You're My Boy Blue! - Howe Sound Inn & Brewing Company

No picture uploaded.

Howe Sound Inn & Brewing Company visit their website
British Columbia, Canada

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  4.50% ABV

(Beer added by: Rutager on 07-13-2013)
3.75/5  rDev -8.8%

Ericbeech_87, Aug 26, 2014
3.81/5  rDev -7.3%

I was excited to see a blueberry ale from Howe Sound at the liquor store at New West station when I stopped in today on my way home from work. I used to enjoy Pumphouse Blueberry Ale from Moncton, NB back in my undergrad days at Mount Allison.

It was a bit of a surprise when I poured this out and saw that it actually looks like something that comes from blueberries! That's definitely not the case for Pumphouse's blueberry ale. It's the colour of blueberry juice, with pink head. Aroma of pure blueberries, wheat, and a little lemon.

The taste is refreshingly not sweet. It's like beer made with pure blueberry juice. There's nothing artificial about it - real beer made with real blueberries. Here's to keeping it real. It'd be nice to see something like this coming out of blueberry country back in Nova Scotia.

Would I get it again? Maybe. It's good, but there's only so often you want this much blueberry. While it's not my new favourite beer, I have no real complaints. It's exactly what it should be. Well executed.

I think the price was ten something for a one litre bottle.

souvenirs, Jun 20, 2014

Erik-P, Nov 01, 2013

intoxabroad, Oct 02, 2013

Derek, Sep 03, 2013

schopenhauerale, Aug 25, 2013
4.5/5  rDev +9.5%

A: hazy purple liquid with 1/4" white head.

S: More yeast than blueberry, and fruit loops cereal.

T: Corn pops cereal, blueberries, and fruit loops cereal in the finish. Sounds strange for an average beer, but for a fruit beer with wheat this is fantastic. The blueberry taste increased as the beer warms. I suspect that cascade was used due to the lemon flavor, and I think this beer would be an excellent base for other fruit beers. If Howe Sound ever thought of having a fruit beer line and becoming the Sam Smith's of Canada, this is one hell of a start.

M: Perfect for a fruit beer, medium viscosity and carbonation.

O: Even my wife liked this beer due to it's extremely pleasant and fruity taste profile. I hope to see this beer again sometime.

DaftCaskBC, Aug 06, 2013

zduerr, Jul 22, 2013

bumchilly25, Jul 18, 2013
4.08/5  rDev -0.7%

Appearance. Pours a hazy bluish-purple with two fingers of pink head.

Smell. Sour blueberries, wheat, and maybe a little lemon.

Taste. Tons of wheat but thankfully only a little sweetness, tangy blueberry and again a little lemon.

Mouthfeel. Light+ body, medium carbonation.

Overall. Refreshing and delicious with a nice bit of sourness.

Rutager, Jul 13, 2013