Already subscribe? to manage your subscription.

Founders Breakfast Stout - Founders Brewing Company

Founders Breakfast StoutFounders Breakfast Stout

Wants: 1,675
Founders Brewing Company visit their website

American Double / Imperial Stout |  8.30% ABV

Beer added by: marburg on 07-26-2003

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Founders Breakfast Stout Alström Bros
Reviews: 3,438 | Hads: 14,563

A - Pours an oily jet black. Forms a finger of dark tan head. Whispy lacing left behind.
S - Tons of black coffee, even goes so far as to have the smokiness associated with coffee grounds or fresh ground Haitian and Arabic coffees. Some sweet milkyness and tons of malt. No hops present.
T - Absolutely amazing. Flavor development is sweet cream, caramel and chocolate, this fades into bittersweet baker's chocolate, finally, this fades into bitter, smokey malt and coffee. Fantastic.
O - An absolutely amazing, 5 star stout. One of my all time favorites and a must try for fans of stouts.
V - Available in four packs of bottles. High value! (645 characters)

One of the best beers that I've ever had. Period. Excellent! It's so good that I'm going to buy the rest of the inventory at the liquor store near me, so as I'll have some for the year, due to it being seasonal. Yes, it's that good! (I'm drinking one right now!) (262 characters)

Beautiful black liquid with minimal coffee-colored head. Smells of delicious coffee and chocolate malt. Taste is decadent, very smooth to begin with, later warming up to chocolate and coffee with a hint of booze. Very smooth mouthfeel. Slightly bitter finish.

I'm sold, one of the best oatmeal stouts I've ever had. (316 characters)

Pours a dark black, opaque and almost thick with a coco powder color head. Nose is coffee and roastiness. Taste is amazing. Coffee, chocolate, and roast. Flavors come out even stronger as it warms. Terrific and outstanding stout. (234 characters)

WOW! If you love stouts, then you'll love this. Strong notes of chocolate, coffee & caramel on a strong malt backbone. Rather high IBU for a stout, but hard to tell except for a slight bitter aftertaste. (205 characters)

This is the epitome of stout beer brewing that all other stout beer should try to achieve. The subtle smooth flavor make this a very enjoyable experience. (154 characters)

What Auraan said exactly as described. First try of this beer thought omg this really is for breakfast what a great way to start the morning. High ABV it is not for seriously thinking you will get anything else done besides lift sip enjoy repeat. Flavor really opens the longer it sits and warms a bit. Been waiting months for it to come back into season. (355 characters)

Thought I would knock two big ones out for tonight. Poured the 2014 edition into a cognac snifter and off I go. It pours a small brown head and is inky black.

The smell is dominated by coffee. Its smells almost like a cold mocha or one of those iced coffees that the pour chocolate syrup in. If I smelled this without knowing what it was, I would assume that it was not a beer. It really smells rich and full without being overbearing. The smell is one of the best parts of this beer.

When I started to taste this beer, and it took a couple, I really can appreciate just what a job Founders has done with it. This blows much heavier stouts out of the water, and I feel that this should be drank as fresh as possible, because the coffee is just right. The predominant taste is chocoloate coffee with hints smoky dark roasted malts. It's warming, refreshing, and just excellent.

Founders is my favorite brewery for a reason, and honestly it held that title before I ever tasted this beer. I think they have gotten dark beers just right. Between this, their always excellent porter (a go-to), and KBS, I don't think any other brewery makes such excellent darker beers. These aren't the biggest and boldest of beers, but there excellent balance is precisely why I think they excel past any over-hyped IPA or stout. (1,314 characters)

I don't even like coffee, but I love this beer. This is the quintessential imperial stout, we'll until I try the KBS next spring.

Goes down so smooth, and is so drinkable for 8.3 ABV. Was fortunate to set a 4 pack at my local go to beer spot. Hopefully, there will be some more when I go back. (294 characters)

A- Pitch black with light brown head. Good head retention and nice lacing.

S- Coffee aroma is strong upfront. Chocolate in the background.

T- Very strong coffee notes at first and chocolate follows. Nice and roasty taste, although I find it to lean more towards the bitter side i feel as if it use a bit more sweetness. Overall it's Awesome.

M- Light carbonation with decent amount of body. Almost perfect here.

O- The body was a bit more heavy and just somewhat sweeter this would be perfect. The strong coffee taste is amazing with the chocolate playing as a supporting role. I find this an almost impeccable beer. I highly recommend. (641 characters)

I hate beers with goofy ingredients. So I was doubtful I'd like a beer with chocolate and coffee.

I love this beer. It smacks your whole palate like a 327 lb. lineman, then runs you over. It's so wonderful to drink in the fall with the cool air, and a good rain. I'll be sad to see it leave the growler in my fridge knowing that it won't be there next time I walk into my favorite wine/beer shop.

It won't get you over seasonal depression, but it will make you not care about it so much. (493 characters)

Simply amazing. One of the best beers of my days. Only problems is that it is seasonal. I would drink this year round if possible. At first smell it wins you over. Solid pour - dies down slowly with good lacing. Smells strongly of malts and chocolate with some coffee tones. Taste lingers just right. Full bodied with tons of great flavors. Chocolate/oats/malts to start with a solid coffee finish. Amazing beer. Can not recommend this more. (441 characters)

Poured from a 12 OZ bottle into a pint glass.
Aroma- It has a crazy bakery smell to it. very enticing.
Appearance- It is like looking into the abyss! it is pitch black. with a small tan head.
Taste- Wow, I am a novice venturing into the stout arena but this is incredible. A mix of coffee, cappuccino and hops.
Palate- A heavy beer body wise with moderate carbonation.
Overall- I am loathe to follow the beer snobs and call this awesome. . . but it truly is. (463 characters)

Holy Motherpuncher! In love with the Dark Side. I would consider this more like dessert than breakfast. Founder's Breakfast Stout most certainly lives up to the hype. Decadent roasted malts with huge chocolate flavor, with hints of smoke like a cigar. Was expecting a dominant Kona coffee flavor, but this was more subtle. The ABV of 8.3% is a little low for a stout, but the pure decadence makes up for this. This beer is currently rated as #28 out of Beer advocate ' s Top 250 beers, and I feel like it should be higher. Probably the smoothest stout I've ever had, and overall one of the best stouts I've ever had. I rarely give a perfect score, but I give this one a perfect 100/100 points. (695 characters)

The beer equivalent to coffee ice cream. Heavenly soft on the mouth, TONS of coffee and chocolate, it just doesn't get better than this with a stout. Somebody set me up with an IV drip of this. (193 characters)

Got a hold of growler from a keg just tapped (last year's brew). Pours super black with little foamy head. Smells like coffee. Tastes like coffee. Is freaking awesome. What else do you want to know? Is more bitter than sweet. Still delicious. Like it even better when it warms up a bit. (286 characters)

This beer is excellent. The color is very dark almost black. Its a strong stout but goes down super smooth. It has oatmeal, coffee, and chocolate in it and you taste all of those. Its a beer you drink slowly to enjoy the flavor. Goes perfect with great meal as the drink. Its a very filling beer and I wouldn't be surprised if it had 200 calories or more per 12 oz bottle (never bothered to look it up since I don't care about that). Only available Late October, November, and December so thats a big disappointment. A 4 pack of 12 oz bottles cost $12 so its very pricey but worth it. This hands down is my favorite stout.
Avoid this stout if you care about the price and calories. If you don't I recommend this stout to everybody. (732 characters)

This is probably the best beer I have ever tried. I am a huge fan of stouts, and this takes the cake. Perfect balance of coffee and chocolate, a little creamy, just overall an amazing beer. When poured into a glass has a thick creamy head that gives a nice supplementary flavor to the beer. I would recommend this to anyone who is a fan of Guinness. (349 characters)

I don't drink coffee, not a chocoholic, yet this beer has transformed me like a goddamn werewolf or something. I'll forego the play-by-play of pouring the beer and staring at it before I drink it, Bob Costas, but I will tell you how it tastes.

It tastes like jumping in a fully-equipped Delorean, hitting 88 mph to go "Baaack in tiiime", and french kissing a 1940's Playboy pin-up girl just before brunch. It tastes like someone secretly replaced my ordinary stout with the love child of Juan Valdez and Betty Crocker after an all-weekend long brownie bender.

If you love beer, and you love things that taste good and (spoiler alert) make you feel just plain awesome, then...hey....try it! (694 characters)

Great stout. Drinking one today after 6 months of age, coffee still dominant, but smoothed out a bit. Gets better as it warms. Have another bottle I'll crack open in October after 1 year. Just in time for the fall 2015 offering..

Outstanding beer... (250 characters)

Appearance is a motor oil black with a nice tan head, very nice.

Smell is strong roasted coffee and chocolate, straight forward but strong!

Taste is so good, just as the nose taste is strong roasted coffee, malts, a bit of vanilla, oats and bitter creamy chocolate, some woody smoke. One of the best, or probably the best tasting beer I've ever had.

Mouthfeel is wonderful, nice very full bodied thick and creamy beer.

Overall, to me this beer is perfect for me...such a well balanced great tasting brew. I'm giving this all 5's across the board. (553 characters)

From a bottle.

sBlack as a dark hole with small, rocky khaki head that dissipates quickly leaving persistent lacing.

Dark roast coffee aroma with caramel and chocolate and roasted malt.

Initial taste is coffee followed by dark and milk chocolate sweetness, raisins with a moderately bitter after taste. The balance here is perfect.

The best characteristic is the thick, silky smooth body. Mild carbonation and prominent ethanol warmth.

This beer delivers. Drink this slowly on a cold night sitting by a fire and contemplate how good it is to be alive and drinking a great beer. (584 characters)

Normally I don't like declaring one thing my "favorite," be it a movie, a song, a book or whatever. My tastes just vary so much from year to year and even day to day. That said, Founders Breakfast Stout is my favorite beer. Hands down. It is the beer that got me into stouts. It is the beer that got me away from that devil drink called wine. It rekindled my love affair with craft brews, coffee and even the diseased whore's mitten that is the state of Michigan, a perpetual thorn in the side of common decency and God's favorite state in the Union, my home, the Buckeye state of Ohio.

Breakfast Stout saved my life.

Well no, not really, but it is very good. Every fall my girlfriend and I call up the local liquor store every few days until they say it's in.. Then we go and buy it pretty much every time we get beer until it runs out (so like once a week). Lately we've been buying multiple four-packs at a time because it seems to get more popular and run out quicker every year. I would implore Founders to make this a year round thing, though that might take away from the "specialness" of it. Really, I'd just hope they make more next year.

So what is the actual experience like?

Ineffable.

You'll just have to go out and try it for yourself. The only things I can really say are that it's thick like crude oil with a strong-but-not-too-strong coffee flavor. It will coat your mouth and warm you heart. Honestly, it's just that good. It will open your eyes. It will change your mind, your life, your very soul. It was. It is. It will always be. It is the alpha and the omega. It was there at my first love of stouts, and it will be there at the end of my liver.

Breakfast Stout is one of those rare drinks that pleases everyone. My girlfriend and I have very different beer tastes, but we can both agree that this is the best beer human beings have yet to offer. I feel like high school me, modern me, my mom, my grandfather, my grandmother, my dad, Barack Obama and Rush Limbaugh could all love this beer.

There is no other. Thou shalt put no other beers before me (if it's in season and the bar serves it, of course).

My local bar gets a single keg of KBS a single time per year. Much to my chagrin and eternal shame, I have yet to try it because it sells out in literally two hours, which is pretty much how long it takes to drain a keg by just holding down the tap. I shit you not, this year my girlfriend and I are taking off work and camping out at the bar to ensure we are a part of that two hours. I know it sounds crazy, but you just haven't tried the dream, the vision, the spiritual experience that is Breakfast Stout. Like the crack cocaine, one taste and you'll be hooked. Just try it. Everybody's doing it. (2,738 characters)

This is simply the best beer I've ever had! Im not even really a fan of stouts, but nothing compares to the balance and flavor of this beer. Find it, pick it up pay whatever you have to pay and cherish every sip. (212 characters)

So I had heard that founders breakfast stout is amazing. I didn't think it could live up to all the hype, but it has. This is a fantastic dark and smooth stout. Being a double chocolate stout I expected it to be on the sweet side, but it was perfectly balanced. Without a doubt my go to stout now. Absolutely fantastic. If you see it, get it. You will not be disappointed. (372 characters)

Founders Breakfast Stout from Founders Brewing Company