Otter Creek World Tour: Helsinki Göld - Otter Creek Brewing / Wolaver's

Sahti |  6.37% ABV

Beer added by: Todd on 10-23-2006

first ← prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | nextlast
4.01/5  rDev +7.8%

A – Poured a nice clear amber, darker then I thought it would be actually. Had a nice orange lager like color. Lots of carbonation coming up from the bottom, this thing fizzled the entire time. Nice two inch plus head of white frothy foam formed immediately upon the pour, hung around for a couple mins then let go leaving behind some residual side glass lace.

S – Aroma was very tight and crisp. Quick clean hit of cereal like malts mixed in with earthy grains. Light fresh cut grass and rice mixed in as well, some sugary notes with almost a touch of very light roasted nut, or some light peach aroma. Rather summer like and very enjoyable actually.

T – Great great drinker here. Taste reminded me a lot of a good lager. It was such a clean fresh taste. Quick to hit you with a mild maltiness, lots of barley and grain, but it was quick, and washed away with some light hop bitterness. It was such a refreshing taste, I was actually quite surprised, as soon as you sipped it and swallowed it was gone, very intresting, and just great. Certain sugary touch a well.

M – superb, really really great. Huge carbonation just left it with a big feel and a silkiness that just rolled through your mouth. Light texture and feel, did not fill ou up at all, which was really good.

D – Great session brew. I could have had this all night long. It was super smooth and light, no high abv holding you did not bloat you or fill you up. Just all around good.

Overall I was really impressed with this one. I did not know what to think going into it, as I had never even heard of the style they were trying to emulate here, but I was quite impressed with the product. The color and carbonation were outstanding. This just looked like some kind of german lager, just really great. And such a smooth, light, but yet full flavor. I will defiantly have to try this one again, though I do not think I will find it. This would make a fine addition to their year rounds. (1,968 characters)

3.92/5  rDev +5.4%

Poured from a 22oz bottle into a mug glass.

A: The beer is a deep amber color with a thin off-white head that fades slowly and leaves a thick lace on the glass.

S: The aroma is of grain, rye, caramel and spice with a little bit of hops.

T: The taste bready and sweet with flavors of rye, spice and a little bit of citrus. There’s a decent hops presence that comes in to provide a little balance. The malt character is very hearty but it doesn’t make the beer very heavy. The after-taste is bready with touches of sweetness and bitterness.

M: Smooth and very crisp, medium body, medium carbonation, finish is clean and dry.

D: Tasty, goes down very easily, not very filling, decent kick, this is an interesting style with so few beers in it this is the first time that I’ve tried one, this is a beer I could drink for a while, but I might look for something more flavorful after some time. (897 characters)

4.42/5  rDev +18.8%

I will preface by saying I have not had a sahti before, but have enjoyed an Otter creek once or twice. Poured cool into a La Fin Du Monde tulip.

A - A medium amber w/ a quickly dissipating white head.

S - Robust rye aroma at first whiff w/ pretty instense malt odors. Reminds me of a wheat wine or rye bock at first. My first Sahti, just trying to take it all in.

M - Full roasted and dry feel w/ moderate carbonation, round and spicy feel in general w/ a rye-like roast and creaminess.

T - This beer is just beyond words to me. So complex.. I will start by sayin' the rich feel and and almost smoky woody taste and spice tastes like pepper and a hint of juniper. The rye is not overdone w/ subtle malt graininess. An overall dry taste and texture. Plenty of earthy complexity, the juniper gives a gin-like dry herbal flavor that is accentuated as it warms. The flavor keeps beckoning to me after I take each sip for another. The taste is fresh and this a just shy of a 5 for me w/ the body, toasty grain and blend of earthy flavors

D - The rye gives this ale its great aroma and mouthfeel. It has such smooth taste w/ juniper complexity. I could drink a small keg. The bomber went down like it was a small sample. (1,219 characters)

3.68/5  rDev -1.1%

Pours deep golden with a creamy, thin head.

The smell is light - yeast, some spiciness (a rye/gin mix).

The taste is of biscuity yeast with a grainy crispness. Juniper is mild and not as detectable as I would have thought - there is some mild spiciness to it.

Light in body, but flavors hang on. Smooth, crisp and refreshing.

Easy to drink with enough to it to keep it interesting. Can't say I found it to be anything great, but certainly worth checking out. (470 characters)

3.8/5  rDev +2.2%

The beer pours a nice gold color with a thin white head that fades to lacing. The aroma is good. It has a refreshing pale and rye malt scent along with a juniper berry aroma. There is also a mild yeast tartness. It smells much like a light gruit ale. The taste is decent. It has an interesting flavor that boasts of pale malts and juniper berries. There are zero hops flavors and a bit of yeast tartness. It's refreshing with an herbal feel. The mouthfeel is fine. It is a full bodied beer with adequate carbonation. These "ancient" brews are pretty delicious. They have an herbal quality to them that can be menacing for some, but I like them. This is a good example of the style. (681 characters)

2.95/5  rDev -20.7%

Sampled through "I Want That" BIF 2 and mikesgroove.

My first Sahti wonder if I am going to like this or not.

This is a murky reddish to amber colored beer with a decent thick light brown head.

The smell is a little sweet with the scent of rye and spruce needles with a little caramel and tea. A little spicy scent is in this, smells a bit like juniper berries and a trace of cinnamon.

The taste begins flat and more than a little earthy there is some dirt flavor here. This is a little sweet and I can taste the pine but wow earthy and not in the good way like truffles. A little malty but I just can't get past the earth and or mildew flavor. There a fair amount of caramel and toffee candy in this but it is hard to notice.

The Mouthfeel is OK.

OK I have no reason to try this again. The problem is I think there is some sort of mushroom growing in the bottle. Earthy as in DIRT flavor is just not going to make me try this again. (951 characters)

3.53/5  rDev -5.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Thanks goes out to jwc215 for this brew.

Pours a cloudy dark orange color, nice carbonation, nice little fizzy off-white head, which leaves some sticky lacing behind. The nose is malty, slight yeast, licorice, with some spice. The taste is malty, slight yeast, licorice, and some spices. Medium body. Drinkable, this is a interesting brew, not too bad. (353 characters)

3.98/5  rDev +7%

22oz bought at the brewery store.

Poured into an imperial pint glass, formed 1/2" off-white head over the clear golden amber brew. Head holds steady, with plenty of sticky lace. Aroma is rye and light spicing. Taste is slightly spicy sweet maltiness upfront, with rye effect coming on in the middle, and lingering even after the swallow. Mouthfeel is quite smooth, and drinkability is great. Could get a bit cloying after a few, but I think this one is another interesting offering from the World Tour. (506 characters)

4.1/5  rDev +10.2%

Poured a pale golden color with nice white puffy head. Great retention and modest lacing.
Smell presents with a light fruity maltiness and some juniper scents.
Taste also has a nice refreshing malt character, with a light gin-like taste
Finishes very light and refeshing.
My favorite mixed drink is a gin and tonic and this beer is very similiar to it. Very easy to drink. (372 characters)

3.85/5  rDev +3.5%

22oz bomber: This one pours a clear, slightly darker golden color. There was a large white head on it, that disappeared quickly and left no lacing. the aroma is slightly bready and malty, with some very faint spice. It has a nice flavor to it. No real standouts, and medium bodied. some spices and fruit hiding in the background. Pretty smooth and drinkable. (358 characters)

4.08/5  rDev +9.7%

The beer poured into the glass crystal clear pale golden with a low almost white head which lasted well enough to lace the glass.

The aroma was fruity and bready with a citrusy impression. Some honey sweetness was notable as was a lightly spicy presence.

The flavor was citrusy with a light orange and lemon presence. The flavor also contained a lightly malty and slightly spicy character. The rye flavor (and spice) was nicely done and the citrus balanced the beer out very well. The flavor was also bready and interesting.

The finish was dry with a bit of lasting rye character into the aftertaste and a lasting light bit of citrus. The body was medium with a moderate carbonation and a prickly nature to the mouthfeel. The label lists juniper as a characteristic and perhaps that is lending some of the citrus, spice and prickly mouthfeel. For some reason I like this beer, who knew?

22 ounce bottle. (915 characters)

2.43/5  rDev -34.7%

Split this bomber with Stopper at cellar temp pouted into a snifter.
The beer pours a rich gold color with minimal bleached white head receding quickly to an edge layer. Aroma is mild but some sweet malt and caramel and mild general fruitiness are present. First sip reveals an ave body wtih fine yet fizzy carbonation that tingles my tongue with each sip. Flavor is mild sweet malt and some caramel. A bit of general sugarynessand fruit with pears being the best flavor I can pin down. The beer dries a little on the finish and lingers with a hint of bitterness, maybe piney notes, or maybe Im just trying to find the juniper. Overall the beer is too mild for me and I wouldnt try it again. (692 characters)

4.2/5  rDev +12.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Otter Creek- Helsinki Göld

Appearance- Golden yellowish/ brown with a thick frothy white head.
Smell- Strong juniper berries, pine needles, bubble gum clove.
Taste- Smooth berry flavor, clove, pine and other wintery plants and aromas really come through.
Mouthfeel- Smooth with no bitterness. Big flavor from start to finish.

Overall- My first "Sahti" or Sahti style beer, but I really enjoyed. (404 characters)

Pours a slightly hazy pale amber with a decent head that diminishes to a ring. The aroma is of sweet malts with a peasant dash of junipers. The taste is of course on the malty side, but as the style dictates, the juniper leaves a good bitterness to provide a good balance. The beer is light and refreshing with a low carbonation. This makes for an enjoyable summer evening beer. (378 characters)

3.83/5  rDev +3%

A: Poured a cloudy brown color with some white head and decent lacing. Never had this style before so hard to compare.

S: Graham crackers. Juniper. Sweet malt. Very much an earthy smell to the whole thing.

T: Very mild. The juniper really pops out more than anything else. hints of honey and spices are around as well. I am still getting graham crackers but I raped my tastebuds earlier today so everything might be a little off.

M: Light body. Feels like a lager in some ways but has a weird heaviness to it if that makes any sense.

D: Nothing to compare it to but this went down nice. Definitely a wacky style but good as well. Totally different. Worth trying if you can find it. (685 characters)

3.63/5  rDev -2.4%

Dispensed from a 22oz bottle into an imperial pint glass. Beer emerges a dark golden color with a stark white head of a nice size and very nice (in my best Borat accent) retention and lacing. Lots of tiny carbonation bubbles help to support the generous head.

Aroma is lager like. I certainly dont detect any juniper and a slight rye aroma is present, but nothing out of the ordianary. Being my first sahti but a huge gin fan, I was a little disappointed in the aroma.

Nice malty backbone in the flavor of this beer. I taste the rye and some caramel malts, but otherwise, somewhat so-so. A great body here with a full medium bodied beer. Smooth and quite crisp and dry in the "finnish" (I had to). Not bad but nothing exceptional. I

I try to get my hands on all of the Otter Creek World Tour beers. So far, most of them are barely above average on the grand scheme of things, and this one falls into that category as well. Worth a try though. (953 characters)

3.82/5  rDev +2.7%

Twist off cap on a bomber??? Insanity. Slightly hazy reddish amber. Loose collar of head. Decent head retention. Smells of creamy malt, a little doughy, with noticable juniper accents. Woodsy and piney, with some ale fruitiness. Pleasant. The flavor opens with fairly rich malt flavor. Toasty and very smoothly textured. Easy going, with mild carbonation and a fairly full body. Overall pretty sweet, with a bit of apple/pear fruitiness and plenty of malt flavor. Juniper, ginny spiciness in the finish, evening out the sweetness somewhat. Easy drinking, particularly because of the soft carbonation and fairly full body. I don't suspect this is brewed quite how they do it in Finland, but it's a nice introduction towards one of the more obscure, indigenous beer styles, and I give Otter Creek a lot of credit for that. Based on my very limited experience with authentic examples of sahti, this drinks much better. Maybe its not quite so foreign to a beer drinkers' palate. I dunno.
Addendum: I actually did go for another bottle a week after writing this. A good rye beer is hard to come by. My buddy got one on my suggestion, and really liked it. (1,150 characters)

4.2/5  rDev +12.9%

Bomber>giant mug

AP: A semi-cloudy and very active looking, amber color with a one-finger deep, all-white and totally even head. Displays some decent retention qualitites.

Nose: Sweet caramalized malt, yeast, A fruity hopped scent and the mild, mellow scent of rye and barley. There's a subtle but distinct scent of sweet wheat and hay.

Taste & Feel: This medium bodied brew feels crisp but very substantial and smooth, with a wide range of flavors, which include: A fruity and floral hop, Rye and wheat with a nice oak'ed effect and a mild spice with a semi-sweet malted barley taste. The balance of all of these ingredients seems to work very well, the effect is complex and tastey.

Da: This is the kind of brew that keeps me interested, with it's interesting mix of flavors. I will be having more of these here. (831 characters)

3.85/5  rDev +3.5%

Pours a shadowy gold color into my pint glass with a thin, white head that dissipates quickly. The body shows mucho carbonation and some cloudiness. Nose is mild with crystal malts and faint but distinct juniper, making me think uneasily of gin.

I was worried that the juniper wouldn't be enough to balance the sweetness without hopping but it does impart requisite dryness and the aftertaste is surprisingly clean and satisfying. The high carbonation and alcohol lace wouldn't be okay in some beers but for some reason they fit here. This was a pleasant surprise and I'll be in the lookout for it in the future. (616 characters)

3.03/5  rDev -18.5%

Enjoyed on-tap tonight at the Flying Saucer in Raleigh, NC.

Poured a hazy fold color. Thought it would be darker. White foamy head but no lace. However, I think the lack o lace may be the bar's fault. Nose is slightly fruity and sour. Kind of berry-like.

Not sure what to make of this beer. More fruity than not. Kind of hop-like but not. The other guys at the table were enjoying it but the slight sourness was a bit of a turn-off (it was the "fire" special for the night). Malts were more wheat than barley. Honestly this beer just confused me and I did not really enjoy it. Made me a bit schizophrenic. Everytime I thought I pinned down some sort of sure-time flavor i would begin to second-guess myself. Moved onto something else after finsihing this pint. (766 characters)

3.52/5  rDev -5.4%

this is my first Sahti, i imagine it would be most peoples as it is easy to get here in the states.

A - this beer pours a golden-reddish brown, quite transparent with a half of a finger of off-white colored head with plenty of swift carbonation to keep it alive

S - you can definitely smell the juniper, though if that wasnt in this styles description i don't know if i would've picked it out, plus a sweet roasted malts but thats it, but the juniper aroma seems at times to smell like hops like an IPA

T - you can taste the absence of hops, but the juniper is relegated to the aftertaste, where it lends the beer a sweet and smooth aftertaste

M&D - this unique juniper flavor lends this sweetness and a smoothness to the mouthfeel,a nice brew, strange but good, would not be adverse to trying this style again if I ever find another example (854 characters)

4.3/5  rDev +15.6%

Poured from a bomber to a pint glass the liquid is cloudy gold with ok carbonation. The head is one fat thumb off white ant leaves little lace.

The smell is nice yet fain, juniper molasses and caramel.

The taste follows but quite a bit more flavor the the smell would signal. Lots of molasses, juniper and other light spices.

The mouthfeel is ok to good lighter body the expected and ok carbonation.

The drinkability is good a very nice brew from a brewer I feel is closer to average. Prosit, MK (499 characters)

3.35/5  rDev -9.9%

An interesting take on the style, of which I admittedly have minimal experience with.

It pours a crisp looking orange-ish colour wit ha fairly thin head that leaves a minimal amount of residue on the glass.

The aroma has a bit of sweetness to it along with some berry notes, citrus, juniper, etc and a nice malt base throughout.

The flavour hits out at you more so with the juniper than the aroma does but it mixes nicely with the citrus, malt and sweetness of the aroma. The finish is a bit sharp overall and mouthfeel is light bodied but a bit watery at times.

The only other Sahti I have sampled was the Heavyweight version, which I would suspect was a bit less traditional than this one, but at the same time it blew this one out of the water. Aside from the tad watery mouthfeel, this one is decent overall. I'd punch the flavour up a bit, but still, not bad in the end. (887 characters)

3.79/5  rDev +1.9%

True to its name, this beer was a deep golden color, with a thin, fast-dying head. Wasn't sure what to expect from the style.

Aroma was of light citrus, a little rye-like spiciness, a hint of evergreen, slightly herbal, and overall light.

Taste was lightly spicy, a bit bitter, a hint of gin flavor, and just a touch of sweetness at the swallow.

Mouthfeel was not too thin, not full and chewy (I had no idea what to expect), but pleasant and seemed to match the taste.

Drinkability was pretty good. I am sure I will have another, as I have several bottles cellaring and available for trade. (594 characters)

3.2/5  rDev -14%

Pours a hazy golden color with a thin head and a small thin rim of watery lace.
Smells of grain corn husk and lemon.
The flavor has a grainy and biscuity backbone that is supported by a light fruitiness and some honey flavors. Mildly bitter in the finish. The fruit and honey keep this from being a boring beer.
The mouthfeel is very creamy and smooth as silk.
This is a pretty boring beer considering the description on the bottle. As the beer warmed it became less drinkable. (481 characters)

first ← prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | nextlast