Founders Breakfast Stout - Founders Brewing Company

Wants: 1,305
Founders Brewing Company visit their website

American Double / Imperial Stout |  8.30% ABV

Availability: Fall

Released on Sept. 1, 2010.

(Beer added by: marburg on 07-26-2003)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Founders Breakfast Stout Alström Bros
4.69/5  rDev +3.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

4.41/5  rDev -2.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

4.39/5  rDev -2.9%

4.16/5  rDev -8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

4.76/5  rDev +5.3%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 5

Pitch black in appearance, with strong coffee notes in the nose; this stout is about as good as it gets. Creamy mouthfeel and a powerful yet delicate balance of coffee and roasted malts. This beer certainly holds its own. You can drink the strongest IPA known to man, crack this Breakfast Stout open, and forget what Cascade or Citra hops even taste like… And by this I mean, it is powerful enough to look right in the face of an overly hopped beer and tell it to shut up and sit down. Don't get me wrong, I love a good IPA, but the powerful taste this beer brings is unforgettable and undeniable.

3.98/5  rDev -11.9%

4.44/5  rDev -1.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

4.48/5  rDev -0.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

4.68/5  rDev +3.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

4.5/5  rDev -0.4%

4.99/5  rDev +10.4%

4.48/5  rDev -0.9%
look: 5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

4.33/5  rDev -4.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

4.19/5  rDev -7.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

4.96/5  rDev +9.7%

Normally I don't like declaring one thing my "favorite," be it a movie, a song, a book or whatever. My tastes just vary so much from year to year and even day to day. That said, Founders Breakfast Stout is my favorite beer. Hands down. It is the beer that got me into stouts. It is the beer that got me away from that devil drink called wine. It rekindled my love affair with craft brews, coffee and even the diseased whore's mitten that is the state of Michigan, a perpetual thorn in the side of common decency and God's favorite state in the Union, my home, the Buckeye state of Ohio.

Breakfast Stout saved my life.

Well no, not really, but it is very good. Every fall my girlfriend and I call up the local liquor store every few days until they say it's in.. Then we go and buy it pretty much every time we get beer until it runs out (so like once a week). Lately we've been buying multiple four-packs at a time because it seems to get more popular and run out quicker every year. I would implore Founders to make this a year round thing, though that might take away from the "specialness" of it. Really, I'd just hope they make more next year.

So what is the actual experience like?

Ineffable.

You'll just have to go out and try it for yourself. The only things I can really say are that it's thick like crude oil with a strong-but-not-too-strong coffee flavor. It will coat your mouth and warm you heart. Honestly, it's just that good. It will open your eyes. It will change your mind, your life, your very soul. It was. It is. It will always be. It is the alpha and the omega. It was there at my first love of stouts, and it will be there at the end of my liver.

Breakfast Stout is one of those rare drinks that pleases everyone. My girlfriend and I have very different beer tastes, but we can both agree that this is the best beer human beings have yet to offer. I feel like high school me, modern me, my mom, my grandfather, my grandmother, my dad, Barack Obama and Rush Limbaugh could all love this beer.

There is no other. Thou shalt put no other beers before me (if it's in season and the bar serves it, of course).

My local bar gets a single keg of KBS a single time per year. Much to my chagrin and eternal shame, I have yet to try it because it sells out in literally two hours, which is pretty much how long it takes to drain a keg by just holding down the tap. I shit you not, this year my girlfriend and I are taking off work and camping out at the bar to ensure we are a part of that two hours. I know it sounds crazy, but you just haven't tried the dream, the vision, the spiritual experience that is Breakfast Stout. Like the crack cocaine, one taste and you'll be hooked. Just try it. Everybody's doing it.

4.16/5  rDev -8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

4.81/5  rDev +6.4%
look: 5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Just the right amount Of coffee taste with this one. Nice dark colour. Can't go wrong.

4.24/5  rDev -6.2%

4.25/5  rDev -6%

4.28/5  rDev -5.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.75/5  rDev +5.1%