Smoked Porter - Founders Brewing Company

Smoked PorterSmoked Porter

rAvg: 4
Founders Brewing Company visit their website

American Porter |  8.00% ABV

A robust porter brewed with beechwood-smoked barley, oak-smoked wheat and chocolate malt.

(Beer added by: Alextricity on 02-02-2014)
Reviews by StoutHunter:
4.23/5  rDev +5.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

I picked up a bottle of Founders Smoked Porter a couple weeks ago for $10.99 at The Lager Mill. I'm a big fan of Founders Porter and I also like smoked beers, I'm interested to see how this beer stacks up, so lets see how it goes. 2014 Vintage. Poured from a brown 750ml bottle into a snifter.

A- The label looks good it, it's got a rustic look to it and that goes well with the name and I think it's a little eye catching. It poured a nice black/ very dark brown color that didn't let any light come through and it had two fingers worth of mocha colored head that died down to a thin ring that stayed till the end and it left some patchy rings of lacing behind. This is a very nice looking Porter, I have no complaints at all.

S- The aroma starts off with a medium amount of sweetness followed by the smoke being the first to show up and imparts that nice beachwood smoked malt aroma that always reminds me a little of smoked meats and it's not too smokey. Up next comes the malts which impart a nice roasted malt, slightly charred, light coffee and chocolate like aromas with neither one seeming to stick out the most. This beer had a very nice aroma, it's just what I want out of a smoked Porter with just the right amount of smoke.

T- The taste seems to be pretty similar to the aroma, but it's just a little more balanced and it starts off with a medium amount of sweetness with the smoke still being the first to show up and it imparts that same beachwood smoked malt aspect that imparts a medium smokey flavor that has that nice smoked meat aspect to it. Up next comes the malts which impart all the roasted malt aspects that they did in the aroma, but this time they show up just a little more and provide good balance to the smoke. On the finish there's a lower amount of bitterness with a roasted malt and smokey aftertaste. This is a very nice tasting beer, the balance between the roasted and smoked malts is very nice.

M- Smooth, a little crisp, slightly rich, a little silky, medium bodied with a slightly higher amount of medium carbonation. The mouthfeel was pretty good, but I wish the carbonation was toned down just a little.

Overall I thought this was a very nice beer and thought it was a very nice example of a smoked porter and as far as smoked dark beers go this one might just be up there as one of the better ones I have had simply because the balance was so good and I thought the smoke complemented the roasted malts nicely. This beer had a pretty good drinkability, it was smooth, a little crisp, slightly rich, a little silky, not too filling, and the taste did a good job at holding my attention, I don't think I would have any problem drinking the bottle by myself and I think a couple glasses of this is the perfect amount for me and I think this would make for a great fall time beer. What I like the most about this beer was the balance, it was just where I want it to be for a smoked beer and that really helped the drinkability. What I liked the least about this beer was the mouthfeel, it wasn't bad at all, but I thought it would help if the carbonation was toned down just a little. I would buy this beer again, I'm pretty sure it's gone in my area, but if I saw another bottle I would buy it and I would recommend it to anyone who likes smoked beers. All in all I was pretty happy with this beer and i was a little impressed, I already expected good things, since it's a Founders Backstage beer and the base of this beer is a really nice porter, but it was still a little impressive and I'm glad this one wasn't too hard to find. I don't know why Founders decide to make this a Michigan only release, but I'm not going to complain. This isn't my favorite Founders beer, but it is one of the better smoked beers I've had. Great Job Founders, I was happy to finally try a smoked beer from you guys, keep up the great work.

StoutHunter, Mar 23, 2014

DanGeo, Feb 20, 2014

tectactoe, Feb 16, 2014

sabitu, Feb 22, 2014

warnerry, Feb 08, 2014

A: Dark as normal Founders Porter

S: Very smokey and dark

T: Smokiness is pretty well done, I could still taste the base Porter in the background.

M: Nice and full

O: This was definitely a good porter to drink BUT I have high expectations when coming from Founders. I would drink this again if I could find it but I wouldn't sell my first born for it.

barhoc11, Aug 30, 2014
4.34/5  rDev +8.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

On tap at Hunahpu's Day 2014. Deep brown color with light tan head. Aroma is lightly smokey, dark grainy malt, some molasses-like sweetness. Taste is pleasantly smoked, not like a lot of American smoked beers. I also enjoy the roasted malt sweetness. Thick and somewhat creamy mouthfeel.

mverity, Mar 10, 2014

mikejonze, Mar 29, 2014
4.45/5  rDev +11.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

On tap at the Happy Gnome in St. Paul, MN. Served in a 10 oz. chalice.

Appearance: Color is a dark brownish black. Moderate amount of bubbles and about two fingers of tan head which settle into a thinner creamy layer. Leaves a good amount of lacing.

Smell: A rich and roasty dark malt forward aroma with big hints of smoke, oak, and dark chocolate. Dark roasted barley malts with a big presence of smoke, oak, dark chocolate, and wood. Also some good hints of dark roast coffee beans, toasted bread, biscuit, grains, wheat, burnt caramel, toffee, nuts, and yeast. Subtle sweet hints of molasses as well as some light earthy hops. A very good roasty aroma.

Taste: Like the aroma previews, a roasty and rich dark malt driven taste with big notes of smoke, oak, and sweet dark chocolate. Upfront dark roasted barley malts with a big taste of smoke, oak, wood, and nicely sweet dark chocolate. Also some dark malt notes of roasted coffee beans, burnt toast, caramel, toffee, biscuit, grains, nuts, wheat, and yeast. Subtle taste of molasses like sweetness. Some light earthy hop notes in the background. A very good balance of smokey notes and sweetness.

Mouthfeel: Body is on the heavier side of medium. Carbonation is moderate. Very creamy with a nicely drying finish. Alcohol is masked well.

Overall: A very good smoked up version of Founders already great Porter. Strong smoke presence that isn't overwhelming. Nice presence of sweet chocolate.

MattyG85, Feb 26, 2014

robgage, Mar 21, 2014

MajorBuckeye, May 19, 2014
4.11/5  rDev +2.8%

Bottle into tulip

Appearance - Black, slightly over 1 finger mocha head. Nice thick lacing.

Smell - Smoke, wood char, hint of coffee grounds, smoked meat.

Taste - Smokey from the start. The for just a bit you get a malt roastiness, subtle coffee and spent coffee grounds, then the rest of the smokiness really develops. A few different characteristics, wood, char, smoked pork, all blanketing a very subtle grain flavor.

Mouthfeel - Medium bodied, medium carbonation and smooth.

Overall - Good beer. Intense robust smokiness that almost makes you feel like your eating a meal. Bought 2, I will save one for a friend.

Flopjack, Mar 01, 2014