Otter Creek Copper Ale - Otter Creek Brewing / Wolaver's

good

Otter Creek Brewing / Wolaver's
Vermont, United States

Altbier |  5.00% ABV

(Beer added by: pezoids on 03-17-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Otter Creek Copper Ale Alström Bros
wailingwench

New Mexico

1.2/5  rDev -66.9%

Another product from Otter Creek that uses aluminum as an adjunct. For unknown reasons, the Copper Ale and the Oktoberfest initially taste as if they were cooked on Mom's stove in an aluminum saucepan.

There are better ales out there, in my opinion, this belongs in the adjunct lager category.

09-05-2004 03:13:13 | More by wailingwench

1.5/5  rDev -58.6%

11-15-2011 14:51:09 | More by GennyCreamAle
ktrillionaire

1.85/5  rDev -48.9%

Do not read this review if the thought of a man eviscerating the carcass of an equine deep in the throes of rigor mortis is upsetting or offensive to your sensibilities.

A - It pours a brilliant, translucent copper, of course, with a small head, and a bit of lace.

S - The smell is almost nothing but a bit of buttery biscuit. Very lame.

T - The taste is mostly buttery, biscuity and bland, not necessarily in that order, also very dry with a strange assertive metallic hop bitterness; perhaps it's brewed with real copper? And a strong alcohol burn from a low ABV? Not good. Inspired by Altbier? This misses by a mile.

M - In keeping with this beer's theme: not good. Astringent and metallic.

D - Again, in case you didn't understand my opinion, this beer is not good, though it has some interesting elements. I would question the judgment and sanity of anyone who strongly advocates this. Strangely, I have had it a number of times, despite the fact that I don't like it, my friends don't like it, and the only people I know who are down with it are literally from Vermont.

02-16-2010 02:15:48 | More by ktrillionaire

freed

Oregon

2.15/5  rDev -40.6%

Served at OBF 2003.

Looks can be deceiving. This beer looked fine, sporting a rich copper hue. The smell was bad; like opening the freezer and smelling old fish sticks. Not sure how that could have slipped in though. The taste was remarkably flat and un-detailed, like the beer itself had been milled. Quite disappointed, I poured and moved on.

07-27-2003 16:48:29 | More by freed
palma

2.25/5  rDev -37.8%

A copper color body that is crystal clear. Great looking foamy head that lasts and leaves a lasting lace. Aroma was not very enticing. Very earthy and leafy and with a burnt smell to it. Taste was similar to the smell - earthy and with a strong burnt bready flavor. A good hop bitterness but not much else besides that and the bad robust earthy and burnt flavors. I dont think black malts are supposed to give it this taste. Whatever it is, I don't really care for it at all. Ive had much better altbiers before. Wouldn't want to drink another one of these. The bottle itself and the pour were the best aspects of the beer.

01-28-2004 08:36:29 | More by palma
KOPBeerDrinker

2.28/5  rDev -37%

Served in a pint glass from a bottle. Poured a clear copper color with 1" white head. No lacing was left as the head disappeared.

Smells a little funky, ricey, earthy. I think it may have gone bad.

Tastes like it smells. Not terrible, but not a taste/smell I can place or have experienced before. I'm drinking it anyway.

Mouthfeel is medium with good carbonation.

As noted above, I think the bottle I tried was bad, so the score may not be representative. If I get a hold of another bottle, I will review this beer again.

12-31-2008 03:38:43 | More by KOPBeerDrinker
brewcifix

Connecticut

2.36/5  rDev -34.8%

A- Otter Copper pours slightly hazey, -but beautiful- golden-amber. The head is ample and fluffy. Lacing is good. This beer is great to look at.

S- The nose is caramel and malts.

T- A little caramel and malts is outshined by the metallic taste.

M- Low carbonation and light tongue weight pretty much sum up this beer.

Overall, this brew takes great pictures. It's great to look at, but, less rewarding to drink. It IS a good beer- I just don't love it. I'd drink it again- there just isn't anything distinguished or noteable about it.

05-25-2013 15:34:06 | More by brewcifix
MisterDeeds

2.42/5  rDev -33.1%

Not my favorite beer of all time. The name suggests that it may taste like sucking on pennies, and while that isn't accurate, it isn't much better. Far too bitter for me, and the I guess the aftertaste could be a little metallic, but to me it just seems too hoppy. I know Otter Creek puts out a Pale Ale too, but this tastes like an IPA to me. I dig their Stovepipe Porter, and their White Sail is good too. They also have growlers that seem to be seasonal and regional that are worth a shot. If you dig the IPA scene or consider yourself a "hophead", you will probably enjoy this one. It's just not for me.

06-01-2007 04:11:03 | More by MisterDeeds
nasty15108

2.45/5  rDev -32.3%

This beer was aquired via a trade with Hyland24. Poured from a brown 12oz bottle into a pint glass.

A - A nice slightly cloudy amber color. The ale looked lighter at the bottom and got increasingly darker towards the head. The head was thick,foamy and white, with slight lacing.

S - Floral aroma with a slight hoppiness. Strong malty notes and slightly soapy smell.

T - Malty floral taste that finishes with a bitter medicinal, soap-like flavor. Dry slightly hoppy and metallic aftertaste.

MF&D - Slightly carbonated with a smooth almost oily mouthfeel. The ale coated the mouth well and hung around the long after the swallow, which would have been good if the taste would have been better. Tasted like I was drinking a subpar IPA with a handful of pennies in my mouth. I did not enjoy this ale would not purchase it in the future.

03-07-2008 15:04:46 | More by nasty15108
PeatReek

2.5/5  rDev -30.9%

Appearance: body is copper as promised, very clear. Head is rather yellow, a bit chunky, and 1/2" thick.

Aroma: yeasty, dry malt, a little bit of canned tuna? Not entirely optimistic about this one. Little bit of caramel-y scent on later whiffs.

Taste & mouthfeel: Body is a bit heavy, with the sour fizz of American hops. This gives way to a curt, crisp malty finish, which is about the only Alt-like aspect of this beer. Another tired American micro "interpretation" of a European classic.

Drinkability: Why bother? Neither the aroma nor the taste is especially good, and the palate is a bit heavy to boot.

03-03-2006 23:23:10 | More by PeatReek

01-28-2012 04:52:36 | More by EvanWilliams
HappyHourHero

Indiana

2.5/5  rDev -30.9%

Not much going on in the head department, just a thin off-white film across the surface. The color is a dark copper. The smell is strong and very malty with some caramel thrown in. The taste is malty, too with a bit of burnt toast. Maybe it's supposed to taste/smell like this, but for me it's too much. I've had this beer in bottles and from kegs before, and it was a lot mellower, not overpowered by what tastes like the center of a Malt Ball (I hate Malt Balls!). I'll give it another try down the road, but I definitely woln't be seeking it out anytime soon.

10-28-2003 01:38:50 | More by HappyHourHero
Rekrule

03-21-2014 15:55:22 | More by Rekrule
beerdude63

2.55/5  rDev -29.6%

I had this beer years ago and remember loving it. However I grabbed a six pack the other day and had a different experience. It poured out a beautiful copper color which was the only thing that seemed the same. The smell was graining and floral, but not awesome. The taste was pretty similar. Had a nice head on it but a little too much carbonation for me. All in all a half way decent beer but definitely the same as it was before. Not sure if its a new recipe or a off batch. Guess I'll have to pick it up a six pack again ina few months and find out.

02-02-2011 20:33:30 | More by beerdude63
tzieser

Arizona

2.65/5  rDev -26.8%

served in a standard pint glass from a 12oz bottle.

a: pours copper (surprise!) in color with a thin white head that fades quickly. hoped for more head retention. nothing special at all.

s: pretty bland nose with notes of caramel malts and grassy hops. not much there. could use more dry hopping.

t: crisp, slightly sweet malty flavor up front balanced by notes of grassy hops. watery character that i'd expect out of a BMC faux-craft beer. i've had better.

m&d: smooth mouthfeel; okay drinkability.

nothing special here. move along. if there is one beer in Otter Creek's lineup that is in need of overhaul it's this one. since when does altbier mean "boring, uninspired ale"? that's the vibe i got with this one. will not have again.

02-28-2011 23:11:18 | More by tzieser
Contra

2.65/5  rDev -26.8%

For some reason, I'm not digging this beer. There is this flavor that I just can't describe, and it's put me off. On the plus side, the hops & malt are well balanced, and it's pretty easy to pick them apart. There is also a nice caramel quality to it. "Copper Ale" really describes its appearance. Imagine a pennies in a glass.

It's tough for me to tell how much this beer is just me, the style, or the beer itself. I've liked other Altbiers, so it's probably not the style. There is definitely some great things about it, I'm just kind of put off by that undefinable taste. I'm positive that the beer isn't light spoiled (or the like) because I got it from a variety pack, and the rest are fine. I guess I'll leave this review as a personal benchmark and have to review it some other time.

05-26-2007 20:38:45 | More by Contra
jackndan

2.68/5  rDev -26%

Otter Creek Copper Ale: from a twelve ounce bottle. It pours a very clear copper color (ding, ding, no false advertising here). The head is a rocky off-white, with nice staying power, and leaves fairly thick rings down the sides of the glass.

The smell is interesting and assertive: it has definite hints of smoke and a bit of peat, as well.

The taste is, to my palate anyway, very metallic, and it has a bit of a taste of peat/caramel, almost like a scotch whiskey, stripped of its alcohol and served in a pewter mug. The aftertaste is of old hay, with a bit of malty/smoke. Not really all that tasty of a brew.

Light bodied, and fairly well carbonated, perhaps even a bit to much so.

Meh.