most of the roast and black barley was removed.

3.35/5  rDev -15.8%

Bottle thanks to Mark. Pours a dark brown color with a medium light-brown head. The aroma is very nice; loads of coffee, rich burnt malts, and lots of nutty notes. The flavor was also very good; up front coffee and rich chocolates, some roasted malts and a dry sweet finish. The oats and roasted flavors, along with the nice ABV add a real heft to this beer. Very nice. The only critique I have is it is a bit too thin. But very nice overall.

3.35/5  rDev -15.8%

It poured a very dark brown with red highlights when held up to the light. The beer poured with a tan single-finger head that left some lacing on the glass. It smells like roasted malts. The taste is a big smoky with some definite coffee and bitter chocolate characteristics with a little bit of a hoppy bite towards the end. It was very pleasant but I couldn't imagine having more than one at a time. I enjoyed this beer and I could see myself possibly picking it up again in the future.

3.38/5  rDev -15.1%

This is a decent outmeal stout, but by no means brilliant. It pours a very dark brown that won't let in much light through the glass, with a minimal head, hardly any lacing, and a watery rind as the beer warms. The smell is burnt malts, chocolate, and mostly coffee, actually lots of coffee. The beer is surprisingly watery, medium bodied, but not your thick consistency that I would have expected. The beer is somewhat tilted towards the malt end of the spectrum although the hops present themselves towards the finish. There aren't as many balancing hops in the body that I would have preferred. The taste is decidedly burnt malts, charred molasses, cold coffee, some cocoa. There is some complexity to this beer and a bit of dryness. The mouthfeel is a bit thin but there is an overlay of oilyness that adds to the beers complexity.

3.38/5  rDev -15.1%

Appearance- Opaque maple color. Pillowy tan head. Stubborn streaks of lace remain on the glass as the head dissipates.

Smell- Sweet, toasted malt, reminiscent of dark chocolate and caramel. Moderate alcohol presence in the nose.

Taste- Intricate, roasty malt profile. Low levels of carbonation. Smooth, but not creamy; it could definitely stand to be fuller-bodied. Delicately hopped; the hops leave a slight tingle in the aftertaste.

Verdict- Enjoyable flavors, but the mouthfeel is pretty thin. This would be a top oatmeal stout if the mouthfeel weren't so hollow.

3.38/5  rDev -15.1%

12 fl. oz., poured into a pint glass.

It’s been awhile since I’ve had a stout, so I’m really looking forward to try a new one. Besides, I have a few others in the beer fridge for backup, just in case this one disappoints; always have a Plan B. And a Plan C. And a Plan 9 (100 points if you caught that reference). Once more into the breach, as the saying goes…

A: Well, well, well, it certainly looks like a stout. It’s very dark brown, kind of like a cola, with a caramel head that takes up half the glass’ volume with an aggressive pour. The head lasts for more than two minutes before dissolving, and, oddly, leaving nothing on the side of the glass. I don’t know what to think about that.

S: I can smell it from two feet away. When I bring it up to my nose, though, I obviously like it more. It has those lovely smells that make a stout a stout – there’s coffee, there’s caramel, there’s dark chocolate, there’s roasted malt (well done, by the way), there’s oatmeal, and, almost hiding back there, there’s hops and orange. I’m starting to build up hope for this one…

T: Diving in – oh, man, fooled again. It’s watery. The 5.9% ABV should have been a dead giveaway. I have confirmation of all that I smelled, but the proportions aren’t all that good, and the wateriness is just too difficult to get past, especially when you’re looking for a beer with a little bit of ‘oomph’. If this beer were meat, it would be boiled beef, when you’re looking for a thick, juicy ribeye.

M: It’s watery. It’s light in body, which is strange for a stout. It’s very carbonated, which isn’t unusual. It’s tough on the palate, being watery when you want something that delights. The finish is watery. Okay, I’ve made my point with overuse of the word ‘watery’, but now you know what I’m feeling when I drink this this beer.

O: This beer walked like a duck, quacked like a duck, but couldn’t swim. That’s just not right, folks. This beer is Winona Ryder when you’re looking for Jennifer Lopez (or Jennifer Hudson, or Fergie, for that matter); it’s okay, but lacks the bam-boom-pow that you really want. Mercifully, I have a few really good stouts in the beer fridge; once again, Plan B proves to be a prudent course of action. Thanks for reading.

3.38/5  rDev -15.1%

Poured an almost headless dark brown/black body. Minimal lacing of glass. Scent is sweet and unremarkable. Taste is sweetened coffee, bready. Could use a lot more bittering to balance. The taste is further a bit acrid and very thin feeling on the palate. To reduce it to one word : "Meh".

3.4/5  rDev -14.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

Whoa, heavy on the roased oats. I really dont get much more ou of this beer in either smell or taste. Its good a what it does, but this isn a terribly complex beer. I tend not to like my oatmeal stouts in the bottle as much, as this example isnt as smooth. Maybe this would improve on nitro. I'd still prefer a Sammy Smith over this.

3.4/5  rDev -14.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pitch black colored beer with a rapidly fading head.Aroma is cocoa powder.Taste is chocolate,weak coffee,cola and some smoked malts.A decent beer that is a little weak on flavor and a bit watery on mouthfeel.Still this is something I would recommend to try at least once.I believe that I would purchase this again.

3.4/5  rDev -14.6%

Pours nearly black, with traces of brown that show up when held to the light. The head simply vanishes, giving this beer an appearance comparable to flat cola.

The aroma gives off the smell of burnt malts, and that's what I taste. It tastes like they went a touch too far with the roasting. The slick, viscous mouthfeel compensates for this defect.

I thought this beer was enjoyable, albeit somewhat flawed. Drinking the next five in the six pack won't be a chore, but it's also not something I'm eagerly anticipating.

3.43/5  rDev -13.8%

Pours a two-fingered white head that fades quickly to a ring leaving traces of lace. Deep amber nearly black color. Light carbonation and heavy bodied. Roasted coffee nose. Starts roasted/sweet coffee flavor, finish is almost a burnt coffee. $1.25 for a 12 oz bottle from Capital Convenience Concord, NH.

3.43/5  rDev -13.8%

Pours pitch black with a small white head, which fades quickly. Aroma is faint, mildly smoky, with hints of burnt coffee beans. The sourness I usually associated with oatmeal stouts is mildly present in the flavour, but well hidden. Flavour is relatively straightforward -- smoke, mild coffee, tangy but not overbearing hops. Mouthfeel's a little thin for the style, in my opinion. Tangy, bittersweet aftertaste.

3.43/5  rDev -13.8%

A:Black with some brown in there. Slightly mocha colored head with no lacing.

S: Coffee. caramel, roasted malt, bitterness.

T: Really sweet. The malt really dominates this beer. Everything else is drowned out.

M: A little on the thin side for my tastes. Carbonation is well done.

D: Nice normal stout. Fairly easy drinking. Nothing remarkable just a decent stout.

3.45/5  rDev -13.3%

Not quite opaque, a deep reddish-brown in the light. Thin head.

Smells nice, coffee, caramel, woodiness.

Taste doesn't really deliver though. Really has a coffee and tea thing going which I'm not really into. Also burnt, woody, and sweet flavors.

Mouthfeel thin for me, evokes old coffee. A smoother mouthfeel might have helped my impression of this quite a bit.

Drinkable, but fairly forgettable for me.

Wolaver's Oatmeal Stout from Otter Creek Brewing / Wolaver's