Already subscribe? to manage your subscription.

Founders Breakfast Stout - Founders Brewing Company

Founders Breakfast StoutFounders Breakfast Stout

Wants: 1,679
Founders Brewing Company visit their website

American Double / Imperial Stout |  8.30% ABV

Beer added by: marburg on 07-26-2003

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Founders Breakfast Stout Alström Bros
Reviews: 3,439 | Hads: 14,568
4.2/5  rDev -5.8%

Solid 93% from me. However, age it, age it, age it. The flavors are not nearly as developed in a relatively fresh one I had. It is far better in early spring after the winter. Right now it seems a bit more disjointed and spicy as the flavors are moving through their paces after you swallow, but are each too "raw" and are tuned to a cedar-like intensity. Still I find this beer more drinkable than the KBS which I basically split with someone and have my fill. I think by spring this batch should be just as good as the last. (526 characters)

4.2/5  rDev -5.8%

Thanks to CRJMellor for this trade!

Appearance is black/opaque.

Aromas of coffee, sweet oats, bitter and sweetened imported chocolate.
Kaluah, roasted coffee, and vanilla fudge.

Taste is very chocolatey, coffee/chocolate sweetness fades into coffee bitterness. Nice hop bitterness but I think most of the bitterness comes from the deep chocolate roastiness.

Mouthfeel is full and creamy.

I could drink this beer all day (or until I fall asleep). (462 characters)

4.2/5  rDev -5.8%

Finger of cocoa-cream head with both cream and foam with opaque black body. Not much lacing, but some interesting swirls in the surface memory.

Smells like bitter coffee and super-cacao chocolate, kinda earthy.

Taste has a lot of coffee as well, much more than KBS. That, and the sort of vegetal hop bitterness. Oatmeal rounds off the finish, along with alcohol warmth. Seriously-- all that's missing is bacon and eggs.

Mouthfeel is fine-grained and complementary to the style.

More bitter than its barrel-aged counterpart-- since this is out of season, I imagine it has both developed and toned down the edge of the coffee and any hop presence. Still great. (663 characters)

4.2/5  rDev -5.8%

Bottle via trade, twice. Need to keep track of my trades better so I'll know who to attribute these beers to.

A - Pours black with a nice tan head.

S - Real nice coffee aroma, along with roast and cocoa.

T - Somewhat bitter with lots of coffee, roasted malt, oats, and chocolate. This really would be a nice breakfast beer, and I'd drink it every morning if I didn't mind being a raging alcoholic.

M - Nice and full but a little more astringent and less over-the-top syrupy than something like Dark Lord or whatnot. Some hop/coffee bitterness lasts on the palate.

D - High for an imperial stout. (600 characters)

4.2/5  rDev -5.8%

Ok, so everyone seems to get all bent over this here stout. I think it's great in taste, color & alcohol content but it literally has no head and no aroma. I think it would change my life on nitro, I think i'd have to trade an arm to make that happen. I drink this out of my dirty Lagunitas ball-jar glass and daydream of it served as a Guinness with a shamrock. Haters can comment now. (386 characters)

4.2/5  rDev -5.8%

Thank you to abecall98 for the studying fuel.

A- Poured into a goblet, a soft pour revealed little head initially, after a few seconds a ring formed around the rim of the glass. Its a dark black liquid with a brown head that laces pretty good. Good looking otherwise.

S- The aroma is mainly coffee with hints of dark chocolate. As it starts to warm up there is a bit more oatmeal to the aroma.

T- First impression is lots of coffee. Then lots of mocha espresso taste. Through the middle the chocolate comes through more then the coffee. The aftertaste is predominately bitter chocolate, and seems to taper off too abruptly.

B- Its a full body beer with a good amount of carbonation. There is the definite oatmeal creaminess to this beer. Slight astringency/dryness to the end.

O- Very tasty beer there is a good complement between the coffee and the dark chocolate. Only complaint I would have is that there could be a touch more sweetness to this beer at least at the end where it falls pretty thin. (1,009 characters)

4.2/5  rDev -5.8%

Pours like it doesn't have much carbonation but has plenty in the mouth feel. Nice thickness but not overly thick because of the carbonation. Smell is indicative of roasted coffee/barley. Nice roasted flavor smoothed out by a nice sweet smell. Very delicious imperial stout, not too strong at all. The only down side is that it came in a 12 ounce bottle and I've only got one... Can't wait to try some of the other versions! Overall I would say its excellent, a very bright imperial stout with natural coffee flavors. (517 characters)

4.2/5  rDev -5.8%

Poured a one finger head into a pint glass, nearly black body, sudsy lacing.

Smell is coffee, burnt malt, and floral hops.

Taste is huge coffee with choclate and dark bread.

Mouthfeel is bitter but clean and crisp. The ABV is well masked with this full bodied brew with some carbonation.

This is a tremendous Imperial Stout and I look forward to finishing the rest of this sixer. (383 characters)

4.2/5  rDev -5.8%

I was glad to try this beer finally.I had it out of a Chimay chalice.

Black as the ace of spades.I mean really black.It looks like the Valdez oil spill in my glass.NO head what so ever.No sign of one either as I swirled my glass.

The notes are Espresso,very heavy at that.Chocolate,sorta mild,fruity and hoppy.

Espresso,heavy once again.Sweet chocolate and oatmeal during the end of the sip.Bitterness from the hops.Licorice also in the taste.

Mouthful is very slick,oily,thick,strong,smooth and creamy.Carbonation is light.The abv peaks its head out sometimes.

This beer resembles the "blob" on the movie Creepshow,the Raft segment of the movie.I like this but I think it has too much espresso taste to it.It sorta dominates the taste.I have one for the cellar and its a very complex beer,maybe too complex for me.

***2007 vintage***

Still a funk Oder of coffee.Pours black as night still and still thick as sap.Still taste a lot of coffee more so than any other stout I have tasted.The head or whats left when twirled is nice and brown.Very sexy.The taste is great.I thought the coffee would have died out but its still here and no taste of alcohol.Makes me wish I could cap this back up and have it later.I need to search out some more from this years vintage.Mouthful is very silky then the charge of coffee hits.A+ for this beer time still cant tame this beast. (1,373 characters)

4.2/5  rDev -5.8%

Aroma: Chocolate, Coffee, Toffee and roasted malts

Appearance: Very dark brown and opaque with a thick creamy brown head

Taste: Tastes of coffee and chocolate with just the right amount of bitterness, balanced well with malty sweetness

Mouthfeel: Thick and a little chewy, mild carbonation.

Drinkability: This is a very delicious brew, and could easy drink a couple of these.

Notes: This is a seasonal brew (Sept-Dec) from Founders which I was fortunate enough to try both in the bottle and on tap. Brewed with imported chocolates along with kona and sumatra coffee, this is a coffee-lovers stout. This is a pretty easy to find brew in the South Bend-Mishawaka-Elkhart area, and certainly worth giving a try. (715 characters)

4.2/5  rDev -5.8%

Poured a 12 oz bottle into snifter, served at 55 degrees F.

A- Jet black body with an ample, thick frothy/bubbly chocolate brown head, about 2 inches tall. Gradually, it faded into a light head and then just lace. Light carbonation.

S- Smelled strong of coffee with hints of chocolate and a light alcohol after smell.

T- The taste was exactly what I had hoped for, it smells like it looks. Amazing. Coffee with chocolate is all I can say.

M- Swirling it around in the mouth, its not too heavy, not too light. A little carbonation. it feels like coffee!

D- The drinkability of this fine brew is almost scary. I could sit and drink this particular brew all winter long, and if my local suppliers could keep it stocked, I would.

Serving type: bottle (753 characters)

12 oz bottle poured into a pint glass
Picked up a 4 pack. I liked this more than I'd thought. I'm not a coffee drinker and yet this coffee beer really tasted good to me. I'll be getting this again, my new favorite coffee stout.
Look is black with a small brown head.
Smell is yup coffee and sweet chocolate.
Taste is wow complex. There is a lot going on here I get coffee, roasted malts, bitter chocolate, creamy milk chocolate, some dark fruit maybe, and some bitterness just to round things off. A great balance of a lot of flavors.
Feel is creamy and thick.
Drink I could sit and drink this all night long. There are a lot of flavors and yet I didn't get overwhelmed by them. (679 characters)

4.2/5  rDev -5.8%

This was on draft at the Amsterdam Ale House in Manhattan's Upper West Side.

I would be curious to know how I might have liked this beer if I hadn't already tried the Kentucky Breakfast Stout, which is one of my all time favorites. It is not as good as the KBS but very reminiscent of it and it definitely shares many of the great characteristics.

The color is a dark amber brown with a very dark brown head. Aroma is quite complex with hints of coffee, oats, malt and hops. The coffee and oat also comes through in the flavor and, at a lower abv than the KBS, it's actually a little more drinkable. Overall this is a very delicious beer and I will continue to drink it while it's available. (694 characters)

4.2/5  rDev -5.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Bottled 02/12

Poured vigorously into a 16oz tall glass that yielded a rapidly disappearing head of about a finger nail width.

The beer is quite cold and so aromas are quite difficult to find. Wisps of coffee, burnt chocolate and lots of nose. I don't smell alcohol at all.

Taste is creamy smooth. It is not sweet chocolate, but the chocolate is there. The coffee is not overpowering which I expected after reading several other reviews. The coffee balances well the chocolate. The finish is all bittering hops.

Mouthfeel is perfect. I like the thinkness of it. It is a malty thick.

Overall, I like this beer better than its cousin KBS. I realize that will have me stoned on this site, but the KBS was thin and overly oaky while this balances more flavors with the malty thickness I expect from a big stout. Delicious. I would buy this again. (850 characters)

4.2/5  rDev -5.8%

Received this in a great trade with BA 'spacecoyote'. Split it with fellow BA and good friend 'macktbone'. Served into a lowball glass at about 55°F.

Pours a deep dark brown with a dark tan head. Not a whole lot of head retention going on. Minimal lacing. A bit less viscous than I was expecting.

Smells like seriously strong coffee... the kind they serve at all-night diners that cater to truckers. Coffee, and a bit of roasted malt.

The first thing that comes to mind upon the first sip is cold coffee without cream and maybe a single cube of sugar. It toes the line of being an unbalanced beer, but somehow... it just works. What an absolutely delicious brew. There is a hint of dark chocolate and oatmeal, but you almost have to look for it amongst all that coffee.

I didn't think this was as full-bodied as some of the other reviewers, but this may be due to some of the beers I've been drinking lately. Carbonation is right in the middle, and right where it should be. Finish is slightly bitter, much like that cold coffee mentioned earlier. Despite this, drinkability does not suffer at all. I immediately wanted another.

I can see why these fly off the shelves in the areas where they are available. This would probably be one of my 'go-tos' if it were available here in Northern California. (1,305 characters)

4.2/5  rDev -5.8%

The beer is black with a hint of brown, the head is rather small, nearly brown - a warm color. The bubbles are small, little lacing bu good curtains.

The smell is green dried peas, coffee beans and dates.

A distinct sweetness, dark tastes like dates, coffee, chocolate and licorice.

Small carbonation, a big body oily and round.

A really epic beer, very well done, sampled at beer tasting at De Klomp. (405 characters)

look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

A: Pretty much just black and not sure if it was the pour but there was not much of a head going on

S: Hint of coffee and chocolate.

T: Chocolate stands out with a touch of coffee

M: Smooth, slightly carbonated and goes down well for a stout

O: Good beer and is very smooth one of better stouts I have had (311 characters)

4.2/5  rDev -5.8%

Poured into a standard pint glass.

A: Poured out a midnight black in color somewhat similar to motor oil. A dark caramel head shows itself for a minute then disappears into oblivion. No lacing to mention.

S: Coffee bean, dark chocolate, molasses.

T: You can taste the coffee right out the get go followed by the richness of the chocolate. Some nuttiness in the back rounds things off a bit. Very complex beer, still needs to warm just a tad and looking forward to see how this one plays out.

M: Full in body, chewy, abv noticeable without worry, just enough carbonation to give it a little action.

D: One great sipper if there ever was one. Probably the only time you will catch me drinking in the morning while not at a Bills game. Saving the next few for the upcoming holidays, as this a real treat.

Recommended (820 characters)

4.2/5  rDev -5.8%

As black as it gets with a 1½ finger brown/gray head wich fades to a thin, thin lid.

This beer smells of coffee beans, cacao beans, butter, hints of dark dryed fruits, figs and some grains.

It is dry from the roasted malts. A sourness hits you up front, the figs and maybe some raisins i guess. There's also a sweetness from those two. Then it feels like chewing on some coffee beans followed by a chocolate and buttery taste. The balance is excelent, but I can't help but feeling that there's something missing...

The mouthfeel is very nice. It is smooth and gentle with very low carbonation and a thick feel to it. Just what i want in a beer like this. Very good indeed. (678 characters)

4.2/5  rDev -5.8%

Poured into a brandy snifter for lunch today.

A: Dark and almost as thick as Hersey's syrup. No light coming through this beer, even near the edge of the glass. A nice creamy tan head sitting on top.

S: Very appetizing coffee and chocolate.

T: Wow, a lot more coffee than I was expecting. Bitter, chocolaty, but smooth and creamy. Really nice.

M: Great, so great. Smooth, low carbonation, just really nice.

D: It went so fast, super easy to drink. Might be a little rich to drink too much too often. (506 characters)

4.2/5  rDev -5.8%

This beer pours black with a light milk chocolate head. Not a lot of lacing, but a nice looking beer.

Chocolates, roast, some sweetness and of course coffee.

Tastes like iced coffee with dark chocolates. Lots of sweetness. Just well balanced sweet and bitterness. No alcohol is detected. Dangerously drinkable. Chocolate really shines as it warms.

Has a nice slick oatmeal mouthfeel.

One of my favorites. A world class stout you don't have to wait in line or truck-chase for? Yes please. (491 characters)

look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Viscous black with ruby highlights and a violet-tinged beige head that's creamy and trails.
Roasted coffee, lavender, and dark chocolate on the nose with a bit of smoke.
Boysenberry, chocolate, Fig Newtons, brown sugar, an oily coffee bite, a touch of marzipan and light cedar hops.
Camp coffee finish and red berry linger.
Medium-full, silky, chewy.

Velvety, integrated and waaay drinkable. The chocolate is much bigger than the coffee. Sips compulsively like fresh baked cookies.

Deserves the rep. (502 characters)

4.2/5  rDev -5.8%

I poured this into a snifter and it poured like a black silky syrup. There was no head which had me worried. It is pitch black, one of the darkest beers I have ever had. It smells like espresso, dark chocolate, and alcohol. At first this beer seems very espresso like as I taste mostly cofee notes. As it warms the chocolate notes are more pronounced. I think it gets better as it warms. It becomes more creamy and tastes much better. It is somewhat strong but I plan on having one more before the night is done. It is a good beer and I am glad I was able to try it. (566 characters)

4.2/5  rDev -5.8%

Looks like... a dark beer. Blacker than Wesley Snipes.

Smells wonderful. Dark chocolate/spicy coffee with some hops. You can tell this beer is going to be slightly bitter.

Tastes spicy. Has hints of dark chocolate (I'm talking about 90% real dark chocolate here) and some kind of spicy coffee.

I'm going to say this is medium bodied but on the thicker/heavier side. I really like the body of this beer.

This beer is excellent. I got it for $12(not including tax) for 4 bottles but it was worth every penny. Would be great if this was year round. (550 characters)

4.2/5  rDev -5.8%

Conservative pour into Grand Marnier snifter produces a very tiny head which vanishes quickly leaving a coffee ice cream colored ring around the edges which seems to last throughout the entire glass.

A- Pitch black color with a quality consistency. I attempted to shine a keychain flashlight through the liquid, But just as I thought there was no shining through whatsoever.

S- Coffee! And tons of it. No this isn't your typical supermarket crap or Dunkin Donuts, Starbucks etc. This is some super kick ass coffee!!! I am starting to pickup a mild Mocha smell but the chocolate is very subtle, which harmonizes quite nicely with the exteme Java smell. Grinds and a touch of alcohol round out the nose of this tasty elixir.

T&M- Bitter dark chocolate, molasses, powdered cocoa & oats all match up well with the extreme Java rush. Mouthfeel is a little thick. Brief sweetness mid palate leaving a roasted creamy finish.

D-Quite good actually. It wouldn't be a problem consuming two of these consecutively.

I was lucky enough to find this the other day, So i picked up a couple of four packs.
(Glad I DID!!) An all around exceptional beer and well worth picking up if you haven't tried it. (1,192 characters)

Founders Breakfast Stout from Founders Brewing Company