Wolaver's Wildflower Wheat - Otter Creek Brewing / Wolaver's

Vermont, United States

American Pale Wheat Ale |  4.25% ABV

Availability: Spring

Beer added by: Brad007 on 03-05-2011

Organic wheat ale with chamomile flowers and Vermont honey.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Wolaver's Wildflower Wheat Alström Bros
3.93/5  rDev +4.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.75

This one was ...interesting. I was kind of startled by how sweet it was, although I have never had a beer with honey in it, so what do I know. What I did taste, to my chagrin, was that off-taste of copper I usually associate with lesser breweries. Maybe I got a bad case, maybe it hadn't been stored correctly, maybe I shouldn't have frank it from the bottle... whatever. Maybe it's just not my cup of tea (chamomile pun intended). It's not bad, I would drink it again; but I wouldn't go out of my way to get it.

3.1/5  rDev -17.3%
look: 2.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

Very light look. A bunch of carbonation but not a hefty wheats look. Smell is awesome; a great mix of wheat and citrus. Taste is more like a Belgian white than a hefe but good since I like Belgians. Not as thick as a hefe. An above average beer that I found on the clearance aisle; I had never heard of this brewery before.

4.18/5  rDev +11.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

I am kinda surprised by this low rating! I kinda love it! nice smooth wheat beer with a slight dank taste yet it covered and smoothed out with honey and tea like presence...its really enjoyable!! has a really nice flavor!

3.86/5  rDev +2.9%

Slight head that immediately disappears. Golden yellow color. Smells of honey and wheat but not sweet. Nice wheat taste with scent of camomile and a flowery finish.
Bottle dated 012815
Didn't expect to like it, but I did.
Refreshing beer, easy to drink but with some complexity. Perfect with a light lunch or salad.

look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

A: Pours a lightly hazy yellow color with a fingers worth of head that fades down to a thin ring of lace

S: Wheat, honey, and wildflower/chamomile all come together nicely. A bit of fruitiness comes out as well. Quite simple

T: Follows the nose with a bit more character. Starts off with some nice floral and fruity notes laced with the honey and chamomile. Goes into the wheat notes and some moderate sweetness (again, perpetuated by the honey). Finishes with lingering floral notes

M: Medium bodied with moderate carbonation. Definitely has more body than the abv would lead on

O: A great spring/summer wheat beer that has some nice flavors going on. Extremely easy to drink while preserving a fuller body. A surprisingly nice find for sure

3.42/5  rDev -8.8%

Pours a very pale golden color with lots of bubbles heading upwards, decent creamy white head and clingy fingers of lacing wrapping around the inside of the glass. Aroma is sweet and light, almost nonexistent. Taste is very very light, with the honey coming through just enough, but not too much to sweeten this beer too much. Overall, the balance seems good. This beer is so sessionable at 4.25abv that I believe you could drinka a 12 pack of this easily,.....sayin"

3.06/5  rDev -18.4%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3

The honey didn't do anything for me. Not as bready and wheaty as I would like but decent taste. An OK beer in a field of a whole bunch of other OK beers.

4.15/5  rDev +10.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

Look: Pours with little head which fades to nothing almost immediately. Hazy straw yellow in color.

Smell: Lemon and other citrus aromas, wheat and bread.

Taste:Up front it has very fruity and citrus flavors, with a very bread like finish.

Feel: Very refreshing. Light-medium bodied. Very easy to drink. Perfect beer for spring/summer.

3.17/5  rDev -15.5%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

While a fun beer, it seems to have a bit of an identity crisis. The honey is much more prominent and the wheat taste, as well as the fruit and spice tastes that I expected are hidden.

4.02/5  rDev +7.2%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.25

Yellow/golden in flavor, clear with a slight head, limited retention, minimal lacing. Sweet bready aroma with some honey in there and some spice that I cannot make out. Pretty good flavor, was expecting even more sweetness from the smell but still pretty sweet. Not as much wheat as I expected. The honey is there along with what seems like cinnamon and even some vanilla. Really clean taste. Good carbonation on the tongue when drinking, and the malts has me licking my lips between sips which is great. Overall, a pretty good sweet wheat beer.

4.14/5  rDev +10.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

I like the honey Chamomile aftertaste, hard to get Wolavers in Philly area. The variety pack with the Wildflower, Brown Ale, Oatmeal Stout is awesome.

4.5/5  rDev +20%

Very smooth golden poor with decent head retention. The taste was smooth with a background of honey. The honey was not over powering but a fine back addition. Easily one of my favorite summer brews yet.

3.83/5  rDev +2.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Poured a cloudy gold body with decent head that dies slow with some patches. Aroma has a sweet malt vibe to it more than minor yeast or wheat notes along with subtle spices. Smooth, light, easy, this beer has a sweetness to it not normally found in this style of beer (reminds of something sugary and bready like sugar coated pie crust). Not a bad beer but once you get past the sweetness there isn't much to it.

look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

12 oz bottle was poured into a pint glass.

Appearance: A one finger head was poured that reduced to a thin layer. It is a yellow orange color with good clarity of bubbles coming up through the glass.

Smell: Honey, vanilla, green apple, herbal, pale, and bready malts.

Taste: It almost tastes like an apple puff pastry. Light and tasty with lots of flavor.

Mouthfeel : Light, crisp, refreshing, light bodied, a little chewy, and low to medium carbonation.

Overall: Very tasty for such a light beer. Great this humid New England weather.

4.35/5  rDev +16%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

I make no excuses for liking this beer. I have read reviews that claim it is too "this" or too "that" but the overall sum result is a beer that pleases me.

The name doesn't reflect the taste very well. In fact I had a hard time understanding why they chose the name.

The aroma of sweet wheat and honey pleases the nose right before the tantalizing subtleties and mild spiciness please the pallet.

Taking the beer for what it is as opposed to what it reads may leave you with a better opinion. I have tried to not like this beer but despite others criticizing it's character, (subtle) sweetness derived from honey and lack of wheaty-ness, but I keep coming back to it.

I would keep this malty standard on hand forever, but I fear that won't be possible.
Try this one, it's a great beer for the money. And if you don't like it... send the remainder to me!

4.47/5  rDev +19.2%

Appearance - Cloudy honey blond, quite nice looking. Poured from a 12oz bottle with little to no head.
Smell - Strong smell of honey and wildflower. Smell is very bright and refreshing.
Taste - Sweet and bright. Strong but not over-powering taste of wildflower honey.
Mouthfeel - This is thin, with a slight dry feel. Carbonation is sharp and crisp but not so much so that it would be painful to drink quickly.
Overall - This is a great beer to enjoy on a hot day. For those who like strong, sweet flavors in their beer but don't want to drink something heavy like a stout or porter and don't want to deal with something silly and fruity this is a solid option.

look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

12oz bottle into pokal

A: Hazy unfiltered looking brew fronting a royal/goldenrod yellow hue. Donned a two finger white head that had little lasting power. Lacing is quite weak, carbonation seems moderate and is even a bit audible. Doesn’t appear to be any sediment, but clarity is low.

S: Little musty, slightly citrus, sweet wheat smell. Orange peel in the nose plays like my rim has been garnished. Heavy honey engages the mild fruity esters; light notes of caramel and vanilla impart a creamsicle styled finish to a rather candied nose.

T: Honey and creamy orange sherbet upfront, toting the mellow flavors of the taffy orange without the zesty citrus bite. Very clean malts emphasize the sugary profile of the wheat presenting a pretty full flavor inundated with sweet notes of caramel, vanilla bean, brown sugar, and cinnamon. The middle mouth gives way to a finish comprised of thick candied malt, maple syrup, and honey glazed cornbread.

M: Pretty full bodied, which absorbs the present carbonation and adds to creamier mouth feel. Fills the mouth, pretty interesting for a wheat beer, silky. Aftertaste is sweet and milky, lingering.

O: Not what I was expecting, but very interesting. Sweet and tasty, but almost too creamy to be refreshing/quenching – full bodied feel offsets the carbonation and kicks the malt profile into overdrive. I want to say interesting again for emphasis. I was surprised by the whole experience. Certainly a unique take on the style

look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Appearance: The liquid pours out with a hazy goldenstraw color, the head a two-incher leaving shards of lace

Smell: Bread, honey and chamomile - good for what ails you!

Taste: Bread with a honey coating, up front; the chamomile adds a slight herbal element in the middle; a bit too sweet through the finish

Mouthfeel: Medium body with moderate carbonation

Overall: Ultimately, the sweetness started to get to me, but the flavors were interesting and certainly a notch or two above what I was expecting from an American Wheat

3.23/5  rDev -13.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Hazy wheat dark straw body. Cusp of slivered foam. Greasy wannabe lace.

Musty wheat with a beachy saltiness, some floral character, and a trace of honey. Okay.

Eh, too sweet. Caramel, wildflower honey, musty wheat, light chalkiness. Not enough hop to break that gunky malt.

Swishy. Good carbonation levels. A little sticky. Lighten it up a bit, please.

3.5/5  rDev -6.7%

On-tap 3/19/2014 at Doherty’s Ale House, in Warwick, RI served in a tapered mug glass.

A: The beer is a cloudy yellow color, with a large white head that fades slowly and leaves a thick lace on the glass.

S: The aroma contains wheat, light caramelized malts, some citrus and a touch of hops.

T: The taste starts out bready with flavors of wheat and a hearty but not too heavy malt character. Then some mild citrus sweetness comes in. The hops presence is very mild and brings some balance. The after-taste is slightly bready.

M: Crisp and little smooth, light-to-medium body, medium carbonation, finish is slightly sticky.

O: A little tasty, goes down easily, not too filling, very mild kick, good representation of style, it’s a decent light wheat beer to drink for a while.

3.43/5  rDev -8.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

12 ounce bottle, w/o freshness/bottling date info.

Pours heavily clouded dull darker tangerine. Minimal signs of carbonation. Some sediment floating in the bottom of the glass.

Honey is dominant on the nose.

More honey and lots of sweet fruit on the palate.

Too much honey and too sweet for me. Maybe with some dessert on a hot day. Besides that one and done for me.

3.31/5  rDev -11.7%

I have to give this beer props for being organic but I was otherwise disappointed. Maybe it's because this style isn't really my taste, but I was underwhelmed. I expected a bold, wide earthy flavor out of this beer. The wheat and floral tastes are there but they are thin. I did like the honey after taste. After I few sips (and I know someone will put out a hit for me on this) I just started to taste Budweiser. A must nicer Budweiser, but Budweiser none the less.

Although I can't help but think somehow or someway that this beer is good for me :)

2.99/5  rDev -20.3%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 2.75

I selected bottle for this review as my most recent experience was from a bottle. My first experience with this was a 20oz draft at the brewery. Initially this beer really appealed to me. The first scents I picked up were floral notes. Tasting presented a clear honey note, and then hints of floral. Things went south from here. As I drank, the scent of the beer moved to overly sweet, and almost smelled "flat". Does not hold carbonation well in both bottle and draft experiences, and to me, this made the flavor feel heavy. As another reviewer said, maybe on a scorching summer day, this might feel and taste right, but I have not been able to finish the 6 pack I brought home.

3.77/5  rDev +0.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.75

A - 4-5, golden. Slightly cloudy. Fizzy head w/little retention & no lacing.

S - Sweet, herbal, floral, & the Vermont honey comes through. Yeasty/grainy/bready. Slightly alcoholic? Somewhat flat.

T - Crisp & floral. The sweetness of honey comes through initially (DMS?). A kind of sweet grainy/bready flavor from the yeast. Hints of astringency at times.

M & O - Sweet & creamy with a nice, medium finish. Very well-balanced.

3.02/5  rDev -19.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 2.75

A - Hazy golden as the honey it contains. A thin white head wells up from the pour, within a few minutes its reduced to a half covering of timid bubbles. Some carbonation and sediment as it is unfiltered.

S - Honey sweetness comes of the top first. Not as fruity as the hefes they descend from. Some nondescript spice mélange that does suggest the hefe lineage. The malt based backbone keeps all this together.

T - Malty up front, and kind of monotypic, a one note charlie. A slight honey/flowery aftertaste, but otherwise just strong malts. The aroma is a more complex experience.

M&D&O - not terribly complex or flavorful. I continue to enjoy Otter Creek without being a huge fan of Wolavers. It is smooth, refreshing, and sessionable. Maybe I should go mow the lawn in 95 degree weather and I would enjoy it more.

Wolaver's Wildflower Wheat from Otter Creek Brewing / Wolaver's