Wolaver's Oatmeal Stout - Otter Creek Brewing / Wolaver's

Wolaver's Oatmeal StoutWolaver's Oatmeal Stout

Otter Creek Brewing / Wolaver's
Vermont, United States

Oatmeal Stout |  5.90% ABV

(Beer added by: Todd on 11-12-2003)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Wolaver's Oatmeal Stout Alström Bros
3.93/5  rDev -1%

Upon pouring a deep tan head cascades atop the dark brown to black body with hints of deep ruby hues sitting at the foot of the glass. The head patiently dissipates to a thin, but sticky lacing that clings to the glass.

The aroma is very pleasant highlighted by roasted and sweet malt, sweet chocolate, possibly vanilla, and oats.

The palate is more roasted than sweet, but greatly reflective of the aroma. Very nice, traditional flavors for the style such as roasted malt, milk chocolate, and oats.

This is a smooth beer, medium in palate, and carbonation, perhaps just a touch creamy.

I really enjoyed this brew and it is certainly a winner in the oatmeal stout category. Not to mention, it seems to be very easy to find.

CHADMC3, Feb 22, 2010
3.45/5  rDev -13.1%

A: Pours a dark opaque color with some reddish brown hues when held up to the light. A very thin head that disappears quickly. I expected a stout to have a better head.

S: Lots of chocolate, coffee, roasted malt.

T: Mostly chocolate and coffee, with some alcohol mixed in. Not really strong, but not weak either.

M: Left a weird sort of aftertaste on the palate that I could not place. I was eating steak (cause I am a fat guy) so I do not think my meal affected the beer aftertaste.

D: The aftertaste that was left on my palate really did not make me want to have another. It could be me. The initial taste is pleasant but the lingering aftertaste was not, for me anyway.

IronCitySteve, Feb 18, 2010
3.85/5  rDev -3%

A: Red hues striking through a dark brown with a tan head and some lacing.

S: Strong smell of malts, chocolate, oats, and barley. Very nice.

T: Big roasted malt and coffee flavor. The oats are prevalent too. A chocolate bite at the end.

M: Kind of thin, but a nice smoothness to it.

D: Tasty and a low ABV, but nothing too special.

mostpoetsdo, Feb 17, 2010
3.55/5  rDev -10.6%

Pours dark brown to black with red highlights. There is a very small tan head. The aroma is chocolate and coffee. The flavor is coffee, chocolate and roasted malts. The aftertaste is coffee. The mouthfeel is a little bit on the thin side for the style and is not creamy as I expected. Low carbonation.

Mora2000, Feb 15, 2010
3.7/5  rDev -6.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 4

I found this beer at the bargain bin of my local beer store for 50 cents each! I had a hard time passing it up for that price, although it does make me suspicious...

Apperance - Almost opaque black. Head is kinda small and fizzy.

Smell - Alcohol, cocoa, coffee, vanilla, dates, and brown sugar.

Taste - An unusual coffee-like bitter beginning with husky, bittersweet aftertaste. Some chocolate and brown sugar in there somewhere as well.

Moutfeel - This is the low point of the beer. It's fizzy and thin for a stout.

Notes - The taste is somewhat bitterer than I expected out of an oatmeal stout, but not in a bad way. The problem, as I mentioned above, is the mouthfeel. Far too thin and carbonated. It's not as smooth as an oatmeal stout should be, either. Oh well. For fifty cents it was an outstanding deal, and I have no right to complain.

Fnord, Feb 15, 2010
2.65/5  rDev -33.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.5

i've been excited to try this beer since portia99 sent it. an organic oatmeal stout, that sounds amazing. alas, i was to be disappointed. perhaps this was an infected bottle. perhaps there is a percentage sour mash. either way, it does not work. it offends with its glowing amber highlights. an oatmeal stout i expect some nice body not a beer that seems to be worried about its weight. its an oatmeal stout on a diet with a little sour funk. i hope the funk is purposeful, regardless, i am not a fan. perhaps i will try this again. perhaps i will be saddened again.

olympuszymurgus, Feb 08, 2010
3.68/5  rDev -7.3%

A - poured into a pint glass. very dark, totally opaque unless held to the light where you can finally see some red & brown. no head to speak of.

S - chocolate malts, coffee beans

T - like the smell. Has the bitterness of cocoa and coffee, but not overwhelming; just about what you'd expect from the aroma.

M - medium to heavy body is about right. I want more creamy smooth texture in a low-gravity stout, though, especially an oatmeal stout. finish is somewhat dry; any stout should be stickier, even at 6%.

D - would make a great session beer. Kind of one-note, but it's a pleasant one with no major flaws that goes down nicely.

Richardberg, Feb 08, 2010
4.18/5  rDev +5.3%

Poured an attractive deep black with a small head that fades quickly. Smell is strong with a heavy dose of roasted coffee beans. Taste is the same, tons of roastiness with some bitter chocolate as well. Earthy hop undertones balance this one out nicely. I love the taste of the beer but could understand it being too much for others. Body is OK, not as thick as I would like, but not too thin to detract from the beer. Great taste plus average ABV= high drinkability. I pick up a 6er or two whenever I'm in vermont. A real standout in the Wolaver's line

dciBA, Jan 20, 2010
3.4/5  rDev -14.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pitch black colored beer with a rapidly fading head.Aroma is cocoa powder.Taste is chocolate,weak coffee,cola and some smoked malts.A decent beer that is a little weak on flavor and a bit watery on mouthfeel.Still this is something I would recommend to try at least once.I believe that I would purchase this again.

matty, Jan 18, 2010
3.48/5  rDev -12.3%

Poured from a 12-oz bottle into a long-stemmed tulip glass.
I really do *not* like the twist-off caps, particularly for a brand that takes such pride in being "organic" - as a homebrewer, Wolaver's thwarted my plans to reuse these bottles for my own brews (100% recyling!). But, that's neither here nor there. Onwards!

Appearance: Just about jet-black, with slight reddish transluence, and a thick, long-lasting head of creamy, caramel-tinted foam.

Smell: Overwhelming, dry powerof coffee, with underlying, but strongly perceptible vegetal notes (perhaps from the oatmeal)? Mostly you get dark roasted malts, with relatively little hops. If you let the beer warm some, the hops drop back, with the sweet smell of coffee becoming even more prominent, though the hops are always strongly there.

Mouthfeel: Slightly more watery than I would like, especially for an oatmeal stout, particularly on the finish. Still quite creamy though, and nicely effervescent - if you give it a quick turn-over in your mouth, it's quite a puffy treat. Still, though, the mouthfeel - and the lingering aftertaste I describe below - are my least favorite parts of the brew.

Taste: The coffee hits you first, again, with brute force, followed by the chocolate of the roasted malts. But this quickly gives way to quite a long, vegetal finish. Too long, if you ask me - at some point, you begin to wish your mouth would stop tasting like a fancy salad!
The hops in this aren't too perceptible in the aroma, but they certainly are in the taste. Not at all citrusy until perhaps the very dying warble of the "finishing notes." Quite "English" in flavor, for lack of a better way to put it. The finish is a bit dryer than I would like, as well.
As I let it warm, though, this beer grew on me. The hops backed off, and the dark malts took the forefront of the flavor. But the aftertaste remains. The beer remained too watery for me, even as it warms, but it definitely improves at "cellar temperature" or above.

Drinkability: The unpleasantely lingering vegetal flavors would put me off wanting to quaff this all night - in fact, after finishing this bottle off, I had a couple of quick glasses of water to help cleanse the palate. Not a very heavy or alcoholic beer, however, so I should say its drinkability is intermediate.

OVERALL:

8/10 (B)

Not one of my favorite beers, I'll admit. Overall, I wish this were creamier and sweeter, as you might expect of an oatmeal stout. I'd go for a nice Zyweic Porter or even a Turbodog before this were I trapped in a cabin on a dark, cold night and wanted something dark and hearty to cheer me up. But! Quite a good beer nonetheless, and quite a good price. If you like hoppy, drier dark ales, you would like this.

CormanoWild, Jan 12, 2010
4.1/5  rDev +3.3%

Got a 6-pack from Capone's bottle shop.. a little pricey at $11, but I was in an experimental mood I suppose.

First thing I noticed was the smell. From the bottle the smell was strong and inviting. The initial couple bottles were drank from a small round glass cup, and it helped accentuate the smell. Even Amy remarked how well it smelled.

Initially I was very impressed with the taste, though on subsequent evenings I was still happy with it, but not as ecstatic as the first night.

Amy tried to give one to Nate and Kaylie, who are really light bear / corona drinkers. It was pretty amusing to see their faces. Nate kept saying how good it tasted, but his face told a different story. They drank it from a bottle though, which I mentioned would not allow it to be smelled properly.

jasmith, Jan 05, 2010
2.68/5  rDev -32.5%

Reviewed from notes. Originally consumed 12/24.

A-Pours oil slick black with a white, two finger head.

S-Roasted and chocolate malt with a nice earthiness.

T-The roasted aspect is overwhelming with just a hint of a bittersweet chocolate finish.

M-Thin bodied with medium carbonation.

D-The roasted quality is just too much for me in this one. I tried this about 4 months ago and I figured a little age would mellow the coffee/roastiness. It didn't at all. I'd be hard pressed to try this again.

samie85, Jan 02, 2010
2.95/5  rDev -25.7%

12oz bottle poured into a Penn Pilsner glass, never tried this one before.

Wolaver's oatmeal stizzout looks light brown out of the bottle resembling a brown ale. Kind of thin looking for this style but it's no thing. Once in the glass it becomes a dark brown color with some mahagony/ruby red under some light. A cola like fizzing brown/tan cap reaches half an inch, no lacing, but a ring around the glass.

The smell is kind of bare, nothing really stands out. Cold, I get a big whiff of old watered down black coffee and minimal roast. Room temp some quaker oats straight from a fresh can pops up but the oatmeal is light. Im not really picking up any chocolate in this. A earthy pine like scent from some hops is abound.

Going off scent, I was not expecting a huge beer here and I did not get it. The taste is pretty minimal and does not pack enough oatiness from mornin breakfast. Under the "oats" some bland coffee with the roast there but a bit subdued. Chocolate is a afterthought and the hops although light make a small impression on the tounge. Some cola like tastes with grains and malts sweetness. On the end a bit of a sour finish that's noticable but it's not a hanging offense.

The feel is weak for a O. Stout. I would not even call it medium, it's approaching a bold light body. The carbonation is overused and is felt throughout the mouth. This is really fizzy and not butter smooth. This could stand to be a bit sweeter or something. Perhaps if the carb was down a few notches I may have enjoyed this more. Not a great aftertaste.

A nice low abv is always welcome, but at what cost, lesser flavor? Im glad i tried it but may not pick uo more of this. A oatmeal stout should be a bit sweet with some chocolate IMO and I got non of that. Im tired im going to bed.

BARFLYB, Dec 22, 2009
3.75/5  rDev -5.5%

Served overly cold, but free at Goodbar.

Awesome looking beer, with a midnight black body and a finger of tan head that leaft some damn fine lacing. Aroma of oats, mild coffee and tobacco is about right. Flavour is much the same and improves as it warms. Coffee, oat and smoke make for a nice mix. Nothing too complex, but nicely balanced and sessionable for a stout. The body, though, is a touch to light for the style, and errs towards thin.

A decent oatmeal stout that could be bumped up to the next level with a thicker, smoother body.

bobsy, Dec 20, 2009
4.13/5  rDev +4%

On tap in a pint glass at Flatbread in Canton. Complimenting a deliscious nitrate free pepperoni pizza perfectly. Tried side by side with my good buddies C-Note and Mikey Larse.

A - Hearty black body with a tan grainy head

S - Smoke and oats

T: Burnt oatmeal, bitter chocolate. Malty finish.

M - Thick, rich, creamy, hearty.

D - Solid oatmeal stout - I could drink a couple but I would get full pretty quickly.

DNICE555, Dec 18, 2009
4.33/5  rDev +9.1%

Poured 12oz bottle into a pint glass

Very dark ruby red when held up to the light. A one-inch light tan head quickly faded into a thin film with minimal lacing on the glass.

Smell has a nice roasty oatmeal smell, akin to fresh homemade bread.

Taste is a nice full roasted malt, oatmeal and some bitter chocolate. Very mildly hopped, typical for the style. Hops complement the roasted malts well. A smokey flavor carries long into the aftertaste.

Mouthfeel is good. Light to medium with moderate carbonation.

Drinkability is very good. I love how low the roasted flavors linger on the palate.

Don't skip this one due to fears of an organic brew being sub-par. This is a very good oatmeal stout and the best organic stout I've tried.

Ranbot, Dec 05, 2009
3.9/5  rDev -1.8%

Picked up a single at PHP in Brookline. Poured into a Great Divide Yeti glass. Very dark brown color. Nice looking tan head. Really aromatic smell of roasted barley. Taste was immense. Reminded me of an imperial oatmeal stout. Dark roasted barley and malt flavors abound. Really had that super oatmeal flavor to it. This is a great characteristic, but I wonder if they didn't overdo it by just a little too much. It's a smooth beer, but the flavor is really upfront and I am not sure if I would want several of these in one sitting. This stout is definitely a sipping beer. Paired nicely with a bowl of home-made beef chili. This is the second Wolaver's that I have had this month that has really impressed me with its intense flavor.

morebeergood, Nov 20, 2009
4.3/5  rDev +8.3%

A: Pours a deep, dark brown with ruby highlights, although not opaque. The tall, light tan head has a dense, frothy texture. Retention is solid, with several rings of foamy lace.

S: Dark roasted malts and molasses. Vibrant notes of chocolate chips and coffee beans. A considerably fruity nose as well - plums, figs, and raisins. A hint of leafy hops is also present in the background.

T: Firm roasted malts upfront. Hints of caramel. Big notes of semisweet chocolate and cocoa powder, with even stronger coffee bean characteristics. Notes of dark fruit - again, plums and raisins. A mild herbal/leafy hop bite adds some balance into the finish.

M: Fairly crisp and light-bodied for an oatmeal stout. Carbonation is mild, lending a pleasant creaminess. A somewhat acidic dryness into the finish.

D: I'm pretty impressed by this oatmeal stout. I wasn't sure what to expect from Wolaver's, but this is well-crafted beer all around. I'm digging the chocolate and coffee flavors working in tandem with a pleasantly fruity character. In all, a fresh, flavorful, and drinkable beer that is worth seeking out.

Clydesdale, Nov 20, 2009
3.33/5  rDev -16.1%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a guinness glass, a dark brown/near-black, with less than a finger of beige head. The smell was one of cocoa powder, caramel, oak, and nuts, and while the taste did confirm all of this, it was very, very subdued. Furthermore, I found the feel to be a little too thin for an oatmeal stout. Sessionable? Yes, but not strong enough of a flavor for me.

donniecuffs, Nov 13, 2009
3.68/5  rDev -7.3%

Poured into my Flying Fish pint glass, I can't say I remember where I got this!!!

A: Black and tan with small head
S: Smoke and oats
T: As the name implies, a classic roasted oatmeal scene with hints of a bitter chocolate
M: A very dry beer with hints of creaminess
D: Very good organic stout, goes down really well for a darker beer.

tjd112, Oct 27, 2009
4.05/5  rDev +2%

This guy gets a big stamp of stamp of approval from me, not least of all because it's a surprisingly good value. Pours a deep brown a small tan head. Has a fascinating sourness on the nose and palate that I enjoy immensely. The oatmeal element also shines through, loud and proud. There's something very raw and unrefined about this beer that keeps it from scoring in the stratosphere but makes it a very solid choice that I intend to revisit time and again.

droomyster, Oct 07, 2009
3.95/5  rDev -0.5%

I was excited to try this. Picked it up in Swansboro North Carolina (a single).

I was not impressed with the smell at all. However, when poured, into a glass, I was impressed with the nice dark color and lacing.

Wow, I loved the taste. Great full flavor, little carbonation. Very nice body. I could throw down a lot of these.

It is Organic, I guess.

righthereisay, Sep 26, 2009
4.4/5  rDev +10.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

The Wolaver's Oatmeal Stout pours an impenetrable black with a modest off-white head that dissipated rather quickly.

The aroma is actually quite interesting with notes of molasses, roasted malt and distant smoke.

As for the flavor, definite coffee, smoke and faint hops. There is a bitter finish that lingers, in a very good way. This beer has a smooth mouthfeel, not creamy but very drinkable.

I would rate this beer as a very good stout.

kindestcut, Sep 26, 2009
4.22/5  rDev +6.3%

A: Pours a dark brown, almost black color. At first a two finger beige head forms and gently recedes. Some light sticky lace is left behind.
S: At first an odd metallic/mineral aroma, but that quickly fades away as the beer warms up. Roasted malt, chocolate, toffee. Some smoke and oats as well. After the initial mineral aroma, this is really nice.
T: A big roasted malt flavor dominates. Slightly bitter chocolate and some sweet toffee. Lots of smoke and dry oats. I like this a lot.
M/D: A medium body and carbonation. A nice creaminess. Pretty easy and smooth to drink. I can quaff several of these with ease.

I like this beer. One of the best I have had from this brewery. Something I would recommend.

champ103, Sep 05, 2009
3.65/5  rDev -8.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

This pour looks more like a dark brown ale or porter than it does a stout. Red hues easily come through. Thin, sand colored head with little lacing. Doesn't look like a stout, but it still looks great in a shaped pint.

The aroma is like a fine, dark, bitter black coffee. It actually has more of a sharp aroma than a lot of RIS's I've had. Slight flowery hops linger behind.

Taste follows the aroma with some dark, bitter coffee, plus a hint of bittersweet chocolate. This beer has a light apperance and a strong nose, but the taste parrallels the appearance. Very dry, reminiscent of guinness, only with more bitterness. The bitterness seems to come from both the hops and the dark grain flavors, but are very prevalent because of how dry this beer is.

Mouthfeel is light bodied and dry, with only a slight oatmeal feel to it. This beer has enough flavor and an intense aroma that can keep me interested for a few pints. I'm surprised this beer weighs in at 5.9% abv, I would guess it was less than 5.

jeffthecheff, Aug 21, 2009