Wolaver's India Pale Ale - Otter Creek Brewing / Wolaver's

good

Otter Creek Brewing / Wolaver's
Vermont, United States

English India Pale Ale (IPA) |  6.50% ABV

This robust India Pale Ale follows British tradition by using bountiful amounts of fresh hop cones to produce a crisp clean character; blending Magnum, Crystal and Hallertauer hops with generous amounts of Munich and Carmel malt.

(Beer added by: pezoids on 09-07-2001)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Wolaver's India Pale Ale Alström Bros
1.6/5  rDev -54.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 1 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.5

Clear, shadow-laden gold with small, sticky heading.

Then, it goes afoul.

Truly horrid aromatics. Lilac-infused bubble gum tossed with cabbage and spoiling tropical fruit. Rusty metallics appear as it warms. This is seriously fucking bad news. Worse than it sounds. And I am usually generous as far as "smell" goes.

I wish I could say this is redeemed in the taste, but it treads the same false grounds. Unappealing faux-tropical fruitiness mingles with a powdery, machinery bitterness. Vegetable hues surge forward. Gin-stewed cauliflower. Turns sour and ever worse from there, grabbed still by the repulsive bitter residue.
Just a total mess.

I fucking hate this. Terrible, TERRIBLE IPA. Terrible beer. Terrible defined.
Bad.

But, since I am a nice guy, I will point out two positives. 1) This has some decent, underlying toasty maltiness. 2) The hallertau addition is noticed with its grassy personality, and would be a welcome companion in a decent IPA...okay, that wasn't so nice...but there are components here that are likeable. Even if the final product is completely horrible.

To sum up: bleeeaaachhkkk.
Ask my kitchen sink if you need a second opinion.

(bottled 2/4/04)

1.73/5  rDev -51.1%

What started out as a very attractive beer slowly (or maybe rapidly) went downhill. Poured a deep amber color with monstrous slightly off-white puffy head. Beautiful lacing. Smell is a a bit hoppy, a bit malty, mixed with alcohol notes. Taste is very strange. I detect a strong hop bitterness which slowly fades into a very unpleasant taste that is difficult to get out of the mouth. Each taste erases it, but then it slowly resturns. Gets a little better as it warmed to at least allow me to finish it. Never again.

1.75/5  rDev -50.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 1.5

Dark orange-amber, heavy on the amber. The ivory colored head is the consistency of stiffly beaten egg whites and looks good sitting atop the average looking beer.

The nose is borderline nasty and has a distinctive aroma that I've smelled in other beer from this brewery. I've previously attributed it to the organic nature of their offerings, but I've now had too many organic beers that didn't smell like this for me to believe that theory any longer. India Pale Ale smells musty and spoiled even though the bottle is barely four months old.

Hops are partially successful in fighting through the smothering blanket of repulsiveness. The significant hop bitterness and marginal hop flavor are the only things keeping the rest of this bottle from going down the drain. Magnum, Crystal and Hallertauer is an odd hop bill for an American IPA, so I doubt that I'd love the flavor profile even without the pervasive presence of pesticide.

The beer tastes like rotting vegetables and clay with a disturbing phenolic foulness. It isn't easy separating the hoppiness from the underlying nastiness since the latter infects every aspect of the flavor profile. Hmmm... could this be what infected beer tastes like? Although there isn't much wrong with the mouthfeel, what does it matter at this point?

I know this bottle of Wolaver's India Pale Ale is reasonably fresh and has been well cared for. That's because it was hand carried from the brewery to me when it was less than one month old. More's the pity (and the sheer, stupifying wonder) that it tastes so bad. I'm still willing to give Otter Creek/Wolaver's more chances, because a good portion of what they brew is decent. But this one? Never again.

2.05/5  rDev -42.1%

Bottle: Poured a light brown color ale with some orangey notes and nice foamy head with good retention and no lacing. Aroma consists of very light bitter hops which are disappointing considering the style. Taste is a mix between a bland light caramel malt profiles with a very light bitter finish. I expect some bitter or citrus flavour in my IPA which I didn't get here. I have to admit that this one was a big disappointment.

2.13/5  rDev -39.8%

After a pretty hard pour an off white head formed and stood for the better part of a minute. The beer is dark straw in color and just a little bit hazy. Very little carbonation rising up to the top. The malt aroma is kind of funky. It's pretty sweet smelling, no hops, grape juice, it smells like artificial grape juice. That's just wrong. It has a born on date of 8/5/03 so I don't think it's too old. Holding my nose the taste continues with the malt trend, a little bit of caramel in there, and even less hops. The aftertaste lightly bitter, with just a touch of metal. There's definitely something wrong with this beer, but even so I don't see this being all that great.

2.15/5  rDev -39.3%

For an IPA, it lacks hops and any real substance.

For the record, I prefer IPA's which are full-bodied, hoppy with distinctive flavours. Unfortunately, Wolaver's IPA does not fit the bill. While it's very smooth, with a small hint of bite at the end which lingers on your tongue, I don't find there's anything distinctive at all about this beer.

If you prefer a "smooth" IPA without much bite, then give it a try.

2.17/5  rDev -38.7%

Served in a pint glass from the tap at Frisco's in Columbia. Pretty amber brew with a good amount of carbonation within the body. Not much head or retention. However, there was excellent lacing from the thin ring along the side.
Faint malty and herbally hoppy aroma.
Biscuits, wet cardboard, chalky, no-hop-havin mess. I only really finished it because I assumed that I'd have to pay for the pint either way.
Some dryness on the tongue afterwards.
Overall: Nothing to see here, please move along.

2.25/5  rDev -36.4%

2.25/5  rDev -36.4%

2.3/5  rDev -35%

When I read the back it stated that it used Magnum, Crystal, and Hallertauer hops. The whole reason I bought it was because I love these varieties and have brewed with then several times.

The beer poured nice clear, light amber color, the smell... not so great, not bad just not like a hop garden like I was hoping for. The first taste made me have to step away, the aftertaste was this strange sour metallic taste that I am still not sure what it came from. Tasted it a few more times to try to get past is and taste the rest of the beer, but just couldn't do it. Had a buddy of mine over that also enjoys IPA's and had him taste it also, one taste and he was also done.

Sad to say but this IPA that I looked forward to due to using some of my favorite varieties of hops was kind of a let down.

2.38/5  rDev -32.8%

This poured to a nice bright orange and gold with a medium head. It shrank and stayed at a ring, and it isn't leaving much lace.

The smell has plenty of hops but it isn't a good combination. Also, it has a burnt and stale flavor. The taste is no better. It starts with burnt malt flavors and an unappealing type of bitterness takes over in the finish. The mouthfeel is fine, though.

2.38/5  rDev -32.8%

Poured out of a 12oz Bottle into a pint glass.

A-sunset orange and hazy body with an off white thick head.

S-mango and earth (turned soil)

T-hop front is fruity with a biscuit and toast middle, some veggie underlying and a dry hop finish.

M-medium, low carbonation and a wet taste, flat

D-Critiqueing this style is tough. The beer is not hoppy enough for a West Coast APA and lacks the malty goodness of a true British IPA. I think that a beer that wants to be organic is great, however, it tastes like a standard recipe with organic ingredients. It seems like its weak on all fronts. Good flavor, don't get me wrong, just not enough of it.

2.41/5  rDev -31.9%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.5

Bottle into pint glass

A: poured out with a proud 2.5 finger head that relaxed after a few minutes. Cloudy amber disposition

S: definite floral aroma that preoccupied the senses

T: for lack of a better description, wheaty overtones with a light, secondary IPA presence.

M: a narrow body with a bitter attitude.

Note: Unfortunately, I have a bias against a particular "white" flavor I sensed in this beer so please factor that into my taste/smell rating.

White beer lovers might find this organic IPA very refreshing, but it doesn't possess the definitive rustic qualities I prefer in an IPA.

I'd revisit Wolavers' IPA on a hot, summer day with female friends, but wouldn't select as a year-round go-to.

2.45/5  rDev -30.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2

I tried this for many reasons...never had it before, it was organic, wanted to see what it tasted like...

It poured very, very clear pale orange color. The hops were present but not in your face. I did find the first few sips to be a bit bitter actually. It was pretty balanced, but overall, I wasn't that knocked over by this beer.

I think that there just wasn't any one characteristic that really jumped out at me...it was a bit bland. I think there is a place for IPAs that are not out to overwhelm you with their hop profile, but there really wasn't anything to recommend this beer as one you'd want to have again and again.

2.48/5  rDev -29.9%

Let's start with the smell? It's strong, but what is it? Burnt corn stalks? Burnt newspaper? Something burnt...something not right. Then, the taste--yeah, it could be corn stalks or newspaper. It's the hops that are the culprit--they don't taste like hops in beer, more like hops eaten straight off the cone, which I did out of curiosity at a recent Sam Adams brewery tour. I do recommend that you eat at least one hops cone in your life, just to see what it's like and to say that you did, but I can't recommend that you try this beer. (Apart from the hops, this beer looks and tastes weak and thin...just in case you were wondering).

2.53/5  rDev -28.5%

Nicey hazy golden color. Lots of carbonation. Fluffy, pillowy head with some rings of lace. More golden yellow than orange.

Smell of chlorine over bittering hops. A light hint of fruit, like lemon. That chlorine is an unfortunate side-effect of its organicness.

The hops in the flavor are bitter and kind of non-descript. Bitter like a German pilsner; not flowery or grapefruity. A hint of mowed grass. Chlorine is still there in the taste. Has an ok spicy end, but not enough to salvage it.

Feels fizzy with a bite at the end. It's really more like a pilsner than an IPA. Better as it warms but disappointing.

Wolaver's India Pale Ale from Otter Creek Brewing / Wolaver's