2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Founders Breakfast Stout - Founders Brewing Company

Founders Breakfast StoutFounders Breakfast Stout

Founders Brewing Company visit their website

American Double / Imperial Stout |  8.30% ABV

Availability: Fall

Released on Sept. 1, 2010.

(Beer added by: marburg on 07-26-2003)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Founders Breakfast Stout Alström Bros
Ratings: 10,438 | Reviews: 3,162 | Show All Ratings:
granger10

Wisconsin

Holy crap this was one incredible coffee stout brewed by Founder's! This beer poured a super dark black color with a really dark tan head that was frothy in texture. Lots of lacing. Smell has an intense roasted coffee note to it, like opening a package of Starbucks whole bean coffee. The flavor on this baby was really, really intense. I you like coffee, you'll love this! Even though roasted coffee was the main flavor there was good balance here. I noticed some malts and some cream flavor and maybe some bittersweet chocolate in the finish. This wasn't a beer one could drink a whole lot of, even though I did have quite a few, because of the intensity and alcohol content (I don't know what it is but it must be somewhat high). This is the most flavorful coffee stout I have had as of yet, and I don't think it could get much better than this. Better than Bell's Java Stout IMO.
original rating: 4.85 (all 5's except drinkability was a 4)

Review edited:
After having this about a gazillion times at the brewery and going through 5 four packs of this since it's been released in bottles I have realized that this is my beer and only straight 5's will justify my love for this beer. I love the roasty flavors mixed with the rich coffee experience then milky chocolate, bitter chocolate, creaminess and smoothness in a thick body. I thought that maybe I would get sick of it but it appears I need it more and more the more I drink it. Just an amazing beer and one that I can get nearly all the time at the brewery. Thanks Founders.

06-14-2004 00:10:20 | More by granger10
lackenhauser

Maryland

Saved my last bottle for 5 months to savor the flavor. Color is pitch black-almost intimidatingly so. Great mix of coffee and dark chocolate in the aroma. You can almost see the coffee grounds in there-its not overpowering but just so "real" like youd find in a cup of coffee in front of you. Flavor of roasted malt with a mix of chocolate is amazing. Theres a lingering sweetness like youd find in a chunk of semi sweet chocolate. Nice grainy flavor in there as well. The harmonious mix of this beer is incredible. Killer body-I cant think of any beer this full tasting going down this smooth-especially a stout. Its almost slamable! Just an incredible beer overall. This is truely a stout to calibrate others against.

09-21-2005 00:15:01 | More by lackenhauser
nortmand

Pours deep, rich brown with some tan foam and a bit of lacing.

Smell is a cacophony of bright, acidic coffee, chocolate, oatmeal. Somewhat fruity and nearly indescribable, other than to say: good.

Taste lives up to the delicious smell. Rich, malty carbs support sweet cream coffee flavors. Ends with a perfectly slight bitter bite.

Gummy, thick mouthfeel.

Big huge and surprisingly drinkable. I could most definitely drink this all of the time. Wow.

10-17-2005 19:26:02 | More by nortmand
connecticutpoet

Connecticut

This beer was obtained in trade from Frozensoul327. Thanks Eric! And thanks in advance for sending a spare!

This one poured out a very dark brown/black, with a one and a half finger head that started out a dark chocolate brown and faded to a medium tan. I know it was clear when I poured it, because I could tell from what I was pouring... but I don't think a ruby laser could cut through this puppy now.

Aroma was bitter chocolate, some sweet dark fruits, roasted barley, and hints of coffee... very powerful and layered. Damn, this one was incredible.

Taste was of strong roasted malts, coffee, and some bitter chocolate. I could tell there was some oatmeal in there as well.

Mouthfeel was perfect... deep, rich, chewy, smooth, silky, all rolled into one. It held onto the tongue just long enough to impart all the nuances of flavor.

Drinkability... well, it is taking all that I have not to run downstairs and grab the other one I have in my special locked cabinet.

This was truly an interesting experience. For a long time I did not like the darker, roasted beers, but I have really gotten a taste for them now. I still prefer IPA's, but these are so different, I am really learning that you can love more than one style equally.

This is a bittersweet review, as well. As I began this review, I found off of Yahoo that Eddie Guerrero, a wrestler with the WWE, was found dead in his hotel room this morning. So this glass is lifted in his honor. I could not find a better beer to toast someone of his caliber with.

11-14-2005 03:27:14 | More by connecticutpoet
ace3

Nebraska

This is, hands-down, the best beer I've ever had the pleasure of tasting. I hadn't heard of it (or Founder's for that matter) before, and just happened to come across the brewery when I was in Grand Rapids for a wedding.

Fantastic coffee smell and flavor in an exceptional stout. Great stuff.

12-06-2006 04:39:51 | More by ace3
Avagadro

A: Black with a chocolate ice cream colored head. Large foamy head forms to begin with and quickly dies down to a thin film that floats on top of the brew's surface. Lower head retention probably due to the high abv, or a glass that wasn't cleaned properly.

S: Wow! There is such a huge amount of aroma coming out of this brew. Coffee is definitely the star of the show, though hints of chocolate and crystal malts also make an appearance.

T:Simply amazing. One of the best stounts I've ever had the privilege to drink. Definite coffee and chocolate flavors are present, as well as chocolate, roasted malt, and crystal malt. This is fantastic.

M: It was a great idea to put oatmeal in this brew. I feel oatmeal gives beer on of the most amazing textures ever. Breakfast Stout has a huge body with a velvety finish. Perfectly carbonated. The beer seems to dance around on your tongue.

D: I will definitely be picking up some more of this. Tasty & enjoyable. Not a session beer, but a great on to start out the night (or morning =D )

12-25-2006 19:52:28 | More by Avagadro
GbVDave

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a pint glass.

A: Pours out of the bottle absolutely black and with the consistancy of old burnt motor oil from a junkyard engine. Wonderful whipped coffee mousse head that recedes to a brown film that resembles the crema (sp?), that lighter brown foam skim, on the top of a perfectly made espresso.

S: Huge nose of roasted coffee, toasted malt, and fresh-baked oatmeal raisin cookies.

T: Big and bold flavors flying all over the place! Roasted coffee, toasted malt, brown sugar, espresso, molassas, oatmeal, bitter chocolate, hops, and burnt stuff.

M: Thick and chewy. This stuff actually pours like Vitamin D chocolate milk so it's silky and creamy like liquid velvet. It completely coats the tongue allowing the finish to linger and develop.

D: Drinkability is off the scale. It's like drinking the best oatmeal stout and the finest espresso while eating a plate of homemade bitter chocolate chip or oatmeal raisin cookies. Alcohol? Shmalcohol. There are so many wonderfully complex flavors and aromas going on here you will totally forget that it's packing 8.3% abv (that's really not that high anymore, is it?). This deserves all of the accolades heaped upon it and then some. Extrordinary!

01-11-2007 00:45:04 | More by GbVDave
Engibeer

Reviewed July 3, 2006 entered from notes.

Leaves its 12 oz stubby like sorghum from the syrup jar - thick, dark, and slow. A vigorous pour releases 3 inches of espresso foam colored head layered on top. Antique lace clings to the glass. Rocking the glass back and forth reminds me of one of those plexiglass wave toys one might have on a desk.

Odor of strong fresh Italian roast coffee and baker's chocolate but drier and sharper.

Wonderful flavors chase each other around my mouth and dance on my tongue.

Rich thick mouthfeel - absolutely wonderful! 5,5,5,5,5

01-16-2007 03:49:32 | More by Engibeer
bobbyc881

South Carolina

Huge thanks to todd1 for shipping some of this down for me!

Pours black, black, black. One of the darkest stouts I've had. Slightly brown around the edges when held to light. Thin, whispy head dissapates quickly.

Aroma is coffee, no doubt. Nice, dark espresso.

Taste is insane. I have a bag of dark chocolate covered espresso beans sitting on my desk, and this beer is without question the liquid version of that. Amazing mouthfeel. Thick and chewy... a perfect match for the bitter dark chocolate flavor of this drink.

The alcohol is completely hidden. Very drinkable. Some beers brewed with coffee overdue it, others, it's barely noticeable. Founders has nailed a perfect balance. A+ Very worthy of the hype.

01-22-2007 01:43:12 | More by bobbyc881
Brad007

Vermont

Pours a very dark color with a head that looks more like chocolate milk, due to being brown and silky. Aroma is rich and creamy with a nice whiff of coffee. Lacing is minimal. Taste is very smooth and creamy with a beautiful chocolate aftertaste. So rich, so beautiful. Nice and chewy. Would make a great breakfast stout, hence the name. The aftertaste is excellent and the delivery totally rules. There's even a hint of oats in the taste.

While not as strong as Worldwide Stout, this beer is still a great sipping beer. Both are probably the only stouts that I've had so far that deserve their ratings.

In regards to Founders, you cannot improve a beer like this. I haven't had the Kentucky variant but this one alone is what a stout should be.

10-26-2007 03:16:41 | More by Brad007
Lupe

Received as part of Black Booty '08 from ahatcher78 - many thanks.

Black as night, no light at all comes through. Looks thick and viscous while being poured. Cocoa colored one-fingered head that settles to a thin cap, and leaves sporadic lacing behind.

Incredible aroma - Lots of roasty and sweet malt goodness. Dark chocolate, coffee, roasted malt, a touch of vanilla, and a hint of alcohol. So inviting.

Flavor is similar to aroma. Starts of with roasted bitterness - bittersweet chocolate and espresso. The beer then instantly sweetens up with milk and dark chocolate, oatmeal, and vanilla. Some herbal hops and spice as well. Notes of sherry, oak, and a light warming alcohol burn. Finish is a battle between sweet malt and dry roast. Absolutely delicious.

Rich and full-bodied, velvety smooth, viscous, thick and chewy. Incredible drinkability - but this is my only bottle!! Perfect amount of alcohol. Wonderfully balanced. Just an exceptional beer that lives up to the hype.

01-09-2008 01:47:35 | More by Lupe
israel

2006 vintage compliments of Jw347(thanks for opportunity to review this beer)

poured into an ommegeng tulip glass...

A - initial pour reveals a veryd ark beer with a thick coffee colored head that quickly disipates leaving just a thin head that mostly clings to the sides of the glass. Upon further inspection this beer is pitch black, so black that zero light passes through it even when held up to a light, wow.

S - the smell presents mild coffee flavors with a strong backing of chocolate, but very well balanced even in the nose. very nice, and very inviting.

T - I anxiously dive into this beer and I'm blown away by how amazingly balanced this beer is. This beer is so well balance it almost seems impossible to pick out individual flavors, but I'll try. The coffee flavors are there but definitely not in the foreground all the while a slight sweetness from the chocolate mingles with the coffee and just blows me away. On top of this the flaked oats add a smoothness that adds so much depth to this beer that I can't put it down long enough to get all my thoughts out.UNREAL

M - creamy, creamy, and creamier oh yeah and velvety. the body is medium with just enough carbonation to open the taste buds up...wow again

D - I can't say enough about this beer; it's amazing. If I could ever get a stash of this stuff it would definitely be put away for at least a couple years.thanks again Jw347

06-12-2008 20:44:13 | More by israel
inhoc00

Walked into Armaneti's on Lincoln to see if there was anything new...and what did I see? Cases of Founders Breakfest Stout staring at me. Must try.

Bottle poured into a St. Bernardus goblet.

A - Thick creamy darkness. As dark as the Dark Lord.

S - Coffee, chicory and maybe my mind is playing games but a bit like cooking bacon. Yumm..

T - Really delicious. I'm not a stout guy but this is really good. Now the chocalate comes but very muted by the coffee.

M - Creamy almost like from a nitro tap. Very low carbonation - excellent.

D - Wow. Granted this is not really an Imperial Stout but the alc still comes in at 8.3. Amazinly easy and pleasurable to drink.

Must say I'm really impressed with this. Had Dark Lord and for the money this is better. Founders makes incredible beer - would love to try the Kentucky Bourbon version.

10-04-2008 01:13:46 | More by inhoc00
BandFan

Washington

As a former Midwesterner, I've had my share of Founders. Everything they brew is amazing. Even when I moved to Seattle -- one of the great beer spots in the US -- I missed it. Breakfast Stout is a big reason why. And now I have my hands on it again.

I won't go beer nerd on you. I will just tell you this beer is outstanding. It's exactly what it says it is: a Double Chocolate Coffee Oatmeal Stout. And it's perfect. Not too much of anything. Easily the best stout I've ever had. It's just as good in the bottle as I remember it from the source.

Stout lovers, get this beer... at any cost.

10-09-2008 01:12:09 | More by BandFan
beereality

This is one incredible looking brew. Big reverse cascading head, after a hard, creamy thick pour. The smell is Coffee up front with strong chocolate presence. Smooth, smooth, smooth. wow, what a great mouth feel. So velvety on the tongue. Wonderful coffee and chocolate smells translate into even better tastes. This is one brew to savor.

11-05-2008 01:18:19 | More by beereality
crazeddaffy

This is a beer everyone has to try straight from the bottle first then poured into a glass. Straight from the bottle all the flavors are more intense.

Poured into an oversized wine glass:
A: Extremely black but with a bit of brown when held up to the light. One finger frothy brown head which fades quickly leaving behind a paper thin brown head that remains

S: Espresso, chocolate, vanilla, milk, but mostly coffee

T: Light espresso with a sweetness from a milk type flavor, roasted something, then some hops at the end.

M: Light carbonation, medium body, extremely drinkable

D: Too tasty and easy to indulge, especially when a bit warmer

11-23-2008 09:51:18 | More by crazeddaffy
yossarian14

Happy Thanksgiving 2008
I'm having a Breakfast Stout for breakfast. This is my 21st review and my first all 5, A+ rating. I can't say enough about this beer. A black hole lets more light through and i want to bury my nose in that coffee foamed head. Smells like good dark chocolate melted into great dark roast coffee perfectly blended into a creamy smooth stout. I have to calm down. Nowhere to go but back down the quality chain from here. Its got to be a sin for an 8.3% ABV to be sooo easy to quaff.

11-27-2008 16:09:55 | More by yossarian14
msolar

Thanks to petes99 for the bottles! (I promise to share the other one).

Pours pitch black with very little head that leaves a minimal lacing. Has strong chocolate and roasted coffee scents (reminds me a lot of chocolate covered espresso beans). Tastes amazing - like chocolate with an aftertaste of coffee. Very minimal alcohol flavoring.

This certainly cracked my Top 5 favorite beers. The Young's Double Chocolate Stout is a bit sweeter with more chocolate flavor, but this beer is more well balanced and drinkable.

My only complaint is its availability. I wonder how much a keg would cost.

12-07-2008 22:18:49 | More by msolar
CoalCellar

Poured from a bottle into my sifter....

A: Pours jet black with a dense brown frothy head that settles to a fine layer of chocolate foam...
S: Smells like fresh, delicious, dark roasted coffee, and chocolate.
T: Taste like fresh, delicious, dark roasted coffee, and finishes with a rich chocolate flavor and a roasted chewy goodness.
M: The flaked oats take this one up a notch, the mouthfeel is thick and chewy.
D: This stuff is smooth. There is absolutely no trace of the 8.5% alcohol. I could sip this stuff all day (or all morning).

12-19-2008 00:51:55 | More by CoalCellar
duke1258

A- Thin tan head completely opaque with great retention, ideal at slightly below a cool temperature 45-50.

S- After a sifter of the KBS, I found the Breakfast to have mostly Chocolate aromas, with some roasted/coffee coming through as I drank it.

T- Complexity improves as it warms. Liquid Breakfast, I actually had malted pancakes before drinking this. I would even recommend trying it over vanilla ice cream or with a piece of apple crisp. It tastes roasty and chocolatey at the beginning with the dark fruit and bitterness of an imperial at the end. Worth the drive if you are within 100 miles of a distributor.

M- Definitely an oatmeal feel with the malty sweetness on the sides of the tongue. It surprised me once again how subtle any alcohol feel/dryness are left afterword. They could amp up the ABV even more and it wouldn't be turned down.

Serving type: on-tap at Founders

04-01-2009 13:30:42 | More by duke1258
drcarver

A beer and brewery that changed my life and my view of beer. This beer shows that you don't have to do anything crazy, you just need to do something really well inorder to succeed.

A - Pours like motor oil, a deep black color. The deep brown head was small and faded quickly.

S - Burnt roasted nutty aroma with heavy coffee and hints of chocolate.

T - Smokey and burnt flavors. Finished with the bitterness of coffee. The heartiness of the oatmeal is evident in taste and body. The is a slight metalic flavor as well.

M - Full bodied with a smooth dry finish.

D - Probably more drinkable than it should be. Smooth and creamy they go down smooth. And absolutely fantastic brew. Congrats Founders.

05-03-2009 00:11:26 | More by drcarver
cmistre

Happened upon this little treasure at my local beer spot and jumped on it, as I had it on good authority that this was one to try, and boy is it!
It pours a thick viscous black with little to no head and very slight carbonation.

The first taste is an explosion of rich coffee and caramel, followed after a brief swirl around the mouth by more subtle chocolate with a hint of vanilla.

The mouth feel is thick and creamy and the minimal alcohol taste lends to this stouts exceptional drinkability and enjoyment. Going in for number two is a must.

05-09-2009 01:50:26 | More by cmistre
Jayli

had on tap 7/18 at The Dirty Truth
I didn't think that one of my favorite beers could get any better... and then I had it on tap. Sweet baby jesus...
This beer poured an opaque black color with a thick, frothy, dark tan head. Great head retention with tons of thick sticky lacng that coated the glass. The coffee nose on this is far more intense on tap than in the bottle, some bitter chocolate and roasted malt notes dance in the background but it's all about the coffee with this one. The first go 'round I rated this beer as a 5 on the taste and having it on tap only solidifies the 5 stance. Insane coffee flavoring. It's prominent and in your face but not over the top. Roasted malt flavoring evens it out a bit in the middle and and creamy flavoring mixed with a deep bitter chocolate round this out at the end. The flavor on this baby was really, really intense. I you like coffee, you'll love this! Even though roasted coffee was the main flavor there was good balance here. I noticed some malts and some cream flavor and maybe some bittersweet chocolate in the finish. This is a full bodied, low carbonation, rich, silky and creamy body with a thick sticky finish to it. In this case, my 5 drinkability lends more to simply sitting and enjoying rather than sessionable. Though... in bottle form I've put a few back. I've always known draft was better but I didn't think FBS could be improved.

07-25-2009 03:04:02 | More by Jayli
canislupus88

This is an awesome brew!! Definitely worth trying.

Pours dark with a very small brown head, which I like to see on a dark beer, it lets me know the amount of coffee and chocolate in it.

Smells like lots coffee and chocolate.

Taste is amazing! Tons of coffee and bitter dark chocolate, good bit of bitterness too. Very complex beer. Taste absolutely no alcohol, I double checked to make sure it said 8.3%

Mouthfeel is suprisingly smooth for the amount of flavor and the intense smell of this beer. This is actually a very smooth beer in my mind.

Easy to drink one maybe two but definitely not too many with the 8% and the way the beer fills your stomach.

I see why this is in the top 20 beers on the planet.

09-16-2009 01:04:08 | More by canislupus88
cdizinno

South Carolina

A: Pitch black and thick with a towering dark coffee colored foaming head. Heavy lacing.

S: Nice roasted coffee and chocolate.

T&M: Full-bodied, smooth, thick and chewy feel on the palate. Oatmeal, roasted malt with a hoppy character mingled in - some herbal spice and leaf. Bitter chocolate. Plenty of coffee flavors. Hints of sherry in the warming alcohol, with a low spice. Sweet malts and dry, bitter alcohol burn.

Breakfast Stout? One of the most interesting American Double Stouts on planet Earth. Absolutely delicious. I've tried this in the bottle previously and a special aged '08 the same night as this one. The fresher the better. I didn't particularly care the '08 as the alcohol scent and taste is accentuated.

12-31-2009 23:40:41 | More by cdizinno