Founders Breakfast Stout - Founders Brewing Company

Founders Brewing Company visit their website

American Double / Imperial Stout |  8.30% ABV

Availability: Fall

Beer added by: marburg on 07-26-2003

Released on Sept. 1, 2010.
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Founders Breakfast Stout Alström Bros

4.9/5  rDev +8.4%

Vigorously poured into a tulip.

A- Breakfast. what'd you do with them? They built for speed or are they built for comfort?

S- Big in coffee and chocolate. Breakfast.

T- BIG - The the swirl to the sip, I don't know where to start. Honestly, This is a huge coffee stout. SO big. Literally, the best part of waking up...

M- Medium full. a little light in response.

O- Oh. It's breakfast. God is Great, God is Good... Cheers.

4.9/5  rDev +8.4%

I've only recently tried this beer a week or two ago, and has since become a favorite of mine.

This was poured into a glass from a standard 12 oz bottle.

A - Opaque and black. Sticks to the glass like syrup. Dark tan head.

S - The coffee is very dominant in terms of smell. Some chocolaty aromas and roasted oats are showing through as well.

T - Wow! Still packs that delicious punch every time! Chocolate and coffee flavors just rush onto your tongue. When I first tried this beer, it was more bitter than I had expected, but not in a bad way. The bitterness still carries some sweet flavors with it thanks to the oatmeal and chocolate. This beer does taste more alcoholic as it warms to room temperature, but still retains that bittersweet deliciousness.

M - Clings to the tongue and the walls of the mouth as easily as it did to the glass it was poured in. Surprisingly smooth and very rich.

D - I could drink this stuff all day. A definite must try and must have for any beer drinker. It is not all that filling and makes a great dessert. A wonderful thing to have after a tough day.

4.9/5  rDev +8.4%

A: Pours black with a slight, dark brown head.

S: Coffee with some chocolate, very nice.

T: Definitely some bitter chocolate and coffee, slightly oaky, but balanced with enough malt that it's very drinkable. Oh yeah, there's the alcohol burn I was waiting for. As it warms the flavors really stand out.

M: Thick but enough carbonation to make it very drinkable. Wow, it's perfect.

D: I really like coffee stouts, and this is one of the best. I could see drinking myself stupid with this one.

4.9/5  rDev +8.4%

Pours jet black with almost no head. Smells like mocha coffee. Tastes like a sweet coffee with chocolate in it. Simply an amazing beer. Surprised that it was a twist off bottle, but had no affect on the taste. The mouthfeel is really light for a stout. Definitely one of the best beers I've ever had. I don't think I could drink more than two in a session, making drinkability the only not perfect score. I don't think I'll ever be able to rate a beer higher.

Side note- out one night drinking with some buddies and used it in place of guiness in an Irish car bomb, absolutely amazing( but instantly drunk). Really kinda felt bad wasting such good beer in a shot. If in a real drinking mood I would definitely recommend trying this.

4.9/5  rDev +8.4%

Finally decided to give this one it's due justice and review it. Poured into a snifter.

A: Pours a midnight black with a small mocha colored head. Looks like a black coffee that was poured a little vigorously. Awesome.

This leaves a small amount of lacing on the glass as the contents in my glass dwindle.

S: A heavy roasted malt and java scent overpower my nose. Chocolate is picked up as well. Smells like morning.

T: A huge coffee and roasted malt backbone. The initial intensity is mind blowing. The oats/oatmeal aspect of this isn't really picked up on the tongue but more in the consistency, which will be discussed in just a moment. Chocolate is also another goodie that Founders has packed into this brew. I can definitely tell that a lot of time was taken into brewing this.

M: A medium to full bodied brew. This is exactly how I would expect this brew to feel. The oatmeal makes this exceptionally smooth.

Overall: This is my favorite brew and I don't see there being a better seasonal brew out there right now. I can't wait to try the variants as I know they could very well take the crown in my book. There's a reason why this is a top 15 beer in the whole world. Upon first learning that Founders had a beer with all these elements, I knew that the second I tasted it that it would be my favorite beer of all time. I'm extremely happy that Founders delivered. They may not have thousands of offerings like some other breweries but the 10 or so that they do compete with the best any brewery has to offer. I'm giving this 5's across the board but as I taste the variants I may have to revisit this. But as of right now, this is the perfect brew for me.

4.9/5  rDev +8.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 5

12oz Brown bottle with pry-off cap and bottled on "09/03/2014". Poured into a snifter.

Appearance: Pours a deep black with accents in the light andc1/2 finger of tan head

Smell: fresh roasted coffee and chocolates

Taste: Full of coffee roasted notes and dark chocolates with bitterness in the middle with balance of all these flavors up until the finish

Mouthfeel: Full bodied and doesn't cover up the flavors

Overall: One of the best flavored stouts anywhere. All the popular stout flavors are present such as chocolate, coffee, and oats. All of these are present and in perfect balance all the way into the finish.

4.9/5  rDev +8.4%

Oh yes this is a damn good beer.

A- Motor oil here folks but with a very thin brown coffee head.

S- Coffee coffee coffe very awesome if you like...you guessed it coffee

T- chocolate and coffee with burnt nuts but in a good way of course

M- not think but nicely creamy

D- all day i wish i could drink this. I feel spoiled that i can pick this up almost year round where i live. Now when will the same be said for KBS....

4.9/5  rDev +8.4%

12 oz bottle courtesy of clvand0...thanks Chris!
Pours a foreboding black. Initial head is near ruby in color, but when it finally settles, a light brown head emerges. The head is dense and easily 2 fingers, lacing is impressive, as is overall retention.
Smell is amazing, even if a bit mild. Chocolate, rolled oats, coffee are in the forefront. Roasty malts are backed by just a hit (a whiff, a smidgen) of hop aromas. The smell just screams: "c'mon wuss...Sure it's 7am in the morning, but you don't need to go to work today, all you need to do is drink me." Although I'm paraphrasing.
Well okay then, I suppose I will succumb to temptation and have a sip. Holy crap! Rich, dark, chocolate. Smooth, rolled oats. Bitter espresso coffee. A bit of hop bitterness is buried in the background. The dominant character is the espresso though, although the chocolate is a close second. The word decadent comes to mind. The flavors mingle and create such a nice experience, it's almost like the best coffee you've EVER had. Screw Juan Valdez, I say drink this.
This beer is an experience, and a great one. I can't really find a single problem here. Drinkabilty suffers slightly because it's not an every day sort of thing, at least I couldn't drink this every day. Even if you break this down to its components, it's still great. As an oatmeal stout, it's good. As a double chocolate stout it's excellent. And as a coffee stout, it's amazing. Wow.

4.9/5  rDev +8.4%

The quality of beer at Founders is always supreme, and this breakfast stout is no exception. Oatmeal, chocolate, coffee and alcohol form the nose with a small hint of banana. Mouthfeel is like drinking heavy silk, and the taste is strongly coffee with cocoa and roasted malt secondary characteristics. Phenomenal.

4.9/5  rDev +8.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Maybe I am bias towards my Michigan Brews but Founder Oatmeal Stout is great Sweet Stout. With flavors of coffee, chocolate, and lightly roasted characters tickle the taste buds, it is easy to get a full stomach on a pint (or two). As dark as they come, this beer has nothing to see through it! My appearance review rating was not all that well because I felt my bartender just overflowed the pint glass and I was not happy about the wasted beer :(

All said though, this is a great sweet stout for those who are looking for a big filling beer!

Cheers to Founders!

4.9/5  rDev +8.4%

Pours a deep deep brown, probably the darkest beer I've ever seen, with a deep brown/tan head that doesn't last very long but while its there it looks amazing.

The nose on this one is roasted COFFEE, COFFEE, and MORE COFFEE as well as rich dark chocolate.

The taste is a total in your face coffee outburst with dark chocolate in there finishing off with a slight bitterness.

The mouthfeel on this sucker while on tap is so velvety smooth its like chocolate milk. Hardly any carbonation noticed in this monster.

This is one beer that improves as it warms up so if served very cold make sure to let this sucker warm up. The first one was so good I had to have another and pissed off my girlfriend in the process having to make her wait another 1/2 hour to finish my "mini-beer" as she called it (10 oz snifter, lol).

4.9/5  rDev +8.4%

I felt like a nice sipper on this warm summer evening. This seemed to be perfect to fit that bill.

On the pour my wife said, "That looks like a balsamic vinegar reduction. How is that so thick?" The Breakfast Stout is blacker than midnight, and I got two fingers of thick tan foam. The foam goes away quickly and leaves a really nice scum.

The smell is amazing. I get a bunch of cocoa and coffee roast. I really enjoy breathing this in. The bouquet is very rich.

The flavor is equally rich. It has a really good coffee taste. I like the chocolate notes in the background. The malt and hops really balance it all out.

This beer is amazing. The sky is blue, and grass is green. I like pointing out the obvious.

look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

4.89/5  rDev +8.2%

Had this for the first time 3 years ago. Braced for a letdown after all the "hype". Not so much! It was awesome then and has been a fave since. Finally doin a review.
appearance: The darkest brown. Full mocha head. Almost impenetrable. Just gorgeous.
smell: Full, roasty, coffee, just the right amount of charred edge. Quite dry. Complex and close to perfection.
taste: All that the nose offers and dialed in perfectly. Balanced, complex, it has it all.
overall: This is a go to beer, one that I could enjoy everyday. Drinking for 3 years, probably have 4 or 5 cases drained over that time. Tried it aged and still awesome - even with the coffee waned still a superior brew. Pick your superlative. It's a hall of famer.

4.89/5  rDev +8.2%

A- Pours a pitch black with a toasted brown head. Kind of like, (surprise, surprise) A nice strong cup of coffee.

S- One of this beers strongest features. Sweet chocolaty oatmeal smell. Make sure to take a good sniff before each sip.

T- Chocolate and oatmeal again. With a strong coffee aftertaste, that lingers for awhile. Which is great, because you do not want this beer to end.

M- Feels wonderful on the palate. Not overpowering. Can't really taste the alcohol. Definitely a beer I could drink in the morning.

D. Originally had this rated lower then a 5, but had to bump it up as I continued to drink. Careful though the ABV, (8.5) and price (cost me $13 for the four pack.) will make you think twice about throwing these back to freely. Plus, this a beer you want to sip, and enjoy over time.

4.89/5  rDev +8.2%

Hands down the best beer I've had overall.

4.89/5  rDev +8.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 5

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a glass..

Poured a viscous cola color with the slightest ruby hue at the bottom. The pour produced a thin head of brown creamy foam.

Smelled like a Manhattan Special coffee soda with the tiniest bit of malt aroma.

Tastes like heaven. Malty up front with loads of coffee flavor. You get a little bit of chocolate sweetness right before the slightly bitter finish. Very well done.

The mouth feel is almost perfect. Just the right balance of stickiness and carbonation. Goes down well. An absolute classic.

4.89/5  rDev +8.2%

This is very much an exceptional beer; the way they manage to cram all the coffee notes of espresso, chocolate, and roasted grain, yet keep it balanced and gentle - this is by no means a harsh or bitter stout... hence the breakfast reference. Both the aroma and taste are heavily espresso/coffee oriented; the mouthfeel is creamy, yet light - not overbearing.

Not a session beer, by any means, too complex and interesting - but worth a visit each Fall as it comes available - if you haven't tried it yet, do so... its a Stout worth writing home about.

4.89/5  rDev +8.2%

Being that this is my highest rated beer so far I had to try it again when I saw it at the liquor store. I wanted to see if the bottled version was as good as on tap and I'm proud to say that it is.

Deep black, viscous and completely opaque. Beautiful whole wheat colored head forms then disappears fairly quickly leaving minimal lacing.

Gorgeous aromas of coffee, chocolate, roasted almond, piney hops and vanilla flood the nose and intrugue the senses.

The roasted flavor in this brew will not quit. It is a complex and delicate dance of dark chocolate, rich coffee and a roasted nutty flavor which leaves any drinker speechless. The hops are highly assertive too with a spicy pine-like character in perfect balance with the roasted bitterness. Some smooth oatmeal and sweet molasses round out the whole experience. These flavors are so complex and assertive yet get along so well in the same glass. It's like putting ten angry bull dogs in the same pen without hearing so much as a growl.

Full-bodied brew yet not syrupy and no sticky texture. Just a lot of smoothness from the oats. Carbonation is very low which is a slight disappointment.

As for drinkability, if you are able to sit and savor this for longer than 30 minutes, you have a much stronger will power than I do. Each sip adds to the brilliant flavor and just leaves me wanting more.

A truly awesome brew! Well done Founders!

Founders Breakfast Stout from Founders Brewing Company