Otter Creek Copper Ale - Otter Creek Brewing / Wolaver's

good

Otter Creek Brewing / Wolaver's
Vermont, United States

Altbier |  5.00% ABV

(Beer added by: pezoids on 03-17-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Otter Creek Copper Ale Alström Bros
chiefydawg

3.23/5  rDev -10.8%

Got this one in a variety pack of other Otter Creek beers. After sipping this, I recalled a taste found in the other beers in the pack. So, reading up, I noticed: this is not pasteurized, it was brewed in July '07, and I cannot say what kinds of temperature changes it has sustained. So this beer may not be nearly as good as one in, say, Vermont in August.
(Here's an abbreviated review until I can get some fresh brew.)

That being said, I still found the beer to be quite drinkable. It has that nice copper color, but little lace. There was some sweet bread smell that kept me interested; and the taste actually improves as it warms. Unfortunately, I could catch more of the the watery, flat finish to every drink is the recurring taste no matter how well it hit initially hit the tongue. Medium bodied as promised, it went down smoothly and imparted some good clean caramel before the aftertaste immediately downgraded it again. An average beer that I would not buy, but would be thrilled to drink if offered one.

12-26-2007 02:37:10 | More by chiefydawg
animal69

Louisiana

3.25/5  rDev -10.2%

the second offering was their alt ; the beer pours a slightly hazy reddish-gold w/ a thin white head which dissipates quickly leaving little lacing ; a sour caramel w/ faint hints of darker fruits as it warms, very little hop aroma as well ; a crisp, strangely tart, malty nut-like flavor, at first, then the flavor thins out quickly leaving a watered down mostly munich/caramel flavor behind, a bit of citrusy hop in there as well ; a dry, med. body w/ mild carbonation, could be thinner to match the lighter flavor ; not a bad drinking beer, not my top choice for an alt at all (say that three times, fast)....

12-01-2007 07:09:54 | More by animal69
mikesgroove

South Carolina

3.65/5  rDev +0.8%

12oz bottle poured into a pint glass

A - Poured a very clear copper amber with some small visible carbonation and a decent two finger high head of white fomay lace. Decent retention left behind some nice side glass lace and a decent film across the top.

S - The aroma was really packed with tons of bready malts. Cereal grains taking over as it warms up with a decent musty sort of smell. Very much full of malt hear with a touch of barley.

T - Very sort of muted. A quick clean taste that really did not have much of a follow though to it. It really kinda was dominated by the cereal grains and earthy bread like malts that drown out anything else that might have been trying to make a run at coming forward.

M - Very smooth with a crisp clean finish. Not a ton of carbnation and the body itself was very light. It was a very light feeling, but non slick beer.

D - Very nice actually as there was nothing really holding you back from having multiples of this. Low abv and a very smooth flavor with a crisp finish lend itself well tothis.

Overall this was a decent beer, nothing really spectaculat just a decent beer, I would go to it in a pinch for sure. But faced with other options I would probably not.

11-25-2007 04:02:17 | More by mikesgroove
abcsofbeer

3.98/5  rDev +9.9%

No drink by date on this one, but, pours a very clear amber color with many rising bubbles. Topped by a two finger white head, this one has a good amount of sticky lace. The aroma is both sweet and sour with some good hop smells and a decent amount of sweet malt aroma. The taste has abundant hop bitterness and medium malt flavors that is very well blended. This is a very good beer that I would drink over and over.

10-27-2007 23:01:49 | More by abcsofbeer
allergictomacros

Ontario (Canada)

3.5/5  rDev -3.3%

A - Pours a clear copper with a one-inch head. Looks pretty solid.

S - Toasty and malty, with a whiff of pine on opening the bottle. Pine dissipates quickly leaving itty bits of floral hops in an ocean of toasty malt.

T - Dry, toasty roasted grains and a hint of fruitiness. A little bit of lemony hops are here and a bitter finish. Highlights are the roasted dry graininess. A little bit of coffee as well.

M - A little prickly I think, but after that it's a light/medium body. Did I mention dry?

D - Not bad, but not the best balanced beer. Could use a bit more hops I think but overall, a drinkable brew.

10-18-2007 01:15:09 | More by allergictomacros
albern

3.1/5  rDev -14.4%

This is a very average beer, that is enjoyable and quite drinkable. It pours a copper color, clear, decently carbonated, some head, some retention. The smell is bready malts, caramel, some floral aromas. The taste is all about the malts. You'll get your floral malts, some dry malt flavors, some burnt molasses flavors too. It's okay, nothing special, just okay. Mouthfeel is what you would come to expect from an American malty micro and the drinkability is a plus because the beer makes no real statement one way or another. You can't go wrong here, but don't expect much either.

10-13-2007 22:54:22 | More by albern
Foxman

3.53/5  rDev -2.5%

It pours a very clear and fairly carbonated golden amber. A fingernail's width of thin off-white head devolves to frizzy froth. Small sculptures of lacing carve the inside of the glass.

The aroma is mild caramel malt, distantly sweet, and it stretches out to touch an equally far-off, vaguely metallic hop note.

Upon tasting, the malt is well-toasted and somewhat earthy with caramel and baked bread. The hops are slightly grassy with a tinny edge and a twist of pepper. A brief hint of residual sweetness and a lighter bit of baked dough are dried to an airy crisp in a nicely lingering bitter finish. It's better than mediocre, but what does it say when the finish is the highlight?

Light bodied, it has a little bit of heft, flowing gradually and with a dry touch on the tongue.

The style is generally reasonably subtle, but this is more indistinct than nuanced. The thin character detracts from what might have been a decent flavor profile. The lightness of being does help make it drinkable, but I know I could do better in my search for a tasty alt. I guess I'll finish the six when I feel like having a beer I don't have to think about.

10-04-2007 17:58:23 | More by Foxman
matty

4.53/5  rDev +25.1%

I really liked this beer.It has a deep gold color and nice pleasant smell.The taste is fantastic with what seems to be an aftertaste of butterscotch or caramel.I will buy this product again although I don't think you will be able to drink many at one sitting.One of my new favorites!!

09-27-2007 05:37:47 | More by matty
svraines

Kentucky

3.33/5  rDev -8%

Pours to a thin head which dissipates quickly leaving a bit of lacing. Copper-orange in color, faint aroma of Noble hops like a German pils. Good bitterness delivers mildly nutty malt flavor. Fairly light body. Finishes dry. This would be a good beer to enjoy with something like fire-grilled pizza, but by itself is nothing spectacular.

09-07-2007 17:53:45 | More by svraines
Durge

Connecticut

3.4/5  rDev -6.1%

A thin copper colored liquid with very fine carbonation. The head is fairly thin with a bit of lacing. The aroma is malty-nut-like with a sour overtone, sort of a chemical hint. The flavor jumps out as fairly crisp malt with an orange citrus feel. Not bad. An interesting blend of the refreshing citrus and the mellow side of the malt/nut flavor one might more likely anticipate with a copper ale. There is a bitter aftertaste, not very harsh, a bit dry. I would say it is pretty drinkable but this strikes me as more of a good change up beer, fairly mild without being bland, somewhat unique I think. But there is a chemical quality that keeps popping up with this one that keeps me from giving it a better review.

08-14-2007 03:51:42 | More by Durge
gmfessen

3.23/5  rDev -10.8%

Poured from the bottle into a pint glass, beer is a hazy yellow-copper color with a thin, frothy head. Smell is sweet, slightly fruity with hints of caramel. The taste isn't all that great; very one dimensional for having "six malts and three hops", pretty well balanced though... but I think this bottle may have been past its prime because it was bottled on 09/12/06 and I'm drinking it in July. Slight caramel notes. The mouthfeel is relatively light with a low amount of carbonation. A decently drinkable beer, I would be interested to try a fresher bottle... but I won't lose any sleep over it either.

07-12-2007 02:32:49 | More by gmfessen
eberkman

4.3/5  rDev +18.8%

Poured a clear ruby amber with a thin off-white head. Aroma of caramel and toasted malts -- very pleasing. The taste was smoooth. Dominated at the start by toffeelike caramel malts with good toastiness finished off by a refreshing hoppiness that had bite but no harshness. Felt crisp and clean. Drinkability was outstanding -- I could put away a few of these without even realizing it. Big enough to stand up to hearty foods yet crisp and light enough to quench as well.

I'll get more of these.

07-10-2007 02:26:35 | More by eberkman
marksto

4.38/5  rDev +21%

Altbier - one of my favorite styles. The label describes O.C Copper Ale as "inspired by the altbiers of Northern Germeny." I'm sure this sample is quite fresh, as this beer is new to my area. I've seen and had other American micros that claim to be altbiers, and many really don't match the style of classic Dussledorf alts. I'm happy to say this one fits the bill nicely.

Appearance lives up to its name - copper colored, clear, with a medium lingering head. The aroma has the classic elements - robost, cocoa-like malt with some hoppiness and no esters. Flavor hits the mark. Noticible malt flavor up front, then becomes constrained by a dusky, dry finish. Just enough hoppiness to complement the dryness. Very flavorful, yet smooth and quenching.

The flavor of an ale matched with the smoothness of a lager - that's why I love this style, that's why I love this beer. I'll be buying a lot more. Highly recommend.

07-09-2007 01:16:37 | More by marksto
Risser09

4.5/5  rDev +24.3%

12 oz twist off bottle poured into a snifter - Acquired in a trade, probably brewed in Spring 2007

Appearance: Pours a reddish copper color with a tan head. The 1/2" head quickly fades and leaves behind a few bubbles in its wake.

Smell: Raw cocoa, sawdust, roasted peanuts, malt, ripe plum. Plenty going on here. Bold Aroma.

Taste: Nicely done. Maltiness and a little smoke at the start. A very pleasant roasted nuttiness through the middle and a dry, burnt popcorn ending. This is very nice.

Mouthfeel: Smoothe through the start and ends with a dryness accompanied by some alcohol.

Drinkability: I liked this beer a lot. I love beers that pack a flavorful punch and aren't huge alcohol bombs. Usually I find something this unique in an IPA or something hoppy. I wish I had a case of this stuff for the summer because it would become my quencher.

07-03-2007 23:32:22 | More by Risser09
KevinB

3.63/5  rDev +0.3%

Poured a cold 12oz bottle into a chilled pint glass. The appearance was amber brown with an off white, slightly tannish head. Small head, medium lacing, mild carbonation. Aroma was slightly fruity, malts in the forefront, with a mild hops presence.
The is a pretty nice tasting but mild brew, roasted malts and a hops, with a slight bitter finish . Mouthfeel is light and crisp, lower medium bodied brew, and medium carbonation.For a somewhat watery beer it has a good amount of flavor and is refreshing. Overall this is a nice light beer, very drinkable perfect for the warm months.

06-18-2007 23:51:59 | More by KevinB
barleywinebrewer

New Hampshire

3.63/5  rDev +0.3%

As of this writing there are 200 reviews on this brew. It's copper colored, malty well balanced and quite refreshing. Short review today. Rather, this was on tap at a VT restaurant and I was quite pleased at how well the VT beer was represented. Often overlooked, this beer paired amazingly well with buffalo wings and a spicy rib plate. Writing this from notes from the weekend I am now hungry and thirsty. I think it's lunch time.

Worth a try as a 6 pack for a barbeque or any other reason this summer!

06-11-2007 15:44:47 | More by barleywinebrewer
MisterDeeds

2.42/5  rDev -33.1%

Not my favorite beer of all time. The name suggests that it may taste like sucking on pennies, and while that isn't accurate, it isn't much better. Far too bitter for me, and the I guess the aftertaste could be a little metallic, but to me it just seems too hoppy. I know Otter Creek puts out a Pale Ale too, but this tastes like an IPA to me. I dig their Stovepipe Porter, and their White Sail is good too. They also have growlers that seem to be seasonal and regional that are worth a shot. If you dig the IPA scene or consider yourself a "hophead", you will probably enjoy this one. It's just not for me.

06-01-2007 04:11:03 | More by MisterDeeds
Contra

2.65/5  rDev -26.8%

For some reason, I'm not digging this beer. There is this flavor that I just can't describe, and it's put me off. On the plus side, the hops & malt are well balanced, and it's pretty easy to pick them apart. There is also a nice caramel quality to it. "Copper Ale" really describes its appearance. Imagine a pennies in a glass.

It's tough for me to tell how much this beer is just me, the style, or the beer itself. I've liked other Altbiers, so it's probably not the style. There is definitely some great things about it, I'm just kind of put off by that undefinable taste. I'm positive that the beer isn't light spoiled (or the like) because I got it from a variety pack, and the rest are fine. I guess I'll leave this review as a personal benchmark and have to review it some other time.

05-26-2007 20:38:45 | More by Contra
Brad007

Vermont

3.93/5  rDev +8.6%

This beer poured a nice amber/copper-ish color (hence the name) with a decent head that left lacing behind. I detect hints of fruitiness and malt in it, which I'd expect for this style ( I do know what altbiers are. ;)). The taste is strong and malty and again, leaves a fruity aftertaste and goes down quite smooth. I would say it's quite drinkable. Impressive and I believe it would make a great session ale.

04-26-2007 01:22:45 | More by Brad007
BittRnessabounds

Colorado

3.45/5  rDev -4.7%

Nice beer. It looks great with a neat little head and lace that lingers fairly well. Crisp clear copper color. The smell is lightly fruity, perhaps notes of apricots or plums. The taste, however, leaves me searching for a bit more. Unfortunately i can term in really just "ok." I find nothing objectionable about it, i just find it slightly bland, and perhaps a bit thin. The malt sweetness is well balanced with a bit of hops, but i think i'd prefer a stronger malt character or a bit more toasted flavor.

All in all a very accessible and fairly tasty beer, and i do prefer it to similarly scored Long Trail Ale.

03-30-2007 02:28:07 | More by BittRnessabounds
scarletfire79

New Hampshire

really nice. i like this beer quite a bit. pours a dull copper with a slight white head. smell is heavy on fruit and malt. i really dig it. the taste is much of the same, fruit and malt, slightly drying in the finish. very pleasant to drink and i think pretty right on for the style. a really nice job from a brewery that doesn't get enough attention.

03-08-2007 17:25:03 | More by scarletfire79
edmedina

2.73/5  rDev -24.6%

This was something I've never heard of and decided to give it a try. It poured a nice gold color, not too much head. The smell was as you expect to from any ale. It had a hoppy fruity smell to it. However, when I got to the taste I was not impressed. Left a dry taste. Some bitterness and distaste. I was not impressed with this one.

03-04-2007 15:55:13 | More by edmedina
alexskovan

3.43/5  rDev -5.2%

Poured pale amber with an off-white head that dropped to about a quarter-inch. Mild aroma of pale malt and hops. Taste is dry and smooth, this is a "light" ale for sure. Hoppy notes, and also that vague coca-cola taste that I always detect in an alt.

A smooth and refreshing ale.

03-03-2007 19:02:52 | More by alexskovan
gpcollen1

Connecticut

3.5/5  rDev -3.3%

Pours a nice light copper - almost looking like iced tea - into my Pint glass. Head is only about 1/2 inch of pillow but quickly settles to nothing.

Aroma is lightly malty with a hint of hops showing up in there. To the lips and this one doesn't show anything spectacular. Lightly roasty malt up front, hints of toffee, and lightly drying out on a light, hoppy finish.

A decent drinking brew - nothing outstanding - but could drink a few of them.

02-18-2007 20:46:39 | More by gpcollen1
Damian

3.43/5  rDev -5.2%

Drank from a 12 fl. oz. bottle at Lala Rokh, Boston, MA

Poured a clear, copper-amber with a bubbly, one-finger, light tan head that left some short-lived ridges of lacing.

The aroma was unusual at first. Slightly metallic and almost medicinal. Later, some faint caramel malts became detectable. Oddly, as the beer warmed, the aroma became gradually weaker.

The taste consisted of a flavorful mix of malts and hops. Malty rich and somewhat metallic up front with Munich, Vienna and caramel malts most noticeable. This beer was quite reminiscent of a Marzen. As the beer moved along the palate, the taste seemed to fade until the hops surfaced in the clean, somewhat dry, lingering finish.

Medium bodied with a slightly grainy yet creamy mouthfeel.

Overall, a well-balanced and easy-drinking beer.

02-16-2007 19:40:33 | More by Damian