Founders Breakfast Stout - Founders Brewing Company

Wants: 1,726
Founders Brewing Company visit their website

American Double / Imperial Stout |  8.30% ABV

Beer added by: marburg on 07-26-2003

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Founders Breakfast Stout Alström Bros
Reviews: 3,531 | Hads: 15,050

Let me start by saying I am for sure an IPA/DIPA guy, but this beer knocks any DIPA or IPA I have ever had out of the water. In fact, it turned me into an advocate of stouts.

Dark brown/black pour. Mocha colored head. Smells of coffee and chocolate-caramel.

Tastes the way it smells. Absolutely mind blowing taste of sweet chocolatey coffee. The alcohol is almost completely masked by this dessert-esqe beverage. I received this in a trade, and immediately made a FT ISO thread to get more sent to me ASAP.

I don't care who you are or what you like, you will love FBS

Reviewed July 3, 2006 entered from notes.

Leaves its 12 oz stubby like sorghum from the syrup jar - thick, dark, and slow. A vigorous pour releases 3 inches of espresso foam colored head layered on top. Antique lace clings to the glass. Rocking the glass back and forth reminds me of one of those plexiglass wave toys one might have on a desk.

Odor of strong fresh Italian roast coffee and baker's chocolate but drier and sharper.

Wonderful flavors chase each other around my mouth and dance on my tongue.

Rich thick mouthfeel - absolutely wonderful! 5,5,5,5,5

This is an all around GREAT beer! If you like strong, hardy stouts, try this bad boy out! With a hint of coffee, the name suites it very well. I have to say, it has quite a kick, but even at over 8% abv, it goes down smooth. This is a great default beer. If I'm ever unsure of what I want, this is always my go-to.

A: Bright black with a thin filmn of a head that disappears to nothing.
S: Black coffee to espresso, roast.
T: coffee with hints of chocolate with a hop bitter that suggests espresso on the finish
F: Creamy smooth with a medium full to chey body and medium high carbonation.
O: A very well balanced brew.

A- Pitch black with light brown head. Good head retention and nice lacing.

S- Coffee aroma is strong upfront. Chocolate in the background.

T- Very strong coffee notes at first and chocolate follows. Nice and roasty taste, although I find it to lean more towards the bitter side i feel as if it use a bit more sweetness. Overall it's Awesome.

M- Light carbonation with decent amount of body. Almost perfect here.

O- The body was a bit more heavy and just somewhat sweeter this would be perfect. The strong coffee taste is amazing with the chocolate playing as a supporting role. I find this an almost impeccable beer. I highly recommend.

Poured a deep, gorgeous black body with no light shining through at all and a one finger thick tan stout head. A very good looking stout, perfect for the style. Scents of rich black coffee, dark chocolate, cocoa powder and roast malt. Coffee is the most abundant aroma and is simply wonderful. Overall impression of aroma is of a rich, deep, wonderfully coffee-forward stout. Flavor begins with a strong flavor of dark roast coffee, with just a touch of cream and flavors of rich dark chocolate and cocoa. This moves into a middle that is even more coffee-forward, strongly reminiscent of dark roasted beans before being brewed, with lesser notes of cream, roast malt and hints of cocoa. Finish is coffee-forward, with notes of roast malt, cocoa powder and very dark chocolate and faint alcohol. Aftertaste is rich dark chocolate, strong notes of black coffee and dark roasted malt. Overall impression of flavor is of a nicely coffee-forward stout that keeps from being one note with the wonderful cocoa, dark chocolate and cocoa. Mouthfeel is full bodied with moderate carbonation and smooth, creamy feel. Overall impression mouthfeel is of a nicely rich and creamy Imperial stout that is full bodied, yet not overwhelming and is vey pleasant to drink. Overall this is an excellent Imperial stout that has a wonderful aroma and flavor that are both rich, full and coffee-forward and are not too rich, but perfectly balanced. The mouthfeel aids drinkability and the entire beer is simply wonderful.

Poured thickly into a pint glass. Back with a tan head (half inch head). Lacing resides after pour.

S: abundance of chocolate and coffee.

T: Taste as good as it smells. coffee, chocolate, rich and malty

M; Thick, syrupy, full beer, truly worthy of the name "breakfast stout"

: terrific stout, a beer to be had at breakfast or any time of the day ( the latter my personal preference)

01/26/15 Tasting:
Right before the alleged snow storm of the century for the Northeast. While I prepared our house for heavy snows, potential electrical outages, I decided to sit down with the Breakfast Stout.
I've been tasting so many different states this past month and have been loving them!. But just one aroma, one sip of Breakfast Stout and I was up in heaven again! The Sweet, but too sweet burnt chocolate taste blended amazing with coffee, strong, smooth, rich, powerful

So you get these two intense flavors blended together with a full bodied stout.
Here is when I would vote 10 even when 5 is the highest.

It didnt take much more than holding the bottle. Right then I knew I was in for a total great experience. Once the cap was taken off, the chocolate, the coffee, the mocha, everything just filled the room.
The pour was this jet black magic OIL.... Sliding down the glass with just enough of a white creamy head.
Once my nose was into the glass, all of my senses started to kick in. The aroma, the hops, the malt, everything you can possible think as being good or better was there!
Then the TASTE. Better than the smell or look. It was rich, it was full, it was balanced, it had chocolate, it had enough hops, it had enough carbonation, it held up to the very end.
The finish was almost as GREAT as the Start.

If you have read some of my other reviews, you will know I am a big fan of stouts, even more so with chocolate stouts. I have been fortunate to taste a number of them, but this one will remain at the TOP.

Another tasting of the Breakfast Stout. After tasting many other really super stouts, this one still shines at the top. Right from the start its hard to find fault with this stout. The glassy oil like pour with its relatively small, but not the typical light brown head looks so inviting in the glass. Coffee, or almost espresso is the dominant nose before tasting. Closing my eyes , taking real deep whiffs from the glass, it could really be a cup of espresso. The taste is real big and bold, but soft and round. The espresso decreases a little here and I start to pick up hint of chocolate along with a roasted malt flavor. I really appreciate the little carbonation here, to me it helps balance this one. The mouth feel of this one reminds me of a big California Red Zinfandel, ones around 15% alcohol. Rich, full coats your entire mouth and just slides down your throat for the perfect finish. This Founders does pretty much the same.
Left on a deserted Island with only allowed to have 3 different beers, this one would surely make it.

Had a 10/05/13 brewed Breakfast Stout. Can it get any better. I am beginning to think so

Appearance is a motor oil black with a nice tan head, very nice.

Smell is strong roasted coffee and chocolate, straight forward but strong!

Taste is so good, just as the nose taste is strong roasted coffee, malts, a bit of vanilla, oats and bitter creamy chocolate, some woody smoke. One of the best, or probably the best tasting beer I've ever had.

Mouthfeel is wonderful, nice very full bodied thick and creamy beer.

Overall, to me this beer is perfect for me...such a well balanced great tasting brew. I'm giving this all 5's across the board.

Pours rich dark brown, almost black into a pint glass, with a thick, pillow of off white head, capped with cocoa highlights.

The smell, oh the heavenly smell... Dark Roast coffee, slightly smokey, dark chocolate and an ever so slight hint of leather. This is what heaven must smell like.

The taste is unbelievable. So many flavors, heavy on the coffee and chocolate, with that smokiness again. There's a little black licorice in the background. Every sip intensifies the flavors as this elixir of the Gods coats the tongue.

The mouthfeel is very pleasant. Slightly peppery from the carbonation, but mouth-coating as any viscous RIS I've ever had.

This is hands down the best beer I've ever tasted. I've had it time and time again, and I crave it when I am without it.

This particular growler came direct from Founders Brewery moments after it went on tap.

It's really, really hard for me to find something about this beer that I don't like! Definitely my favorite stout if not my favorite craft brew.

A: Fairly vigorous pour into a snifter. Creates a very dark head. Closer to a light brown rather than just tan. The beer itself is very dark. It holds almost an oil-like quality in its color.

S: It smells of coffee, chocolate, and malty goodness. Although this beer is 60 IBUs, I feel like the hop presence is not as strong as the two coffee blends and chocolate that are brewed with this beer. I would love to try these coffees individually as I am a coffee drinker.

T: This epic Double Chocolate Coffee Oatmeal Stout tastes, well, EPIC. The coffee notes are easily recognizable first, followed by a smooth finish thanks to the coffee and oatmeal. This beer is very smooth and pretty drinkable for an 8.3% abv brew.You can also get the hops out of this beer towards the end of each sip. I like hoppy stouts and this one seems to utilize the hops well. Not too overbearing of course, but nonetheless, this beer certainly packs some hops.

M: The mouthfeel is very solid! Very creamy and smooth in nature. Not too much bite to this beer. Of course the hoppiness adds some bite at the end, but overall, this beer is creamy and gentle in its mouthfeel.

O: Like I said at the beginning, this is definitely my favorite stout, if not my favorite beer. Really well balanced with the ingredients and very uniform and smooth in its taste and mouthfeel. I would highly recommend this brew to all. Cheers!

A - Totally black with a creamy beige head that looks like some nice hot oatmeal.

S - Roasty and malty with chocolate and significant coffee.

T - Roasted malt with a slight bitterness. The chocolate and coffee flavors are a significant part of the taste. Hints of port in the warming alcohol. A slight sweetness.

M - This is a very thick beer. The mouthfeel is wonderfully creamy.

O - This is one of my favorite beers of all time. It's truly a benchmark for any other beer of this style. One thing that will increase your enjoyment of it is to drink it when it is just a pinch colder than room temperature.

Poured from a 12 OZ bottle into a pint glass.
Aroma- It has a crazy bakery smell to it. very enticing.
Appearance- It is like looking into the abyss! it is pitch black. with a small tan head.
Taste- Wow, I am a novice venturing into the stout arena but this is incredible. A mix of coffee, cappuccino and hops.
Palate- A heavy beer body wise with moderate carbonation.
Overall- I am loathe to follow the beer snobs and call this awesome. . . but it truly is.

Pours a dark black, opaque and almost thick with a coco powder color head. Nose is coffee and roastiness. Taste is amazing. Coffee, chocolate, and roast. Flavors come out even stronger as it warms. Terrific and outstanding stout.

This is simply the best beer I've ever had! Im not even really a fan of stouts, but nothing compares to the balance and flavor of this beer. Find it, pick it up pay whatever you have to pay and cherish every sip.

Did I mention that this is my favorite beer of all time? Its perfect in all ways. It smells and tastes like my favorite beverage (coffee) it is easy to find in a bottle and on tap. It is inexpensive and has a good abv so that it does not get you too drunk. This beer tastes like heaven. It smells and tastes just like coffee. I have had this beer so much and it has never disappointed me. It has a nice thick jet black body with a brown head. Medium carbonation and is oh so drinkable.

Phenomenal beer. This is about as good as a stout gets, which says a helluva lot. Excellent mix of dark malts, coffee, chocolate flavors, with no one quality overwhelming the overall taste.

A - Thick pour. Jet black, a bit hazy looking. Looks like oil. Huge tan frothy head that sticks like a mofo. Pillowy. Incredible looking.

S - Oh my lord. Coffee and chocolate. Roasted and smoky. Robust smelling. You can smell the alcohol a bit. I can't imagine this smelling better.

T - Everything on the nose and more. Lives up to the excitement that had built on seeing and smelling this beer. A nice bourbon'ish alcohol tinge on the end that makes it the most pleasantly warming beer I've ever encountered. This is perfect.

M - Thick, thick. Dry as can be. Creamy and chewy.

D - Very drinkable. I wish I could drink this all night, though it might mean I end up destroying things. This is my 100th beer review and this is the best beer I've tried to date. If only it were more findable.

Founders Breakfast Stout brewed by Founders Brewing Company, with an ABV of 8.30% This brew pours out a deep brown color with a nice light brown head. This brew has the look of coffee, not saying that is a bad thing. The smell of Founders Breakfast Stout, is rich with coffee, chocolates,grains, malts, and hops. There is alot going on in the smell of this brew. Now for the taste, it is bold with coffee flavors and chocolates. The taste of this brew is as good as it smells. You also pick up on rosted malts and grains in this brew. Now if you are not a coffee drinker you will not like this brew. However if you are a coffee lover this is the brew for you. The mouthfeel of Founders Breakfast Stout is Bold, rich, and flavorable. I have not had a brew with so much going on in it. Founders Breakfast Stout has a nice balance to it, ther is nothing really overpowering about this brew. I can see why they call it a Breakfast Stout. You also really can't pick up on the 8.30% in this brew. This is on smooth brew. Overall I'm giving Founders Breakfast Stout a soild 5 out of 5. Founders Brewing Company, did a real Nice job with this one. This is a brew I have been wanting to try for sometime now. I would buy this brew again.

Pours deep, rich brown with some tan foam and a bit of lacing.

Smell is a cacophony of bright, acidic coffee, chocolate, oatmeal. Somewhat fruity and nearly indescribable, other than to say: good.

Taste lives up to the delicious smell. Rich, malty carbs support sweet cream coffee flavors. Ends with a perfectly slight bitter bite.

Gummy, thick mouthfeel.

Big huge and surprisingly drinkable. I could most definitely drink this all of the time. Wow.

Happened upon this little treasure at my local beer spot and jumped on it, as I had it on good authority that this was one to try, and boy is it!
It pours a thick viscous black with little to no head and very slight carbonation.

The first taste is an explosion of rich coffee and caramel, followed after a brief swirl around the mouth by more subtle chocolate with a hint of vanilla.

The mouth feel is thick and creamy and the minimal alcohol taste lends to this stouts exceptional drinkability and enjoyment. Going in for number two is a must.

Pours a dark black with a tan foam head that leaves a tin lacing behind. Nose is coffee beans, dark robust malts, dark chocolate and toasted oats. Taste follows suit, dark malt base with strong notes of coffee, cocoa, chocolate, cereal and oatmeal. Mouthfeel is heavily bodied, dry and bitter into the finish.
Overall, this is probably my top beer, so well rounded, balanced and perfect, absolutely delicious. Founders brews incredible beer.

Pours a thick and beautiful, rich black/dark brown with a pretty caramel hued two finger head.

The aroma of coffee, chocolate, and sweet nuttiness gently caresses your nose. It would be impossible not to take a sip after a whiff of this.

Perfectly blend coffee, chocolate, and roasted malts and you have this.

Mouthfeel is thick and creamy, and very much like the label says, it's a breakfast beer.

Overall, this brew is a thing of beauty and anyone and everyone needs to try it, you won't be disappointed.

This is almost as good, if not better, than Kentucky Breakfast Stout. The fact that it's easier to find and about half the price, well... that seals the deal in making this Founders' best beer, period.

A: Completely opaque, pitch black. There's about a finger of chocolate mousse head that laces nearly as nicely as a sticky IPA throughout. Gorgeous gorgeous gorgeous. Doesn't get any better than this.

S: The oatmeal character is immediately noticeable in the form of a roasty grain aroma, and the finish is a big-time coffee punch. Chocolate is definitely there but it doesn't assert itself (as it shouldn't). Smelling this beer is one of its joys - it really does live up to its name. I could easily see waking up from a particularly nice weekend sleep to a glass of this and a grand slam breakfast.

T: Tastes absolutely delicious. Bittersweet chocolate, gourmet coffee, and roasty, toasty oatmeal. It's not missing anything. The mouthfeel is appropriately thick and tongue-coating. There's nothing about this beer that is remotely compromising, and for a beer that's less than 8.5% alcohol, it is remarkably full-bodied. Absolutely lives up to its delicious name and intriguing label. Founders should always consider this to be its flagship beer and should never take it for granted, it's all right there in the taste.

M: The mouthfeel is thick, the thing that a lot of rookie beer drinkers complain about when it comes to dark beer. Each of those people should be handed a glass of this - I'd like to hear someone's explanation as to why this should be any thinner than it is - it's got a lot of body to jive with a lot of flavor and a lot of character.

D: I would dock this beer for being so BIG, but if price and self-esteem weren't an issue, I could easily down about six of these a day. This is how Slim Fast should taste. It's the sort of thing that feels like a meal in and of itself, that completely defies logic when you remind yourself that it's still beer.

Another perfect beer from Founders. Still holding out hope that I'll be able to try Canadian Breakfast Stout one day.

A beer and brewery that changed my life and my view of beer. This beer shows that you don't have to do anything crazy, you just need to do something really well inorder to succeed.

A - Pours like motor oil, a deep black color. The deep brown head was small and faded quickly.

S - Burnt roasted nutty aroma with heavy coffee and hints of chocolate.

T - Smokey and burnt flavors. Finished with the bitterness of coffee. The heartiness of the oatmeal is evident in taste and body. The is a slight metalic flavor as well.

M - Full bodied with a smooth dry finish.

D - Probably more drinkable than it should be. Smooth and creamy they go down smooth. And absolutely fantastic brew. Congrats Founders.

Founders Breakfast Stout from Founders Brewing Company