2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Golden Pheasant - Pivovar Zlaty Bazant a.s.

Golden PheasantGolden Pheasant

good

Pivovar Zlaty Bazant a.s.
Slovak Republic

Czech Pilsener |  5.00% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 04-11-2002)
View: Beers (5) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Golden Pheasant Alström Bros
« first ‹ prev | 176-200 | 201-225 | 226-250  | next › last »
Ratings: 350 | Reviews: 244 | Show All Ratings:
tjkurz

Wisconsin

3.88/5  rDev +15.5%

I won a sixer of this at a golf outing. I was not enthused to win it because I thought I had a bottle of this a couple years ago that was skunky - I'm glad I didn't trade it because this sixer was a nice surprise.

Bottle poured into chalice - thin head, a tad soapy in some areas - a bit hazy - golden thatch in color. Smell fairly clean grain some malt. Taste surprisingly malty for a pilsener hoppy aftertaste. MF - a touch creamy but pretty average body - nicley carbed. Very drinkable - I am generally not a fan of czech pilsener - could easily down a few of these with some salty snacks watching a ball game.

10-16-2008 13:29:06 | More by tjkurz
alankwak

3.58/5  rDev +6.5%

A: Super clear and golden with good head retention and lacing. Medium carbonation.

S: Lightly/moderately hopped(Sazz) with a malty aroma. There is a grassy aroma which is desirable.

T: A full bodied grassiness dominates here with a nice maltiness following. Full malt flavor.

M: Medium mouthfeel. No surprises.

O: Well if this is supposed to be a pils...no dice. No hops to earn remark for that. However..this would be a smooth lager.
Not a pils however.

06-04-2011 02:24:04 | More by alankwak
steeler

Ontario (Canada)

4.1/5  rDev +22%

Alright, i finally got my hands on this one, so onto to the review! This is a very well done czech pils, the hop bitterness on this is definatly toned down, when compared to Pilsner Uruquell (my benchmark for this style) But none the less this is a terrific beer! Pours out a deep golden yellow color, that is nice and rich, with a small ring of laceing, that holds. Pretty nice! Smell was a bit skunky, so i docked it .5, but otherwise floral hops, and beery smell, decent. Pheasant goes down smooth, with a nice smoothness, and the perfect carbonation. First you feel the carbonation, then the hops finish crisp and clean, no aftertaste. I would of given it a 4.5 but I really like a lingering hop flavor in a nice czech pils, but this didnt, so it gets a 4. Mouthfeel is nice and full, feels like velvet, with good carbonation. Drinkability is amazing with this one, when you want a beer with taste, and something that is refreshing at the same time, and will satisfy you after your done, and you can session it all night long, this is your beer. This is very good beer, and it lived up to my expectations, and what I had been told by friends. Well done! Highly Recommended!

01-10-2009 05:59:33 | More by steeler
FatSean

Connecticut

4.43/5  rDev +31.8%

Poured from a 500ml bottle into a 20oz tulip pint.

Poured a golden color with touches of amber. The head was formidable and hung on for several minutes. Some lacing was apparent

On the nose the malts stood up to the hops without problem. A very mild scent for a pilsener, but just enough spices to keep it interesting

Nice sweet and spicy on the tongue with a mild hop finish that was just a little on the bitter side even though it was mild.

Moderate carbonation was noticable upon swallowing. Average body for a pilsener.

Pilseners are one of my favorite style. This is a great example of a czech pilsener in my opinion. Only price would keep it from being a regular drink..

08-08-2008 00:36:41 | More by FatSean
FernMaster

Missouri

1.73/5  rDev -48.5%

I purchased this beer in a mix and match pack at the recommendation of the guy working at the liquor store = error. I poured the beer into a Boulevard pint glass and was instantly hit with a very pungent odor. The beer poured smoothly and gave off a nice display of head (which did disappear rather quickly), as to try and distract from the liquid disgust that emerged from the bottle. The look of the beer was clear and it drank smooth, but it was accompanied by the 'sour beer face.' The taste was a combination of failure and shame (with a hint of fruit) all leading to the grand finale of a quick pour into the drain.
There was no date on the bottle, sorry :-( However there was a code of some sorts (like a bottle cap) but I'm not sure what that meant (maybe I won a hat?).

01-26-2009 06:26:42 | More by FernMaster
rednrag

Oklahoma

3.98/5  rDev +18.5%

Very good beer. Clean and refreshing. The Czechs and Slovaks know how to brew. Like this a little better than Budvar, maybe not quite as much as Urquell. Will definitely drink again. Will search to find this on tap. Will also try in the can, if it available.

02-28-2010 16:22:49 | More by rednrag
NicholasCasber

Iowa

3.13/5  rDev -6.8%

A: Poured a nice golden color, with a small head which dissipated quickly.

S: The smell, smelled like most other Czech beers that I've had before, and wasn't overly surprising.

T: The taste was really good, and somewhat sweet, didn't really taste any bitter notes.

M: The mouthfeel was nothing extraordinary, did have a nice full bodied feel.

D: The drinkabilty was slightly above average.

Overall, decent beer. Best of luck with your beers. Cheers.

12-19-2009 00:19:14 | More by NicholasCasber
AdamMY

3.83/5  rDev +14%

While this has a crisp golden bronze color, it had basically no head, but the aroma is nice and hoppy with a nice bread like character to it. The taste and mouthfeel are crisp and clean and again rather like raw bread dough in flavor. I will say I like the fact that it had a bit of an effervescent quality to it.

03-20-2011 03:47:48 | More by AdamMY
eschbach

Arizona

3.95/5  rDev +17.6%

I was at Total wine today in search of some new beers to try. And I came across this and it looked cool. The cap has gold foil on it like a fancy champagne.

I filled my pilsner glass wit the beer and was impressed. It;s a rich golden color and it's quite foggy. It has a frothy head that sticks around a while. The smell is great. It smells like pure hops! The taste is very bitter. It tastes just like a czech pilsner should taste. It has a strong floral aftertaste. The beer feels very creamy in the mouth. It's not that easy to just throw back fast like a bud light, because it has strong flavors.

If you like a good czech pils this would be the beer for you. I really like the taste of it. It's a little expensive and it is not easy to find. Most stores don't have it.

05-23-2010 06:14:34 | More by eschbach
optikon44

Connecticut

3.48/5  rDev +3.6%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

My beer is light gold, with a bunch of medium-sized bubbles streaming to the top off the glass. The nice-sized head, made up of medium/large-sized bubbles dissipated within 30 seconds, so now I have lace around the edges of the glass.

As far as smell, no skunking apparent. I do get a lot of spicy hops, followed by some grainy pilsner malt.

At cellar temperature, the beer has a pleasantly-dry, light malt flavor.There is some hoppy bitterness appropriately woven in. The finish is big with lots of yeast, grain, and a bit of alcohol.

Golden Pheasant is a soft beer with just a bit of carbonated bite.

It's pretty easy-drinking stuff, but I prefer Topvar.

04-24-2005 19:38:42 | More by optikon44
Ecliptica

Louisiana

3.45/5  rDev +2.7%

Since I've been reviewing a lot of green bottle pilsners lately, I decided to grab this during my beer excursion yesterday because of the very inexpensive price ($1.49) and the excellent name. Who doesn't want to drink a beer named 'Golden Pheasant'?

I twisted off the cap - I think this might be the first imported beer I've ever had with a twist-off cap - and poured the brew into a pilsner glass. The beer poured as it's name suggested - a golden hue with a big, frothy, almost two finger head. The head had a ridiculous amount of retention and above average lacing.

I smelled the brew out of the bottle before I poured it and got a horrible, horrible aroma of skunk. Needless to say, I was frightened. Upon pouring it into the glass, however, the skunk smell faded and the only real defining smell was that of grassy hops and minimal malt.

The taste was average for these green bottle pilsners. Not the best I've had, not the worst. As a matter of fact, I would compare this most not to any other European-style pilsners, but to San Miguel, as it was very average tasting with no real defining characteristics. The hoppiness becomes more prevalent as the beer warms and towards the end, but not enough to severely affect the taste.

Mouthfeel is a tad bitter with a dry finish, though it was actually quite nice on the palate. Easily drinkable yet not something worth revisiting. All these pilsners seem too much alike to me, so for the price I recommend it; for the flavor, I'd have to lump this with all the other green bottled beers less Hofbrau, which I think actually distinguishes itself from the rest.

All in all, no complaints on this beer but nothing outstanding either - except the twist off bottle cap. That was absolutely oustanding. I'm glad I just bought a single, because I doubt I'd drink a full six pack of this.

EDIT: 100th review of this beer. Cheers!

04-11-2008 19:34:42 | More by Ecliptica
Beermazter310

Nevada

3.23/5  rDev -3.9%

500 Ml bottle....pale yellow with foamy white head. Skunky smell fills the air as soon as I pop the top. Taste is light and watery with a little bit of hop bitterness that hangs around after swallowing. the mouthfeel is smooth with medium carbonation. Overall this is a slightly above average beer, no off tastes, very easy to drink. Im glad I tried it.

04-08-2012 03:23:36 | More by Beermazter310
fartkowski

Ontario (Canada)

3.5/5  rDev +4.2%

500ml green bottle, bought at the LCBO. Poured a nice brass color, with about a 1" foam head. Another average beer for me. A very mellow, light beer. This had a bit of sweetness to it. Nothing really stood out one way or another.
Again with the green bottle, I was hesitant, but It didn't taste skunky at all.

01-11-2010 12:20:16 | More by fartkowski
AndrewMcLemore

3.38/5  rDev +0.6%

The Golden Pheasant is a light, cheery beer that's great for a hot early afternoon. Overall, this is a smart pilsner.

It's vanilla ice cream instead of Dutch Chocolate, but sometimes just plain vanilla is more satisfying and allows one to appreciate how sustaining a beer can feel going down.

Nothing stands out about the Golden Pheasant, though it is certainly well-made with good ingredients and slightly surpasses the blandness of most Czech pilseners.

It's not quite Stella Artois, but it is from Slovakia, so I say give it a try and gain bragging rights for your extensive knowledge of Slavic beers (how many other ones can there be?).

10-30-2008 20:44:33 | More by AndrewMcLemore
ChuckMartel37

3.15/5  rDev -6.3%

A nice golden color with a modest amount of head and decent lacing. It has a light flowery hop smell, with hints of grass and corn. So far it reminds me of a Stella. Now for the taste...

The taste totally reminds me of a Stella, perhaps a little drier and more bitter. The bitterness is complimented nicely by the taste of sweet malt. I feel as though this is a cross between a Stella and a Victory Lager. This beer would be a great thirst quencher for a nice summer day after mowing the lawn or something. A very drinkable beer that's worth a try, but I think you can get a slighty better experience from Stella Artois.

08-29-2007 04:38:30 | More by ChuckMartel37
summerlightning

Georgia

3.58/5  rDev +6.5%

11.2 oz bottle poured into a pilsner glass. Nice golden color with with 1/2 in white head with medium heavy pour.
Nothing jumps out with the initial whiff.
I have had Pilsner Urquell, but no other Czech/Slovak brews.(Czechvar is on my radar.)Very easy to drink beer with a crisp feel and nice carbonation. No outstanding taste. A good thirst quenching brew.

11-28-2008 01:21:36 | More by summerlightning
doppelbocker971

Arkansas

3.98/5  rDev +18.5%

Appearance: Very light with a thin white head, looks similar to a light beer.
Smell: Very strong malty aroma, strange for a pilsner.
Taste: Once again very malty taste, similar to that of a bock. Not quite what I expected but very good nonetheless.
Mouthfeel: Very smooth, with no afterbite.
Overall: Very good beer, would definately recommend it to a friend or stranger. Slightly on the expensive side($12.60) for a 6 pack, but the flavor is worth it. Warning though, if you are a fan of normal pilsners you may not like it because of its aforementioned bock taste.

04-07-2011 06:39:35 | More by doppelbocker971
bfreems1

Alberta (Canada)

3.78/5  rDev +12.5%

This was a bit of a surprise for me. The bottle was chosen for me and I did not decline the offer. The yellow-green label left little to be impressed about. Once poured, there was very little head. This was expected.
The body was golden and not very translucent. The taste was very good for the style. Also,the taste was crisp and went well with the Indian food I was enjoying.
The smell was a bit skunky, but nothing to be upset about. Overall, the drinkability was smooth. I will definitely drink another one of these in the future.

04-24-2008 23:42:09 | More by bfreems1
Daniil

Russian Federation

3.89/5  rDev +15.8%

I would say I must agree with most of the people who talk about this beer. Had this at 1. Slovak Pub in Bratislava, a great environment. The beer is served in what is called tankovar in Slovakia (and in Cech Republic too) which means it is brought in unpasteurized in tanks. This gives the beer a distinct earthy taste that is not found in the bottled version. In Slovakia of course, this beer is far cheaper than in North America, so it may not be worth buying if you live in Americas. Instead, perhaps try another more widely available Cech pilsner such as Staropramen or Pilsner Urquell.

10-25-2013 22:55:10 | More by Daniil
« first ‹ prev | 176-200 | 201-225 | 226-250  | next › last »
Golden Pheasant from Pivovar Zlaty Bazant a.s.