Wolaver's Oatmeal Stout - Otter Creek Brewing / Wolaver's

Wolaver's Oatmeal StoutWolaver's Oatmeal Stout

Otter Creek Brewing / Wolaver's
Vermont, United States

Oatmeal Stout |  5.90% ABV

(Beer added by: Todd on 11-12-2003)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Wolaver's Oatmeal Stout Alström Bros
4.3/5  rDev +8.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Appearance is classically stoutish. Small head, but it lingers plenty long. Nothing detractable here.

Aroma has strong toasted and nutty aromas. Roasted barley also present and enticing.

This is quite tasty, with creamy, nutty flavors surrounded by noticeable, yet well balanced roasted barley. The finish has a nice amount of bitterness, crisp and not rough.

Mouthfeel is OK, but I would prefer it to coat a little more, just because the flavors are so good, but don't last. Still this lends itself well to drinking more than one.

It isn't overwhelming and keeps me coming back for another pour. Very drinkable.

longarm, Dec 01, 2004
3.95/5  rDev -0.5%

I was excited to try this. Picked it up in Swansboro North Carolina (a single).

I was not impressed with the smell at all. However, when poured, into a glass, I was impressed with the nice dark color and lacing.

Wow, I loved the taste. Great full flavor, little carbonation. Very nice body. I could throw down a lot of these.

It is Organic, I guess.

righthereisay, Sep 26, 2009
4.6/5  rDev +15.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A - Pours an oily almost black color. Almost pitch black in the glass, only some slight browns around the edges. Brown head and nice lacing.

S - Wow, amazing. Smoky malts, Chocolates, Coffee, a creamy milk stout smell, and a good base of floral hops underneath. I want to smell like this beer.

T - A smoky earthy taste hit me up front, followed by pretty much everything I smelled. A slightly metallic aftertaste is the only thing keeping this from a 5.

M - Very nice, full, has the carbonation that some stouts lack, but is not overly carbonated.

D - Great session beer, keep them coming.

Wasn't sure about this one when I picked it up, when it comes to stouts I either love them or hate them, this one though is definitely a love. Great beer and has some elements to it that all stouts should strive for. Would love to see an aged version of this. I will be picking this one up again.

cottonkoozie, Sep 01, 2010
3.38/5  rDev -14.9%

12 fl. oz., poured into a pint glass.

It’s been awhile since I’ve had a stout, so I’m really looking forward to try a new one. Besides, I have a few others in the beer fridge for backup, just in case this one disappoints; always have a Plan B. And a Plan C. And a Plan 9 (100 points if you caught that reference). Once more into the breach, as the saying goes…

A: Well, well, well, it certainly looks like a stout. It’s very dark brown, kind of like a cola, with a caramel head that takes up half the glass’ volume with an aggressive pour. The head lasts for more than two minutes before dissolving, and, oddly, leaving nothing on the side of the glass. I don’t know what to think about that.

S: I can smell it from two feet away. When I bring it up to my nose, though, I obviously like it more. It has those lovely smells that make a stout a stout – there’s coffee, there’s caramel, there’s dark chocolate, there’s roasted malt (well done, by the way), there’s oatmeal, and, almost hiding back there, there’s hops and orange. I’m starting to build up hope for this one…

T: Diving in – oh, man, fooled again. It’s watery. The 5.9% ABV should have been a dead giveaway. I have confirmation of all that I smelled, but the proportions aren’t all that good, and the wateriness is just too difficult to get past, especially when you’re looking for a beer with a little bit of ‘oomph’. If this beer were meat, it would be boiled beef, when you’re looking for a thick, juicy ribeye.

M: It’s watery. It’s light in body, which is strange for a stout. It’s very carbonated, which isn’t unusual. It’s tough on the palate, being watery when you want something that delights. The finish is watery. Okay, I’ve made my point with overuse of the word ‘watery’, but now you know what I’m feeling when I drink this this beer.

O: This beer walked like a duck, quacked like a duck, but couldn’t swim. That’s just not right, folks. This beer is Winona Ryder when you’re looking for Jennifer Lopez (or Jennifer Hudson, or Fergie, for that matter); it’s okay, but lacks the bam-boom-pow that you really want. Mercifully, I have a few really good stouts in the beer fridge; once again, Plan B proves to be a prudent course of action. Thanks for reading.

bogus564, Feb 04, 2012
3.73/5  rDev -6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

App: Dark brownish black with light tan head decent lacing.

Smell: coffee, oats, hops

Taste: RIch oaty taste, like oatmeal with coffee and a roasted nutty taste

Mouthfeel: light/medium with little carbonation and smooth all the way down.

drinkablity: Smooth for an oat stout, pretty tasty.

abents, Mar 25, 2004
4.15/5  rDev +4.5%

Pitch black, layer of tan head hangs around on top of the brew for most of the glass, good lacing. Strong chocolate smell, faint coffee and cherry, macadamia nuts. Slight coffee bitterness in the taste, very malt forward brew with a great balance of nuttiness and bakers chocolate with a hint of sweetness, no alcohol noticeable in aroma or taste. Smooth textured and creamy with perfect carbonation and medium body, definitely one of the better oatmeal stouts I've had.

jsdunlop, Nov 10, 2010

beerasaurusrex, Feb 04, 2014
4.65/5  rDev +17.1%

I've had Wolaver's Brown Ale and wasn't that impressed but I thought I'd give the oatmeal stout a chance. Poured a thick opaque black color with a dense and coarse tan head that rose quickly after the pour. Head dissipated but left an attractive tan ribbon. Good lacing too. Great aromas of dark chocolate, lots of roasted coffee beans and some noticeable hops. Awesome flavors of coffee, chocolate, coffee, a touch of hops, and roasted barley. Coffee is the dominant flavor here and it's done very well. A great offering from Wolaver's.

lehows, Feb 05, 2007

3.5/5  rDev -11.8%

jamesewelch, Oct 17, 2012

nafredet1, Jan 02, 2013
4.18/5  rDev +5.3%

A - Pours from a bottle into a stein with a deep ruby/black opaque body. Less head than I expected, 1 finger that quickly receded. Good lacing, but again, expected more lacing.

S - Alcohol, nut, a little roasted coffee. Tasty smell, very strong smell overall from the pop of the cap to the pour.

T - Very similar taste to the smell. A little more coffee in the taste than the smell. Very balanced, gives a lot of bitter after taste but fades after a few seconds. Good taste overall, very appealing and complex.

MF - Light for a stout. Compliments the flavor well.

D - The complex flavor and the relatively light mouthfeel makes it a great drinking stout.

MikeBrandman, Apr 09, 2010
4.75/5  rDev +19.6%

GuyIncognito, Sep 16, 2012
3.83/5  rDev -3.5%

Pored into pint glass from bottle.

A- Night black with a creamy head that remained til the end.

S- Deep roasted malt with alittle chocolate underneath.

T- At first, I tasted the oatmeal, but soon felt the malt take over.

M- Creamy smooth, almost nitro-like with a lite boozy feel on the tongue. I let each sip linger because I was really enjoying this beer.

D- I would get this beer again. My buddy got this for me and I was not crazy about stouts, but it won me over.

mobud, Mar 29, 2007

DrewBest, Feb 22, 2013
4.5/5  rDev +13.4%

scmoore81, Apr 19, 2013

brocktune, Jul 08, 2014
4.68/5  rDev +17.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A two month old sample. Not as dark as expected. More of a dark brown. A few big bubbles mixed in with many tiny fine bubbles. Smells like a sweet mocha iced coffee with floral hop edges. Subtle mellow aroma. Mellow roast flavor with hints of dark chocolate cocoa and lesser hints of dark fruit. Dried plums, figs and raisins. Bittering hops give a quick finish. The roast flavor comes back with the next sip. Velvety, luscious mouthfeel leaving a very slight powdery feel on the tongue. High drinkability. Many organic brews are a gimmick. Wolaver's is the real deal. A must try.

mshallah, Jun 01, 2007
3.5/5  rDev -11.8%

mckowned, Mar 09, 2013
3.38/5  rDev -14.9%

Appearance- Opaque maple color. Pillowy tan head. Stubborn streaks of lace remain on the glass as the head dissipates.

Smell- Sweet, toasted malt, reminiscent of dark chocolate and caramel. Moderate alcohol presence in the nose.

Taste- Intricate, roasty malt profile. Low levels of carbonation. Smooth, but not creamy; it could definitely stand to be fuller-bodied. Delicately hopped; the hops leave a slight tingle in the aftertaste.

Verdict- Enjoyable flavors, but the mouthfeel is pretty thin. This would be a top oatmeal stout if the mouthfeel weren't so hollow.

bearrunner44, Jan 23, 2006
3.7/5  rDev -6.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 4

I found this beer at the bargain bin of my local beer store for 50 cents each! I had a hard time passing it up for that price, although it does make me suspicious...

Apperance - Almost opaque black. Head is kinda small and fizzy.

Smell - Alcohol, cocoa, coffee, vanilla, dates, and brown sugar.

Taste - An unusual coffee-like bitter beginning with husky, bittersweet aftertaste. Some chocolate and brown sugar in there somewhere as well.

Moutfeel - This is the low point of the beer. It's fizzy and thin for a stout.

Notes - The taste is somewhat bitterer than I expected out of an oatmeal stout, but not in a bad way. The problem, as I mentioned above, is the mouthfeel. Far too thin and carbonated. It's not as smooth as an oatmeal stout should be, either. Oh well. For fifty cents it was an outstanding deal, and I have no right to complain.

Fnord, Feb 15, 2010

A: It pours a deep, deep brown, almost black. One finger of tan foam and soap bubbles. Decent head retention and excellent lacing.

S: Roasted malts, chocolate, leather.

T: The taste is malty and smooth with chocolate and sweet malts up front, balanced by slight coffee bitterness mid-palate, and a slightly dry finish.

M: The mouthfeel is rich, thick, and creamy.

O: This is a fine stout and a very good style example.

Boppar, Sep 10, 2011