Otter Creek Copper Ale - Otter Creek Brewing / Wolaver's

Otter Creek Brewing / Wolaver's
Vermont, United States

Altbier |  5.00% ABV

Beer added by: pezoids on 03-17-2001

Our award-winning flagship brew inspired by the beers of Northern Germany. Copper Ale is a complex amber ale handcrafted with six malts, three hops and the spirit of the Green Mountains.

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Otter Creek Copper Ale Alström Bros
firstprev| 351-375 | 376-400 | 401-425  | next → last
4.51/5  rDev +24.6%

12 oz twist off bottle poured into a snifter - Acquired in a trade, probably brewed in Spring 2007

Appearance: Pours a reddish copper color with a tan head. The 1/2" head quickly fades and leaves behind a few bubbles in its wake.

Smell: Raw cocoa, sawdust, roasted peanuts, malt, ripe plum. Plenty going on here. Bold Aroma.

Taste: Nicely done. Maltiness and a little smoke at the start. A very pleasant roasted nuttiness through the middle and a dry, burnt popcorn ending. This is very nice.

Mouthfeel: Smoothe through the start and ends with a dryness accompanied by some alcohol.

Drinkability: I liked this beer a lot. I love beers that pack a flavorful punch and aren't huge alcohol bombs. Usually I find something this unique in an IPA or something hoppy. I wish I had a case of this stuff for the summer because it would become my quencher. (863 characters)

4.52/5  rDev +24.9%

I really liked this beer.It has a deep gold color and nice pleasant smell.The taste is fantastic with what seems to be an aftertaste of butterscotch or caramel.I will buy this product again although I don't think you will be able to drink many at one sitting.One of my new favorites!! (284 characters)

4.64/5  rDev +28.2%

On ode to Vermont beers. This beer is what got me to love craft brews. I was a poor college student and it was love at first sip. The amber color so clear and defined. The sweet, yet malted aroma got my attention. Then the flavor was exactly what I needed at the right time. Not overly hoppy or malty or sweet it was just right. Thank you Otter Creek for helping be the person I am today. (388 characters)

4.72/5  rDev +30.4%

This is an outstanding alt, with firm, complex character.

Light copper, is has a medium big, off-white head, steadily shrinking to a thin, foamy top, with a little weak, foamy lace.

Aroma is strong toasty barley and whole wheat bread crust, strong fruitiness, light leafiness, and yeastiness.

Taste is very fruity up front (plum, hint of raisin), with toasty barley, light leafiness, grain throughout. Light sweetness is balanced with light spicey-peppery bitterness and it is very nicely balanced. Feel is solid, fairly lively. (531 characters)

4.75/5  rDev +31.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

This is what real beer should be. A balance of malt, hop and yeast flavors. When I want to have a beer to drink or with just about any kind of food, I go for this. I was very disjointed to hear that. otter creek will be discontinuing this style, in order to make more IPA varieties. Haven't we seen enough of the super mega ultra hop beers? Beer is not supposed to be a bottle of fizzy hop bitterness. We need to save beers that feature a premium grain bill. (460 characters)

4.77/5  rDev +31.8%

pours bright new penny copper (go figure) and maintains a nice head with sporadic, rorschach lacing. nice.

the nose is really nice. i mean really. NICE. toasted sesame seeds? nearly burned molasses? so far, promises to be the best copper ale i've had. not a favorite style...another sniff and the dark dried fruit sweetness tips in

wow. muscat/muscadine wild sweetness tempered just right by the hops and the almost too carbonated sense...nope, it's right on as you repeat the process of sniff, then savor...for what it IS, this is stellar. yep, best copper ale i've had. now i want to retry some crappy ones to confirm...oy

highly recommended. this is the third i've had and they seem to taste better each time. impressive. obviously a fresh batch. this has the octoberfest beer in the sampler case. also has the (american) pale ale. may have paid a few extra bucks buying it here in PA, but already more than worth it :) (925 characters)

4.84/5  rDev +33.7%

A - This one is indeed copper. It's also pretty clear with a one finger foamy white head that sticks around for a while and leaves tons ofdry sticky lace around the edge of the glass. A nice looking beer.

S - Huge and super-thick malt nose for a lighter colored brew! I smell burning leaves, old log cabins, toast, wet fire-wood, and burned corn flakes (seriously). Excellent depth of character!

T - Taste follows the nose with woody, leafy, and burny flavors. This tastes almost like a stout with all of the burnt roasted tastes, but it's sweeter and lighter than most stouts. If I was blindfolded, I would swear up and down that this beer is black. I also taste caramel and some supportive leafy and grassy hops that back up the autumnal buring leaf flavors quite well.

M - Moderately carbonated and light-ish bodied. This is pretty thin for such an intense taste. I think this would be better with a bit more body.

D - Superb! I could quaff these all night. Or day, whatever. (990 characters)

firstprev| 351-375 | 376-400 | 401-425  | next → last