Otter Creek World Tour: Helsinki Göld - Otter Creek Brewing / Wolaver's

Beer added by: Todd on 10-23-2006

« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »
Ratings: 52 | Reviews: 48
3.03/5  rDev -18.3%

Enjoyed on-tap tonight at the Flying Saucer in Raleigh, NC.

Poured a hazy fold color. Thought it would be darker. White foamy head but no lace. However, I think the lack o lace may be the bar's fault. Nose is slightly fruity and sour. Kind of berry-like.

Not sure what to make of this beer. More fruity than not. Kind of hop-like but not. The other guys at the table were enjoying it but the slight sourness was a bit of a turn-off (it was the "fire" special for the night). Malts were more wheat than barley. Honestly this beer just confused me and I did not really enjoy it. Made me a bit schizophrenic. Everytime I thought I pinned down some sort of sure-time flavor i would begin to second-guess myself. Moved onto something else after finsihing this pint.

3.63/5  rDev -2.2%

Dispensed from a 22oz bottle into an imperial pint glass. Beer emerges a dark golden color with a stark white head of a nice size and very nice (in my best Borat accent) retention and lacing. Lots of tiny carbonation bubbles help to support the generous head.

Aroma is lager like. I certainly dont detect any juniper and a slight rye aroma is present, but nothing out of the ordianary. Being my first sahti but a huge gin fan, I was a little disappointed in the aroma.

Nice malty backbone in the flavor of this beer. I taste the rye and some caramel malts, but otherwise, somewhat so-so. A great body here with a full medium bodied beer. Smooth and quite crisp and dry in the "finnish" (I had to). Not bad but nothing exceptional. I

I try to get my hands on all of the Otter Creek World Tour beers. So far, most of them are barely above average on the grand scheme of things, and this one falls into that category as well. Worth a try though.

4.55/5  rDev +22.6%

This brew was a very pleasant surprise- not being a lightly hopped beer fan I was eager to taste what all the buzz was about this Sahti. The pour was unremarkable- quickly vanishing head and a decent color, though the aromas were great; a malty spicy aroma with a bite. The first sip was amazingly smooth- excellent body and carbonation balance. The taste was exceptional, a very unique allspice ginger combo with a strong juniper-gin bitterness on the backend. Very different, and you can taste the junipers, which more than make up for the lack of hops. Very tasty, savory beer.

4.02/5  rDev +8.4%

This brew poured a slightly hazy, dark yellow color with a fairly large head that left some lacing on the glass. Aroma was spicy and malty, with some bread yeast notes in the nose. The first few sips reminded me of a Hefe, spicy and and clovey. As the beer warmed, the flavor of juniper became more noticeable along with the spicy, oily character of the rye malt. Mouthfeel was light, making this a very drinkable beer. I could easily drink a couple of bombers of this stuff in one sitting. I admit I wasn't sure what to expect from this beer, being that I don't usually drink lighter styles, but this one was very tasty. My first sahti did not disappoint.

3.92/5  rDev +5.7%

A clean amber beer. Has a small white head. There are notes of honey upfront in the aroma. With a biscuit malt and an earthy floral notes in the background. A combo of spices and honey flavors run wild over your tongue followed by that earth floral note on the nice clean finish.
As the beer warms a nice smoky character becime noticable in both the aroma and the taste. An enjoyable drink.

3.4/5  rDev -8.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

I purchased a 22 oz bomber and poured into a pint glass. The beer poured a slightly hazy dark yellow with a hint of amber. Very little head which did not last.

I don't know much about shati, I've never had one before so I don't know how this compares to the style. I couldn't smell the juniper or rye but there is a subtle flavor of both. Tastes a bit fruity but a little bit thin. Nice mouthfeel with a pleasant after taste. According to the label there is supposed to be a malty creaminess but I did not think so.

Overall the beer is nice and worth a try. Depending on your tastes this could be a real find. experimenting with beer is half the fun and this is worth the experiment. I just wish it had a more "full" flavor.

4.08/5  rDev +10%

The beer poured into the glass crystal clear pale golden with a low almost white head which lasted well enough to lace the glass.

The aroma was fruity and bready with a citrusy impression. Some honey sweetness was notable as was a lightly spicy presence.

The flavor was citrusy with a light orange and lemon presence. The flavor also contained a lightly malty and slightly spicy character. The rye flavor (and spice) was nicely done and the citrus balanced the beer out very well. The flavor was also bready and interesting.

The finish was dry with a bit of lasting rye character into the aftertaste and a lasting light bit of citrus. The body was medium with a moderate carbonation and a prickly nature to the mouthfeel. The label lists juniper as a characteristic and perhaps that is lending some of the citrus, spice and prickly mouthfeel. For some reason I like this beer, who knew?

22 ounce bottle.

3.45/5  rDev -7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

i've never had a sahti before. picked up a 22 oz. bomber of this at city market in burlington, vt. (a must stop for their selection, if your in the area). pours golden yellow, small head that doesn't last. limited lacings. the initial smell is kind of subtle. you can pick up the juniper with some slight herbal notes. the taste is interesting. the juniper flavor is subtle but adds a slight tartness to the sip. definitly not over powering. actually quite drinkable. my one complaint might be that there isn't as much carbonation as i'd like. i think with more bubbles this beer could be damn tasty.

« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »