Founders Breakfast Stout - Founders Brewing Company

Wants: 1,470
Founders Brewing Company visit their website

American Double / Imperial Stout |  8.30% ABV

Beer added by: marburg on 07-26-2003

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Founders Breakfast Stout Alström Bros

4.25/5  rDev -6%

This stuff is thick and real dark. It pours and looks like spent motor oil. I consider that a positive.

The first thing I got on the nose was brussel sprouts. Really. It must be some peculiar combination of the oatmeal, chocolate, and coffee, combined with my own particular body chemistry. But it wasn't just the first whiff of the first one. It's been all the way to the bottom of both glasses I've had. It's shocking.

The taste is lots of oatmeal with a hint of coffee to me. I'm not getting much chocolate, so I'm guessing that it's one of those things like bass in a metal band, that you'd notice if it were gone, but can't point to it in particular.

The mouthfeel is huge, like a creamy soup. Love it.

It's not super boozy, but it feels like eating a meal. I could drink maybe two of these most nights.

Big fan of the beer, even with the bizarre nose, which seems to be something with me and not with the beer.

EDIT - After drinking a couple hundred brews between loving this one and not, I've found the coffee to be a little on the stale side. It's still a world-class stout, but after having this and Expedition on back to back nights, I had to shift around the ratings to reflect the change in my tastes.

EDIT 2 - Had 2010 and 2011 vintages at a Founders brunch in our tasting group. Both of them had a strange vegetal off flavor. I know, coffee beers have to be enjoyed fresh, but 6 months should not turn an otherwise good beer into a drainpour. I've tasted faded coffee before and this wasn't that.

Founders Breakfast Stout from Founders Brewing Company