Otter Creek Russian Imperial Stout - Otter Creek Brewing / Wolaver's

rAvg: 4
Otter Creek Brewing / Wolaver's
Vermont, United States

Russian Imperial Stout |  10.00% ABV

(Beer added by: Brad007 on 01-09-2009)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Otter Creek Russian Imperial Stout Alström Bros

3.03/5  rDev -24.3%

Black body, receding brown head.

Booze first and foremost on the nose, roasted malts are well behind that.

Dark chocolate's sorta sharp, teetering into dark fruit--licorice might be the best descriptor. Alcohol's part of that, at 10%. Robust without being rich, doesn't have that desert sweetness. Needs an additive, perhaps.

Smooth.

3.54/5  rDev -11.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 3.5

12 oz bottle into a pint glass.

A: Pours a pitch black color. The head is a finger high, and tan in shade. Retention is alright for the ABV, and the creaminess is rather nice to look at. Touches of lacing are left behind.

S: Licorice-y, perfumey, boozy. These kind of imperial stouts are not my bag (see also: Narwhal, Smuttynose IS, Stone IRS), but the subtle chocolate note of this redeems it slightly. The more it opens up, the more the harsh licorice-cum-booze fades away. This will also show off a nice nutty, roasty character which blends well with the chocolate. The aroma grows on me, but it never completely grows on me.

T: The flavor is nicer than I anticipated. It's definitely focused on the licorice aspects of an imperial stout (instead of the chocolaty and umami notes I love from the style), but it's also restrained enough to not overpower the roasted and chocolaty flavors. Alcohol-wise, it's about what one would expect from a 10% RIS - gently boozy without being moronically harsh. Alcohol While the flavors are quite solid, I could use a bit more depth.

M: I love how soft and creamy this is in the mouth. And yet, it still has a dry (if faintly alcoholic) finish. The subtle booze gives it a nice warming character. If this were just a *bit* heavier, I'd give the feel a 5. More than anything, it's the gentle carbonation that helps give it its fantastic mouthfeel.

O: DAT MOUTHFEEL. It's somewhat unremarkable otherwise, but the amazing feel gives it more than enough reason for me to really like this. And that's really good considering I'm not a fan of licorice-y imperial stouts.

4.5/5  rDev +12.5%

3.86/5  rDev -3.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Served from a twelve ounce bottle into a pint glass.

Pours dark black, some brown foam settles out. Tar like pour. Rich roasted nose, espresso beans. Taste is full and rich, burnt coffee, backed by a modest alcohol burn. Light licorice underneath. Earthy. Thick mouthfeel.

3.34/5  rDev -16.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

A - Pours a lovely black with creamy brown head. The head recedes quickly and leaves no lacing on the glass.

S - Nice aroma. Roasty. Dark chocolate. Hint of alcohol, which I suppose is to be expected at this level.

T - Touch of sweetness on the tongue. Here is where I pick up the dark chocolate. Little bit of bitterness followed by an absolute wave of alcohol. The alcohol really wipes away everything else and is not overly pleasant for me.

M - Thinner than I expected. The finish is a little sticky, which maintains that alcohol-heavy aftertaste.

O - I really had high hopes for this one. I should be able to pawn some off on my wife. I wouldn't buy this one again, and I would recommend readers not to buy it if they are not fans of boozy imperial stouts. If you like that sort of thing, then have at it.

3.75/5  rDev -6.3%

3.93/5  rDev -1.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

Otter creek Russian Imperial stout.

Poured in a snifter.

A: not much head. Black as midnight. Thin lacing. Thick looking if that makes sense as it looks dense but not a lot of brown head or lacing. Syrup like.

S: Coffee, chocolate, Figs.

M: thick and syrup as its look.

T: figs, but not really sweet. Dark dark chocolate, and burnt coffee. Lots of alcohol on the back end. You know it's 10%. Maybe some time would have helped.

O: good not great. Pales behind Founders Imperial Stout and Bells Expedition. North Coast old Rasputin as cleaner. Liked though.

3.99/5  rDev -0.2%

A-jet black, very thin mocha head, barely any head though, barely any lacing. just kinda meh
S-lots of chocolate and roasted malt notes with noticeable booziness, over-roasted coffee
T-chocolate really hits the back of the tongue, roasted malts up front, lingering booze aftertaste, almost tastes a little barrel aged actually.
M-not too thick, not too thin, just kinda average. light carbonation, lots of booze
O-bottle date reads 12/3/12 so I think this may be discontinued and I maybe grabbed one of the last 4pks that I may see for some time, so I shall savor it. Last time I had it was about a year ago, and since then I've certainly had better stouts and have raised my expectations, but this one is still good.

Otter Creek Russian Imperial Stout from Otter Creek Brewing / Wolaver's