Wolaver's Oatmeal Stout - Otter Creek Brewing / Wolaver's

Wolaver's Oatmeal StoutWolaver's Oatmeal Stout

Otter Creek Brewing / Wolaver's
Vermont, United States

Oatmeal Stout |  5.90% ABV

(Beer added by: Todd on 11-12-2003)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Wolaver's Oatmeal Stout Alström Bros
CormanoWild

3.48/5  rDev -12.3%

Poured from a 12-oz bottle into a long-stemmed tulip glass.
I really do *not* like the twist-off caps, particularly for a brand that takes such pride in being "organic" - as a homebrewer, Wolaver's thwarted my plans to reuse these bottles for my own brews (100% recyling!). But, that's neither here nor there. Onwards!

Appearance: Just about jet-black, with slight reddish transluence, and a thick, long-lasting head of creamy, caramel-tinted foam.

Smell: Overwhelming, dry powerof coffee, with underlying, but strongly perceptible vegetal notes (perhaps from the oatmeal)? Mostly you get dark roasted malts, with relatively little hops. If you let the beer warm some, the hops drop back, with the sweet smell of coffee becoming even more prominent, though the hops are always strongly there.

Mouthfeel: Slightly more watery than I would like, especially for an oatmeal stout, particularly on the finish. Still quite creamy though, and nicely effervescent - if you give it a quick turn-over in your mouth, it's quite a puffy treat. Still, though, the mouthfeel - and the lingering aftertaste I describe below - are my least favorite parts of the brew.

Taste: The coffee hits you first, again, with brute force, followed by the chocolate of the roasted malts. But this quickly gives way to quite a long, vegetal finish. Too long, if you ask me - at some point, you begin to wish your mouth would stop tasting like a fancy salad!
The hops in this aren't too perceptible in the aroma, but they certainly are in the taste. Not at all citrusy until perhaps the very dying warble of the "finishing notes." Quite "English" in flavor, for lack of a better way to put it. The finish is a bit dryer than I would like, as well.
As I let it warm, though, this beer grew on me. The hops backed off, and the dark malts took the forefront of the flavor. But the aftertaste remains. The beer remained too watery for me, even as it warms, but it definitely improves at "cellar temperature" or above.

Drinkability: The unpleasantely lingering vegetal flavors would put me off wanting to quaff this all night - in fact, after finishing this bottle off, I had a couple of quick glasses of water to help cleanse the palate. Not a very heavy or alcoholic beer, however, so I should say its drinkability is intermediate.

OVERALL:

8/10 (B)

Not one of my favorite beers, I'll admit. Overall, I wish this were creamier and sweeter, as you might expect of an oatmeal stout. I'd go for a nice Zyweic Porter or even a Turbodog before this were I trapped in a cabin on a dark, cold night and wanted something dark and hearty to cheer me up. But! Quite a good beer nonetheless, and quite a good price. If you like hoppy, drier dark ales, you would like this.

01-12-2010 19:27:12 | More by CormanoWild
jasmith

4.1/5  rDev +3.3%

Got a 6-pack from Capone's bottle shop.. a little pricey at $11, but I was in an experimental mood I suppose.

First thing I noticed was the smell. From the bottle the smell was strong and inviting. The initial couple bottles were drank from a small round glass cup, and it helped accentuate the smell. Even Amy remarked how well it smelled.

Initially I was very impressed with the taste, though on subsequent evenings I was still happy with it, but not as ecstatic as the first night.

Amy tried to give one to Nate and Kaylie, who are really light bear / corona drinkers. It was pretty amusing to see their faces. Nate kept saying how good it tasted, but his face told a different story. They drank it from a bottle though, which I mentioned would not allow it to be smelled properly.

01-05-2010 03:38:06 | More by jasmith
samie85

2.68/5  rDev -32.5%

Reviewed from notes. Originally consumed 12/24.

A-Pours oil slick black with a white, two finger head.

S-Roasted and chocolate malt with a nice earthiness.

T-The roasted aspect is overwhelming with just a hint of a bittersweet chocolate finish.

M-Thin bodied with medium carbonation.

D-The roasted quality is just too much for me in this one. I tried this about 4 months ago and I figured a little age would mellow the coffee/roastiness. It didn't at all. I'd be hard pressed to try this again.

01-02-2010 23:00:31 | More by samie85
BARFLYB

2.95/5  rDev -25.7%

12oz bottle poured into a Penn Pilsner glass, never tried this one before.

Wolaver's oatmeal stizzout looks light brown out of the bottle resembling a brown ale. Kind of thin looking for this style but it's no thing. Once in the glass it becomes a dark brown color with some mahagony/ruby red under some light. A cola like fizzing brown/tan cap reaches half an inch, no lacing, but a ring around the glass.

The smell is kind of bare, nothing really stands out. Cold, I get a big whiff of old watered down black coffee and minimal roast. Room temp some quaker oats straight from a fresh can pops up but the oatmeal is light. Im not really picking up any chocolate in this. A earthy pine like scent from some hops is abound.

Going off scent, I was not expecting a huge beer here and I did not get it. The taste is pretty minimal and does not pack enough oatiness from mornin breakfast. Under the "oats" some bland coffee with the roast there but a bit subdued. Chocolate is a afterthought and the hops although light make a small impression on the tounge. Some cola like tastes with grains and malts sweetness. On the end a bit of a sour finish that's noticable but it's not a hanging offense.

The feel is weak for a O. Stout. I would not even call it medium, it's approaching a bold light body. The carbonation is overused and is felt throughout the mouth. This is really fizzy and not butter smooth. This could stand to be a bit sweeter or something. Perhaps if the carb was down a few notches I may have enjoyed this more. Not a great aftertaste.

A nice low abv is always welcome, but at what cost, lesser flavor? Im glad i tried it but may not pick uo more of this. A oatmeal stout should be a bit sweet with some chocolate IMO and I got non of that. Im tired im going to bed.

12-22-2009 04:08:36 | More by BARFLYB
bobsy

Ontario (Canada)

3.75/5  rDev -5.5%

Served overly cold, but free at Goodbar.

Awesome looking beer, with a midnight black body and a finger of tan head that leaft some damn fine lacing. Aroma of oats, mild coffee and tobacco is about right. Flavour is much the same and improves as it warms. Coffee, oat and smoke make for a nice mix. Nothing too complex, but nicely balanced and sessionable for a stout. The body, though, is a touch to light for the style, and errs towards thin.

A decent oatmeal stout that could be bumped up to the next level with a thicker, smoother body.

12-20-2009 15:13:31 | More by bobsy
DNICE555

4.13/5  rDev +4%

On tap in a pint glass at Flatbread in Canton. Complimenting a deliscious nitrate free pepperoni pizza perfectly. Tried side by side with my good buddies C-Note and Mikey Larse.

A - Hearty black body with a tan grainy head

S - Smoke and oats

T: Burnt oatmeal, bitter chocolate. Malty finish.

M - Thick, rich, creamy, hearty.

D - Solid oatmeal stout - I could drink a couple but I would get full pretty quickly.

12-18-2009 16:43:28 | More by DNICE555
Ranbot

4.33/5  rDev +9.1%

Poured 12oz bottle into a pint glass

Very dark ruby red when held up to the light. A one-inch light tan head quickly faded into a thin film with minimal lacing on the glass.

Smell has a nice roasty oatmeal smell, akin to fresh homemade bread.

Taste is a nice full roasted malt, oatmeal and some bitter chocolate. Very mildly hopped, typical for the style. Hops complement the roasted malts well. A smokey flavor carries long into the aftertaste.

Mouthfeel is good. Light to medium with moderate carbonation.

Drinkability is very good. I love how low the roasted flavors linger on the palate.

Don't skip this one due to fears of an organic brew being sub-par. This is a very good oatmeal stout and the best organic stout I've tried.

12-05-2009 02:23:34 | More by Ranbot
morebeergood

3.9/5  rDev -1.8%

Picked up a single at PHP in Brookline. Poured into a Great Divide Yeti glass. Very dark brown color. Nice looking tan head. Really aromatic smell of roasted barley. Taste was immense. Reminded me of an imperial oatmeal stout. Dark roasted barley and malt flavors abound. Really had that super oatmeal flavor to it. This is a great characteristic, but I wonder if they didn't overdo it by just a little too much. It's a smooth beer, but the flavor is really upfront and I am not sure if I would want several of these in one sitting. This stout is definitely a sipping beer. Paired nicely with a bowl of home-made beef chili. This is the second Wolaver's that I have had this month that has really impressed me with its intense flavor.

11-20-2009 18:48:02 | More by morebeergood
Clydesdale

District of Columbia

4.3/5  rDev +8.3%

A: Pours a deep, dark brown with ruby highlights, although not opaque. The tall, light tan head has a dense, frothy texture. Retention is solid, with several rings of foamy lace.

S: Dark roasted malts and molasses. Vibrant notes of chocolate chips and coffee beans. A considerably fruity nose as well - plums, figs, and raisins. A hint of leafy hops is also present in the background.

T: Firm roasted malts upfront. Hints of caramel. Big notes of semisweet chocolate and cocoa powder, with even stronger coffee bean characteristics. Notes of dark fruit - again, plums and raisins. A mild herbal/leafy hop bite adds some balance into the finish.

M: Fairly crisp and light-bodied for an oatmeal stout. Carbonation is mild, lending a pleasant creaminess. A somewhat acidic dryness into the finish.

D: I'm pretty impressed by this oatmeal stout. I wasn't sure what to expect from Wolaver's, but this is well-crafted beer all around. I'm digging the chocolate and coffee flavors working in tandem with a pleasantly fruity character. In all, a fresh, flavorful, and drinkable beer that is worth seeking out.

11-20-2009 03:39:43 | More by Clydesdale
donniecuffs

3.33/5  rDev -16.1%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a guinness glass, a dark brown/near-black, with less than a finger of beige head. The smell was one of cocoa powder, caramel, oak, and nuts, and while the taste did confirm all of this, it was very, very subdued. Furthermore, I found the feel to be a little too thin for an oatmeal stout. Sessionable? Yes, but not strong enough of a flavor for me.

11-13-2009 20:35:58 | More by donniecuffs
tjd112

3.68/5  rDev -7.3%

Poured into my Flying Fish pint glass, I can't say I remember where I got this!!!

A: Black and tan with small head
S: Smoke and oats
T: As the name implies, a classic roasted oatmeal scene with hints of a bitter chocolate
M: A very dry beer with hints of creaminess
D: Very good organic stout, goes down really well for a darker beer.

10-27-2009 04:26:23 | More by tjd112
droomyster

4.05/5  rDev +2%

This guy gets a big stamp of stamp of approval from me, not least of all because it's a surprisingly good value. Pours a deep brown a small tan head. Has a fascinating sourness on the nose and palate that I enjoy immensely. The oatmeal element also shines through, loud and proud. There's something very raw and unrefined about this beer that keeps it from scoring in the stratosphere but makes it a very solid choice that I intend to revisit time and again.

10-07-2009 21:28:59 | More by droomyster
righthereisay

3.95/5  rDev -0.5%

I was excited to try this. Picked it up in Swansboro North Carolina (a single).

I was not impressed with the smell at all. However, when poured, into a glass, I was impressed with the nice dark color and lacing.

Wow, I loved the taste. Great full flavor, little carbonation. Very nice body. I could throw down a lot of these.

It is Organic, I guess.

09-26-2009 20:18:41 | More by righthereisay
kindestcut

4.4/5  rDev +10.8%

The Wolaver's Oatmeal Stout pours an impenetrable black with a modest off-white head that dissipated rather quickly.

The aroma is actually quite interesting with notes of molasses, roasted malt and distant smoke.

As for the flavor, definite coffee, smoke and faint hops. There is a bitter finish that lingers, in a very good way. This beer has a smooth mouthfeel, not creamy but very drinkable.

I would rate this beer as a very good stout.

09-26-2009 02:48:45 | More by kindestcut
champ103

4.22/5  rDev +6.3%

A: Pours a dark brown, almost black color. At first a two finger beige head forms and gently recedes. Some light sticky lace is left behind.
S: At first an odd metallic/mineral aroma, but that quickly fades away as the beer warms up. Roasted malt, chocolate, toffee. Some smoke and oats as well. After the initial mineral aroma, this is really nice.
T: A big roasted malt flavor dominates. Slightly bitter chocolate and some sweet toffee. Lots of smoke and dry oats. I like this a lot.
M/D: A medium body and carbonation. A nice creaminess. Pretty easy and smooth to drink. I can quaff several of these with ease.

I like this beer. One of the best I have had from this brewery. Something I would recommend.

09-05-2009 19:54:05 | More by champ103
jeffthecheff

3.65/5  rDev -8.1%

This pour looks more like a dark brown ale or porter than it does a stout. Red hues easily come through. Thin, sand colored head with little lacing. Doesn't look like a stout, but it still looks great in a shaped pint.

The aroma is like a fine, dark, bitter black coffee. It actually has more of a sharp aroma than a lot of RIS's I've had. Slight flowery hops linger behind.

Taste follows the aroma with some dark, bitter coffee, plus a hint of bittersweet chocolate. This beer has a light apperance and a strong nose, but the taste parrallels the appearance. Very dry, reminiscent of guinness, only with more bitterness. The bitterness seems to come from both the hops and the dark grain flavors, but are very prevalent because of how dry this beer is.

Mouthfeel is light bodied and dry, with only a slight oatmeal feel to it. This beer has enough flavor and an intense aroma that can keep me interested for a few pints. I'm surprised this beer weighs in at 5.9% abv, I would guess it was less than 5.

08-21-2009 02:17:14 | More by jeffthecheff
Bung

4.08/5  rDev +2.8%

12 oz. Dark brown pour, not real opaque. Pleasant roast malt aroma, some chocolates. Body is fuller than the appearance would lend one to believe. Solid medium body, with the creamy oatmeal or rye like body. Body reminds me a bit of the Left Hand Terra-Ryzed. Taste is nicely balanced malt, coffee and chocolate. 5.9% abv?, would not assume it is even that high. Pleasant drinker. Definetely one of the best organic stouts and brews period I've had.

08-15-2009 03:35:50 | More by Bung
Onenote81

3.03/5  rDev -23.7%

This beer pours a jet black with a big frothy tan head on top. Decent retention leaves some lacing, not much though. Smells like grains, chocolate, booze, and minerals.

The mouth is a tad thin; I prefer a little more depth in my stouts. Creamy, as an oatmeal stout should be. The flavor on this one is a bit off. It's got some roasty chocolate flavors present, but it finishes tart and sour. Slightly bready, but there's a weird metallic twang in there that I am not digging. I had higher hopes for this beer, as this is one of my favorite styles, but this fell short.

08-08-2009 05:10:18 | More by Onenote81
mwa423

4.2/5  rDev +5.8%

A - Aggressive pour gives off a small off white head, dark brown color and no light makes it through.

S - Strong smell that fills the nose, pleasing in every way.

T - Rich malty flavor, lots of chocolate and also very boozy.

M - Very thick, coats the tongue and is exceptionally smooth.

D - As drinkable as an oatmeal stout can possibly be

06-06-2009 18:28:37 | More by mwa423
nate4g63

4.05/5  rDev +2%

A = Pretty typical for a stout. Nice and dark and I see no light getting through. Nice off-white creamy head.

S = First time for an oatmeal stout for me. Definite oat smell with a little burnt chocolate smell, or maybe dark chocolate. My allergies suck right now so it's hard to smell sometimes.

T = I'm a huge fan. Love the oaty/coffee taste. I don't seem to find too much of a chocolate or cocoa taste, not too bitter but not too soft.

M = Pretty creamy feeling but actually pretty light overall.

D = I think it's very drinkable. Not real thick like other stouts so its a good drinker. I will most likely keep this on hand as often as I can.

06-01-2009 14:53:08 | More by nate4g63
demcorhip

Ontario (Canada)

3.6/5  rDev -9.3%

Quite clear, dark garnet hued brew. Decent enough one finger pale tan head on the pour. Nothing special as far as retention goes. Quite finely and mildly carbonated.

Grainy oatmeal, some richer hints of caramel and nougat, as well a char that deepens into an almost acrid note. Interesting.

Actually almost light on the roasted flavours, they hint at dark chocolate and burnt coffee, in a good enough way. Almost musty grains with a dose of oats provide the main experience. Finishes with a mild touch of acrid char and some leafy earthiness from the hops.

Strangely watery yet thick bodied, smooth yet not quite velvety. A solid, middle of the road approach to the style with fairly mild use of roasted malts.

But certainly drinkable. Sessionable. A good enough example of the style, and certainly approachable. Im glad to have had a chance to try this thanks to the awesomeness of Papat444 in CanBif 5...

05-23-2009 21:44:10 | More by demcorhip
allengarvin

3.88/5  rDev -2.3%

This is a quite dark stout with a smallish off-white head. The aroma presents notes of lightly roasted coffee. Nice malty flavor, a blend of very lightly roast and smooth milk chocolate (but not too chocolaty). The body is a little watery, but silky smooth.

A nicely designed oatmeal stout, which is style few brewers seem attracted to these days.

05-19-2009 02:55:15 | More by allengarvin
Bartrob6

3.58/5  rDev -9.8%

poured into a pint glass on tap at soul infusion in sylva, nc.

black beer. can't see through this thing. extremely tiny head. i have to try hard to see it.

aroma is of roasted malts and some coffee. but definitely not a strong aroma.

tastes good with a nice balance of roasted malts, and awesome creamy mouthfeel that compliments the taste.

very drinkable stout. the oatmeal is what makes this beer as nice as it is, in my opinion.

05-06-2009 20:41:17 | More by Bartrob6
ThaBobfather

Pours opaque near black with millimeter whispy brown/beige head.
Smells like fresh brewed coffee with a bit of roasted malt hidden in there.
Like drinking iced coffee from Starbucks. Some sweet malt in front with a strong ground coffee finish.
A sweet flavor of expresso stays with me.
Mildly drinkable, sometimes the coffee flavor is too much.

04-18-2009 18:51:50 | More by ThaBobfather
nms1987

4.38/5  rDev +10.3%

Black or dark ruby body with beige head. Looks like a stout. Shocking.

Very pleasant smelling beer. Same notes as most other stouts.. vaugely chocolate and coffee. Again, smells like a stout. Maybe a little licorice and english hops too.
Smells great.

I'm not big on organics in general, esp beers, so I'm not sure about how this will taste but it was highly recommended to me and it smells great... here goes...

WOW. Thats delicious. I love Oatmeal Stouts and this is a good one. Rich taste, slightly sweet. I'm eating some pirolines (chocolate and wafer cookies) right now and its a great pairing.
Actually tastes a little like Bell's Kalamazoo, despite that not being an oat stout. Just an edge of grassy hops to keep things in check at the end, but they aren't what this beer is about.
Perfect balance, really rich.

Mouthfeel is fine, maybe a little thin but no complaints.

Drinkability?
It tastes great enough that I'm almost out of this beer already. I'm not even trying to down it.. its just really good

03-16-2009 02:34:59 | More by nms1987