Otter Creek Copper Ale - Otter Creek Brewing / Wolaver's

Otter Creek Brewing / Wolaver's
Vermont, United States

Altbier |  5.00% ABV

Beer added by: pezoids on 03-17-2001

Our award-winning flagship brew inspired by the beers of Northern Germany. Copper Ale is a complex amber ale handcrafted with six malts, three hops and the spirit of the Green Mountains.

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Otter Creek Copper Ale Alström Bros
1.24/5  rDev -65.7%

Another product from Otter Creek that uses aluminum as an adjunct. For unknown reasons, the Copper Ale and the Oktoberfest initially taste as if they were cooked on Mom's stove in an aluminum saucepan.

There are better ales out there, in my opinion, this belongs in the adjunct lager category.

1.89/5  rDev -47.6%

Do not read this review if the thought of a man eviscerating the carcass of an equine deep in the throes of rigor mortis is upsetting or offensive to your sensibilities.

A - It pours a brilliant, translucent copper, of course, with a small head, and a bit of lace.

S - The smell is almost nothing but a bit of buttery biscuit. Very lame.

T - The taste is mostly buttery, biscuity and bland, not necessarily in that order, also very dry with a strange assertive metallic hop bitterness; perhaps it's brewed with real copper? And a strong alcohol burn from a low ABV? Not good. Inspired by Altbier? This misses by a mile.

M - In keeping with this beer's theme: not good. Astringent and metallic.

D - Again, in case you didn't understand my opinion, this beer is not good, though it has some interesting elements. I would question the judgment and sanity of anyone who strongly advocates this. Strangely, I have had it a number of times, despite the fact that I don't like it, my friends don't like it, and the only people I know who are down with it are literally from Vermont.

2.15/5  rDev -40.4%

Served at OBF 2003.

Looks can be deceiving. This beer looked fine, sporting a rich copper hue. The smell was bad; like opening the freezer and smelling old fish sticks. Not sure how that could have slipped in though. The taste was remarkably flat and un-detailed, like the beer itself had been milled. Quite disappointed, I poured and moved on.

2.27/5  rDev -37.1%

A copper color body that is crystal clear. Great looking foamy head that lasts and leaves a lasting lace. Aroma was not very enticing. Very earthy and leafy and with a burnt smell to it. Taste was similar to the smell - earthy and with a strong burnt bready flavor. A good hop bitterness but not much else besides that and the bad robust earthy and burnt flavors. I dont think black malts are supposed to give it this taste. Whatever it is, I don't really care for it at all. Ive had much better altbiers before. Wouldn't want to drink another one of these. The bottle itself and the pour were the best aspects of the beer.

2.29/5  rDev -36.6%

Served in a pint glass from a bottle. Poured a clear copper color with 1" white head. No lacing was left as the head disappeared.

Smells a little funky, ricey, earthy. I think it may have gone bad.

Tastes like it smells. Not terrible, but not a taste/smell I can place or have experienced before. I'm drinking it anyway.

Mouthfeel is medium with good carbonation.

As noted above, I think the bottle I tried was bad, so the score may not be representative. If I get a hold of another bottle, I will review this beer again.

2.37/5  rDev -34.3%

A- Otter Copper pours slightly hazey, -but beautiful- golden-amber. The head is ample and fluffy. Lacing is good. This beer is great to look at.

S- The nose is caramel and malts.

T- A little caramel and malts is outshined by the metallic taste.

M- Low carbonation and light tongue weight pretty much sum up this beer.

Overall, this brew takes great pictures. It's great to look at, but, less rewarding to drink. It IS a good beer- I just don't love it. I'd drink it again- there just isn't anything distinguished or noteable about it.

2.43/5  rDev -32.7%

Not my favorite beer of all time. The name suggests that it may taste like sucking on pennies, and while that isn't accurate, it isn't much better. Far too bitter for me, and the I guess the aftertaste could be a little metallic, but to me it just seems too hoppy. I know Otter Creek puts out a Pale Ale too, but this tastes like an IPA to me. I dig their Stovepipe Porter, and their White Sail is good too. They also have growlers that seem to be seasonal and regional that are worth a shot. If you dig the IPA scene or consider yourself a "hophead", you will probably enjoy this one. It's just not for me.

2.5/5  rDev -30.7%

This beer was aquired via a trade with Hyland24. Poured from a brown 12oz bottle into a pint glass.

A - A nice slightly cloudy amber color. The ale looked lighter at the bottom and got increasingly darker towards the head. The head was thick,foamy and white, with slight lacing.

S - Floral aroma with a slight hoppiness. Strong malty notes and slightly soapy smell.

T - Malty floral taste that finishes with a bitter medicinal, soap-like flavor. Dry slightly hoppy and metallic aftertaste.

MF&D - Slightly carbonated with a smooth almost oily mouthfeel. The ale coated the mouth well and hung around the long after the swallow, which would have been good if the taste would have been better. Tasted like I was drinking a subpar IPA with a handful of pennies in my mouth. I did not enjoy this ale would not purchase it in the future.

2.51/5  rDev -30.5%

Appearance: body is copper as promised, very clear. Head is rather yellow, a bit chunky, and 1/2" thick.

Aroma: yeasty, dry malt, a little bit of canned tuna? Not entirely optimistic about this one. Little bit of caramel-y scent on later whiffs.

Taste & mouthfeel: Body is a bit heavy, with the sour fizz of American hops. This gives way to a curt, crisp malty finish, which is about the only Alt-like aspect of this beer. Another tired American micro "interpretation" of a European classic.

Drinkability: Why bother? Neither the aroma nor the taste is especially good, and the palate is a bit heavy to boot.

2.51/5  rDev -30.5%

Not much going on in the head department, just a thin off-white film across the surface. The color is a dark copper. The smell is strong and very malty with some caramel thrown in. The taste is malty, too with a bit of burnt toast. Maybe it's supposed to taste/smell like this, but for me it's too much. I've had this beer in bottles and from kegs before, and it was a lot mellower, not overpowered by what tastes like the center of a Malt Ball (I hate Malt Balls!). I'll give it another try down the road, but I definitely woln't be seeking it out anytime soon.

2.54/5  rDev -29.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

I had this beer years ago and remember loving it. However I grabbed a six pack the other day and had a different experience. It poured out a beautiful copper color which was the only thing that seemed the same. The smell was graining and floral, but not awesome. The taste was pretty similar. Had a nice head on it but a little too much carbonation for me. All in all a half way decent beer but definitely the same as it was before. Not sure if its a new recipe or a off batch. Guess I'll have to pick it up a six pack again ina few months and find out.

2.65/5  rDev -26.6%

served in a standard pint glass from a 12oz bottle.

a: pours copper (surprise!) in color with a thin white head that fades quickly. hoped for more head retention. nothing special at all.

s: pretty bland nose with notes of caramel malts and grassy hops. not much there. could use more dry hopping.

t: crisp, slightly sweet malty flavor up front balanced by notes of grassy hops. watery character that i'd expect out of a BMC faux-craft beer. i've had better.

m&d: smooth mouthfeel; okay drinkability.

nothing special here. move along. if there is one beer in Otter Creek's lineup that is in need of overhaul it's this one. since when does altbier mean "boring, uninspired ale"? that's the vibe i got with this one. will not have again.

2.66/5  rDev -26.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

For some reason, I'm not digging this beer. There is this flavor that I just can't describe, and it's put me off. On the plus side, the hops & malt are well balanced, and it's pretty easy to pick them apart. There is also a nice caramel quality to it. "Copper Ale" really describes its appearance. Imagine a pennies in a glass.

It's tough for me to tell how much this beer is just me, the style, or the beer itself. I've liked other Altbiers, so it's probably not the style. There is definitely some great things about it, I'm just kind of put off by that undefinable taste. I'm positive that the beer isn't light spoiled (or the like) because I got it from a variety pack, and the rest are fine. I guess I'll leave this review as a personal benchmark and have to review it some other time.

2.7/5  rDev -25.2%

This brew pours a beautiful dark copper color with a small head which quickly dissapates and minimal lacing. Not much carbonation.

The smell is heavy on malts and spice, can't tell which type, possibly toffee in there as well.

The mouthfeel is light and bready, slightly chewy.

The taste is very malt heavy, once the brew warms up a little a spice of some type, possibly cinnnamon, can be tasted along with toffee and some toasted grains. The lable promised some hops on the back end but I did not taste any.

This brew is very malty sweet and a little spicy. If you like heavy malts with some spice you will probably like this brew. However I would have liked to taste something besides spice and some toffee mixed in with the malts. I have had better beers from Otter Creek.

2.71/5  rDev -24.9%

Otter Creek Copper Ale: from a twelve ounce bottle. It pours a very clear copper color (ding, ding, no false advertising here). The head is a rocky off-white, with nice staying power, and leaves fairly thick rings down the sides of the glass.

The smell is interesting and assertive: it has definite hints of smoke and a bit of peat, as well.

The taste is, to my palate anyway, very metallic, and it has a bit of a taste of peat/caramel, almost like a scotch whiskey, stripped of its alcohol and served in a pewter mug. The aftertaste is of old hay, with a bit of malty/smoke. Not really all that tasty of a brew.

Light bodied, and fairly well carbonated, perhaps even a bit to much so.

2.73/5  rDev -24.4%

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle left over from a party. Labeled with a "Bottled on" date of 1/4/2006. Amber/light brown in color with a 1/4 inch ivory head. Appears to have high-carbonation from the overly active bubbles. The beer is fairly clear, and the 1/4 in. head remained all throughout the tasting. This beer has a malty, slightly toasty scent. No hint of a hop aroma.

This beer has a stong malt taste with some noteable hop bitterness. Not a citrusy hop flavor like American hops - more European (and that would fit with this style). The beer has a dry finish with a somewhat bitter after taste.

The mouthfeel is fairly light, but I was expecting much higher carbonation from its appearance. The mouthfeel is very smooth. The beer is fairly drinkable, but not very pleasing to me. Some strong malt flavors without corresponding other flavors that I enjoy.

2.76/5  rDev -23.5%

Pours a medium amber color. Good head, minor lacing. Very hoppy aroma. Taste is strong almost overwhelming. Heavy hops bitterness. Not my cup of tea. had a hard time finishing the one I poured. Maybe personal taste, unfortunately Ive had better from Otter Creek.

2.78/5  rDev -23%

This was something I've never heard of and decided to give it a try. It poured a nice gold color, not too much head. The smell was as you expect to from any ale. It had a hoppy fruity smell to it. However, when I got to the taste I was not impressed. Left a dry taste. Some bitterness and distaste. I was not impressed with this one.

2.79/5  rDev -22.7%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into stange.

A - Clear copper, as the name suggests, with 2 to 3 fingers of head just a half shade lower than white. Moderate retention with minimal lacing.

S - Really, really weird. The first thing that hits me is is one of those kids juice drinks in the ubiquitous plastic bottles. Artificial fruit smells of watermelon, peach, cherry, and kiwi are all pronounced. Faint weird biscuity aroma as well. I don't know what the hell this is.

T - Strange, earthy bread fills the palate accompanied with some sort of artificial fruitiness. Though difficult to describe, it's not all together pleasant. Grassy, earthy, mineral-like, and borderline medicinal hops all pull through late palate to make things a little more interesting. The flavors going on here just aren't tasty. The whole picture comes together as a cross between some exotic herb tea and a well-maintained compost heap. Not exactly appealing.

M - On the lighter side of medium bodied with moderate to high carbonation.

D - Admittedly I'm not wildly familiar with altbiers, but this stuff is just kind of gross; I feel like I'm choking down that compost-like taste at times. A strange experience overall that I don't care to repeat any time soon.

2.82/5  rDev -21.9%
look: 4 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.75

DATE REVIEWED: May 24, 2014... GLASSWARE: Howard's Pub pint... OCCASION: a holdover from the last poker night... APPEARANCE: dark amber body that is lively and slightly opaque; off-white head is mostly creamy with a bit of rocky space; good open lacing... AROMA: sharp caramel malts with enough metallic clank to disturb the doughy biscuit that settles... PALATE: smooth yet slightly warm; mellow, swift and too light to hold attention... TASTE: nutty and caramel with the sweetness near to lip-smacking; hops are in check and not distinguishable... OVERALLL: serviceable and sessionable, but not a six-pack I'd seek to revisit; rather straightforward and predictable, with only the comfort factor working in its favor....

2.82/5  rDev -21.9%

12 oz bottle. Pours deep golden with a thin, white head and lively carbonation. Aroma is bready malt, caramel and grassy hops. Light-medium body is smooth. Flavor is of light grassy hops and caramel malt. Light, short finish. Nothing exciting about this brew.

2.83/5  rDev -21.6%

Pours a clean clear orange amber straw color hue. Nice clean white head disapates to a nice lace ring around the pint. Smells light toasted malt sweetness. Mild hint of a roasted caramel. Nice malt taste mild hint of hops for a nice well rounded balance. Nice hop tang in the finish very subtle bread like yeast mixed in. Good drinkability and enjoyable. Still holds true from the first time I had this beer back in college at St. Mike's. Good offering well worth trying.

2.84/5  rDev -21.3%

Copper color in the pour is more amber than copper, at least in this thick glassed stein. Color leads me to anticipate a medium to full bodied ale that is full in flavor but alas, it is very light in body and light in taste. So, appearance somewhat betrays the character of the beer.

Dallops of lace retain well on top of the beer and never seem to leave the rims of my glass. Very pleasing appearance overall, however it's just not a typical match for the beer's other characteristics.

Bottle label boasts the use of six malts, but initially on the palate the malt takes a backseat to steal-y hops, and the light body surprises you. Very watery. Disappointing. Where's the malt?

Bottling date on the bottle is appreciated. I hate buying mystery beer. Otter Creek has a few offerings that I love but I'm disappointed in this one. Served blind to me I mistook this for the product of a macro brewery who illegitimately tried to create a beer for the "micro" crowd... but failed. (i.e. amber bock, blue moon, etc.)

I'll be serving these to the wife.

2.86/5  rDev -20.8%

Pours a copper color (huh...) with a small head, with decent retention, and some lacing (poured from a bottle into a mug). The smell was not very strong...but slightly malty from what I did smell of it. Has a roasty malty taste to it with a touch of bitterness, although not a very strong taste overall. Feels good and clean in the mouth, without very much carbonation. A decent beer...not bad, but not amazing.

2.88/5  rDev -20.2%

Otter Creek Copper Ale

Appearance- copper brown with a weak fizzy white head.
Smell- slight hops and malt. I think I detect a metallic odor?!
Taste- dry and slighty bitter. Some hops here and a dash of malt.

Overall- not good but not bad. A definite, "Have I ever drank this before?!" beer.

Otter Creek Copper Ale from Otter Creek Brewing / Wolaver's