Wolaver's Oatmeal Stout - Otter Creek Brewing / Wolaver's

Otter Creek Brewing / Wolaver's
Vermont, United States

Oatmeal Stout |  5.40% ABV

Beer added by: Todd on 11-12-2003

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 945 | Reviews: 402
4.32/5  rDev +8.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured into pint glass.

A: Pours a near-black that only shows off its reddish-brown edges when held near the light. Not much head to speak of, and it quickly became a thin foam blanket and a few big bubbles.

S: Pronounced burnt/roasted grain up front with some dark, bitter chocolate underneath that. Some walnut and a hint of dark coffee.

T/M: Roasted grain up front, with a small amount of black coffee. I'm not picking up any chocolate, though it was definitely in the aroma. Balanced with a hoppiness that's part bitter, part citric, part piney/earthy. Finish is long, burnt, and has a nice light bitterness to it. Mouthfeel is silky, smooth, creamy-feeling, and is just a few tingly bubbles away from being the ideal oatmeal stout mouthfeel.

D: A beer I can get excited about considering how easy it is for me to get. It's certainly easier to get than my preferred oatmeal stout (Anderson Valley's Barney Flats), so I can see adding this to my routine. It's a pretty bold beer, big on flavor and easy to put away. Yeah, I'll have another, please. Really, really nice beer.

4.05/5  rDev +1.8%

a: minimal head covering a black brew.

s: Soft chocalately aroma, caramel and maybe toasted marshmallows.

t: toasty flavors with smoke late.

m: smooth with a little tanginess on the tongue - with a slight dry feeling on the finish.

o: This used to be a favorite - but now that I sit and try to rate it critically I am not sure why. It is a good brew - but it is not outstanding. I certainly won't turn one down - but I am going in search of a replacement in this category.

Edit : I had this again tonight and man is it awesome. I may have had a bad bottle when I did my previous review. I am amending the taste description and score.

t: nice malted taste with bitter coffee throughout. This is a great stout taste even cold (the flavors are present without warming up). The coffee flavor is very nice and goes down easily.
Old taste score = 3.75
new taste score = 4.25

3.77/5  rDev -5.3%

A good, dry stout. Pours a very dark brown, but still reddish and not totally dark, with a very thin head and minimal lace.

Nice coffee aroma. Real fresh coffee bean scent here, with roasted malts displayed prominently.

Real full-flavored coffee taste. Sweet cappuchino flavors. A real great stout taste, a superb rendition of the oatmeal variety. Sweet and yet bitter at the end, leafy earthy hop flavor at the tail end. Very well balanced.

A little chewy and oily at the end, with some tight carbonation. Good beer, I could have two or three at a time, then move on to something a bit lighter.

4.85/5  rDev +21.9%

This is by far the best beer I have ever had in my entire life. I for sure haven't had every beer in the world, but so far this is the winner. Color is a black as could be. Smell is amazing, smells malty and smooth just like a stout should smell. Taste is out of the world, so smooth, so creamy, so malty, so GOOD! And of course it's drinkable, how couldn't it be with it tasting that good? I don't know what else to say 10/10!

4.5/5  rDev +13.1%

4.5/5  rDev +13.1%

4.08/5  rDev +2.5%

4.02/5  rDev +1%

An organic Oatmeal Stout. Good for the environment as well as my taste buds. It's packaged in a 12oz brown bottle, with the date 08/22/07 stamped on it.

Pours into a Cognac glass inky black and syrupy thick. The head is a finger thick before wearing down to a sticky lace. Smells nice and roasted with a little bit of spice.

Roasted grains, molasses, coffee, pine or mint, and even a spritz of lemon at the end. I like how the hops (the lemon) make an appearance in the flavor profile. Weighs thick on the tongue but not overly filling.

This was my first taste of an organic beer and I am quite pleased. I can tell some good quality ingredients were used. I would surely try it again.

3.95/5  rDev -0.8%

4.28/5  rDev +7.5%

From a 12 oz bottle, poured a pitch-black, motor-oil color with a solid foam tan head ... the last bits dripped from the lip of the bottle with the black gold melting into the big head without a trace. The aroma is a dessert-like heaven ... fudge-like chocolate, bit of espresso heat. The first swig is a nice delivery of toasty coffee. As it warms, the dark, bitter chocolate comes through the java more assertively, but this is still a roasty, toasty cup of cold Colombian coffee ... (#2679, 2/3/07)

3.5/5  rDev -12.1%

3.88/5  rDev -2.5%

A - Deep brown (almost pure black) with some brown-amber hints to it. Tan head that dissipates quickly.

S - Sweet coffee and bitter chocolate. Undertones of molasses and roasted malts. I also get some notes of greek olives - yikes - but that might just be the bitter hops coming into play more I thought. Not picking up a lot of oatmeal, in fact.

T - Sweet and smooth, almost like drinking a coffee and Bailey's. Definitely get more of a oat flavor when it hits the tongue, and plenty of bittering hops at the end: think bitter dark chocolate again.

M - Just a touch of carbonation makes for a smooth and creamy mouthfeel. A bit thin for a stout, but that's what makes it drinkable.

O - This is a nice effort from Wolaver's - I'm a big fan of dark chocolate and smooth roasted coffee, so this appeals to my tastes. But more broadly, I think it is a good sample of this style - balanced sweet with a bitter finish gives plenty of complexity without leaving you full.

4.39/5  rDev +10.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

The Wolaver's Oatmeal Stout pours an impenetrable black with a modest off-white head that dissipated rather quickly.

The aroma is actually quite interesting with notes of molasses, roasted malt and distant smoke.

As for the flavor, definite coffee, smoke and faint hops. There is a bitter finish that lingers, in a very good way. This beer has a smooth mouthfeel, not creamy but very drinkable.

I would rate this beer as a very good stout.

3.25/5  rDev -18.3%

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Wolaver's Oatmeal Stout from Otter Creek Brewing / Wolaver's