2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Wolaver's Oatmeal Stout - Otter Creek Brewing / Wolaver's

Wolaver's Oatmeal StoutWolaver's Oatmeal Stout

Otter Creek Brewing / Wolaver's visit their website
Vermont, United States

Oatmeal Stout |  5.90% ABV

(Beer added by: Todd on 11-12-2003)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Wolaver's Oatmeal Stout Alström Bros
Ratings: 752 | Reviews: 380 | Show All Ratings:
Douglas88

Utah

3.35/5  rDev -15.6%

Bottle thanks to Mark. Pours a dark brown color with a medium light-brown head. The aroma is very nice; loads of coffee, rich burnt malts, and lots of nutty notes. The flavor was also very good; up front coffee and rich chocolates, some roasted malts and a dry sweet finish. The oats and roasted flavors, along with the nice ABV add a real heft to this beer. Very nice. The only critique I have is it is a bit too thin. But very nice overall.

11-12-2008 04:03:25 | More by Douglas88
bearrunner44

3.38/5  rDev -14.9%

Appearance- Opaque maple color. Pillowy tan head. Stubborn streaks of lace remain on the glass as the head dissipates.

Smell- Sweet, toasted malt, reminiscent of dark chocolate and caramel. Moderate alcohol presence in the nose.

Taste- Intricate, roasty malt profile. Low levels of carbonation. Smooth, but not creamy; it could definitely stand to be fuller-bodied. Delicately hopped; the hops leave a slight tingle in the aftertaste.

Verdict- Enjoyable flavors, but the mouthfeel is pretty thin. This would be a top oatmeal stout if the mouthfeel weren't so hollow.

01-23-2006 06:59:03 | More by bearrunner44
albern

3.38/5  rDev -14.9%

This is a decent outmeal stout, but by no means brilliant. It pours a very dark brown that won't let in much light through the glass, with a minimal head, hardly any lacing, and a watery rind as the beer warms. The smell is burnt malts, chocolate, and mostly coffee, actually lots of coffee. The beer is surprisingly watery, medium bodied, but not your thick consistency that I would have expected. The beer is somewhat tilted towards the malt end of the spectrum although the hops present themselves towards the finish. There aren't as many balancing hops in the body that I would have preferred. The taste is decidedly burnt malts, charred molasses, cold coffee, some cocoa. There is some complexity to this beer and a bit of dryness. The mouthfeel is a bit thin but there is an overlay of oilyness that adds to the beers complexity.

02-09-2008 22:22:39 | More by albern
CaptJackHarkness

3.38/5  rDev -14.9%

Poured an almost headless dark brown/black body. Minimal lacing of glass. Scent is sweet and unremarkable. Taste is sweetened coffee, bready. Could use a lot more bittering to balance. The taste is further a bit acrid and very thin feeling on the palate. To reduce it to one word : "Meh".

11-24-2011 00:38:46 | More by CaptJackHarkness
bogus564

3.38/5  rDev -14.9%

12 fl. oz., poured into a pint glass.

It’s been awhile since I’ve had a stout, so I’m really looking forward to try a new one. Besides, I have a few others in the beer fridge for backup, just in case this one disappoints; always have a Plan B. And a Plan C. And a Plan 9 (100 points if you caught that reference). Once more into the breach, as the saying goes…

A: Well, well, well, it certainly looks like a stout. It’s very dark brown, kind of like a cola, with a caramel head that takes up half the glass’ volume with an aggressive pour. The head lasts for more than two minutes before dissolving, and, oddly, leaving nothing on the side of the glass. I don’t know what to think about that.

S: I can smell it from two feet away. When I bring it up to my nose, though, I obviously like it more. It has those lovely smells that make a stout a stout – there’s coffee, there’s caramel, there’s dark chocolate, there’s roasted malt (well done, by the way), there’s oatmeal, and, almost hiding back there, there’s hops and orange. I’m starting to build up hope for this one…

T: Diving in – oh, man, fooled again. It’s watery. The 5.9% ABV should have been a dead giveaway. I have confirmation of all that I smelled, but the proportions aren’t all that good, and the wateriness is just too difficult to get past, especially when you’re looking for a beer with a little bit of ‘oomph’. If this beer were meat, it would be boiled beef, when you’re looking for a thick, juicy ribeye.

M: It’s watery. It’s light in body, which is strange for a stout. It’s very carbonated, which isn’t unusual. It’s tough on the palate, being watery when you want something that delights. The finish is watery. Okay, I’ve made my point with overuse of the word ‘watery’, but now you know what I’m feeling when I drink this this beer.

O: This beer walked like a duck, quacked like a duck, but couldn’t swim. That’s just not right, folks. This beer is Winona Ryder when you’re looking for Jennifer Lopez (or Jennifer Hudson, or Fergie, for that matter); it’s okay, but lacks the bam-boom-pow that you really want. Mercifully, I have a few really good stouts in the beer fridge; once again, Plan B proves to be a prudent course of action. Thanks for reading.

02-04-2012 22:03:26 | More by bogus564
tempest

3.4/5  rDev -14.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

Whoa, heavy on the roased oats. I really dont get much more ou of this beer in either smell or taste. Its good a what it does, but this isn a terribly complex beer. I tend not to like my oatmeal stouts in the bottle as much, as this example isnt as smooth. Maybe this would improve on nitro. I'd still prefer a Sammy Smith over this.

10-21-2006 06:46:26 | More by tempest
matty

3.4/5  rDev -14.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pitch black colored beer with a rapidly fading head.Aroma is cocoa powder.Taste is chocolate,weak coffee,cola and some smoked malts.A decent beer that is a little weak on flavor and a bit watery on mouthfeel.Still this is something I would recommend to try at least once.I believe that I would purchase this again.

01-18-2010 12:16:15 | More by matty
airforbes1

3.4/5  rDev -14.4%

Pours nearly black, with traces of brown that show up when held to the light. The head simply vanishes, giving this beer an appearance comparable to flat cola.

The aroma gives off the smell of burnt malts, and that's what I taste. It tastes like they went a touch too far with the roasting. The slick, viscous mouthfeel compensates for this defect.

I thought this beer was enjoyable, albeit somewhat flawed. Drinking the next five in the six pack won't be a chore, but it's also not something I'm eagerly anticipating.

07-22-2011 02:02:03 | More by airforbes1
jdhilt

New Hampshire

3.43/5  rDev -13.6%

Pours a two-fingered white head that fades quickly to a ring leaving traces of lace. Deep amber nearly black color. Light carbonation and heavy bodied. Roasted coffee nose. Starts roasted/sweet coffee flavor, finish is almost a burnt coffee. $1.25 for a 12 oz bottle from Capital Convenience Concord, NH.

03-13-2006 23:31:48 | More by jdhilt
crwills

Ontario (Canada)

3.43/5  rDev -13.6%

Pours pitch black with a small white head, which fades quickly. Aroma is faint, mildly smoky, with hints of burnt coffee beans. The sourness I usually associated with oatmeal stouts is mildly present in the flavour, but well hidden. Flavour is relatively straightforward -- smoke, mild coffee, tangy but not overbearing hops. Mouthfeel's a little thin for the style, in my opinion. Tangy, bittersweet aftertaste.

12-03-2007 02:15:11 | More by crwills
aerozeppl

3.43/5  rDev -13.6%

A:Black with some brown in there. Slightly mocha colored head with no lacing.

S: Coffee. caramel, roasted malt, bitterness.

T: Really sweet. The malt really dominates this beer. Everything else is drowned out.

M: A little on the thin side for my tastes. Carbonation is well done.

D: Nice normal stout. Fairly easy drinking. Nothing remarkable just a decent stout.

03-29-2008 02:05:49 | More by aerozeppl
Oxymoron

Colorado

3.45/5  rDev -13.1%

Received this in the Black Booty trade from auxiliary, thanks. The pour was a stout-esk color with some noticeable red and brown highlights around the edge. Decent pour with limited and not much staying power but some did last through the whole tasting.

The nose had roasty presence in the malt and some lighter lactic or oatmeal nose. Some lighter smoke and coffee aromas as well as. There is a touch of earthy hops in the back as well.

The taste was a little more balanced with malt and oats. Roasted malts were mostly detectable as for as the malt goes, but touches of chocolate and black come out. I would have like more of the chocolate flavors. There was a slick flavor that gave a lactic finish that almost gave the beer a slight infection feel. Just didn't feel right overall.

The body was mid with a nice body to stand on. I think that this beer could have been find but I would have like to see more chocolate and less oatmeal.

01-28-2008 23:23:18 | More by Oxymoron
Strix

Wisconsin

3.45/5  rDev -13.1%

Not quite opaque, a deep reddish-brown in the light. Thin head.

Smells nice, coffee, caramel, woodiness.

Taste doesn't really deliver though. Really has a coffee and tea thing going which I'm not really into. Also burnt, woody, and sweet flavors.

Mouthfeel thin for me, evokes old coffee. A smoother mouthfeel might have helped my impression of this quite a bit.

Drinkable, but fairly forgettable for me.

06-28-2008 03:43:49 | More by Strix
IronCitySteve

3.45/5  rDev -13.1%

A: Pours a dark opaque color with some reddish brown hues when held up to the light. A very thin head that disappears quickly. I expected a stout to have a better head.

S: Lots of chocolate, coffee, roasted malt.

T: Mostly chocolate and coffee, with some alcohol mixed in. Not really strong, but not weak either.

M: Left a weird sort of aftertaste on the palate that I could not place. I was eating steak (cause I am a fat guy) so I do not think my meal affected the beer aftertaste.

D: The aftertaste that was left on my palate really did not make me want to have another. It could be me. The initial taste is pleasant but the lingering aftertaste was not, for me anyway.

02-18-2010 12:45:24 | More by IronCitySteve
Dogbrick

3.48/5  rDev -12.3%

This brew is a very dark brown color, not quite opaque with a slight reddish tint. Medium thin and quickly dissipating light tan head, and very thin lacing. The aroma consists of roasted coffee and soy. Dry and a little too thin-bodied for my tastes, with flavors of coffee, caramel and a bit of chocolate. Some sweetness comes through in the finish, along with a touch of hops. This Stout falls short in about every area, but despite that it is still drinkable.

05-18-2004 14:47:12 | More by Dogbrick
jsanto

3.48/5  rDev -12.3%

s - 12oz bottle, served in a little chimay glass.

a - it looks like a stout, dark brown, with a little light brown head.

s - i don't like the smell. it's like cocoa/coffee/molasses/alcohol.

t - it's organic, so it gives a little off the taste. harsh, but still flavorful enough to enjoy. the finish was bitter. the front was coffee.

m - dry and sour/bitter.

d- i liked it as a different stout that was not sweet.

02-15-2009 01:56:26 | More by jsanto
CormanoWild

Connecticut

3.48/5  rDev -12.3%

Poured from a 12-oz bottle into a long-stemmed tulip glass.
I really do *not* like the twist-off caps, particularly for a brand that takes such pride in being "organic" - as a homebrewer, Wolaver's thwarted my plans to reuse these bottles for my own brews (100% recyling!). But, that's neither here nor there. Onwards!

Appearance: Just about jet-black, with slight reddish transluence, and a thick, long-lasting head of creamy, caramel-tinted foam.

Smell: Overwhelming, dry powerof coffee, with underlying, but strongly perceptible vegetal notes (perhaps from the oatmeal)? Mostly you get dark roasted malts, with relatively little hops. If you let the beer warm some, the hops drop back, with the sweet smell of coffee becoming even more prominent, though the hops are always strongly there.

Mouthfeel: Slightly more watery than I would like, especially for an oatmeal stout, particularly on the finish. Still quite creamy though, and nicely effervescent - if you give it a quick turn-over in your mouth, it's quite a puffy treat. Still, though, the mouthfeel - and the lingering aftertaste I describe below - are my least favorite parts of the brew.

Taste: The coffee hits you first, again, with brute force, followed by the chocolate of the roasted malts. But this quickly gives way to quite a long, vegetal finish. Too long, if you ask me - at some point, you begin to wish your mouth would stop tasting like a fancy salad!
The hops in this aren't too perceptible in the aroma, but they certainly are in the taste. Not at all citrusy until perhaps the very dying warble of the "finishing notes." Quite "English" in flavor, for lack of a better way to put it. The finish is a bit dryer than I would like, as well.
As I let it warm, though, this beer grew on me. The hops backed off, and the dark malts took the forefront of the flavor. But the aftertaste remains. The beer remained too watery for me, even as it warms, but it definitely improves at "cellar temperature" or above.

Drinkability: The unpleasantely lingering vegetal flavors would put me off wanting to quaff this all night - in fact, after finishing this bottle off, I had a couple of quick glasses of water to help cleanse the palate. Not a very heavy or alcoholic beer, however, so I should say its drinkability is intermediate.

OVERALL:

8/10 (B)

Not one of my favorite beers, I'll admit. Overall, I wish this were creamier and sweeter, as you might expect of an oatmeal stout. I'd go for a nice Zyweic Porter or even a Turbodog before this were I trapped in a cabin on a dark, cold night and wanted something dark and hearty to cheer me up. But! Quite a good beer nonetheless, and quite a good price. If you like hoppy, drier dark ales, you would like this.

01-12-2010 19:27:12 | More by CormanoWild
chOAKbarrell

Maryland

3.5/5  rDev -11.8%

Barely-there head on this beer, even with a strong pour. What little head there was quickly vanished. Disappointing.

Well, things can only go up from there, right? The smell is pretty rockin. Bold and earthy with a strong malty sweetness.

The taste is good, but there's something missing. There doesnt seem to be much of a finish to this beer. The caramel, the malt, the breadiness, its all there, but then it just kind of drops off into nowhereland.

I thought the mouthfeel was thin. I suppose this could be a good thing if you're looking for a lighter, easier-drinking stout.

Maybe worth a try out of curiousity, if you're a fan of this style. Not a bad beer, but not very memorable.

01-13-2006 00:03:10 | More by chOAKbarrell
alysmith4

District of Columbia

3.5/5  rDev -11.8%

My first oatmeal stout.. delicious! It was on tap at the eco-festival in DC - a featured beer as it is orgainic. Was expecting an oatmeal taste, but nothing but coffee and chocolate were coming though. Carbonation was minimal. I'm not drawn to this style, but would order this one again to change it up from time to time.

10-14-2006 22:05:48 | More by alysmith4
Backer2004

3.53/5  rDev -11.1%

Received this in my final shipment of the Beer of the Month club. Stamped 1/5/05 and has been sitting at the shipment place for over two weeks, so at least they get their beer out quickly. no lacing, head, or real carbonation found in the poured pint glass. Very rich, overpowering smell of roasted oats, coffee, and chocolate. Too hoppy--roasted oats a bit much. As this warmed up, other scents and flavors more apparent (this raised my taste review.5 points). Have not been a fan yet of Wolaver's organic brews, but it is better than the Middleberry ale.

02-05-2005 20:43:05 | More by Backer2004
riversider76

look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

This is my first time trying oatmeal beer. Pours a very dark brown,with a slight redish hue.Tan head,and good lace. Smelled like a Dunkel Weizen. Mouthfeel was light and flat. Taste was of oats and malt. It was lighter than I expected,and had a burnt edge.Not bad, but I was expecting more.

01-08-2006 00:28:10 | More by riversider76
TheManiacalOne

Rhode Island

look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

On-tap 2/23/07 at The Celtic Pub in Pawtucket, RI, served in a US tumbler pint glass.

A: The beer is a deep dark brown color, with a thin brown head that fades slowly and leaves a thin lace on the glass.

S: The aroma is of strong chocolate with roasted malt, oats and a little bit of hops.

T: Flavors of dark chocolate, roasted malt and oats start out. There’s a good hops presence for a beer in this style. The after-taste is bitter-sweet. This is one of the better tasting organic beers that I’ve had.

M: Crisp and very smooth, very heavy body, medium carbonation, dry but sticky finish.

D: Tasty, goes down easy, extremely filling, good representation of style but not quite up there with other Oatmeal Stouts that I’ve had. Since the beer is so filling I can’t see myself having more than one or two, but it’s a good sipper.

02-24-2007 16:32:06 | More by TheManiacalOne
nasty15108

look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a pint glass.

A - Almost black with ruby hues around the edges. Tan head with goos lacing.

S - Malty aroma. Strong hints of espresso.

T - Malty up front followed by a good amount of roasted coffee and smoke.

MF&D - Decent carbonation, and easy enough to drink.

04-10-2008 18:38:53 | More by nasty15108
nrpellegrini

Maryland

look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

My first oatmeal stout.. overall a good experience.

Pours a dark rich black brown color with a decent tan head that fades before the end. Smells of sweet sugars. Tastes of coffee and roasted malts. This is a slight oaked flavor that bring the aroma of oatmeal into the mouth. A little bitter taste lingered on the end. Mouthfeel was decent, smooth with a small crisp bite. Drinkability was ok..

In the end it was a little tough to get down as enjoyably as the first sip.

10-24-2008 05:15:05 | More by nrpellegrini
BeefyMee

Connecticut

3.55/5  rDev -10.6%

Appearance: Looks black but is actually semi-transparent when held up to light. The head didn't quite shape up.

Smell: Roasty, vanilla, and even some alcohol, but there's something strange that I can't put my finger on.

Taste: This beer lives in its aftertaste. Luckily, the aftertaste is superb with a rich, espresso and vanilla flavor, but there should be more of an immediate taste. This just doesn't deliver anything upfront, and that's very odd.

Mouthfeel: Thin and somewhat abrasive. I expect a lot from oatmeal stouts in the mouthfeel department. This one has some explaining to do.

Drinkability: I think part of the poor mouthfeel lends itself to the beer having good drinkability. The only points off here came from the fact that I might not want to drink too many of these.

Beef Notes: This would be a great beer to have in small doses because all you really need to do is drink a little and you'll have the basic effect of the beer for an hour or two. I'm talking about the lingering coffee aftertaste, which I love. This also means that I like really like the beer but only when I'm not drinking it. Man, this beer confuses me. I'll have to try it again sometime just to make heads or tails of it.

03-03-2004 06:34:28 | More by BeefyMee