Otter Creek Stovepipe Porter - Otter Creek Brewing / Wolaver's

Otter Creek Stovepipe PorterOtter Creek Stovepipe Porter

Otter Creek Brewing / Wolaver's
Vermont, United States

American Porter |  4.40% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 03-17-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Otter Creek Stovepipe Porter Alström Bros
1.85/5  rDev -51.4%

Poured from a 12oz bottle (other reviews and the beer label claim a bottled on date but I couldn't find any) into a pint glass. It was black with mahogany highlights. Lots of lacing. It had a finger of tan head that slowly settled into a constant foam.

The aroma had a weird, off-putting initial smell that I could never pin down. Past that was chocolate malt and a good smoky flavor. The taste was pretty good but whatever affected the smell was impacting the taste as well. Not enough of a bite to it for me and it had a watery taste which impacted the mouthfeel. I usually love a good porter so maybe this is just a bad sample. Will need to try again.

Overall, unless I got a bad sample, this one is a bit of a mess. Weird smell and taste followed up with watery taste and mouthfeel. Will try again if I can get in a mixed six or single. Otherwise, this may be a one and done.

UPDATE: re-sampled and it was still bad. This time had a horrible bitter taste to it. One and done. Avoid

TexIndy, Oct 20, 2008

cfalovo97, Nov 06, 2012

enginero, Feb 05, 2012

Savage51, Mar 07, 2013

StaindProject86, Mar 10, 2012
2.03/5  rDev -46.7%

A friend gave me this beer to try out of a six-pack they purchased. I like a good porter, but this was not one. I almost think I got a bad bottle. It poured a very dark brown, not the rich black I would expect. It had not head on it. The mouth feel was thin and watery. There was none of the depth I expect from a porter, just a off-putting sweetness. I could not bring myself to finish it.

schenked, May 09, 2006
2.1/5  rDev -44.9%

Not a huge fan of porters, I like the Stouts a lot better.

This just wasn't that good. It was recommended at a beer place in Swansboro NC. I was looking at different dark beers, and she recommended it.

I think it is basic. Not too complex. Definitely not 1 I would purchase again.

righthereisay, Sep 04, 2009
2.3/5  rDev -39.6%

Dark brown in appearance. This beer has a strong coffee smell. The mouthfeel is less desirable, leaves a bitter taste, not a desireable result. The coffee takes over with this porter. We here at barley road have had better. Average to best. The taste is very strong with coffee. If you like your porter in this style you will not be disappointed. Overall this is a drinkable beer if you know what you are in for. Enjoy.

barleyroad, Oct 13, 2011

wattoclone, Sep 12, 2012

twentyfour01, May 27, 2012

Soxfan45, Jul 18, 2013

jfcaa193, Feb 05, 2012

cmuir24, Feb 28, 2012
2.5/5  rDev -34.4%

A - A small two finger head that dissipates in about two minutes. A tiny bit of lacing, almost none though. There is a slight reddidh tint to this dark brew.

S - Molasses and coffee. Moderately strong odor. It isn't particularly amazing.

T - A bit of burnt malt with a touch of elderberries and coffee in the foretaste. The aftertaste is a mild smoky, slightly chemical bitterness.

M - Carbonation is a tiny bit high, but nothing bad. It is a medium viscosity beer and it is about neutral in the refreshment department.

D - This is a pretty mediocre porter around the board. It is lacks anything spectacular or awful, but I can drink it. I wouldn't session it since the bitterness is awkward and a bit unpleasant. It isn't worth drinking more than once since there is nothing to the flavor really. Again it isn't bad, just mediocre.

mrasskicktastic, Nov 01, 2006
2.58/5  rDev -32.3%

The Stove Pipe Porter poured a dark coffee with a Mocha head. It had good lacing, they nailed the "Porter" look. The scent of campfire comes to mind when you brought it your nose. There were faint herbal scents.
The smoke is up front and finished with a bitter smoke. Muddled flavors. This was aptly named.
The mouth-feel was not bad.
I probably will stay away from this one in the future. The flavors were just overpowered by the smoke.

SpencerT, Feb 03, 2008
2.6/5  rDev -31.8%

I bought this Ottercreek Stovepipe Porter as part of a Sampler variety pack.It poured a dark solid black with a nice thick foamy white head.It smelled of hops and had a bitterness to it.I was disappointed with the taste,being it didnt really have any.It lacked in my opinion the smokey taste a Porter usually delivers.It was thick and malty but lacked any real distinctive taste.It had great carbonation,but overall it didnt impress me.

kelticblood, Dec 19, 2002
2.6/5  rDev -31.8%

A- Poured into a tulip glass. It's body was was almost jet black, but light permiable holding an unremarkable off white thin head with a crazy outter space looing lacing.
S-Roasted chocolate, malt, and coffee were present.
T-On the draw it was somewhat tart flowing into a malty slight hopped flavorless finish.
M-It was very typical for the style...Porterish!
D-Again this was a Beer of the Month and I was intrigued to try it...which lead to my ultimate dissappointment. Despite this beer I will continue to try East Coast beers.

RJUGA03, Dec 04, 2009
2.65/5  rDev -30.4%

From notes, single purchased at Woodman's West here in Madison.

Pour is a dark garnet - a little too light and transparent for a good porter - under a finger of khaki foam that fades instantly to a skim.

Nose is mostly burnt coffee grounds and copper with a malty grain undertone.

Taste starts off startlingly metallic but fades into toasty malts and extreme burnt coffee ground bitterness with a Bud Select-esque watery finish.

Mouthfeel is quite thin, again watery, and the carbonation is more soda than beer....biting.

Not an impressive offering from Otter Creek. I enjoy a good porter and this falls short in almost every way.

Golden2wenty1, Jul 13, 2006
2.7/5  rDev -29.1%

Presentation: 12 oz bottle into a nonic glass.

A- Deep brown with ruby highlights. 1+ finger of light brown head, which fades to a thin, oily cap.

S- Earthy hop note upon pouring that fades quickly. Roasted malts, and a slightly acrid hint of coffee.

T- Some roasty maltiness and stale coffee with a bit of an astringent acrid twang. Otherwise, fairly bland. Not really working.

M- Moderately low carbonation. Quite a bit too light on feel....fairly watery. Definitely detracts.

O- Meh. Looked and smelled ok, but weak body and an insipid flavor profile make this one a failure in my book.

Future outlook: I don't foresee any effort towards getting more of this.

DoctorDog, Mar 23, 2011
2.7/5  rDev -29.1%

Poured a dark brown with a nice white head. Couldn't smell much at all. Got a whiff of malts and maybe some coffee but nothing that jumps out at you. Pretty bland tasting. I think the carbonation was a little overpowering. I tasted malts and roasted coffee. I guess it tasted like carbonated hazelnut coffee. It was easy drinking so I give it credit for that. Overall, a below average porter. I haven't had much luck with the Otter Creek line.

mattcrill, Jul 02, 2004
2.73/5  rDev -28.3%

Presentation: Poured from a 12 oz brown bottle into a shaker pint glass.

Appearance: Pours with just shy of two fingers of medium tan head. This Settles slowly to a decent cap of foam, leaving behind fair lacing. Beer is black and opaque.

Smell: Not much here; strong metallic notes.

Taste: Mild roasted barley, but strong metallic flavors.

Mouthfeel: Average carbonation level. Body is okay.

Drinkability: Pretty bland with some off flavors. Not one I would seek out again.

beveritt, Dec 06, 2009

This beer.... hmmmm....

Well, I don't like it. Here's why:

There is little to no head retention.

The smell is very faint...and all I get is a little chocolate malt and roast barley?

Taste is not good. Where's the caramel taste to balance the hops and charcoal burntness? The label proclaims it has plenty of roasted barley? Roasted? This is not a stout. Porters should not be roasted. A porter should be made with black malt... that's why its a porter?

Overall, the beer is not drinkable. There's too much sharpness/acidity from the roasted barley? and hops, and not enough caramel sweetness or finish. An average beer, at best.

P.S.

Quote from my friend:

"This beer tastes like soy sauce!"

Sixpoint, Aug 29, 2004

bottled on 2/19/09

Used an imperial pint glass. Pours a black opaque color with deep garnet where the light penetrates. A fluffy, rootbeer float head with a color the same-tan and creamy. Frothy foam leaves a nice cling and patchwork of lacing on the glass as the head drops after about 2 minutes. Very creamy and full bodied-looking, as I imagine a good porter to be. The creamy head coats the glass as the beer is consumed.

Strong nose of bitter malts and black coffee, maybe some molasses or black licorice. The bitter malt and coffee dominates and anything else that might be in there is muted. One dimensional.

The taste is of dark and burnt black patent malt. An unpleasant bitterness in the taste, like when eating a black malt grain, hints of some hops in there. The burnt coffee and carcinogenic really affects the taste of the beer. Finishes with a residual bitterness in the back of the throat. It definitely gets better as it warms up, the flavors come out and melt a bit more and it becomes a more consumable beverage than it first began as. That's all I want out of a beer: consumability. It may not be a word, but you get the line of thinking.

Some creaminess in the mouth after it has warmed up. Though, it is thin and watered down. Could be more thick and chewier. No beer should be this thin.

The bitterness is just too much, not very consumable at all.

It started off so great but went downhill fast. I would rather have a high scoring taste rather than a high scoring appearance.

SaintPeter, Apr 24, 2009
2.75/5  rDev -27.8%

VeganUndead, Apr 04, 2014
2.8/5  rDev -26.5%

Pours a deep black with a creamy tan head.

Smells fairly malty and roasted. Some coffee and dark chocolate notes.

Hits up front with sweet malty flavors, and finishes with a dry roasted coffe bitterness.

Slighty thin for what I expected from the style and color. The aftertaste is a bit too bitter for me as well.

Worth a taste, but I don't see myself going for many of these.

MisterDeeds, Aug 14, 2008