Founders Breakfast Stout - Founders Brewing Company

Wants: 1,727
Founders Brewing Company visit their website

American Double / Imperial Stout |  8.30% ABV

Beer added by: marburg on 07-26-2003

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Founders Breakfast Stout Alström Bros
Reviews: 3,533 | Hads: 15,062

A: Pitch black and thick with a towering dark coffee colored foaming head. Heavy lacing.

S: Nice roasted coffee and chocolate.

T&M: Full-bodied, smooth, thick and chewy feel on the palate. Oatmeal, roasted malt with a hoppy character mingled in - some herbal spice and leaf. Bitter chocolate. Plenty of coffee flavors. Hints of sherry in the warming alcohol, with a low spice. Sweet malts and dry, bitter alcohol burn.

Breakfast Stout? One of the most interesting American Double Stouts on planet Earth. Absolutely delicious. I've tried this in the bottle previously and a special aged '08 the same night as this one. The fresher the better. I didn't particularly care the '08 as the alcohol scent and taste is accentuated.

Poured from the bottle into a clean tulip glass - this one I wanted to be able to capture the aroma and look of it -

It poured a beautiful black velvet with medium dark head that sat upon the black as sin body. The Aroma of this beer immediately hit my nose and began making me want more. As I drew closer to the glass, getting nearer to the tulip. the most amazing and perfect smell of coffee with hints of dark chocolate arise. Perfectly roasted beans tantalize the nose!

Taste - this is where it all comes together - nice dark and roasted malts hit you first, sliding over the palate where it dances on your tongue where bitter and dark chocolate flavors meet and combine into this fantastic brew.

Mouthfeel - a bit more on the medium to heavy side, the carbonation is perfect for the style.

Overall - this is my favorite stout, I have yet to have a better stout than this one. I always look forward to it's arrival on the shelves and I'm enjoying my last one tonight. What a world-class beer!

This beer was obtained in trade from Frozensoul327. Thanks Eric! And thanks in advance for sending a spare!

This one poured out a very dark brown/black, with a one and a half finger head that started out a dark chocolate brown and faded to a medium tan. I know it was clear when I poured it, because I could tell from what I was pouring... but I don't think a ruby laser could cut through this puppy now.

Aroma was bitter chocolate, some sweet dark fruits, roasted barley, and hints of coffee... very powerful and layered. Damn, this one was incredible.

Taste was of strong roasted malts, coffee, and some bitter chocolate. I could tell there was some oatmeal in there as well.

Mouthfeel was perfect... deep, rich, chewy, smooth, silky, all rolled into one. It held onto the tongue just long enough to impart all the nuances of flavor.

Drinkability... well, it is taking all that I have not to run downstairs and grab the other one I have in my special locked cabinet.

This was truly an interesting experience. For a long time I did not like the darker, roasted beers, but I have really gotten a taste for them now. I still prefer IPA's, but these are so different, I am really learning that you can love more than one style equally.

This is a bittersweet review, as well. As I began this review, I found off of Yahoo that Eddie Guerrero, a wrestler with the WWE, was found dead in his hotel room this morning. So this glass is lifted in his honor. I could not find a better beer to toast someone of his caliber with.

Happy Thanksgiving 2008
I'm having a Breakfast Stout for breakfast. This is my 21st review and my first all 5, A+ rating. I can't say enough about this beer. A black hole lets more light through and i want to bury my nose in that coffee foamed head. Smells like good dark chocolate melted into great dark roast coffee perfectly blended into a creamy smooth stout. I have to calm down. Nowhere to go but back down the quality chain from here. Its got to be a sin for an 8.3% ABV to be sooo easy to quaff.

Probably one of the most complex beers I have ever tasted. It is amazing when served in the Dogfish Head goblet. The best beer I have ever had.

I enjoy the mixture of flavors that come off the beer. You have to really allow your pallet to just eat up all the amazing flavor that this beer provides. Possibly one of the best breweries in the United States.

This is the epitome of stout beer brewing that all other stout beer should try to achieve. The subtle smooth flavor make this a very enjoyable experience.

Holy crap this was one incredible coffee stout brewed by Founder's! This beer poured a super dark black color with a really dark tan head that was frothy in texture. Lots of lacing. Smell has an intense roasted coffee note to it, like opening a package of Starbucks whole bean coffee. The flavor on this baby was really, really intense. I you like coffee, you'll love this! Even though roasted coffee was the main flavor there was good balance here. I noticed some malts and some cream flavor and maybe some bittersweet chocolate in the finish. This wasn't a beer one could drink a whole lot of, even though I did have quite a few, because of the intensity and alcohol content (I don't know what it is but it must be somewhat high). This is the most flavorful coffee stout I have had as of yet, and I don't think it could get much better than this. Better than Bell's Java Stout IMO.
original rating: 4.85 (all 5's except drinkability was a 4)

Review edited:
After having this about a gazillion times at the brewery and going through 5 four packs of this since it's been released in bottles I have realized that this is my beer and only straight 5's will justify my love for this beer. I love the roasty flavors mixed with the rich coffee experience then milky chocolate, bitter chocolate, creaminess and smoothness in a thick body. I thought that maybe I would get sick of it but it appears I need it more and more the more I drink it. Just an amazing beer and one that I can get nearly all the time at the brewery. Thanks Founders.

Duvel Tulip
Two weeks aged

A: Aggressive pour, big one finger light brown head. Very dark brown almost black can not see through. Great sticky lacing.
S: Huge coffee/espresso, Roasted Malt, Dark Chocolate, , Sweet Milk Chocolate, touch of vanilla.
T: Taste as the smell suggests. Roasted, chocolate, slightly sweet. Light bitterness to balance this out in the end.
M: Smooth, creamy fantastic. Lingering bitterness
D/O: This is super drinkable. The 8% plus ABV is very well hidden. Can't put it down. This was fantastic especially when fresh.

On tap at Stone 44 Public House about one month ago. Going from memory as best as I can remember.

A: Pitch black ; thin tan head that dissipates quickly. Viscous like used 50 weight motor oil.

S: roasted coffee and dark chocolate dominate the nose, some strong alcohol esters in the foreground.

T: Oh yeah: so rich and decadent. Tastes of rich coffee and sweet milk chocolate. warming alcohol finish

M: velvety smooth.

O: Oh how do I love thee, let me count the ways. My hands down favorite for all time. I've had this in bottle form many times over the past several years, but was fortunate enough to experience on tap from an appropriately aged keg(about 4 months) just recently. I slightly overindulged on this particular evening. 5 pints in a row as I recall, and had to take a taxi home. It was a good night. I can't say enough to express my undying love for FBS. Thank you Founders for creating a beer just for me. So perfect in every way. I would even consider mainlining it. IV anyone?

Black as midnight with a coffee colored head. The head on this is amazingly thick. Nice retention and stickiness.

Black coffee, bitter chocolate, and a slight sweetness from the oatmeal. Honestly, I don't think I've smelled a better brew.

Each mouthful of this brew has a different taste. One sip you get chocolate, with another you get coffee, and with another you get the oatmeal. This is rich and thick. Complex most definitely. Damn good.

Perfect as an after dinner beer. This one could easily be an all nighter or a one and done. It's really up to the mood of the drinker. Me? I think it's a perfect dessert beer to go with your tiramisu or perhaps that luscious chocolate cake.

This is probably the best beer I have ever tried. I am a huge fan of stouts, and this takes the cake. Perfect balance of coffee and chocolate, a little creamy, just overall an amazing beer. When poured into a glass has a thick creamy head that gives a nice supplementary flavor to the beer. I would recommend this to anyone who is a fan of Guinness.

Impossibly huge coffee/espresso notes on the nose and tongue, along with other typical stout profiles (chocolate, roasted malt, etc.) Medium carbonation. Good retention. The +8% ABV is extremely well hidden. Perfect example of the style. So delicious.

Pours pitch black with a healthy brown head which clings beautifully to the glass. Bold, authentic coffee aroma with rich, dark chocolate and toasted malt elements in the aroma. One can really taste the added ingredients! There's a nice bitter hop nuance present in the end that is a wonderful surprise. The mouth feel is quite full and smooth. All of the flavors mesh perfectly... it's nothing less than spectacular! I can find no faults in this libation whatsoever - it's truly one in a million. For the lovers of big beers and the almighty java, this could be the sweetest nectar of the gods...

Appearance: Poured from a bottle into a tulip glass which resulted in a very small head, maybe the size of the thickness of a pencil, which dissipated within 1 full minute. Very dark, almost black with a hint of bronze in the head.

Smell: Strong coffee and chocolate, as one would expect

Taste: Again, coffee up front and chocolate on the back end, perfectly balanced. A little caramel in there too. No prolonged aftertaste which is a pleasant surprise. You really could drink this stuff for breakfast and it wouldn't seem out of place.

Feel: a touch of carbonation, but not overly carbonated. Just enough to give you a little bite and remind you what you're drinking.

Overall: Not much to criticize on this one. You know what to expect going in and it doesn't disappoint from pretty much any aspect. You're not going to drink more than 1 (maybe 2) of these so sit back and enjoy it with an old fashioned donut. Not a glaze. Not a Boston creme. An old fashioned.

Appearance - Dark as night, motor oil, viscous, can't see a damn thing through it. barely any head, but the khaki bubbles linger and make it gorgeous.

Smell - WOW coffee, espresso. If you have ever had a chocolate covered espresso bean this is what it smells like

Taste - Exactly like the nose. Chocolate covered espresso beans, some char in the backbone, such an amazing beer.

Mouthfeel - Chewy at 8%, perfectly carbonated.

Overall - This was a short review for me, but this beer gets an absolute A+ for me, balanced perfectly, nothing too over the top, just an incredible beer. Coffee, chocolate, espresso shine through, i feel privileged to be able to drink this. Thank you founders.

Poured from bottle into imperial glass. This is a special review and a beer Ive wanted to get ahold of for quite some time.

Poured a motor oil black with a one-finger mocha-colored head. Totally opaque...no light penetration whatsoever. Poured very smooth, as expected.

Aroma is that of black coffee up front with hints of dark chocolate, roasted malts, and oat. Smelled absolutely immaculate.

Wow! The taste follows the nose. Black coffee, dark chocolate, roasted malts, and some oatiness. Little bit of bitterness too on the back end. This is just amazing. At 8.3% ABV, there is no hint of alcohol whatsoever. If you like coffee, this is right down your alley. Breakfast in a bottle...

One word...rich. The mouthfeel is creamy, thick, and velvety smooth going down. Definitely a full-bodied brew, but it offers superb drinkability. I had to stop myself from drinking this heavenly nectar too fast so I could savor it, but its just that friggin' good!

Overall this is the best stout, and to date, the best beer I have ever had, period. I have never given a perfect score to a beer on here before, but this one gets it from me. Very refreshing to see a much ballyhooed beer live up to its enormous hype. If you like stouts, drink this. It will change your life forever. Its that good. Thank you to Founders for this amazing take on an imperial stout. Now if I could only score some KBS and CBS...

Normally I don't like declaring one thing my "favorite," be it a movie, a song, a book or whatever. My tastes just vary so much from year to year and even day to day. That said, Founders Breakfast Stout is my favorite beer. Hands down. It is the beer that got me into stouts. It is the beer that got me away from that devil drink called wine. It rekindled my love affair with craft brews, coffee and even the diseased whore's mitten that is the state of Michigan, a perpetual thorn in the side of common decency and God's favorite state in the Union, my home, the Buckeye state of Ohio.

Breakfast Stout saved my life.

Well no, not really, but it is very good. Every fall my girlfriend and I call up the local liquor store every few days until they say it's in.. Then we go and buy it pretty much every time we get beer until it runs out (so like once a week). Lately we've been buying multiple four-packs at a time because it seems to get more popular and run out quicker every year. I would implore Founders to make this a year round thing, though that might take away from the "specialness" of it. Really, I'd just hope they make more next year.

So what is the actual experience like?

You'll just have to go out and try it for yourself. The only things I can really say are that it's thick like crude oil with a strong-but-not-too-strong coffee flavor. It will coat your mouth and warm you heart. Honestly, it's just that good. It will open your eyes. It will change your mind, your life, your very soul. It was. It is. It will always be. It is the alpha and the omega. It was there at my first love of stouts, and it will be there at the end of my liver.

Breakfast Stout is one of those rare drinks that pleases everyone. My girlfriend and I have very different beer tastes, but we can both agree that this is the best beer human beings have yet to offer. I feel like high school me, modern me, my mom, my grandfather, my grandmother, my dad, Barack Obama and Rush Limbaugh could all love this beer.

There is no other. Thou shalt put no other beers before me (if it's in season and the bar serves it, of course).

My local bar gets a single keg of KBS a single time per year. Much to my chagrin and eternal shame, I have yet to try it because it sells out in literally two hours, which is pretty much how long it takes to drain a keg by just holding down the tap. I shit you not, this year my girlfriend and I are taking off work and camping out at the bar to ensure we are a part of that two hours. I know it sounds crazy, but you just haven't tried the dream, the vision, the spiritual experience that is Breakfast Stout. Like the crack cocaine, one taste and you'll be hooked. Just try it. Everybody's doing it.

It's true, this is a perfect stout. It has a bold and balanced flavor and aroma of smooth strong coffee. It pours well and has a rich and surprisingly smooth mouthfeel. Overall, I could have one of these as a treat or enjoy a leisurely session any time!

As a former Midwesterner, I've had my share of Founders. Everything they brew is amazing. Even when I moved to Seattle -- one of the great beer spots in the US -- I missed it. Breakfast Stout is a big reason why. And now I have my hands on it again.

I won't go beer nerd on you. I will just tell you this beer is outstanding. It's exactly what it says it is: a Double Chocolate Coffee Oatmeal Stout. And it's perfect. Not too much of anything. Easily the best stout I've ever had. It's just as good in the bottle as I remember it from the source.

Stout lovers, get this beer... at any cost.

Walked into Armaneti's on Lincoln to see if there was anything new...and what did I see? Cases of Founders Breakfest Stout staring at me. Must try.

Bottle poured into a St. Bernardus goblet.

A - Thick creamy darkness. As dark as the Dark Lord.

S - Coffee, chicory and maybe my mind is playing games but a bit like cooking bacon. Yumm..

T - Really delicious. I'm not a stout guy but this is really good. Now the chocalate comes but very muted by the coffee.

M - Creamy almost like from a nitro tap. Very low carbonation - excellent.

D - Wow. Granted this is not really an Imperial Stout but the alc still comes in at 8.3. Amazinly easy and pleasurable to drink.

Must say I'm really impressed with this. Had Dark Lord and for the money this is better. Founders makes incredible beer - would love to try the Kentucky Bourbon version.

Poured from a bottle into pint glass
A - jet black pour, small expresso head, lotsa lacing
S - coffee, and chocolate
T - even more coffee and chocolate, and some fruity nights that are hard for me to detect
M - wonderfully smooth
O - absolutely amazing beer, completely lived up to the hype I have heard about it, Not my favourite, or an everyday beer, but possible the best I have ever had

Served on tap in my home bar. As good as it gets. Black as night with a perfect brown head. Smell is of iced coffee and semisweet chocolate. Flavor is roasted but not such that it over powers your palette. Sip it slowly because it gets better as it warms. Make sure to pour into a glass that allows a good whiff with every sip.

The "gold standard" of coffee stouts. perfection. Coffee on the nose, but not too overpowering that the the toasted malt disappears. The taste is simply everything you expect from a balanced stout. The malt characteristics of the stout are nicely balanced with the maltiness of the stout. For anyone looking to brew a perfect breakfast stout, this is what should be used as a guideline (IMHO).

Tapped into a mug.

Appearance - Medium to deep brown head with solid retention. black body. Good stick.

Smell - Cappuccino. Cinnamon. Coffee. Maybe a mocha. Complex and delicious.

Taste - Explosion of complexity. Iced coffee mocha/cappuccino all the way.

Mouthfeel - Explosive effervescence. No astringency. Somewhat creamy head.

Overall Drinkability - No off flavors whatsoever. Best imperial stout I've had since The Abyss. Maybe even better.

A- Next to black with a dark tan head. Almost impossible to see through. Uh-mazing.

S- Dark chocolate, like the kind my friends brought back from Germany. Coffee, vanilla, roasted malts, oats, almost chocolate milkshake-like. So, so inviting.

T- Everything in the nose plus more. So much that my tongue can't even decipher them all. A bit of an alcohol kick in the end. Unbelievable.

M- Thick, with a perfect amount of carbonation. This beer is hearty enough that it could be breakfast in and of itself. And I don't mean a bowl of Cheerios in the morning. This is hearty like biscuits and gravy, an omelet, bacon, sausage, toast, a muffin, cornbread, quiche, orange juice, and a big glass of milk. A beer that truly lives up to its name.

D- What else can I say? I can't believe I'm giving this all 5's, but I honestly can't find a single thing that could improve with this beer. This is definitely the best stout I've ever tried, if not the best beer. Excellent.

Founders Breakfast Stout from Founders Brewing Company